Skep's Avatar Civis

Default Re: The Last Kingdom - FACTION PREVIEW / WESSEX

I really like the dragon banner. Golden dragon head with a kite to it! WOW

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

They are all so sexyyy

I saw yours previews and it looks as very promissing mod.

- you have units with round shield but also with kite shields. kite shields were used later (after ad. 1000), so do you think about this?

Celtichugs123's Avatar Senator

You want to check our time-line, mate.

Kite sheild were a distinct type of sheild in 10th–12th Centuries. Distinct means to set apart from, which there means it was not the norm (But also the meaning here is that the kite sheild made this period distintive, which is did as it slowly become the norm by late 12th). If you look at the units you will see that only two units of the Wessex roster, for example, have kite sheilds only - kite sheilds in this Mod is far from the norm.

Also, 900s are represented in the Mod (checktime line0 so therefore some warriors of this time period would have had a kite sheild. We can also assume that kite sheilds were thought about, concepted and designed in the early 10th Century, meaning by the late 10th Century and early 11th Century kite sheild would have become more common. Late 10th Century and early 11th Century are both within the Mod's time-frame.

Celtichugs
    Last edited by Celtichugs123; June 28, 2011 at 07:24 AM.
    Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

“For myself, I find I become less cynical rather than more--remembering my own sins and follies; and realize that men's hearts are not often as bad as their acts, and very seldom as bad as their words.”
    - J.R.R Tolkien

Emperor Napoleon's Avatar Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Celtichugs123 View Post

Kite sheild were a distinct type of sheild in 10th–12th Centuries. Distinct means to set apart from, which there means it was not the norm (But also the meaning here is that the kite sheild made this period distintive, which is did as it slowly become the norm by late 12th). If you look at the units you will see that only two units of the Wessex roster, for example, have kite sheilds only - kite sheilds in this Mod is far from the norm.

Also, 900s are represented in the Mod (checktime line0 so therefore some warriors of this time period would have had a kite sheild. We can also assume that kite sheilds were thought about, concepted and designed in the early 10th Century, meaning by the late 10th Century and early 11th Century kite sheild would have become more common. Late 10th Century and early 11th Century are both within the Mod's time-frame.

Celtichugs
    hear hear

"You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's
    ranks."

- Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte

start is in AD 865 ...
    ...therefore I ask if will be possible to recruit units with kite shield from start. also the Housecarls (with doublehanded axe) were in Anglo-Saxons armies after Vikings invasion. they were common around AD 1000.
    so if we agree that kite shields was "made" in the early 10th century year AD 865 is far from it. I have nothing against units with kite shields (you mod covers 10th and 11th century), just do them recruitable later in mod.
    Celtichugs
    keep good work, it seems as realy interesting mod.

The Wessex kite sheild units are not recruitable from the off.

As for the axes, I would like to draw your attention to a quote from DaNova

Quote Originally Posted by danova View Post
    I would prefer a historicaly authentic mode which only substantially follows the history. Unfortunately we don't have capacity for a more serious work.
    So, this mod is also "historically inspired but creatively done" so the work is not perfectly historical...
    In the Mod, the Albannach faction has a unit which wares kilts as we would see them in the 16th/17th Century. This I find much more ahistorical than two-headed axes, as a history fan and as a Scot. But in keeping with the above quote, so what? The mod is not 100% historical, but as you will soon see it's about 99.9% historical

Celtichugs
    Last edited by Celtichugs123; June 28, 2011 at 11:43 AM.
    Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

“For myself, I find I become less cynical rather than more--remembering my own sins and follies; and realize that men's hearts are not often as bad as their acts, and very seldom as bad as their words.”
    - J.R.R Tolkien

Who said they were recruitable from the Start? I certainly did not say that.
    so it means that you think about this. this is about what I spoke...
    As for the axes, I would like to draw your attention to a quote from DaNova

In the Mod, the Albannach faction has a unit which wares kilts as we would see them in the 16th/17th Century. This I find but more ahistorical that two-headed axes, as a history fan and as a Scot. But in keeping with the above quote, so what? The mod is not 100% historical, but as you will soon see it's about 99.9% historical

Celtichugs
    I did not look at Albannach yet.
    I understand there are some limitations why is not possible to do 100% historical mod, but I think there should be any possibilities how to allow recruit units from later era only later in mod.

Polycarpe's Avatar Back into action!

Yes it's a mix of script and codes in the EDB.

Quote Originally Posted by One-Eye View Post
    I understand there are some limitations why is not possible to do 100% historical mod, but I think there should be any possibilities how to allow recruit units from later era only later in mod.
    I fail to understand why you think this hasn't been implamented?...

Celtichugs
    Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

- J.R.R Tolkien

danova's Avatar Protector Domesticus

You can recruit the Huscarls at the start (865) ...
    BUT you NEED first some buildings, max level military buildings, smiths workshop, etc ... and high level city with high populations, etc...
    ... so you need lot of TIME for the recruit!

If you follow the events of history, you will crecruit in 965 for e.g., if you concentrate on the military development you can recrut earlier!

Quote Originally Posted by danova View Post
    You can recruit the Huscarls at the start (865) ...
    BUT you NEED first some buildings, max level military buildings, smiths workshop, etc ... and high level city with high populations, etc...
    ... so you need lot of TIME for the recruit!

If you follow the events of history, you will crecruit in 965 for e.g., if you concentrate on the military development you can recrut earlier!
    this sounds good

Coeur de Lion's Avatar Ordinarius

Do all generals have cav as their bodyguards? Are there any foot bodyguards?

Quote Originally Posted by Coeur de Lion View Post
    Do all generals have cav as their bodyguards? Are there any foot bodyguards?
    Almost every faction has infantry as bodyguards,except the Scots and the Normans.But check the faction previews for more details...
    We happy few, we band of Brothers

Kesl's Avatar Tiro

Very good mate, I see you put a lot of careful details in.
    For The Empire - English
    For King & Country - Crown of English Monarch
    Command Your Army - English Knights
    Leave Nothing Behind - Our foes Are All Dead

Jiub's Avatar Praepositus

This is why Medieval 2 is still so much better than Empire Napoleon of Shogun 2...
    Because of brilliant modders.

Seriously now.... I ing love you guys for all your work.

Edorix's Avatar Civis

Downloading this mod as I type, promises to be excellent. Looking forward to conquering Britain as my Wessex forefathers!
    ~ Edorix
    Ancient Briton

Very well done beautiful units the wessex are the first faction that ill play as !!!!!!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456