Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: SPQR guide : How to survive the first fifteen turns.

Default Re: SPQR guide : How to survive the first fifteen turns.

Are you sure you're playing the SPQR mod?
    There's no Brutii in this mod

Brutii eh, must be some epic SPQR submod to do that :3
    Proud Reviewer of mods for medieval 2 and Rome Total war
    Been gaming since i could walk and beyond
    Check my Youtube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/necrontyr1800?feature=mhee

Is this guide viable for 8.0? Cause most of the time when I was trying, Hannibal or Theopanes just marches to Reghion and I have no chance of catching up with him to save the city.

Worked for me. If you cross the border with Quintus, Hannibal should attack you

I decided to Sticky this thread as too many people need help that are new and with SPQR 9.0 coming out many new people will play and not know what to do.
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

FIRST 45 TURNS WITH GREAT GREEK ARMY ! - VERY HARD [IMG] free image hosting[/IMG]
    PS : It's very hard to kill fu*king GREEN BASTARDS,but it's inevitable ! My advice is to conquer Europe first and then to the rest of the world,BUT KILL - EGYPTIANS,ELEPHANTS ARE GREAT ARMY AGAINST SPEARMANS OF EURO ARMIES !

Quote Originally Posted by cnvrs4 View Post
    FIRST 45 TURNS WITH GREAT GREEK ARMY ! - VERY HARD [IMG] free image hosting[/IMG]
    PS : It's very hard to kill fu*king GREEN BASTARDS,but it's inevitable ! My advice is to conquer Europe first and then to the rest of the world,BUT KILL - EGYPTIANS,ELEPHANTS ARE GREAT ARMY AGAINST SPEARMANS OF EURO ARMIES !
    I can't even imagine the grinding of armies... The game is completely unbalanced that way

that's because they are NOT Armies but Small groups like Legions. Hence when the Romans fought they Fought an Army of 100k with their 3 legions. Game is balanced but the RTW engine doesn't allow the battles to play out right. You are too use to the 1 turn system which each ARMY is an ARMY in SPQR it's just a Legion of 5000 men.
    Lt_1956
    Creator of SPQR:Total War mod since 2004

Saspio's Avatar Tiro

I just installed and played after 5 years. I got raped by Hannibal with clear defeat, so I am rethinking what I am doing wrong. I used to be good at this game, but those elephants are not falling when velites shower them as they used to and now they are completely "tanking" my flanks.

EDIT:

Ok took me 3 tries to wipe out Carthage from Italia. I pushed Gauls back and tried to hold the bridges, so I could focus on the islands. But a suprise, the riverbank (where you can cross the river, but there is no bridge/road) is not a bridge map no more. I waited gauls with an army made mostly of velites and slingers and when Gauls attacked the battle map took place in the middle of the forrest. I got massacred again.

EDIT2

I want to thank Lt_1956 for supplying this wonderfull mod that has been (and will be) with me for many years. May the gods look after you
    Last edited by Saspio; May 27, 2014 at 11:43 AM.

----------------------------
    Age quod agis
    ----------------------------

I too started a new campaign with this Mod and I'm having an absolute blast. I think I'm enjoying it more now with the experience I have from playing other TW games, but more so because I'm older and wiser

I somewhat mirrored the 15 step Guide the OP suggested and it has been successful thus far. I definitely appreciate the tactical level this mod demands.
    Playing on H/H difficulty my first encounter with Hannibal (and subsequently last, as I was able to kill the great Carthaginian! (winning )) earned me a heroic victory... call me noob, but I'm not entirely sure how I can upload my screen shot... lol.

My Battle formation was near exact to Hesus's; the exception being my cavalry were positioned on the extreme flanks of the main body; the aim was to entice the Carthaginian Cav/Elephants away from the line of battle - while my cavalry took evasive action, a unit of Triarii and of Principe would catch them in pursuit and pin them, freeing my cavalry units to spearhead the rear, whilst the Velites took care of the Elephants. As predicted a reserve unit of infantry (as well as the Elephants) rushed in to support the pinned cavalry but were stopped en-route when caught by my Principes.
    The result was as fantastic as it was expected: minimal losses to my Cavalry as the Triarii took the brunt of the charge; the Principe had engaged the supporting infantry meaning two infantry units less on their main battle line; The elephants, being held up by the Principes, were dead in minutes thanks to the velites and slingers.

Then as expected the main battle line was engaged and now it was simply a matter of keeping an eye out for weak-points, manoeuvres, and harassing their missile units - though I did not expect them to put up a fight; this underestimation cost me half a unit of Equites.
    In time, gap opened up on the left flank, Hannibal charged in and was met by my Triarii reserves who were able to pin him long enough for my General to manoeuvre behind him and charge his right. Hannibal was dead; the right flank was putting up a hell of a fight, but were wavering; my left flank had over come the enemy and routed them (I suspect because they were in close proximity to Hannibal being killed...), freeing them to roll up towards the right and methodically slaughter each enemy infantry unit along the way. Within minutes of this happening, what was left of Hannibals army the battle was over and I could breathe lol.

Result: Heroic Victory
    Deployed: 3053, Remaining: 1777 - Quintus
    Deployed: 4057, Remaining: 210 - Hannibal (KIA)

Very tough battle, but a great way to refresh one's mind. My thanks to lt1956 for a great Mod and to Hesus for a great guide

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112