Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 264142434445464748495051
Results 1,001 to 1,017 of 1017

Thread: [Faction Discussion] Dai Viet

Default Re: [Faction Discussion] Dai Viet

Quote Originally Posted by Yelü Dashi View Post
    No need to take them down but could you share the link with me please ?
    http://www.kupai.me/tz-417625-1-1.html

Right here. Thanks.

Also some soldier pictures from another thread but they are 16th century instead of 13th century. There is a lack of research material on Vietnamese armor and troops in general so they're using some AUH material (kitbashed, it seems, as they didn't just copy AUH stuff directly) and the rest comes from a presumably Vietnamese native who knows his/her history and draws "cute" versions of historical material on deviantart. Some of the source material on weapons is from an old Taleworlds thread about Vietnamese weaponry.

Examples of said artist's work:

Guess the armor of each person.

Answers here

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    A (incomplete) portray of various cultures-polities in East Asia in the 16th and early 17th centuries.
    North West: Mongols, Turkic and Uyghur nations. Metal scales and chainmail were primary constituents of their armour.
    South West: Hmong, Bai-Yi and Lo Lo people. These people utilized rhinoceros or buffalo hide lamellae which were abundant as well as lightweight and effective.
    Center left: Ming Chinese. Chinese soldiers had switched from the Tang-Song style to Mongols' plated mail and brigandine, which were more practical than showy.
    Center right: Joseon Korean. Like Ming Chinese, brigandine and plated mail were favored by Korean.
    North: Jurchen Manchu. Like Ming Chinese, brigandine and plated mail were favored by Manchurian. In the centuries to come, even brigandine would be discarded.
    South: Dai Viet Vietnamese. Tang-Song style armour, such as the tiger-headed "Hổ quan" helmet were still retained. Nonetheless brigandine may have also been employed. Single piece steel breast plates have been discovered in small number, which could withstand stray bullets and shrapnel.
    Upper East: Ainu and Siberian. Their armour had been seemingly unchanged for thousands of years. Bones and hides were still very common alongside metal lamellar suits.
    Lower East: Japanese. 17th century armour were substantially distinct from the splendid gears of the old. Chainmail and laminated steel suits supplanted the more costly lamellar armour, on the other hand provides more protection against bullets and arrows.

A multitude of firearms used by feudal Việt armies in their last 500 years. In chronological order: "hỏa đồng" or handgonne employed by Lê Thánh Tông's army; the "Phật lăng" or Western style breech loading cannon, either purchased or locally made by the Nguyễn and Trịnh; late Trịnh's-Nguyễn's and Tây Sơn's line infantry were furnished with "thạch cơ điểu thương"-flintlock musket; and finally the "đoản mã"-horse trooper's pistol of the light cavalry.

Turned into M2 troops:

The shields were found in a Vietnamese forum that discussed historical weapons and armor.

Last edited by IGdood; September 12, 2014 at 06:12 AM.

AHHH, nasty. They've mutilated some of my units. This must be for their Ming-dynasty mod as they are carrying handguns from the Le Dynasty, not to be confused with our Ly Dynasty, which is nearly 300 years earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by xHolyCrusader View Post
    Great quality there if you ask me, if its not due to historical accuracy i wouldnt mind if they would be left the way they are right now
    Anyways, i dont know what exactly you wanted to redo in which way so I'm always open for some surprise, and no matter what it is going to look like in the end i'm sure i will love it i just wanna save you from some extra work that is maybe not 100% necessary for a first release, so you can focus (if you want) on other stuff like the Dali and Burma units you mentioned above.
    I appreciate what you're saying, but I'm perfectionist and also now have more access to other mod's assets, and my modding ability has improved so I can (when I actually have time) work quicker than previously.

So when I see these units now, I think they kinda suck That said, we also need to realistic about AUH ever being released in a payable form so I hear what you're saying loud and clear

So when I see these units now, I think they kinda suck
    Whaaat how can you say that The Song are my favourite of all the yet previewed units

Thank guys, I was nearing a full preview of Dai Viet when mod activity ground to a halt due to work/family - I will get round to it, just annoying that a team member has taken these images from the dev forum and previewed them elsewhere. No need to take them down but could you share the link with me please ? I will contact the domod guys. They are sharing with us, and have made much more progress with BattleMap buildings etc and I intend to kit-bash some of their better units especially when I re-do the Song units and maybe use some as placeholders for the factions like Dali, Burma where we have no real models yet.
    I love DOMOD DaLi units, mostly because they are so different to anything around (they wear turbans and rattan armor), but they missed unarmored light infantry, which I suppose composed a good portion of the DaLi armies, and they are probably unrealistic anyway (apart from armors and shields).

Thank guys, I was nearing a full preview of Dai Viet when mod activity ground to a halt due to work/family - I will get round to it, just annoying that a team member has taken these images from the dev forum and previewed them elsewhere. No need to take them down but could you share the link with me please ? I will contact the domod guys. They are sharing with us, and have made much more progress with BattleMap buildings etc and I intend to kit-bash some of their better units especially when I re-do the Song units and maybe use some as placeholders for the factions like Dali, Burma where we have no real models yet.

Still astounded anyone pays attention to AUH ! though people did wait 6 years for EBII, so maybe there is yet some hope Will ask for help as when needed, but most is still artwork right now and getting the EDM and EDU together etc. Any delay is down to me !
    As mentioned, I love the Song. My altogether favourite preview so far, although the Bodyguard for the Tibetan faction is right up there with favourite units - and that Emperor system sounds amazing. In regards to pay attention to the site, I've pretty much checked every day for any new potential news regarding it. Easily my most eagerly awaited mod since I saw it first a couple of years ago (before I signed up for the site, even). It will definitely be a sad day not to play with these glorious models on that amazing map.

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Horus View Post
    As mentioned, I love the Song. My altogether favourite preview so far, although the Bodyguard for the Tibetan faction is right up there with favourite units - and that Emperor system sounds amazing. In regards to pay attention to the site, I've pretty much checked every day for any new potential news regarding it. Easily my most eagerly awaited mod since I saw it first a couple of years ago (before I signed up for the site, even). It will definitely be a sad day not to play with these glorious models on that amazing map.
    I believe the Tibetan Bodyguard models may be in the mod River of Blood which I posted in the other thread, or at least they have a model that looks similar.

[N2]Kami's Avatar Semisalis

So umm, sorry for bagging in like this but I'm suppose this mod is still some how is wip right?

It has been quite some time from the last post.

I understand that many do not think AUH is dead, I myself just think that it's progressing very slowly, just like my translation regarding the Imjin War mod for M2.

I have been saving pictures in case the links die, as they tend to do after awhile. If the posters don't mind (I'm assuming they still visit this thread from time to time), I would like to give some of the info researched to the Chinese mod team. They do not have Dai Viet planned for Shaoding at the moment, but giving a lot of info to them might change their minds since it will cut down on a lot of research time for them. I understand that AUH has done a lot of work, and I'm grateful to all who contributed.

A few months ago I compiled the information gathered here and translated it into Chinese so the Chinese modders could have some sources to work with.

There's yet another mod called The Road which spans a much greater area than Shaoding does and it has Dai Viet in it.

The assets are mainly a combination of both what has already been worked on by the AUH team and from the Vietnamese assets from their 16th century mod. They might also took a few notes from the information in this thread.

I'm not sure how many of you still lurk around here but...

These are the units. Stats are not balanced as of yet.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Vietnamese General's Bodyguard - Sole horse archer unit.

Vietnamese Peasants

Vietnamese Levy Spearmen

Vietnamese Regular Army Swordsmen

Vietnamese Regular Army Spearmen

Vietnamese Royal Spearmen

Vietnamese Royal Swordsmen

Vietnamese Levy Crossbows

Vietnamese Regular Army Archers

Thank you very much for sharing, some of these look pretty cool!

Oh I was thinking Da Li. So, Shaoding is adding Dai Viet now? (I mean, they have faction slots remaining).
    Last edited by Yayattasa; May 26, 2016 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yayattasa View Post
    Oh I was thinking Da Li. So, Shaoding is adding Dai Viet now? (I mean, they have faction slots remaining).
    Shaoding's team seems to be inactive as of late. The Dai Viet units are part of a mod called The Road which had a very early release a long time ago and just recently got an update.

I'm struggling to keep up (thanks, school!) with all the mods and I think this is the list thus far:

Chu Han Contention - Han dynasty vs Qin dynasty
    Elegy of the Han/Han Zhi Shang - A 3 kingdoms era mod with a lot more factions.

Shaoding - Mainly east Asia centric, 1200s with the rise of the Mongols
    The Road - Map goes from Shaoding's map to the west but oddly cuts off at around Italy/HRE territory. Time period is same as that of Shaoding's.

Imjin War - Self explanatory. East Asia centric, limited amount of factions and basically is about the Imjin War.
    Asia Dynasties - Around the time close to the end of the Ming Dynasty and Imjin War, but map is expanded to include Indonesia, Central Asia
    大明山河志 - No English name for this one yet, but it's another Ming Dynasty mod around the same time period as that of Asia Dynasties, except the map is limited to East Asia.

Sigh of the Empire - Late Qing mod centered around the Opium War and the Taiping Rebellion. Not getting anymore updates because they moved it to....

19th Century Storm Riders - Sigh of the Empire given the Asia Dynasties treatment map-wise. The map goes from Japan to Central Asia, Russia to Indonesia. Time period is mid 1800s to turn of the century with subsequent reforms.
    Last edited by IGdood; May 27, 2016 at 12:57 AM.

Our REAL faction preview is finally done. Catch it here.

[N2]Kami's Avatar Semisalis

May I ask where did you find the shield example? I'm making a sub mod for morning son 2 that represent the Đại Việt army in Lê's dynasty but I can't find any shield pattern anywhere. The only image I could find is a black long oval wooden shield from Trần's dynasty.

nhinhonhinho's Avatar Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by [N2]Kami View Post
    May I ask where did you find the shield example? I'm making a sub mod for morning son 2 that represent the Đại Việt army in Lê's dynasty but I can't find any shield pattern anywhere. The only image I could find is a black long oval wooden shield from Trần's dynasty.
    So what pattern of shield do you want to use? Oval, round or a bit exotic once?

Quote Originally Posted by [N2]Kami View Post
    There are no evidents regard shield patterns in the Later Lê Dynasty. However there are references from early dynasties and even from the Chinese (which Dai Viet militaries based on) you can use. For example, in the Lı-Trần Dynasty, Dai Viet' army shield patterns are moon and stars, lion and tiger, animals and dragon. As for the Chinese sources, they mostly use tiger (lion ?) design. Even the Koreans favors tiger (lion ?) design, too.

I really didn't know exactly source of the image but I doubt it was painted in the 21st century. Maybe some Koreans can tell me about the source of the image ?