Page 8 of 357 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617183358108 ... LastLast

Thread: Deus lo Vult: Battlefield Balanced v4.36 <25/01/15>

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Default Re: Battlefield Balance for DLV 6.x 12/02/09

Pikes are one of the strongest units on the battlefield but they take some time to master.

You will be overran if you allow it.

Don't use them as front line troops versus spearmen, use them behind your own spearmen in this scenario.

Try to snare up enemy forces with your own then have the pikes come in on the flank to quickly clean up.

EDIT: Maybe pikes will need some rebalancing, it's tough to get them right, but there is no way I am going to bring back pike easymode, it ruins the game.
    Last edited by Taiji; February 12, 2009 at 07:41 AM.

I also found out to have them not in the front line. I now use some units in front (shield wall), then some pikes in guard mode and on top of that some halberdiers within the same lines as the pikes... and of course some units on the flank.

I remember correctly now; it was a battle with a poor general, thats why they probably fled and got crushed.
    In addition, I added the XBAI (special battle AI) before I loaded the game and started the battle!
    (stupid me)
    So actually; everything seems as it should be; challenging!

looking forward to see the new animations on my battlefields, after work!

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

If you're playing custom battles I wonder how you're finding XBAI, in some places I'm finding it awesome but in others it's total suck. I've only seen awesome results in campaign though so I suspect the suck is down to custom battles... I need to check this with Xeryx but he's very busy ATM.

edit: BTW if you are using XBAI I hope you are using the settings I described for it in the Lusted AI thread or else you can expect to be playing a different game to me.
    Last edited by Taiji; February 12, 2009 at 08:06 AM.

well' at the moment, I'm not... (busy)

anyways; I never play custom battles. I just played like 2 or 3 battles with XBAI yet, but I already can tell that its much different and more challenging!
    I'll keep it installed for sure. I can keep you updated if anything negativ happens. Whether you care or not...

Well then, don't want to hold you up!

greez

edit: I'll check the Lusted-AI thred then! thanks
    Last edited by Hambi; February 12, 2009 at 08:10 AM.

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Well if you don't change the bits I specified in that thread I'm not so interested in what you think of it. Get it properly configured and I will be very keen to hear your thoughts

noted.
    having a hard time finding the thread...

Great work! thanks

hotcobbler's Avatar Tiro

Don't underestimate a wall of good pikes. I bought 6 Landschneckt pikemen on crusade, and used my fast Irish cav in support to draw away any heavy cav. Those badboys can hold a line forever, and I'm talking 3 or 4 deep. The more spears you can put out front the better.

True wisdom is less presuming than folly. The wise man doubteth often, and changeth his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubteth not; he knoweth all things but his own ignorance. --- Pharaoh Akhenaten,
    mid 12th century.

hi!

glad that you could publish 1.2 finally..

i am off this saturday to live in a house within an island with my girlfriend for 10 days..
    no internet access, no tv, no computers, not even a nice beach!!... and they call this vacations..
    anyway, the thing is that i wont be able to check your new animations as i´d never wanted too.

when i get back from boring-land i´d be glad to see that you regretted your choices keep testing this new stuff.
    Last edited by Taiji; May 26, 2009 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Removed spam

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

OK, you can use XBAI if you use these files: (edit: I've put it on first post) and don't use XBAI's descr_skeleton.txt!!

Stick them in DLV's \data folder.

I've modded them so that hit rates are correct and for better use of pikes by the AI.

@Ivanhoex, aw mate I feel for you. I hope you have a great time... doing whatever you can do there...

@Verminaard, cheers mate, I hope you enjoy

edit: damn filefront doesn't show me how many people have downloaded it. I'm addicted to checking, I need my fix!

I'd really appreciate some feedback on infantry charges in general - overpowered/underpowered/just right?

I ask because there are a choice of mechanics with different benefits.

If charges kill many then you have to counter charge every enemy charge which can be tedious but also there is not going to be much difference charging the front or the flank.

The current approach allows you to actually leave your spearmen in place and let the enemy charge them without much loss of men.

In general, charging good troops from the front will not do much but from the back or flank will it will often be lethal.

Charge bonuses are very low to facilitate this mechanic, what do you think?
    Last edited by Taiji; February 19, 2009 at 04:10 PM.

Shield Master: No knockback from front or sides, quick moves, both fatalities... RAISES SHIELD TO PROTECT FROM ARROWS AND MELEE :- D. Chivalric Knights and many other top tier swordsmen.
    Who is the Shield Master? I don't remember this unit from anywhere, but then again, I haven't yet seen all DLV has to offer. Do the Chivalric Knights and other top tier swordsmen do this as well?

Also, could you possibly move the most recent updates from the top down? It would be good not to have to scroll a lot to see the new update. Just a suggestion

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

---
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; June 09, 2009 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Because Taiji will edit my posts, if I disagree with his view.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Quote Originally Posted by musicdemon View Post
    Who is the Shield Master? I don't remember this unit from anywhere, but then again, I haven't yet seen all DLV has to offer. Do the Chivalric Knights and other top tier swordsmen do this as well?

Also, could you possibly move the most recent updates from the top down? It would be good not to have to scroll a lot to see the new update. Just a suggestion
    I created it dude, read the thread maybe? (The bit just above what you pasted explains what they are and there is a post or 2 about it a page back.)

@Blackleaf, I'm sure you can get your cav spread back somehow
    Last edited by Taiji; February 12, 2009 at 06:51 PM.

I think eventually his plan is expensive heavy cav with no spread to capture the "disciplined tank" aspect... and lighter cav will get a slightly nerfed cav spread..

This is a really good compromise inmo...But I feel you Blackleaf. Cav spread should still have a role.

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

I don't even know if it's possible to have 2 types of horse animation, if it is then fine we can have some form of reduced cav spread for units with bad discipline or bad close combat training training. There is absolutely no way I am going to allow the old cav spread back in. If you think that my work is not good enough without cav-spread then don't use it.

Enjoy your boycott lol

edit:

OK so I would appreciate some feedback:

How are cav charges?

Are defensive halberds too strong?

How about those shield using swordsmen?

Is it all perfect?

I suspect it won't be so don't pull any punches on my account
    Last edited by Taiji; February 12, 2009 at 06:37 PM.

Howdy,

I just played around with this a bit ant it's an excellent addition! 10/10

Sorry if this has been discussed, but has repman considered integrating it into the next DLV?

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Thanks El Chupanibre, I don't know what Repman thinks of my latest stuff really. I'm sure if he likes it he will want to integrate it, we'll have to wait and see

@Xtiaan, thx mate, looking forward to it

hotcobbler's Avatar Tiro

I'm playing around with it and cav is killing me. In a good way. All looks good so far.

True wisdom is less presuming than folly. The wise man doubteth often, and changeth his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubteth not; he knoweth all things but his own ignorance. --- Pharaoh Akhenaten,
    mid 12th century.

hotcobbler's Avatar Tiro

I had a strange thing happen just now. Had a small force of about 5 units attack 1 rebel unit of longbowmen outside York. I won, with no casualties, and a "Man of the Hour" message pops up, which I had never seen before in DLV. However, I thought this might be because I recently lost 4 family members to the plague, and I've always kept my generals alive well.

As soon as I accepted him, the rebel stack dissapears, and my entire army dies, with a "Noble Death" message for the guy I just accepted. Weird.

mid 12th century.