View Poll Results: Blockades - how much do u use them?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • blockades?? who needs em?

1 10.00%
  • only if i need to

1 10.00%
  • in moderation

5 50.00%
  • more than most

0 0%
  • i luv blockading!!!

3 30.00%

Thread: Blockades - what do u think?

Default Blockades - what do u think?

i use blockades religiously when i can. its amazing how much a little blockading can cripple ur enemy. when attacking a powerful enemy, especially one stronger than me, i blockade as many of his ports as possible 4 several yrs bfore attacking. i did this once as parthia vs julii. they (the julii) owned eastern and southern europe and all of greece. i blockaded all their ports 4 ten yrs bfore attacking. by then, most their cities had rebelled, and the rest had only 1-2 cohorts in them. i therefore utterly destroyed the julli within 4 yrs after my 10-yr blockade. it was sweet
    Last edited by Lord Thesaurian; January 07, 2009 at 02:23 PM.
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Roman_Wolf's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Blockades - what do u think?

i use blockades heavily. Especially against those Cathaginian s.
    this way, I conquered all of Europe and then finally returned to conquer carthage in Africa. so as Carthage had all of it's ports blockaded, they offered 0 resistance to my invasion .

What was also fun about this is that Carthage lost many full stack armies while they were still in the sea. Poor s drowned.
    Love is the most powerful thing on Earth, unless you have access to weaponry.

No, not really. Since I usually play on VH, with the 10k bonus the AI gets, a war of attrition doesn't make much sense anyway. I blockade ports only occassionally, when my fleets have nothing better to do, e.g. when I land on enemy teritory and have to keep a fleet nearby for an eventual retreat.

Tiro

I block them when I get asked for by the Senate. Never knew it can do so much harm. I will use them in my next mission

Regards

Jehanzeb

yeah, even on vh/vh blockades still do alot of damage if u block alot of enemy ports over time. it just takes patience
    Of these facts there cannot be any shadow of doubt: for instance, that civil society was renovated in every part by Christian institutions; that in the strength of that renewal the human race was lifted up to better things-nay, that it was brought back from death to life, and to so excellent a life that nothing more perfect had been known before, or will come to be known in the ages that have yet to be. - Pope Leo XIII

Maybe. But I usually deal with a faction long before that would hapen 8) But of course, if I would try to end a war in my favor without actually completely destroying a faction, blockades would come in handy

@jehanzeb: Yeah, that too. It's just been so long since I played vanilla that I completely forgot about senate missions

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I remember playing as Armenia I was at war with Pontus and Neutral with Sels surprisingly enough. The Pontus capital was in sight (I think it ws their capital on the coast) they were recieving large income from this city. Infact this city could probably maintain their whole army. I blockaded their city and watched as their money and resistance dropped in turns.
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!

Have some rep, Legio_Italica, I never thought it did much noticeable damage to a faction's economy, but if it does it would appear I will have to try it.

Lord Dakier's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Youll be surprised with how well it works. The more trade lines there is the more effective it will be.
    We Came, We Saw, We Ran Away!