Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: NEW SEMI-PUBLIC PAENINSULA ITALICA PATCH V0.86 BETA

Hister's Avatar Domesticus

Default NEW SEMI-PUBLIC PAENINSULA ITALICA PATCH V0.86 BETA

PAENINSULA ITALICA
    PUBLIC RELEASE VERSION 0.86 BETA

FOR ADMINS: A new balanced EDU has been made as a hotfix 2 so this release can go fully official on the main news page! Campaign hasn't yet been balanced for this new EDU so some factions might go in red financial numbers from the beginning. This problem will be fully addressed in next 1.0 version to come.

A brief note on thePaeninsula Italica modification

Welcome enthusiast of pre Roman era and all the casual lurkers who are about to try the mod Paeninsula Italica. We are glad that you are interested in our work for which endless hours of “love, sweat and tears” were put in by many different people. This mod has been in development for a “very” long time and we are proud that although Empire Total War is slowly knocking on everybody’s doors we are still here to accomplish what has been promised some years ago: to make a playable, enjoyable and historically accurate representation of pre Roman era Italian peninsula with many of it’s interesting historical facts, ancient tribes, factions, federations and cultures which in the year 333 B.C. existed in what is now Italy and parts of Switzerland, France, Slovenia and Croatia. We did our best to achieve that goal and although the newest 0.86 version of the mod still lacks many things we can now say we have achieved what has been undertaken so long time ago. One might ask why we needed so long time to come to this point. Modders know that many obstacles await them when they embark on the project of total conversion from vanilla game to something in many aspects completely different and new. Usually it’s the so called “real life” matters that prevent us from our desires, sometime we lose the enthusiasm to keep going on. All those things happened many times to members of Paeninsula Italica but some of us keep going on… Nevertheless we have now reached the point when only one big final push is needed for the 1.0 to be published. As previously we hope that some of you are willing to invest his/her precious free time to help us achieve that goal.

The newest public release PI v0.86

PI 0.86 version of the mod is a whole package meaning that all previous versions of the mod are compiled in it (public and internal versions) together with fabulous music our musician Garve created especially for our mod. We decided to do this in order to avoid possible confusions and to simplify the whole installation process. Possible new patches in the future will be also applied more easily by doing so. Hereby we say sorry to all those who will need to download our mod from scratch although they already have previous versions of the mod installed.
    The director of the mod Luciano B encountered overwhelming real life matters after releasing 0.72 version of the mod that prevented him from being active on it any more. I (Hister) took over the project in order not to allow the mod to die out when it was so close to being finished. With the active help of PI enthusiasts (DaVinci, Aper, CocoBongoClub DJ, HouseOfHam, Benz282 and others) I managed to compile a very satisfying version which was very close of being published but latest EDU version unbalanced the way we intended the game to play out. In addition to that all my spare time was swallowed by my new jobs and I also lost some of the driving force that previously led me to work on Paeninsula Italica. Recently I got the love for PI back - I wish I would also have as much free time as before I started working so that I could make additional work on this beauty. It doesn't need much more to be really considered as finished product - really!
    I also wanted all the reported bugs to be fixed but I haven't had the knowledge to fix it by myself and time of other team members was short to...

In this version the EDU is unbalanced so the latest balanced version is included in the hotfix.
    Hopefully this public release will burn the old protagonists of the mod and possibly also new PI fans to invest some more additional time of theirs to polish PI and make the whole PI package even more closer to 1.0. A lot of work has been done since the initial semi-public release of 0.86 version! Check this thread if you wanna know what currently remains to be done prior to public 1.0 release.
    I hereby say a BIG THANK YOU to all the past and future PI contributors - you know who you are

DOWNLOAD LINK for PI v0.86 BETA

-- Thank you Mediteran for uploading it for me!

TORRENT LINK 1
    -- Please seed for us!

HOTFIX 1:
    There is a bug in the script that sometimes prevents players from saving their campaign. Make sure to apply this hotfix!
    After you install the mod go to ...\PI\data\scripts\show_me\ folder and overwrite the original file with this one:
    click me

HOTFIX 2:
    Plase apply this newest balanced EDU version! Go to ...\PI\data\ folder and overwrite the original file with this one:
    click me

If you would only like to listen to Garve's music especially made for PI without having to download the whole mod click here.

Requirements:
    What you need is vanilla (unmoded original game) Rome Total War game upgraded to Barbarian Invasion expansion (patched to 1.6) and nothing else. If your PC can handle original game then this mod will work perfectly fine on it but make sure that you set all the graphical details to highest in order to avoid some units not being visible on the battlefield due to the fact that not all sprites have been done for them.
    If you have some other mods installed over your original game make sure that those mods are modfoldered meaning that they don’t override any original files of the game. If they are not modfoldered we can’t guarantee that this mod will work properly – most likely it won’t even start up. Make sure that you follow installation instructions to the letter in order to avoid unnecessary problems and questions on the forum.

Installation instructions:

First you have to move the file you downloaded with the name “PI v0.86” in the main folder where you have your RTW BI installed. See example below:

Right click on the PI v0.86 file and then “extract here”. The content of the file will be extracted in the main game folder. Say yes when asked to overwrite.
    In order to unrar/unzip the content you have downloaded you need to have any of the following programs - WinRAR, Winzip, 7z or similar software installed on your PC. They are freeware and you can find them via google.

This is what you should see if you extracted the content properly. Make sure also to apply the hotfix that you can find next to the mod's download link! Start the mod with double clicking on Paeninsula Italica shortcut. Enjoy the game

Now you need to apply HOTFIX 1 and HOTFIX 2 that you can find above!

For all the troubleshooting head to our forum on Rome Total Center here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91

*Provincial campaign is disabled in the main menu to avoid confusion from the players. Start the campaign by clicking on Main Campaign!

The difficulty recommendation for playing this patch is:

- for all factions M/M.

Changelog and new gameplay description

Many things have changed since the last published 0.72 version. That version was a base on which we wanted to build new features. It lacked real economy; many things were random, simplistic, etc. We consider the 0.86 version to be a huge step forward. Below you can read some brief descriptions of changes and how they affect the gameplay.

- A lot of detail was put in economy to be as historically correct as possible. In order to achieve that we adjusted base farm level for every region and added historically correct resources. Base farm level has been adjusted according to the actual quality of the farming soil in PI’s regions. Samnites for example have poor soil with little farming income while prominent Etruscan farming areas give very high incomes to the player.
    In addition to that PI now has resources on the map which resemble trade goods that were actually present in PI regions at that time. You want to play Etruscan faction? Check your map for resources you own; you see your lands are rich with metals, grain production, etc. – these are the actual historical resources that were there and were traded at the time of our mod! We hope this addition will add the little extra flavor and historicity it aims for.
    So, why are resources so important? Fishing won’t bring you much wealth while owning the iron resource gives you huge profits. This diversifies the economy and makes players use different approaches for each faction. Plan carefully what regions are worth conquering and defend you most valuable provinces with additional soldiers.
    This whole project is a huge leap forward regarding the economy in PI!

- EDB undergo some major changes (along with descr_strat file). There are too many to list them all here. Our main goal was to make more realistic building times and effects certain buildings give. We haven’t forgotten to add historical faction support, campaign balance and more realism approach. To sum it up campaign gameplay will be a completely new experience then before. All buildings now take way more time and money to be built in general. There are also many more realistic and also historical bonuses for certain buildings and requirements that create a whole new “feeling” to the game. Some factions received boost and some others penalties to balance their performance on the campaign map. A lot of hard work was invested by DaVinci to balance the campaign map. Etruscans will now no longer steamroll the map as won’t the Messapi. Romani will be the ones doing so but very slowly – they will prevail in the end though. !(Majority of changes in EDB were carried out by DaVinci, some by Hister.)
    * It might be that the latest EDU unbalanced DaVinci’s work. No time to extensively test the campaign!

- New staggering EDU provided by Aper and adittionaly balanced by many other contributors with tons of details and attention for ancient warfare!

- We added 3 different cultural influences.
    It is now not so easy to take over a culturally totally different region – you will experience a lot of unrest so make sure you start converting the population to your own culture or else… Let’s give an example playing as Etruscans. Check your starting settlements – you will notice that Easternmost settlements have some loyalty problems. That is due to the fact that population there is mixed between proper Etruscans and Umbrians who were subdued in the past. Umbrians are bearers of different culture then your own so make sure you first do all that is in your hands to convert them and only then plan to expand on foreign territories. The 3 cultural influences are Urban culture, Italic village culture and Celtic village culture.
    * For now vanilla religion icons are used ‘cos we had problems importing proper PIPS.

- We added many new historical ships with detailed descriptions for better naval experience. Factions can build those types of ships which they actually were able to historically. Take control of Syracuce and built mighty naval power consisted of the biggest war ships ever built in antiquity or take control of Ligures whose light battle ships are mainly used for piracy activities. Be careful though how vast fleet you want to have since naval matters are very expansive.
    * All factions are missing pentecontere and liburna large unit cards.

- We added 21 unique buildings of prominent historical importance to certain regions that had them. Play either Italiotae, Syracusae, Poeni, Samnites or Romani and see what special buildings with certain bonuses your faction owns. Protect them at all costs; they are really important for your people!
    * _constructed pics haven’t been added yet – waiting for someone to make a generic unique building_constructed pic used for all buildings.

- Recruitment is now divided into 4 different buildings. “House” units (Equites) are recruited from governmental building. Faction specific soldiers are recruited from military camps. Mercenaries have their own building called “Mercenary camp”. Oversea mercenaries that were previously recruited from the port are now recruited from mercenary camp but have port as a requirement. Regional units are recruited via “Regional subjugation” building.
    Gallic recruitment majorly overhauled - previous recruitment was a mess ‘cos you could for example recruit your faction’s spatharii and Gallic spatharii at the same time. Not any more though.

- New culture specific GUI’s (interfaces) were added for almost all cultures (barbarian culture retained the old one). CocobongoClub DJ made a fabulous work on them. We hope you will like it.

- New CocobongoClub DJ’s fabulously drawn loading screens were added.

- 2 new songs from Garve were added: newbattle2 used for Etruscan battle and new_battle_unknown used for Roman battle.

- We added piracy resource and buildings. Players playing Veneti, Messapi, Apuli or Ligures can invest in piracy activities which give nice extra incomes in all the regions that were renowned for that.

- 2 new buildings added: “safe sea” and “law” to help the AI and player expand due to high distance penalties. (DaVinci’s work)

- Watchtower building cost made higher to simulate watching over the borders wasn’t such a cheap endeavor as vanilla game suggests.

- New Mylae’s Celtic portraits and eventpics added. New eventpics added also for Greeks.

- Alexander's death historicalevent was added.You will be notified of the death of one of the greatest military commander ever.

- Etruscans have their own culture now with their own music (they don’t share the music with other Italics any more).

- Ligurians belong to barbarian culture now.

- All BI historical events removed.

- Brigand and pirate spawn occurs less but pirates now occur more often then brigands.

- Fixed a bug in export_descr_advice file that was causing the advisor pop up whenever the pre-battle scroll opened.

- Towns Laos, Paestum, Parma, Ancona, Ravenna, Ariminum, Aleria, Melita and Olbia have bigger garrison to prevent them from rebelling to fast at the start of a campaign when the AI is in control of them.

- Diplomacy tweaked a bit.

- Italiotae faction received few more garrison units to be able to defend against enemies better from the start of the campaign.

- Temples added to Aleria, Olbia, Ancona and militia barracks added to Melita and Ancona in order to prevent those regions to rebel to fast when under the AI control.

- More rebel units added to Adria, Spina, Nesactium, Arretium, Fesulae, Pisae, Gela, Henna and Agrigentum to prevent to early expansion of Syracusae, Poeni, Etrusci and Veneti.

- Culture penalty adjusted for the faraway settlements like Aleria, Olbia and Ancona to minimize the revolt risk. Distribution of cultural influences in those settlements is thus not historically correct.

- Slave resource added to all regions.

- descr_cursor_actions file added which enables a diplomat to walk up to a spy or assassin and interact with them in the same manner they can with a settlement, family member, or another diplomat. For spy/assassin, you first have to spot them before a diplomat can talk to them, which is a challenge in and of itself. (HouseOfHam’s work.)

- export_descr_advice fixed – now the advisor won’t be popping out for nothing any more.

- export_VnVs had grammatical bugs fixed.

- The disinherited trait is fixed.

- The movement on strat map changed. Now only named characters led armies have the ability to use quickmarch, the land units range was reduced by 100 points - from 300 to 200.

- Unknown model fixes by Luciano.

- descr_win_conditions added by Aper to make the factions hold their homeland more aggressively.

- There are quite possibly other changes that aren’t listed here…

Credits

PI TEAM MEMBERS
    - Luciano B (Project director, historical research, units models & textures, map-making, 2D graphics, coding)
    - SigniferOne (unit animations and settlement editing)
    - Mylae (2D graphics, naval project)
    - Hister (temporal project director, coding, historically correct economy)
    - Garve (music & sounds)
    - Kali (2D Graphics)
    - Publio Fabio Atinio (2D graphics)
    - cocobongoclub-DJ (GUI, loading screens, some 2D ship pictures)

EXTERNAL CONTRIBUTORS

- Zenith Darksea (ancient Greek names translation)
    - Topus Magnus (parts of units models and textures)
    - Aper (EDU)
    - mcantu (units stats balancing)
    - Uranos (map finishing, battle-map textures)
    - The "Roma Surrectum" team (knowledge on the modding matters and part's of Tune's models and textures)
    - AspisA (Adaption of Sinuhet's AI formations)
    - HouseOfHam (scripting, coding)
    - florin80 (general knowledge about the whole modding thing)
    - Benz282 (custom sky, EDU file development)
    - Goth (DMB file bug-fixing)
    - DaVinci (EDB, campaign balancing, traits fix)

FORMER TEAM MEMBERS at the early stages of the mod-development
    - Pertinax
    - Teucer
    - Rorarii
    - Sempronio Sabino
    - Il Persiano
    - Lusted

BETA TESTERS
    - Gaius Baltar
    - Kamos32
    - CrownOfSwords
    - Lugotorix
    - Mackios
    - Valerius Tiberius
    - Monkeyman
    - mcantu
    - Leonidas480bc
    - Player1
    - Mr.Cursed
    - hellas1
    - Nullfied
    - MathiasOfAthens

USED MATERIAL FROM THE MODDING COMMUNITY
    - Sinuhet'S AI battle formations
    - Myrddraal "four turns a year" script
    - Webbird skin packs (parts of Celtic units textures)
    - Prometheus' "Res Gaestae" mod (Gaulsh "Gaesatae" model & texture)
    - Two buildings to help with distance penalty and few resource icons with models and textures from Chivalry TW (DaVinci). *UI picture for save ports originates from extended naval modproject as to early RTW-RTR times but the name of the mod-maker evaded us!

* I’m sure I forgot someone – please let me know if I made you injustice!

Last edited by Hister; July 02, 2009 at 07:07 AM.
    PROUD MEMBER OF PAENINSULA ITALICA TEAM

For M2TW PI forum click here.
    For RTW PI forum click here.

Default Re: NEW SEMI-PUBLIC PAENINSULA ITALICA PATCH V0.86 BETA

congrats on getting the patch out!

Tancredii's Avatar Tiro

Excellent - appreciate this is for us to test and does not form an official public release.

Will have a look later in week depending on when I can get in a bit of free time. Latest Thursday.

Supplying background to changes is really helpful.
    The British were completely beaten and the day was mine, but they did not know it and would not run.

Marshall Soult to Napolean - having been robbed of his victory at Albuera (May 1811)

Pls create a torrent link, this no need time for uploading, e nedd play this mod.

Thanx guys. Okey, will create a torrent but my PC is not on most of the time!

Congratulations on this beautiful mod really interesting, also because they are Italian!
    A very important question!
    This mod has problems of compatibility with Nero burning program?
    Answers?
    Thank you
    Last edited by Robertus; January 20, 2009 at 01:36 PM.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Hister Great job.

Requirements:
    What you need is vanilla (unmoded original game) Rome Total War game upgraded to Barbarian Invasion expansion and nothing else.
    Actually, i would not forget to add: Rome Total War game upgraded to Barbarian Invasion expansion (patched to 1.6)

I think, still there are RTW-BI versions out there, that aren't from the recent Era's or Gold packages (which have the patch 1.6 by default).
    Everybody who tries to run PI on an old BI (patch 1.4) installation will get instantly an error message and crash back (.. or not, Hister does it run on BI 1.4, too?).

Edit
    I'm sorry, but this is against the ToS, afaik:
    In order to unrar/unzip the content you have downloaded you need to have program called WinRAR installed on your PC or similar. You can find a free WinRAR program here:
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_winrar/
    Better say something neutral: "You can find via Google-search for example Winzip, Winrar or 7z or similar software, that is needed for ..." (btw., i personally use 7z, for my personal taste the best and easiest to use, of all the achive programs).
    Last edited by DaVinci; January 20, 2009 at 01:22 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    Hister Great job.

Actually, i would not forget to add: Rome Total War game upgraded to Barbarian Invasion expansion (patched to 1.6)

I think, still there are RTW-BI versions out there, that aren't from the recent Era's or Gold packages (which have the patch 1.6 by default).
    Everybody who tries to run PI on an old BI (patch 1.4) installation will get instantly an error message and crash back (.. or not, Hister does it run on BI 1.4, too?).
    Ups my bad! Will fix that Thanx for pointing out.

This mod has problems of compatibility with Nero burning program?
    Not that I would be aware of that - with all probability no problems there men

Patrician Artifex

And see the edit hint

Edit:

- EDB undergo some major changes (along with descr_strat file). There are too many to list them all here. Our main goal was to make more realistic building times and effects certain buildings give. We haven’t forgotten to add historical faction support, campaign balance and more realism approach. To sum it up campaign gameplay will be a completely new experience then before. All buildings now take way more time and money to be built in general. There are also many more realistic and also historical bonuses for certain buildings and requirements that create a whole new “feeling” to the game. Some factions received boost and some others penalties to balance their performance on the campaign map. A lot of hard work was invested by DaVinci to balance the campaign map. Etruscans will now no longer steamroll the map as won’t the Messapi. Romani will be the ones doing so but very slowly – they will prevail in the end though. !(Majority of changes in EDB were carried out by DaVinci, some by Hister.)
    * It might be that the latest EDU unbalanced DaVinci’s work. No time to extensively test the campaign!
    Yes, certainly the current active edu will unbalance the things. All the balancing was done with a PI 0.76x edu version, while i did already some edu changes in this balancing phase (which i can't remember now).
    As for the complete new edu approach, it will influence the quite perfect campaign balance that was provided by me (via edb and descr_strat). In how far - not sure, we'll see.
    Indeed, an edu combat balance has always direct impact on the campaign balance. But the basic campaign balancing is done with 0.86. Now we need to make some "campaign-feedback"-edu-balancing, that would not counter the campaign balancing.
    That should be observed primarily within the 0.86 campaign playtesting ... and of course further, along the ongoing edu development.
    Last edited by DaVinci; January 20, 2009 at 01:54 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Help me!
    Mod installed in Rome Total War game upgraded to Barbarian Invasion expansion (patched to 1.6), double-click on Paeninsula Italica shortcut, start screen mod but crash and return to the root folder

I am looking foward this mod. It's really something original.

Patrician Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Robertus View Post
    Help me!
    Mod installed in Rome Total War game upgraded to Barbarian Invasion expansion (patched to 1.6), double-click on Paeninsula Italica shortcut, start screen mod but crash and return to the root folder
    Does vanilla RTW and BI work properly?
    And check under menu Options, if you see the patch entry 1.6.
    Last edited by DaVinci; January 20, 2009 at 05:06 PM.

Smeel's Avatar Semisalis

Congrats to the new release, downloading now!

Dionisy's Avatar Civis

Are there units descriptions in new patch?

Hi! DaVinci.
    Yes! RTW - patch 1.5 and BI 1.6 patch work properly
    What should I do?

Tancredii's Avatar Tiro

Can you confirm the file structure you have is the same as the one at beginning of the post? Sorry checking obvious issues first.

Hister/PI Team is it worth startting another sticky on install issues to keep various posts broken down by topic? :hmmm:
    The British were completely beaten and the day was mine, but they did not know it and would not run.

Marshall Soult to Napolean - having been robbed of his victory at Albuera (May 1811)

Are there units descriptions in new patch?
    No not yet. Luciano has got the primatum on that but he hasn't provided descriptions yet.

Hi! DaVinci.
    Yes! RTW - patch 1.5 and BI 1.6 patch work properly
    What should I do?
    Are you sure you you have installed the mod in the MAIN game folder and not under BI folder? it must not be under BI folder as it won't work obviously. Let me know how it goes Robertus. Anyone else having problems starting the mod?

Hister/PI Team is it worth startting another sticky on install issues to keep various posts broken down by topic?
    No, I would prefer that all installation problems and bugs are reported here. Let us keep things in one place.

Quote Originally Posted by Hister View Post
    Thanx guys. Okey, will create a torrent but my PC is not on most of the time!

Thanks this is no problem i have patience.

This is my first torrent I uploaded - hope it works. Let me know if it does.

Paeninsula Italica semi-public beta v0.86:

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4665643

Edit: I see it does
    Last edited by Hister; January 21, 2009 at 01:50 PM.

Hi! Hister,
    Well, I install RTW patch + 1.1 - 1.2 - 1.3 -1.5, with BI + patch 1.6.
    All OK.
    I extract the files of PI in main folder RTW, no in BI, double-click on Paeninsula Italica shortcut, and always start screen mod but crash and return to the root folder

Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast