Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Julii Faction Guide [COMPLETE]

Default Re: Julii Faction Guide [INCOMPLETE]

Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    im considering making more if this one gets positive feedback

You certainly have positive feedback from me, very good job indeed. You should get more official recognition or something from the forum

And maybe another faction guide to focus more on pros and cons of the Juli and other factions.
    **ROMA SURRECTUM 2.0 RULES**

Default Re: Julii Faction Guide [COMPLETE]

Quote Originally Posted by Seleucid king View Post
    the thing that makes the Julii suck is that, even though they can(and, probably WILL) becoma a large empire, when the civil war comes, in most cities they can only recruit crappy auxilia :hmmm:
    from ur pic it looks like u have a mod. In vanilla the Julii are usually one of the tougher factions.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Senator

from ur pic it looks like u have a mod. In vanilla the Julii are usually one of the tougher factions.
    actually i meant for vanilla. i play a julii campaign at my dads house and RS at my moms

anyway, i played a julii campaign where i literally took EVERYTHING on the west half of the map and in most of my cities i could only recruit auxillia

anyway, i played a julii campaign where i literally took EVERYTHING on the west half of the map and in most of my cities i could only recruit auxillia
    Thats because u didnt have upgraded barracks. Upgrades on most everything are important
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Senator

yea, at that time i didnt know that farms are needed 2 build barracks

plus, i mostly enslaved people so population progress was slow

It's Gallic. Gay-Lick (pronunciation). Not Gaullic.
    Passing on to describe the way in which Napoleon employed ‘principles’ or ‘ingredients’ for the prosecution of War, it must from the outset be understood that his strategical and tactical systems followed no closely ruled pattern. Every operation was unique; no two were ever quite the same. However, the underlying every Campaign and battle were certain fundamental, which were applied according to circumstances.
    ‘Strategy is the art of making use of Time and Space,’ wrote the Emperor”

-from the Campaigns of Napoleon by David G. Chandler, Pages 161-162

Entropy Judge's Avatar Vicarius

yea, at that time i didnt know that farms are needed 2 build barracks
    plus, i mostly enslaved people so population progress was slow
    Farms aren't needed to build Barracks; you just need to have larger cities, and Farms help with getting larger cities. Also, enslavement *is* a good way to boost cities' populations - you just have to remember that only the cities with governors will get the pop. boost.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Monk View Post
    It's Gallic. Gay-Lick (pronunciation). Not Gaullic.
    You're thinking "Gaelic." "Gallic" is pronounced "gal-ik." And even Gaelic is pronounced "gail-ik."
    I know what u mean, but keep in mind this guide is for noobs, and noobs easily overestimate their equites - i know i did. So ur right, their not useless in the right hands, but, as i told general nuisance, "better safe than sorry"
    The thing is, if someone overestimates Equites *that* much, then he/she should avoid cavalry altogether - the Roman infantry, with some Archer support, is quite capable of defeating Gallic, Spanish, and Britonic armies, and usually Germanic ones as well.

It is recommended that you prepare for war by building two armies consisting of perhaps 4 Hastati, 2 Roman archers, 3 Velites, 3 Equites, 4 Principes (if possible) and 1-2 generals (if possible). This setup allows you tactical flexibilty and strength, as well as the ability to attack and retire as needed, using your two armies interchangeably. Plus, if you are able to recruit Principes, you can use the infamous Roman manipular style, which gave her a significant advantage both tactically and strategically.
    It may just be me, but two armies like this is 1) excessive overkill, and 2) for a new player (as that is the purpose of this guide), very likely to drive the Julii into debt.

1. The roman equites are the worst cav in the game, and are almost useless unless available in large numbers. The infantry will do the heavy fighting, so it is important to remember to use the manipular style (see above) to wear down the fanatical Gaullic infantry.
    Gallic units are actually rather easy to rout unless you're facing high-end troops, and even then a match, Hammer-Anvil tactic is quite effective at breaking them, even at the Equites-Hastati level.

For some reason the makers of RTW got it into their heads that the German spear warband could form a phalanx - which is far from the historical truth
    The German tribes were quite capable at forming spearwalls, and considering what CA did to Hellenic hoplites, the Spear Warband isn't too far inaccurate. Although we could go on all night on CA's inaccuracies.

I would say that your guide is very hard-line, "do this or you *will* fail," but it's not at all a bad guide. On the contrary, I applaud your efforts, and I'm well aware of the difficulty involved in such an undertaking.
    I beat back their first attack with ease. Properly employed, E's can be very deadly, deadlier even than P's and Z's, though they're not as lethal as Paula Abdul or Right Said Fred.
    ~ Miaowara Tomokato, Samurai Cat Goes to the Movies

Quote Originally Posted by Entropy Judge View Post
    The thing is, if someone overestimates Equites *that* much, then he/she should avoid cavalry altogether - the Roman infantry, with some Archer support, is quite capable of defeating Gallic, Spanish, and Britonic armies, and usually Germanic ones as well.

Gallic units are actually rather easy to rout unless you're facing high-end troops, and even then a match, Hammer-Anvil tactic is quite effective at breaking them, even at the Equites-Hastati level.

I don't think I was overestimating equites but I find that along with town watch they are highly underestimated in the early stages of a campaign, so I was trying to counter an arguement that said that they are useless
    In my opinion they are far from useless (until something better comes along) and I feel that they are essential vs the brits where you must be prepared to destroy the brit chariots before they get too close to your infrantry (1 on 1 equites may not be that great but a few units swarming all over chariots cause mayhem especially if aided by a general)

They are extreemly useful vs the gauls too for chasing skirmishers away and the good old hammer and anvil as you rightly point out gaul units are very easy to rout (they just smell the horses coming up behind and they are on their toes)

vs the germans they can be a bit of a waste (although 1 unit can be handy for skirmishers or screeching women) here you really need to think about good infrantry and plenty of archers / velites

But overall though it is a very interesting thread and its nice to see how others handle the julii

Beeeno's Avatar Decanus

Giuli was my favourite roman faction and by this guide I've learned a lot!!
    THX.
    Si Valete Bene Est Ego Valeo

Beeeno

Use this tip always when you play with Julii-always attack Carthage and Greek Cities as soon as possible,even if you don't want to wage war with them.They will ask for ceasefire in the next turn and after asking that you can get about 10k from both factions to accept ceasefire!

It may just be me, but two armies like this is 1) excessive overkill, and 2) for a new player (as that is the purpose of this guide), very likely to drive the Julii into debt.

The German tribes were quite capable at forming spearwalls, and considering what CA did to Hellenic hoplites, the Spear Warband isn't too far inaccurate. Although we could go on all night on CA's inaccuracies.

I would say that your guide is very hard-line, "do this or you *will* fail," but it's not at all a bad guide. On the contrary, I applaud your efforts, and I'm well aware of the difficulty involved in such an undertaking.

thanx, judge. yeah, the equites suck, but theyre auxiliaries anyway, so a noob may wish to avoid recruiting them, but they can come in handy

and about the 2 army thing, ur right, a noob inexperienced with RTW economics would probably get into debt recruiting them/upkeep, but this is what I always do (one time i used the same two armies to take all of europe, and by the end all units had gold exp., and the east fell like dominoes) but seeing how noobs usually cheat anyway, i just thought id let them know.

German spearwalls were effective, but by making them a phalanx CA made them much tougher vs infantry too, which i think is rediculous, but whatever.

Gauls are easy to rout but as a noob i had a tough time with them, so thats why i was cautious with my gallic advice

I was hardline with my guide because i just felt like laying it all down in stone, and then everyone can adapt it to their style. If i had been more, shall i say, lenient with it, it wouldnt seem like much of a noob guide, more of an explanation of my style for other vets.

But thanx for ur input, its always appreciated

Senator

Farms aren't needed to build Barracks; you just need to have larger cities, and Farms help with getting larger cities. Also, enslavement *is* a good way to boost cities' populations - you just have to remember that only the cities with governors will get the pop. boost.
    actually, in any of the building browser's in RTW, i saw that a barracks that was more advanced than the one I had but was in the right type of city(e.g = Army Barracks in Large city) said "This Item isn't avaible to construct" and then it said:"Building required to build: Communal Farming"(I think it was that)

Entropy Judge's Avatar Vicarius

It's not in the export_descr_buildings file.
    I beat back their first attack with ease. Properly employed, E's can be very deadly, deadlier even than P's and Z's, though they're not as lethal as Paula Abdul or Right Said Fred.
    ~ Miaowara Tomokato, Samurai Cat Goes to the Movies

Primicerius

actually, in any of the building browser's in RTW, i saw that a barracks that was more advanced than the one I had but was in the right type of city(e.g = Army Barracks in Large city) said "This Item isn't avaible to construct" and then it said:"Building required to build: Communal Farming"(I think it was that)
    Many mods do that to restrict barracks development, but to the best of my memory, vanilla does not require farms to build barracks.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Scutarii View Post
    Many mods do that to restrict barracks development, but to the best of my memory, vanilla does not require farms to build barracks.

oh. srry. i got it confused with RS. lol

Good guide. I am hopeless at RTW. This guide helped alot. Thanks.

Medkirtys's Avatar Senator

Nice guide, though in beggining for Mediolanium and the other Gallic town you don't need two stacks, 5-6 hastatis, 1 general and 1-3 velites are enogh for Segesta, Mediolanium, and the other one. Also, as Julii, to prevent Scipii and Brutti growing, i conquered Lilybauem, Carthagena, Larissa, Athens, and even Senate themselves asked for me to conquer Salona? Like wtf, im Julii not some Greek hunter

Indefinitely Banned

Good stuff Legio, Julii are still my most favorite faction in the RTW. Nicely done

Thanks Legio_Italica. I loved your guide, even though I am an experienced conqueror. Hope you write another one soon.
    -Demigod of Rome

I'm certain that building public buildings DOES NOT increase your popularity ratings.

You get "A Chance for Power" when you conquer 30 settlements.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast