Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Your Most Glorious Battle

Maximus_96's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Your Most Glorious Battle

my most glorious battle was scipii (me) vs Carthage. i cheated in this scipii name but i accendentally saved over it later.the battle...right. on sicily there was a carthaginian army with two family members in it, so i bribed it. tehn i got all of the mercenaries possible wich was only two groups of peltasts because there was a 13 group army in lilybaeum. the carthaginians came out of the city and attacked me and i was outnumbered 5-1 i think. on the map the was some rocks on a slight hill so i positioned my men there. the carthaginians came and about 200 of them were killed by my peltasts before they engaged in melee combat. i cant remember the rest, but i won the battle and all of my units had at least one gold chevron.

Why is John suspended?

Mine is from barbarian invasion

One time I took a Sarmaritian army of three or four generals bodyguards, one virgin cavalry, one herdsmen unit, and two slave spearmen (257 men) against an Eastern Roman Empire army of trained comitensaites and limantei supported by an archer unit and one or two peasents and two or three cavalry units (693 men). The ratio wasn't that good, and his men were better equipped than mine. My slave spearmen were probably the worst infantry I could have put into battle. To make matters worst, I had three quarters of my entire family tree in that army, including the only decent general in my entire faction: the faction heir. I really thought it was all over.

I deployed inside a thin forest and hid my cavalry (excluding the commander, who I placed behind the two spear units) on the left of my line. I left my infantry in standing, so all he could see was my two spearmen units. I'm not exactly sure why, but he attacked en masse on my position, confident he could overwhelm me. It was then that I made a small mistake. I thought he was aiming to flank me from the right, so I panicked and sent my herdsmen and virgin cavalry to support that flank. In doing so, he spotted them and suddenly switched directions. I was able to bring them back, but he was now way too close to my line. I charged the spearmen to engage his heavier comitansaites + the majority of his limantei, and charged my cavalry to take out his equites and remaining limantei. Apparently, I underestimated my bodyguard's strength. They plowed through the equites, and though it took a while, the limantei. For some miraculous reason, ten of my spearmen were fighting to the death amist the main roman line, who had encircled them. In addition, he had deployed his peasents on his right flank, along with the few untrained limantei in his army. This allowed me to smash these units from behind and route his entire right flank. The limantei on the left, seeing this, ran as well. The remaining two or three comitansaites were the real difficulty, while one was facing the wrong way, and ran after I charged him, the other two stood their ground. It took most of my herdsmen and the rest of my spearmen to finally break them. For some odd reason, only a single bodyguard had died. The rest of the limantei regrouped and returned to fight, but they were too disorganized to put up a decent struggle. After taking out his archers, I could claim victory.

After pulling up the battle statistics, I was stunned. My army had killed a whooping 667 Romans, and ended the battle with 135 men remaining. My opponent had killed only 144 men, most of them slave spearmen, and came out with a mere 24 men.

Thinking about it again, I really got lucky in that battle. Especially on that right flank of the enemy; had he deployed at least one more comitensaites on the right, I would probably would have lost. If my slave spearmen had not lasted out as long, I would have lost the battle as well. Yeah, I got really lucky. But it was a memorable battle!

Oh, and a funny battle was one that I fought really long ago, so I can't remember it as well. It was in the vanilla RTW.

I had a small Greek army of militia hopilites and a few peltasts defending a small town. The opposing army Bruti army had a large army of velites, equites, and hastai. I had a large reinforcment group on the way, but I had accidentely put them under a general, so they were AI controlled and took forever to arrive. Anyway, I sallied forth, and of course, they lost. But, the Bruti didn't have any siege weapons, so they couldn't enter the settlement without me opening the gates. However, I was young and didn't realize that, so I just sent out my guys and let them get massacred. However, a single peltast survived the encounter. One guy; that's all. So, I posted him in the town square, and let my reinforcments wipe out the rest. Jeez, and to think it was that close. I got a Close Victory, though I should probably add a Ridicilously Close Victory to the game.
    Last edited by Kroot9525; June 12, 2009 at 06:23 PM.

I just installed the RTR mod and began a campaign as Rome. within the first 2 moves King Pyrhhus(spelling?) and a full stack of Greeks were in Southern Italy taking Rebel cities with ease. I immediately withdrew my 1 army from sicily and spent every penny on new recruits. 2 years later and after a couple small skirmishes Pyrhhus was 1 move away from Rome. So i gathered my men and put them under the command of my Leader Lucinus and marched South. The next move the greeks attacked and I was shocked to see they had a unit of elephants(Didnt know Greece could recruit elephants and not sure where they went to get them this early in the game). Regardless I withdrew from battle and reassembled my army to have more missile units(5 Velites). The next turn I was attacked again and I accepted.

The greeks had about 1500 men to my 1200 but I had the highground.
    I deployed on a small incline with trees to my rear and a steep valley to my right. Pyrrhus and his elephants positioned on my left flank so I immediately sent 4 velites units(120men each) and my General to the left, I sent all 480 velites to launch a volley at the elephants, as I hoped the elephants panicked as 500 spears rained on them and the elephants began routing, and trampled Pyrrhus' Cavalry. As the elephants moved on I immediately sent my General to attack the weakened general and with the initial charge Pyrhhus was dead and the entire Greek army routed. Suffering zero casualties and only killing 20 or so men the battle was over and Greece fled from Italy. 2 moves later I had retaken the defenseless Greek settlements in italy.

It's been 10 years since that day and I haven't heard from the greeks since(Other than a few naval battles).
    My Leader and Hero of the day died a couple years later and so I figured I'd build an amphitheatre in Rome in his honor and had daily games for 5 years(I know a waste of money but it's what the real Romans would do :p )

Mine isn't glorious in terms of the battle fought, mostly just the outcome.

I was playing as the Brutii and one of my cities in Greece was sieged by the Macedonians. I had about 8000 units, all left over from previously taking the city a few turns earlier from Greece, to their 1200 or so. I had only had one unit of archers and two velites so I knew my hastati were in for a battle. The Macedonians brought in two towers, one set of ladders, and a ram. For some reason, the unit with ladders and about three others never moved. The rest slowly made their way forward. The gates broke and an initial charge of two units of phalanxes and the general were pushed back with some minor casualties to my own units. The enemy general was killed though.

On the walls, my hastati easily routed the phalanx units sent against them. The AI then proceeded to send one or two units at a time through my gates, only to rout before they could get through from the burning oil. Eventually, the only units left were the three that were with the ladders that had still not moved, which I finally sallied forth and easily routed as well.

All in all, I lost about 30 men to their 1200.

in my first ever campaign ( i was julii ) the gauls somehow managed to get into italy and attack my capital. obviously i was rather ticked off, also to make matters worse i was outnumbered around 6-1 AND couldent get reinforcements any time soon so i just recruited another unit of principes in the city and hoped for the best. the massive gallic army of 1100 were trying to breach my gates with a ram, meanwhile my gatehouses are working them over with oil and my archers stationed on the walls are raining death down upon their heads.

my army
    3 units of principe
    1 unit of bowmen
    1 unit of triarii
    1 unit of auxillia
    1 roman general

my bowmen were on my walls as i said and my infantry were behind the gates, as soon as the gates fell the gauls ran into my city in a very disorganised fashion, their warbands were made short work of by my principe.

the peasents they deployed were routed rather easily with around 20 men left in that unit, my bowmen continued to rain death down upon my enemies.

i sent in my auxillia and triarii to reinforce my principes, this delivered a huge blow to my enemy.

little did i know my gallic foes were ramming my other gate ( THE NERVE!!!!! ) so when the gate had fallen i was hit in the flanks by 2 units of chosen swordsmen ( ouch )

that assault from the gauls cost me a whole unit of principe but thanks to some aerial support and good infantry i managed to gain the upper hand over the swordsmen

the chosen swordsmen routed and my auxillia hacked them down as they ran ( my archers are always firing upon my enemy )

sometime after that my archers ran out of ammo and there were still around 600 men left to be killed
    so i deployed my archers on ground level to watch the other open gate ( since it would be better if i didnt divide my forces )

the remaining barbarians were

5 units of spear warbands ( 300 men which is half their army )
    1 unit of archers
    2 units of chosen swordsmen
    3 units of axemen
    1 unit of cavalry
    1 gallic general

altogether that makes 564 men i believe

the warbands were attacking very recklessly and carelessly which cost them great amounts of soldiers. within minutes my principes and triarii had reduced 5 units of warbands to just over 2

the axemen came in through my other gate but this time i had a slight defence in the bowmen, i dispatched my auxillia and a unit of principe to combat the heathens. shortly after the remaining swordsmen attacked my "main" gate where they were held aggressively by my principe and triarii.

the axemen had fallen. i sent the principe and auxillia back to the "main" gate where they met in combat with the remaining warbands. by this time the enemy had only 144 men left, now since we were rather equal on numbers it seemed a fairer fight, my principe ran down the enemy warbands like grass.

just as i thought the battle was won the cavalry entered the other gate and slaughtered my bowmen, they then pulled out. the cavalry charged and pulled out many times before i could finally stop them, when i caught the cavalry the general attacked and delivered a huge blow to my troops. thanks to these charges i lost 2 units of principe and my archers but my spearmen ( auxillia/triarii ) made short work of those menacing cavalry( bastards!!!!!).

Visiar's Avatar Centenarius

When I was playing Twilight of the Republic, I had 1 general guard, 1 swordsman, and 1 peltasts. The enemy had about 1,500 men. I decided to beseige a city in Gaul playing as Rome. I sent a general and some mercs to Gaul and but some time. I decided to seige a city and the garrison sallied out the next turn. I held the enemy with the peltasts and swordsman and repeatedly charged in their backs. Eventually my infantry was all killed, but my guard had about 6-7 chevrons by now and he won the day. Had ~280 and killed ~1,500.

"I've read the last page of the Bible. It's all going to turn out all right"
    -Billy Graham
    When did you become interested in politics?
    The very instant I became old.

Dave Strider's Avatar Dux Limitis

Ok, Necroposts, first off.

2nd, here is mine:

It's a Gallic Campaign, 236 B.C. My Best General, Epordeorix the Conqueror, was leading about 2,500 Gallic soldiers, Mainly Warbands and Swordsmen, deep into Italy. He had no reinforcements, no ability to retrain, and every battle would weaken him more and more.

So anyways, He is about half way between Segesta and Arretium when, all of a sudden, 3,500 Julii pop out of nowhere and attack. The Romans are on a hill, they have lots of cavalry and they have Pila, and lots of it(10,500 Pila[3 Pila per man X 3,500 men = 10,500 Pila])

The Romans come off of the hill to find a defensive ring of Gauls. Warbands in front to absorb the Javelins, Swordsmen behind to deliver a Counter charge.

The Romans attack, first with their cavalry. The Warband's spears cut right through them, they flee with 27 of 330 men remaining.

The Hastati attack, the Swordsmen cut through them, they lose 2,000 of 2,300 men.

The Velites attack, the General of the Gauls and his bodyguard run them down, they lose 340 of 500 men.

The Principies attack, they are attacked by the entire Gallic army. They run, only to have 450 of their 500 men killed while running.

The Gauls lose only 156 men.

Total men:
    Gauls: 2,543

Romans: 3,630

Total Losses:
    Gauls: 156 men

Romans: 3,093 men
    when the union's inspiration through the worker's blood shall run,
    there can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun,
    yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one?
    but the union makes us strong.

I can't remember a glorious victory, but I do recall a glorious defeat of mine.

In 268 BC, the city of Corinth was ill-defended. Prince Damasos had led most of the garrison to crush the rebellious Athenians. The Corinthian guard consisted of 80 archers and 160 militia hoplites.

King Kleomenes of Sparta, seeing this weakness, personally marched north with 160 Hoplites and his own 48-man bodyguard. Corinth was surrounded, and siege equipment prepared.

Damasos heard of this, but could not abandon the siege of Athens to assist the city. Every Macedonian in Corinth felt that the gods had abandoned the city.

Six months later, the Greek king ordered an assault on the city's stone walls. The gates had been broken by a Greek spy, but the Greeks did not move for it yet. The archers of Macedon were positioned on the walls of the city, and showered the ladder-bearing hoplites with arrows. The hoplites took heavy casualties, but the ladders reached the walls. The archers fled to the town center, their work completed in the form of 63 dead hoplites.

One unit of hoplites was just outside the town center, guarding the road in phalanx formation. The other was deployed at the gates. The second unit of Greek hoplites marched for the gates in standard formation.

The militia held their ground, and they lasted long enough so that the boiling oil killed a large number of hoplites. Finally, the Greeks took the gateway, and soon after, the Macedonians broke. Only 20 men remained in one unit, and 17 in the other. Most of these men were killed as they marched by Macedonian sentries, and the last 12 were killed by the militia at the center.

Furious, King Kleomenes moved his cavalry into the city. They smashed through the captain's militia hoplites, killing the Macedonian captain and most of his men. Kleomenes then moved and killed the Macedonian archers in melee combat, and most of the militia. All that was left was one single militia hoplite.

Kleomenes turned and led the charge to finish this insolent militiaman. The young man set his feet and readied his spear and shield in the prescribed manner of a man on the first rank of a phalanx, and as the king neared him, he thrust the spear upwards. It pierced Kleomenes's breastplate and drove into his heart. He fell from his horse, and the hoplite speared one of his guards before he was cut down.

Immediately after taking Athens, Damasos turned back to Corinth, fearing the worst, and found it guarded only by one unit of hastily-conscripted peasants. His force marched in and overwhelmed them with ease.
    In this day and age, there are two kinds of people: people with sticks, and people with bigger sticks.

See my RTW commentary battles on YouTube

Oh, I got another one:

Barbarian Invasion 1.4

The ERE

Summer, 374 A.D.

Constantinople was under seige by the Huns, who numbered some 7-8 stacks, about 13,000 to 18,000 men in total. Constantinople was defended by Flavius Valens(Or whatever the ERE Emperor's name is), his 100 bodyguards, about 100 Scholae Palatinae, 5-600 Limitanei and 310 or so archers.

The Huns had 5,500 men on the field, at least. But, they only built 1 Battering Ram and 1 Seige tower. You can see where I am going with this.

The Ram got lit aflame by arrows from the Towers and the archers, then the Huns scaled the wall in their seige tower. The Limitanei held their ground, but they were almost slaughtered as they were faced with well over 2,000 Hunnic Warbands. The Steppe Spearmen had 6 attack and 12 defence, the Romans 5 attack and 13 defence. Needless to say it was an even battle, until the Archers opened fire uopn the seige tower. Finally, after 7 volleys it caught fire, was destroyed, and the Hunnic Infantry killed, the remaining Huns fled.

1,200 Huns dead, 400 Romans dead.

The Huns did the same thing 5 more times within a decade and lost about 5,000 more men, but many of the fails were due to the Towers themselves. They were the key to destroying the Towers and Ram, and they were responsible for over half of the Hunnic deaths.

But, finally, Constantinople fell, when the remaining Roman Garrison, about 400 men, killed over 2,500 Huns in a last stand. The Huns never recovered. Soon I had my new Faction leader expel the Huns and killed every last one of them.

I just fought a battle today, and what I did personally was nothing monumental, but the result was.

I had just captured Massila, and was preparing to march to Lugdunum with about 1000 men. I clicked on the city and my army advanced. My men run out of movement points, and just on the edge of my line of sight, a full stack of british troops standing outside of the city. I know what's going to happen next, and I click end turn.

The british army attacked me as I expected. They numbered well over 3000, while I had just over 1000. I set up my defense on a hill with some large rocks protecting my right flank. The enemy sends a horde of warbands at my few units of hastati, but I notice a chance to strike a blow at the enemy. The british general is within range of my archers, and as they reload a nearby unit of hastati discharges a pila throw at him, killing a few chariots.
    The archers release their arrows, and the general falls just as two units of swordsmen reach my far left unit of hastati. The entire enemy army breaks in a flash, and my equites pursue them.

In the end I had lost only 65 men, while inflicting 2356 kills on the enemy.

150 vs. roughly 700

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Nice going, awesome kill-death ratio! Gotta love the timely fall of the enemy general. I had a similar one I played some time ago on the first page of this thread, also against the Britons and relying on a perfect time to knock off the enemy general. It was a great feeling.

It's always amusing when something causes a mass rout early on in the battle. I've fought several where 80% of the kills were routers.
    In this day and age, there are two kinds of people: people with sticks, and people with bigger sticks.

See my RTW commentary battles on YouTube

leseras's Avatar Miles

It was the year 223BC. The Brutii had just succesfully conquered all of Greece. It was a good day to die. Their roman rivals, the weak julli had started to expand to Caralis. We wouldn't allow anything further, nor we would allow scippi to continue rampagin through Carthage. So we took over the settlements, Carthage, Medolanium and Patavium . Unfortunately, the Brittons were jealous of our exapansive territories. The marched on the city, Medolanium. It had enough food to survive a year(two turns cause one equals half), not enough for me to reach them. We had to sally forth. Their army stood at an outstanding number of 2000(plus), while we were greatly outnumbered 100:1. This did not stop us! We let out the battlecry! THIS IS ROMAN!

Our faction heir, Flavius Brutus and his veteran band of hastati, velites and equites were ready for battle. He spoke...
    "Today we face a great enemy, the Brittons! We have been brought here by great leaders, while they have been brought forth by mewing infants! We are greatly outnumbered, so if we die, we die as HEROS! And by tomorrow, our sword arms will ache from overuse!" (as far as i can remember)

We stood in front of our proud city. Many of us were scared, but hardened our hearts.

They charged at us like the barbarians they were! The velites threw their missles slowing many of them down, but it was not enough. Once they were out, they retreated behind the hastati, who stood their ground, like a true ROMAN! Careless as they were the enemy left their flanks unprotected by spearman or calvary. EQUITES! CHARGE! They took them out on by one, the Brittons slowly lost their moral, but they were still a large force. They only had on unit of infantry and their general left. All I was left with was a fuly charged up velite and my general. I had to do it. Flavius Brutus took upon himself to finish the battle, whether in death or vitory, he would be honoured. Their infantry was crushed. The two generals came head to head, fighting to the death. Ultimately, Flavius Brutus gave his life to the empire, but he was victorious for the velites crushed the general at the last moment.

The land remained roman. THIS LAND IS ROMAN!

wait, 100:1? 2,000 Britons? That means you had 20 men.....

leseras's Avatar Miles

OH WAIT SORRY 10:1

it isnt glorius and ill update it soon but 400 romans facing 800 rebels 100 of my troops were computer controlled i had some so-so merces and a general the enemy has 400-500 crappy speamman some peasants and a general to start i harrassed their spearman with my general 80 dead enemy from charging and pulling back no romans i then outflanked them with my cavalry and charged they were screwed nothing could stop my general the reinforcments arrived to help i then routed the enemy killed the rebel general and killed the routers so of 400 troops my 50 cavalry unsuppored killed 600 and losing 10 but it isnt necesarilly glorius cause i should have won anyway but 60 to 1 casualties is still good

No, I'd say that that is glorious.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick II View Post
    No, I'd say that that is glorious.
    no i was simply rounding up peasents and crappy spears and slautering them

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast