Page 10 of 357 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560110 ... LastLast

Thread: Deus lo Vult: Battlefield Balanced v4.36 <25/01/15>

Default Re: Battlefield Balance for DLV 6.x 13/02/09

Hey Taiji,
    I dunno if you got my PM or not but your fix worked! thanks!
    Can I ask what was causing it? I was surprised that the bug was caused by something in the EDU.

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

General units were mislabled, when a new family member came along there would be no unit for them to become and so they would just die.

hotcobbler's Avatar Tiro

Is there a way to at least rename the "General's Bodyguard" unit, the buildable one I mean. It just seems out of place. I have no skill at modding, but this would add to the feel I think.

True wisdom is less presuming than folly. The wise man doubteth often, and changeth his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubteth not; he knoweth all things but his own ignorance. --- Pharaoh Akhenaten,
    mid 12th century.

izanagi11's Avatar Semisalis

Hey there, I found one bug. Halbbruder models and animation doesnt to want to mesh together. In custom battle, they just stand there until the enemy gets near or CTD when they charge.
    "The shape of you, the shape of me, the shape of everything I see.."

Hi Taiji, I tried playing a new campaign as Ireland but my Generals are still dying on their first turn even after installing the new file.

Thanks for your hard work on this, the balance is really nice

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Izanagi, Thanks! I didn't notice that I'd left them with the phalanx/spearwall ability. If you turn that off (press f) they'll work fine. Thanks for pointing it out

hotcobbler, Yes it can be renamed, since you neglected to specify what it should be renamed to I can't really comment on how it would add to the feel.

TanOrpheus, I don't see why, thanks for pointing it out though. Have you altered any files at all?

all, I'm uploading an updated version as I type. The main features are similar animation sets to the "Powersword" for mace/axe and spear. So now we will have examples of each shield user doing my shield defence thing. As I've mentioned before this animation set makes them stronger under some circumstances and might affect game balance badly. Not many units will use these animations for this reason and so as I'm restricting something cool, I've restricted it to cool units (which might cause further problems for game balance lol).

Powerspear - Templar sergeants, Lamtuna, Order, Pavise, Arab inf, ... I forget.
    Poweraxe/mace - Edessan squires, huscarls, d ghulams, noble sons, d imp knights, vhi, ...I forget again.

I also made a new 2h sword setup for better units:
    Elitegreatsword - d Gothics, Gotland footmen, Canons - easy to remember ... forgot to do highland nobles

I have to point out again what a nightmare 2hsword is for spearmen, since there is virtually nothing to back up the suggestion that 2h swords were ever really used in large groups I can do whatever I like with them without fear of stepping on a historians toes - since the game is already trampling them.

It is possible to beat spearmen in a 10 to 1 ratio with d Gothic knights. One unit can kill half an army of spearmen.

Just a warning really - don't let these guys near your spears.

OK, it's uploaded. I want more feedback! More! More! More!

And I want some +rep for the new animation work since none of you has bothered yet

edit:

and interesting problem, the new shield animation type unit seems to eat pikes for breakfast. the best solution I have thought of at present is to increase pikes up to the maximum unit size.... what do you think?

In fact I reckon it's about time I looked at unit sizes in general - almost never touched them.

In case you're wondering where else I have neglected things thus far I haven't touched terrain modifiers or the heat stat.

If you're wondering why I don't give these new more powerful animations to mercs it's because I hate them. The current implementation of mercs availability often ruins the campaign for me. I hate having all these mercs like swiss pikes available at such an early time. Mercs are going to get a rough deal until something is done to fix the campaign in this regard.... while I am ranting I also hate all these late units we find in forts. If someone doesn't fix this lot soon I am going to have to.
    Last edited by Taiji; February 14, 2009 at 08:52 AM.

hotcobbler's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: Battlefield Balance for DLV 6.x 14/02/09

I think something like "Hedge Knights" would be appropriate for the "Generals Bodyguard" unit. It would just make it seem like a unit that was intended to be there and not a placeholder name.

Also, I'm finding pikes to be pretty reliable still against 2h swords, but I'll have to test it more. I'm fighting Scotland, so that shouldn't be hard

True wisdom is less presuming than folly. The wise man doubteth often, and changeth his mind; the fool is obstinate, and doubteth not; he knoweth all things but his own ignorance. --- Pharaoh Akhenaten,
    mid 12th century.

Omar Nelson B.'s Avatar Senator

Is there any way to slow down the new animation? When under arrow fire they all seem to spaz out. I also have found that pikes are still very hard to pass.

I think that the mercs need to be completely redone. They are garbage for the most part.

Taiji
    Did you change the billmen animation? They seem to stand in and fight way longer. Before I just used them as a flanking unit/shock unit/wall takers. Now they will acually stand and fight with dismounted mail knights.

Ps
    I can't give you anymore rep I need to spread it about. So they sez.
    Last edited by Omar Nelson B.; February 14, 2009 at 09:29 AM.
    "Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants." Omar Bradley
    Pics

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Which billmen? I changed all of them and they're all different from each other - regular axe, militia axe, defensive halberd, phalanx halberd...

In terms of animations England seems to have landed on it's feet nicely, the only thing it lacks is powermace/axe... oh and you have to decide between powerspear and elitegreatsword when you choose your holy order, if you do.

About how they behave under missile fire, I'll take a look at it - you might be right. Considering that the old version is that they stand there shaking their head when hit do you think it still amounts to an improvement? I won't be offended if you don't - I genuinely want to know what you think.

edit:

New update, details on first post. Pikemen up to 250 per unit which may cause problems - let me know please.
    Last edited by Taiji; February 16, 2009 at 12:06 PM.

hotcobbler's Avatar Tiro

Default Re: 16/02/09 - Battlefield Balance for DLV 6.x

Nice, I'll be testing it shortly.

mid 12th century.

Really like the idea of light troops getting that little bit extra speed and heavy armoured guys being realistically slower. Looking forward to testing 1.4 tonight Taiji.

It sounds like a crazy old idea but how about Urban Militia getting a -1 when fighting out in the strange unknown country but a positive +1 when in more familiar cobbled town settings.

As a mirror, Rural Milita might gain bonus when fighting out in the country but suffer penalty when fighting in the mean streets of any given city/castle battle,

Just a thot...

-- Tokoid

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

It's a nice thought, I don't think it's possible though

It might be nice to have a trait that is activated when a governer ends his turn in a city, the governer gets +2 morale for his troops. If he leaves the city he loses the trait until he ends his turn in a city again.

Some sort of urban defence thing... would be really cool if you had to build a certain building to get the trait working for the city... ...I wonder how "at the seat of power" works...

As far as terrain goes in the EDU there are some modifiers but only for 4 different terrain distinctions: "stat_ground 1, -2, 3, 2", the four numbers are grass, desert, forest and snow and I believe the numbers might add to defence or attack. I've haven't touched them to be honest because they seem ok already and there are more important things to be doing.

@All How do you reckon things are working out with defence being so high? One problem I'm noticing is that I am much more capable of taking advantage of it than the AI. On the other hand it's nice to be able to have units last enough time to be able to pull off some kind of tactic, maneuvre, whatever. Being able to pin a unit in place and out-maneuvre it with another is great - battles needed to slow down a little, but this much? Another effect - reduced kills on the charge has for me added an option for the player, standing ground with correct facing is no longer suicidal for many units. It's an interesting mechanic, I'm not saying it's the best or it has to be this way but I like it.

So despite liking all that I'm thinking about lowering defence. What do you think?

Oh and this 10% speed bonus is not easy to notice. At around 30-40% weird things start to happen, they look speeded up. At around 40% they look pretty crazy, it's like the benny hill show or something (I left a unit like this for ages hoping someone would point it out - battlefield assassins). So anyway with the current modifiers the difference between leather and light chain and partial plate should be noticeable. Oh and I've been cruel, I've made it so feudal knights, et al, will be slower than heavy mail users who cannot achieve partial plate. I could have done it the other way around but that would suck even more believe me, we'd have units like d feudal knights forever being faster than d chivalric knights.

We have very few units that can use advanced plate and it seems they have space for an extra upgrade. I just make advanced plate worth +4 instead of +2 by giving it a double upgrade, this means they can hit 19 armor or 24 armor on an armored horse. Good idea?
    Last edited by Taiji; February 16, 2009 at 06:42 PM.

I like the defense values. At first I thought they were extremely high, but the longer battles are much more enjoyable. You get to use tactics, and you have more time to watch those cool animations . However, I noticed that battles are usually one-sided, as the AI doesn't muse many tactics at all. It's pretty formulaic: They send archers out, if you send archers out they send their cavalry after them, then the infantry soon follow. Still, I think you've gotten pretty much all you can out of the engine, and battles are still a great deal of fun.

As for charges, I think some specialized units should have devestating charges. Like zweihanders, which are supposed to be the pike-breakers, should have very strong charges. Other than that just try to keep things realistic and believable. Keep it up

--e: I also noticed that units don't charge until right where they're touching the other unit. I'm wondering if that has any effect on how the fight turns out.
    Last edited by El Chupanibre; February 16, 2009 at 07:45 PM.

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

El Chupanibre, I uploaded some files and instructions a couple of pages back for using XBAI, I can recommend it - it sometimes makes a really nice change from what you're describing.

I've just sorted out mercenaries arriving too soon for the main campaign

I don't know if it works for historical campaign...back it up and give it a shot, compare the original files if you like.

The pikes and plate armored guys will arrive around 1320 instead of 1220. The gunpowder mercs should arrive around when they become available to build if you're using WURM.

I've been looking at the guild stuff and it seems swordsmith is very hard for many nations to get - this sucks but it will take little work to fix....

It makes Georgia, TO, Lith have a much better chance. It adds a load of units to the list of those that earn points for the swordsmith guild.

OK so I made a mess of it, there's a fixed version lower down.

I'll probably stick these in the next version of WURM.
    Last edited by Taiji; March 06, 2009 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiji View Post
    At around 40% they look pretty crazy, it's like the benny hill show or something (I left a unit like this for ages hoping someone would point it out - battlefield assassins).

Excellent comparison! I've been waiting for a Benny Hill reference when referring to unit speed for awhile now. Anyway, I'll review your post more thoroughly and give you some constructive feedback after lunch. I'd rep ya, but I need to spread around the +rep jar a bit more...Keep up the good work

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Feedback is always nice, being constructive doesn't matter to me it just needs to be specific so I can check it and dismiss it... or maybe even change something

Hi Taiji,

I took your "mercenaries" and "guilds" file, and now the game crashes during startup!
    I didn't back up the originals (because I'm used to your files working so far!) (-;

Did I miss something? Do you have the originals somewhere, and might you be so kind to upload them mybe?
    else I'd have to install the whole mod again... )-:

edit: stupid me; I put it into the DLV/data folder instead of campaign... what should I do besides blaiming myself?
    Last edited by Hambi; February 17, 2009 at 11:45 AM.

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

Hmm well it seems you have only changed the "guilds" file then...

How odd that it works for me... despite my making a mess of it :hmmm:

Here is a fixed version Attachment 30531

Try that out mate
    Last edited by Taiji; November 01, 2009 at 08:20 AM.

I've just sorted out mercenaries arriving too soon for the main campaign
    The pikes and plate armored guys will arrive around 1320 instead of 1220. The gunpowder mercs should arrive around when they become available to build if you're using WURM.
    Thank you! It always bothered me that the Rebels were 4 steps ahead of your technology for the first few hundred turns. Hiring overpowered mercenaries from the future almost felt like cheating and was not realistic.
    I'll probably stick these in the next version of WURM.
    I think it's very relevant and definitely should be included

Thanks man! problem solved!

I play DLV for the first time, and I was also surprised by the many and good mercenaries you can recruit at the beginning already (especially heavy Cav and Landsknecht Pikemen)

But its a fact that mercenaries were very much around in big numbers at medieval times, and they were pretty much all battle hardened veterans, so i think it should not be changed much actually... (my thoughts)

anyways, your changes are still great, no question.

greez and thanks again