Thread: [Faction Discussion] Xi Xia

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Default [Faction Discussion] Xi Xia

Xi Xia

This thread can be used for non-team members to discuss the Xi Xia faction. Research, ideas, and imagery for the team to use in our development of the faction are appreciated. This post will contain more information about this faction and their inclusion within the mod in the future.

Note: Please do not include Osprey images in this thread, as it is against the policy of TWC to allow copyrighted material to be posted, especially Osprey Publications.

Regards,
    AUH Team

Xuande's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: [Faction Discussion] Xi Xia - Research material ?

Hi,

I have found the website of a Chinese Museum apparently devoted to the Xi Xia culture. This museum is located in Ningxia, the former Xixia capital.

Here's the URL : http://www.e-westchina.net/xixia/index1a.htm

Honestly I could not check the contents in depth, since I don't have the police to read Chinese characters installed on my professional computer (my skills in Chinese are quite poor, anyway).

However, the website looks good, with some videos and reconstitutions. And it obviously has an history section (http://www.e-westchina.net/xixia/ny-1.htm ). If there are any native Chinese speakers there, maybe they could find some useful data for the mod on this website ?

Default Re: [Faction Discussion] Xi Xia

Who Dares Win

I advise modding team change Xi Xia to Xia.

Because Xi=western by chinese meanning. I dont think tanguts could call their own country "western xia", They 100% call their country "might xia" or "great xia"...... So this country's name should be " Xia"
    Who Dares Win

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

The guy in the second one looks a bit like a reptile.

Xi Xia, ruler at 1180 is Renxiao, which died in 1193.. he was considered as the last great ruler of Xi Xia.. The Xi Xia rulers were using the title of emperor (to oppose song) but they consider them self as a semi-devine Buddhist. Their culture is a mix of Tibetan and Chinese. Their writing was close to the Tibets, they are also Buddhist.. their capital was located at the west of yellow river or near/ on the site of present-day Yinchuan.. near their eastern border, there was a border fortress known as Khara-Khoto (black-city, mongolian call it) or Etsin as marco polo called it..

Xi Xia was considered as a rich empire, they have their own printing press (mostly used to print tripitaka). They also in the middle of silk road.

some pic of Xi Xia Soldier and General. The last one is the statue of one of Xi Xia emperor
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Hope this help.. Good luck!
    Sorry for my english
    Last edited by SirAndrean; October 22, 2009 at 10:30 AM.

look good. xi xia battle unit should a bit similiar to chinese song unit. because they are near.helmet these thing.

I know it's hardly counted as Canon truth, but the Conn Igulden Conqueror series, detailing Genghis Khan detail a fair bit of information about Xi Xia. I won't bother looking through if it is just "good storytelling", rather than research, but if you think it may be useful, I'll be hapy to take notes referring to the first two books. Unfortunately, I haven't yet bought The Plain of Bones, but I have read it, but I have the other two in easy access.

[ Cry Havoc:: ] - [ link ] - [ An Expanded World Submod for Call of Warhammer ]
    My turban brings all the muslims to the yard and they're like العنصرية ش

Yes please do. Anything like that will help. I thought you were joining the dev team ? PM me if needed. Thanks.

Oh, sorry, I thought I had to be invited. Yeah, I'll have a read through, and make some notes about them over the next few days. Stuck in bed with manflu so I'll crack on with it

[ Cry Havoc:: ] - [ link ] - [ An Expanded World Submod for Call of Warhammer ]
    My turban brings all the muslims to the yard and they're like العنصرية ش

another interesting thing about the xi xia empire aka tangut empire is that they had their own script, the tangut script. looks similar to chinese but different. just some extra info if anyone's interested

Tanguts

Heritage Exhibition

http://images.joyo.com/b/bbinpicOFOGNOK_JHKGK.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by cossacks368; July 07, 2010 at 09:15 PM.

khamulrulz's Avatar Libertus

the xi xia wikipedia page has several book sources that could be reliable sources of info - it appears that the song recognized the military strength of the xi xia, and paid tribute to them (http://china.chinaa2z.com/china/html...033474916.html) has basic info and nice pics.

http://yushanarts.com/wp-content/gal...ge_letter_.jpg
    this picture is of the mongols sieging a xi xia fortress

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-phot....jpg/tpod.html
    this picture is of a xi xia soldier/officer

google image searches of xi xia and tangut don't come up with that much other that what i've posted.

the wikipedia article stated cannons on camels. that could be cool. sorry i can't be of more help - i don't have access to concrete sources of info

EDIT: sorry, I know that this is the type of research that you guys hate. but it's all i have available.
    Last edited by khamulrulz; September 22, 2010 at 07:19 AM.

The Last Headhunter's Avatar Laetus

Western Xia eh?

The Last Headhunter's Avatar Laetus

Scene from a old movie "Dunhuang".

Western Xia Wang Yuanhao