View Poll Results: Are the romans waaay too strong on multiplayer?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • no, the romans are actually weaker than most other factions

8 9.64%
  • nope, theyre the same as everyone else

33 39.76%
  • heck yeah, their rediculously strong!

42 50.60%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The Romans

Default Re: The Romans

Quote Originally Posted by Aetius View Post
    no...it won't I have tried...

Scythian HA sucks (compared with auxila archers) and their noble cav still arent all that good.
    no m8, true strenght of scythia lies not in his noble cavarly or his regular horse archers, but instead.

1-Cheap armour piercing light cavarly, (Maidens), that can take any cavarly unit in game, outside cata camels perhaps.
    2-Regular archers have 3 initial armour instead of normal 0
    3-Reasonably cheap long range Horse Archers
    4-Wardogs

Rome, doenst stand a chance in a prolonged archer war with scythia, that is the problem, only chance that can have is rush.

Senator

yes. and, Scythia is a low-cost/high-mobility faction. I remember playing a 2v2 on 20k(10k for each person) and 1 player chose Scythia and he had 20 units of Scythin Noble Archers, with some upgrades!

Quote Originally Posted by Selifator View Post
    If you are all of the opinion that this sucks, and all you can do is express that opinion in insulting language, why bother doing so?
    because i have said so many times in the rtw friendly lobby and i have been crushing people that use rome with the weirdest of factions ever since Sith picked me up from the Gamer gutter and trained me.
    the fact that rome is heralded as the best of factions after the game has been out for 6 years is extremely disturbing and i fear that soon all the veterans will become bored if annihilating you guys, go play another game, and within a year you will have a clan of 200 noobs that worship the chat monitor for his swift typing leetness. i will do what ever i can to prevent this from happening. if i have to use harsh language to persuade people to play good then so be it. there will be no chatmonitor worshipping noobcult on my watch.

To Teo: the faction is called Mace, not max.

To Aetius: If that is how you use scythia, seek proffesional help. Deerhunter has the phone number of a good shrink.

To the horse archer spammer from Seleucid' king's 2v2: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAH!!!

To Toern: We gonna own some more retards on friday? i got BF2 with warman and Babarus on thursday...

To Seleucid king: you really have a good basic understanding of not only seleucids but also scythia.

To Warman, There i stopped multi posting. everyone happy now. Cake?
    Last edited by |Sith| Max; February 18, 2009 at 06:08 PM.

Senator

just cause i am a noob doesnt mean i worship the ing chat monitor!

perhaps i should reiterate the point of this thread:

I am NOT a noob to RTW, only to MP. I beat Rome easily in single player and win as Rome and vs non-romans in MP. Rome is definitely stronger in MP than in SP, that is a fact. She may be very beatable by MP vets, but that is not my point.

My point is: why is Rome stronger in MP? how is that missed? I think she is too strong in MP and i was simply pointing that out. And this is also apparently the opinion of a significant majority here, as you will see from the poll. So it appears that it is those of you who refuse to even consider my point and simply use this thread to spout your tactical styles and tecniques who need to be examined, not me.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

MaceMan's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Legio_Italica View Post
    perhaps i should reiterate the point of this thread:

I am NOT a noob to RTW, only to MP. I beat Rome easily in single player and win as Rome and vs non-romans in MP. Rome is definitely stronger in MP than in SP, that is a fact. She may be very beatable by MP vets, but that is not my point.

My point is: why is Rome stronger in MP? how is that missed? I think she is too strong in MP and i was simply pointing that out. And this is also apparently the opinion of a significant majority here, as you will see from the poll. So it appears that it is those of you who refuse to even consider my point and simply use this thread to spout your tactical styles and tecniques who need to be examined, not me.
    You shouldn't compare playing against Rome in SP, even on VH/VH, to playing against Rome on MP. In MP, you're playing against other humans with the capacity to formulate different strategies and efficiently react to and counter your moves. This is why beating Rome, and any other faction, is harder on MP than on SP. You say that you're still able to defeat non-Roman factions on MP with relative ease? Then in that case you were probably fighting players less experienced than those that used Rome against you. If this is the case, then it's just luck of the draw, but Rome as a faction doesn't just magically get stronger when you go on multiplayer.

"...and MaceMan outflanks with a dose of reality..."
    -GeneralChaos

Ex - Rome: Total War Commentator

The single-player AI, unless you are on a mod where the designers have optimized it to some degree(specifically DM) is-let's put it blunty-practically drunk sometimes. Often, it will charge generals right into a phalanx line rather than trying to flank. In DM, the AI knows about feints and concentrating troops and the jazz, but it still can't compare to a human who is semi-decent.

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Max View Post

To the horse archer spammer from Seleucid' king's 2v2: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAH!!!
    actually his side won that cause his Ally was Parthia and the Parthia player spammed Elephants and HA
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Max View Post

To Seleucid king: you really have a good basic understanding of not only seleucids but also scythia.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by MaceMan View Post
    You shouldn't compare playing against Rome in SP, even on VH/VH, to playing against Rome on MP. In MP, you're playing against other humans with the capacity to formulate different strategies and efficiently react to and counter your moves. This is why beating Rome, and any other faction, is harder on MP than on SP. You say that you're still able to defeat non-Roman factions on MP with relative ease? Then in that case you were probably fighting players less experienced than those that used Rome against you. If this is the case, then it's just luck of the draw, but Rome as a faction doesn't just magically get stronger when you go on multiplayer.
    thats not what im saying. Im just saying that, say, post-engagement, you are sitting there watching your unit of Royal Pikemen struggle against a unit of urbans. In SP, even with equal, all gold stats, the pikemen will win, taking 20-30 casualties on huge settings.

On MP, however, in this scenario with relatively the same stats, urbans will break royal pikemen easily, taking about 60 casualties on huge settings. I have purposely tried this exact scenario with these exact results. Obviously Rome is way stronger on MP than SP, and this has nothing to do with human vs AI.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

no i was pointing out that horse archer and elephant spam is the most noob thing u can do in a battle along with phalanx box and zerkspam

Senator

and there is a relativly easy way to beat a n00b box, even if it is made of Spartans

MaceMan's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Seleucid king View Post
    and there is a relativly easy way to beat a n00b box, even if it is made of Spartans
    That's why it's called a "n00b box".
    Although to be fair, a n00b box can be a viable strategy, albeit only in certain rare situations.

"...and MaceMan outflanks with a dose of reality..."
    -GeneralChaos

Ex - Rome: Total War Commentator

actually his side won that cause his Ally was Parthia and the Parthia player spammed Elephants and HA

Thank you.

I hope you know that he was being sarcastic...?

Senator

and the HA thing meant "Horse Archers"

Senator

Quote Originally Posted by MaceMan View Post
    That's why it's called a "n00b box".

well to use the strategy the battle has to be in the 20k range anyways.

the strategy is to:

use Armenia
    get 6 Cataphract archers
    6 Cataphracts
    and 4 Armoured Eastern Generals

and then for the battle:

put the Cataphract Archers on Cant. Circle and target the enemy missile units in the center
    when they are all killed target each of the the hoplite units(or Pikemen units) so they are facing away from you

SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT!

you should have inflicted Massive casualties of the enemy.

then take your ENTIRE ARMY and Alt+Right Click on the Closest Hoplite(or Pikemen) unit. since they were faced with taking Horrific Casualties, and now are being faced with over 500 Angry Silver and Green Horsemen with Big Sticks with a Spiked Ball on the end, they will most likely rout.

Lather, rinse, and Repeat with the rest of the enemy army Ftw!

well to use the strategy the battle has to be in the 20k range anyways.

the strategy is to:

use Armenia
    get 6 Cataphract archers
    6 Cataphracts
    and 4 Armoured Eastern Generals

and then for the battle:

put the Cataphract Archers on Cant. Circle and target the enemy missile units in the center
    when they are all killed target each of the the hoplite units(or Pikemen units) so they are facing away from you

SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT!

you should have inflicted Massive casualties of the enemy.

then take your ENTIRE ARMY and Alt+Right Click on the Closest Hoplite(or Pikemen) unit. since they were faced with taking Horrific Casualties, and now are being faced with over 500 Angry Silver and Green Horsemen with Big Sticks with a Spiked Ball on the end, they will most likely rout.

Lather, rinse, and Repeat with the rest of the enemy army Ftw!
    *sarcastic comment removed due to the high chance of causing death*

OMG is this another joke

lets keep it on-topic people

We cant keep it off topic cuz the whole topic is noobish and retarded