Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: MA - Suggestions, Comments, Discussion

Default MA - Suggestions, Comments, Discussion

Hey folks,

If you have any suggestions or comments on how to improve Megas Alexandros, I'd love to hear them. Just leave them here.
    RIP Calvin, you won't be forgotten.

Default Re: MA Open Beta - Suggestions and Comments

Have you seen this?
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=192220
    You could combine your work with him. How about using his new factions and units?

Mathais's Avatar Ordinarius

I would say maybe changing the coast of some units. Well maybe it just me but I seem to make money rather easily I usally like it when i have to use my units to the max and not be so careless due to the lower price and upkeep. I have changed the costs of the units and am trying it out now and seeing how much of the game play it changes but it some thing to think about.

it's more important that the units are historically accurate and aesthetically well done! (no vanilla units)! for ex. as the units made in RS2!

Phalanx300's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Yeah, Historical accuracy would be the next best step. Though RS2 isn't fully Historical(they said it themselves) its more Historical then quite some other mods which is a good thing.

I think EB is a good example of Historical accuracy, its probably the most popular mod on RTW even though its completely Historical accurate as far as I know. Which kindoff prooves that Historical accuracy makes a good mod.

Mathais's Avatar Ordinarius

Hmm historical accuracy maybe I would rather see this become somthing different than the other mods in that reguard. I perfer to see the moders style put in to it as to say this is our mod. To stand out a little there is much that can be done with this mod. If you should go more over to the historical side I would do somthing that is correct but new to the TWC at the same time. I know what I said is easier said than done but give it try or at least think about it.

Well, what I will try to accomplish won't be to present a %100 Accurate game, because well, maybe that's not so fun. IMO, absolute gameplay should come before absolute historical accuracy. What I'm trying to accomplish is a mod that is not inaccurate, so it is still grounded in history and everything, but gameplay will be at the foreground.

Edit: Well guys, I've got plans for each roster, but sadly with no modeller I'm unable to put my plan of action forward for Macedon and Persia. We'll see how this plays out though.
    Last edited by Roman_Man#3; December 28, 2008 at 09:18 PM.

Phalanx300's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Well, EB has quite prooven that 100% Historical accuracy makes for great gameply which also teaches at the same time.

Well, everybody has different tastes for playing the game, but I don't particularly warm to EB's gameplay. It is a great mod with a lot of work put into it, just not my cup of tea if you will.

Spartan198's Avatar Protector Domesticus

My first impression is: This is what vanilla Alexander should have been. Even just the addition of a better, more detailed map does wonders in increasing the fun factor.

Anywho, my suggestions:

The city of Tyre is strangely absent, and we all know how important the siege of Tyre was during Alexander's campaign.

The lack of a Temple of Zeus is also somewhat noticable.

I also suggest making Thessalian Cavalry recruitable in Larissa.

Other notes so far:
    The battle flags for Persia are still the vanilla Parthian ones.

I also agree on the already mentioned subject of overhand hoplite animations for regular hoplites and hypaspists, and recruitable archers.

@Phalanx300
    I have to agree with RM3 on the subject of EB. They went waaaay overboard with a lot of things (such as ethnic naming of units and a million different sets of reforms for the Romans alone, among other things), which may as well be uber educational, but it also decreases some of the fun factor and playability (not to mention EB takes huge amounts of processing power to run, and not everybody has a system like Skynet or something to run it on), IMHO.

A few questions for RM3:

Will there be custom battle and historical battle modes in future patches?

Are there any plans to add more factions (and maybe making them playable in campaign?) in future patches? Sparta, Syracuse, Taras, and Epirus come to mind as candidates right off the top of my head.

Now, it's true the purpose of the campaign (at least when playing as Macedon) is to dismantle the Persian Empire rather than make peace with it, but are there any plans to put diplomats back in? They'd be useful when trying to avert war with the likes of the Thracians and Illyrians.

Are there going to be any changes to the troop rosterin the form of reskins or new units? I'd like to have a more diverse selection such as levy, regular, and elite hoplites, plalangites, and hypaspists.

And will there be an AoR system in future patches?

But, regardless, I'm loving MA. Awesome.

My first impression is: This is what vanilla Alexander should have been. Even just the addition of a better, more detailed map does wonders in increasing the fun factor.
    Thanks!

Anywho, my suggestions:

The city of Tyre is strangely absent, and we all know how important the siege of Tyre was during Alexander's campaign.
    I had plans to do a custom battlemap for this, but this got put on the back burner. The city just didn't make it into this version of the game, you can be sure to see it in later ones though.

The lack of a Temple of Zeus is also somewhat noticable.
    Noted

I also suggest making Thessalian Cavalry recruitable in Larissa.
    An AOR and better recruitment will be implemented for later versions, so this will be fixed.

Other notes so far:
    The battle flags for Persia are still the vanilla Parthian ones.
    Noted.

I also agree on the already mentioned subject of overhand hoplite animations for regular hoplites and hypaspists, and recruitable archers.
    When I revamp the unit rosters new animations will be put in place.

A few questions for RM3:

Will there be custom battle and historical battle modes in future patches?
    Definitely, I just hit a snag with custom battles and could not get them to load, and historical battles will be redone when the new rosters are complete.

Are there any plans to add more factions (and maybe making them playable in campaign?) in future patches? Sparta, Syracuse, Taras, and Epirus come to mind as candidates right off the top of my head.
    Possibly later, but not ATM.

Now, it's true the purpose of the campaign (at least when playing as Macedon) is to dismantle the Persian Empire rather than make peace with it, but are there any plans to put diplomats back in? They'd be useful when trying to avert war with the likes of the Thracians and Illyrians.
    I wasn't planning on adding diplomats back in, but if people really want them in I can add them. Thing is Alexander did go to war with the Thracians and Illyrians because they were threatening him, so this should be reflected in game.

Are there going to be any changes to the troop rosterin the form of reskins or new units? I'd like to have a more diverse selection such as levy, regular, and elite hoplites, plalangites, and hypaspists.

And will there be an AoR system in future patches?
    Both answered above.

But, regardless, I'm loving MA. Awesome.
    Thanks for the comments, this is how we improve the mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman_Man#3 View Post
    I wasn't planning on adding diplomats back in, but if people really want them in I can add them. Thing is Alexander did go to war with the Thracians and Illyrians because they were threatening him, so this should be reflected in game.
    They'd definitely be useful, even to make temporary peaces with rival factions just to acquire map info.

But if you decide not to, I would suggest giving the Macedonians a fair amount of terrain knowledge of the near east, at least in the western part of the Persian Empire. Wandering around without knowing which way to go is frustrating and having to toggle fog of war on and off to know said info is annoying. Besides, I doubt Alexander was oblivious to the terrain and locations of cities in the area.

Hey, Roman_Man, firstly congratulations on the beta release. I must confess that, when this project seemed dead, I thought of making an Alexander mod on my own. But now I see that it is in good hands.

That said, I have a suggestion for you: there is a unit pack made by Attilla Reloaded with new Persian and Macedonian units. Some of them look quite well and they are free to use, as long as you credit Attilla.

I guess that you are probably aware of the existence of this pack, but I thought that I would mention it, just in case.

Best of luck with the mod.

congratulation for the release . i read that there is the ROP map! ...awesome! ...:hmmm:there are also new units?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Willy View Post
    there are also new units?
    Not in this version. Same roster as vanilla Alexander.

New units are being done though.

Any ETA on an update or hotfix to address the turns-per-year thing and Sardis CTD?

Hopefully soon. I have to get the script in and running properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan198 View Post
    Not in this version. Same roster as vanilla Alexander.
    Great Thanks guys

What are the odds of the Spartans of 336 BC popping up?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast