Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Ahenobarbus Agelastus/Crassus

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Ahenobarbus Agelastus/Crassus

OOC: Big news. I made a mistake. We have 11000. 5000 is what we'll have next turn, if we spend nothing now.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

Well we can queue the buildings and I can set aside in the budget some money for the army so you can get a lot more troops.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

Celsus thought about it, then stood up and tried to lay out a plan about the buildings.

"Ah! That makes a chance for a wider choice! Here are my suggestions:

Traba Vallum (Wooden wall) in Ancona. - 1000

Lares Ceres (Shrine to Ceres) in Capua. As its building would take only about 3 months (1 turns) and as it costs only 400, I suggest that after it we should start building a Via Strata (Paved Roads) - 400+2400= 2800

Portus (Shipwright) in Rome. This would give us more abilities in trade, wich would present us an easier way to fill up our treasury. - 3000

All together that would be 6800. Not a small sum, but I believe it would be worth it."

"The motion is already up for vote."
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

OOC: Oops, didn't see that one... Anyway...
    IC:
    "What types of buildings to build, yes, but not what to build exactly."

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

It seems like the motion already past.

Now we can move our attention to other matters. The treacherous behaviour of our allies.

We should first end the war with the Epiros and take there cities. If we have them we need to set an example to all our allies and attack the on that betrayed us first.

Siege there city and exterminate them to the last living person. We need to set example so it will never happen again.
    All who oppose us will receive there punishment.
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; January 22, 2009 at 01:47 PM.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

OOC: By allies, you mean the southern Italian cities that are rebels?

Winter's Avatar Civitate

ooc: STOP MAKING OOC POSTS IN THE CURIA! Thats what the OOC thread is for.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

I feel that the scum should be punished! They reneged upon their treaties with us and deserve no sympathy. The only way that they can learn is by the sword, and the Roman people demand that the blood of cowards and traitors be shed by it!

OOC: You're such a hypocrite Winter
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

OoC: yeah, hypocrite!
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

A messenger enters the curia, bearing a scroll with the Consular seal.

"Further correspondence from the Consul, Caius Flavius Crassus!"

Conscript Fathers,

We are continuing in out marching. But I have a suggestion for our strategy you would do well to consider.

As you know, we raised additional troops recently and are raising more now. These are mostly allied troops, being levied for the war with the Epirotes and against the rebel states.

In this dangerous time, it is risky to have such an army roaming around our lands. In addition, an Epirote fort near Corfinium ensures the disloyalty of the allied states and directly threatend Rome.

I humbly suggest to the Senate that these alae be united under a Praetor and sent to attack the fort at Corfinium. This would have two beneficial effects. Firstly, it would greatly decrease the likelihood of rebellion by the allied troops, to be united under the banner of a Roman magistrate of law and to be given a task to perform.

Secondly, it will remove a threat to Rome and ensure that we consuls can enjoy a more successful campaign, without fear of Pyrrhus recieving reinforcements or our being outmaneouvred.

I hope you will take this into consideration as we enter this vital hour.

Strength and Honour,

CAIVS FLAVIVS CRASSVS

We cannot allow the enemy to have enemy forts near our borders with our main army marching south. It is imperative that we take care of them as soon as possible. If the senate aproves it, I would like to take command and make sure the Epirotes and everyone else know that Roma rules Italia, and no one else!

Celsus twitched in his seat. He understood Crassus's tactic very well - but still... He some why felt things were just going too smoothly. Everything has been, well, easy, until now... As if they were being led into a trap. Pyrrhus was sent to aid the Tarentines... He surely isn't a fool. Celsus frowned, and waited for someone to break the silence.

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

I humbly suggest to the Senate that these alae be united under a Praetor and sent to attack the fort at Corfinium. This would have two beneficial effects. Firstly, it would greatly decrease the likelihood of rebellion by the allied troops, to be united under the banner of a Roman magistrate of law and to be given a task to perform.
    Quintus raises and speaks.

Yes it would be wise to send a small force under the command of a Praetor to take care of this matter, we can not stand any enemy army in one of our provinces.

Also as the consul mentions in his letter it could become a dangerous matter leaving the enemy army unharmed and free in there movements. Thy could start pillaging our lands and block the consuls supply roads.

We must deal with this at once and lose no precious time.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Dayman's Avatar Romesick

Flavus sits quietly and watches, hoping the Senate's shortsightedness did not lead to the downfall of the republic...

Celsus finally decided to stand up and said in a stable voice,

"So be it. Does everyone agree that Praetor Quintus is to mobilize the small force which has been/is being recruited, and clean the enemy fort in Campania from the Epeirot threat?"

aye, put it to a vote.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Oppius Aulus Caelinus walks into the Curia, looking around and seeing many new faces.
    "Pah, despicable peasant dogs. Risen up through the mud and filth, it sticks and violates all that is good in the true Romans.
    Yet, if used correctly, these filths can be used by me. And those who think with me, surely there are still real patricians here."

Taking a seat amongst some of the senators, Oppius begins to listen to what these fools have to say.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Then I propose the following motion:

Senatus Consultum ... [I'm not good in Latin, please make some fitting name for it...]

I. Praetor Spvrivs Herrenivs is to immediately take command of the remaining units separately recruited for the war in Southern Italy, to besiege and capture the Epeirots' Campanian fortification, to help our Consuls in the war against King Pyrrhus.

Last edited by Elendil of Númenor; January 22, 2009 at 03:39 PM.

A host of roman soldiers, in red cloaks, entered the Curia, flanked by horn players, who blasted loudly and arrogantly, to the annoyance of some elder Senators.

A stern-faced soldier shouted loudly into the hall.

"Senators! Great news from Consul Caius Flavius Crassus! He has crushed not one, but two Epirote armies!"

Mercifully, the man then dropped his tone, unfurled a scroll, and read aloud.

"Conscript Fathers, this is a day of triumph!

When we left for Southern Italy, Pyrrhus was cowering behind his fortifications. Myself and Consul Ahenobarbus hatched a plan. Ahenobarbus took his army and threatened, attacked, and besieged the Epirote forces around Tarentum. We knew Pyrrhus' army to be cowering in Croton.

Thus, I laid at the foothills of the mountains in the south, in a wooded clearing by the coastal road.

We lay in wait for the Epirote army, and when they approached, we successfully ambushed them. Their army immediately dissolved into chaos, their elephants charging through their own ranks.

The fighting was brutal. Their elephants, despite numerous hails of javelins from our infantry, did not fall, and our men were forced to engage them in hand-to-hand combat. Senators, such bravery from men who have never seen such beasts, yet did not flee nor yield, deserves special recognition.

Our armies had, by now, closed, and due to the forest and my surprise attack, Pyrrhus was unable to form his phalanx-lines properly, putting them on equal footing with our legions.

Morale wavered at times, and I was forced at times to kill several deserters from our allies on the spot, and physically turn men back in the direction of the battle.

The fighting became so desperate and so fierce that I was forced to enter the fray myself, when I saw the enemy commander. We exchanged blows, and many of our bodyguards fell, but eventually he succumbed.

I cannot say a bad word against the Epirotes. They fought like lions, to the last man, and their commander, when surrounded, was still slashing bravely away.

Eventually, the last man had fallen. The Epirote army had been utterly annhilated, but I had lost almost half of my army.

Senators, Pyrrhus was not on the field. I killed his second-in-command, Perikles.

As we celebrated victory and interrogated captured officers at a nearby farmhouse to try and determine Pyrrhus' location, however, yet another Epirote army arrived. There was no time to flee, and after forming up my army and preparing to resist an attack, we came under heavy bombardment from many arrows, stones, and javelins. We had no choice but to madly charge towards the enemy.

The fighting, once again, was fierce. I was again forced to fight myself, and all of my bodyguards to a man were killed. I am wounded, but not gravely. I shall recover.

These troops, clearly intended to be reinforcements, were not so resilient and fled the field, though most were cut down by our men.

Senators, my army is in no state to continue fighting. I have about a quarter of the men I started with. Many of my lieutenants, centurions, and a legate of Rome lie dead.

Despite this, the Epirotes have been utterly annhilated, and now have only a few forces remaining in the field. And Consul Ahenobarbus' army is still at completely full-strength, and should be able to root out King Pyrrhus and easily defeat what forces he has left, even without the many troops we have raised which will help him out after taking the Epirote fort.

I am tired, and weary. I humbly request your permission to return, with the remnants of the heroic men of these legions, to Rome.

Strength and Honour,

CAIVS FLAVIVS CRASSVS"

The man furled the scroll and gazed across the hall.