Thread: AAR- Longbows, UP! -England AAR-

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

Default AAR- Longbows, UP! -England AAR-

Longbows, UP!
    Chapter I: Irish Trouble

This is Written and painted to remember the holy deeds of William of normandy, King of England, And his Succesors.

When the Conquest of Scotland and Wales was complete, the veteran army of the King of England Marched to Ireland.
    a captain called "fraps" has painted all these battles to remember every brave deed done.

The tactic used against the Scots and Walish was a simple but effective one,
    1. Spot an army
    2. Take defensive positions on a hill, even if it is a small slope
    3. Place archers in front, Norman-Men-At-Arms behind them, and Saxon Fyrdmen behind THEM, who are ordered to storm the front line once the melee hits.

In the english army were 420 Saxon Fyrdmen, 280 Norman Soldiers and 200 Welsh longbowmen, as well as the Knights of The King, his Heir and some Norman Riders.

When the army Aproached Dublin, they were spotted by a 1200 men large Irish Army, consisting of Kernnabal, Lewneaght and Archers.

1200 bad moraled men versus the 950 veterans of the king...the battle of Dublin Begins...

The English take up a Defending Position on the hill.

As soon as The English had taken up their positions, with cavalry on the flanks, the irish reinforcements from Dublin arrived (reinforcing the Irish, not the english)
    The cavalry at the flanks were ordered to charge those reinforcements, for they consisted only of 1 group of feudal knights.

The English Knights attack the Irish Reinforcements at the Flanks

On the moment the Irish Heavy Infantry hit the Shield wall of the Normans, and The Saxon Fyrdmen Charged into th fight.
    Suddenly, the Knights of the Crown Heir, wich had been hiding in a forest half a mile away, charged into the back of the Irish army witch consisted almost only of weak ranged troops.
    The were routed in less then 1 minute.
    The heavy infantry on the other hand, were thougher and they only routed when the King and the Norman riders returned form the flanks (the enemy reinforcements had been cut-down)

The Heavy infantry are finally routed

The English Bowmen shoot down some routing spearmen

The battle was a clear victory.
    only 64 losses at the English side, wich made 200 losses in the whole veteran army since it was created, while 6 whole Irish and Scottish armies were routed and destroyed.
    In the following 6 months, Dublin was taken and in those same months, the irish had been completely wiped out because of a fast conquest of their cities.

(note: i'm playing this campaign right now, so i don't know what will happen...but i am planning to get my veteran army on a crusade, so chapter 2 will be about that crusade)

i hope you all liked it, because i really enjoy writing this
    Last edited by Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze; December 18, 2008 at 11:27 AM. Reason: added some troop numbers and a humoristic captain called fraps

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

Default Re: AAR- Longbows, UP! -England AAR-

Very nice
    I'll add it soon to the stickied collection.
    Note, the current 0.98.x version isn't stable.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

i know, noticed it...ctd between turns and stuff...but i play it on Vista and that happened with Vanillaand XGM (the other mod i have installed) too at first, it mostly shifts away after some time...it's like my PC needs to get used to it =D

EDIT: tip, i have a ctd between turns mostly when i have loaded a autosave....if i load a manual save then it's all alright, as long as i don't load an autosave wich crashes...and save THAT as my real campaign, becuae if it crashes in 1088, i can reload that savegame whenever i want, it will then ALWYS crash in 1088....so i make alot of backups
    Last edited by Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze; December 18, 2008 at 03:44 AM. Reason: hint

Chapter II: The Invasion of France
    After the capture of Ireland William the Conqueror returned to London where he would die in 1086 AD.
    The Crusade, under lead of the new King Robert of Normandy sailed per ship and Captured malta...

With the 1st Crusade ending in the capture and loss of jerusalem (forcing the Templar Knights and the remnants of the crusading army to return to their base on Malta)and with the king at that Crusade, The Crown Heir decides to launch an attack on France.

The French have been playing a "i-am-master-you-are-slave" game on England for years, now's the time to get revenge.
    a fresh new army is brought from over the whole of England and Wales, designed for a specific type of warfare: the Bull3tpr00f-Defense. ()
    This type of warfare was used against the Scots and Irish with succes, and the whole Kingdom is now build on this warfare.
    The Holy Roman Empire, at this time, declared war on England and Blockaded all of its ports.
    A big depression occured; the treachurechests were completely empty.
    The invasion of France had to start NOW, before the whole Kingdom would come crashing down.
    And so it was that the army crossed the channel in 1110 AD, and it marched directly to Reims, the City of Kings (not the capital though)
    the garrison at Rouen was commanded to siege Paris, wich was poorly defended.
    In 6 months, both cities fell and were plundered.
    Now the economy of England was up and running again.
    When the army that had besieged Reims had been retrained, they marched against Poitiers.
    But suddenly a large bandit army ame from the forests. Luckily our scouts had reported this army so we were not taken be surprise.

The Fresh Army from England, Deployed in the Famed Bull3tpr00f-Defense

The English took up their normal Bull3tpr00f-Defense positions; Cavalry on the flanks, archers in front, Norman men-at-arms in the melee line, and fyrdmen and huscarls behind those to storm the enemy front once it hits melee.
    The fight progressed as normal, only this time the enemy was more disciplined, for it had no weak infantry like kernnabal...but Feudal Sergeants and even some Knights and Crossbowmen.
    The bowmen caused casualties at the enemy, the melee line hit, the cavalry flanked and the fyrdmen-huscarl line charged into the fight.

The melee is well on its way.

once the bandit melee line had started to rout, the norman soldiers pursuid them, but the enemy hadn't fully routed yet, and some enemy spearmen even accomplished surrounding a fyrdmen warband.
    bt luckily the other soldiers, who had swarmed all over the field pusouing enemies, were close and quickly came to help.

Normans come to help the fyrdmen

After this, the enemy was fully routed and the army, wich did now think of the old army of William (wich had been almost completely destroyed in the crusade), marhced on.

Meanwhile, near Paris...the Dauphin (French crown Heir) was spotted.
    3 Vassals of the king immideatly pursuid him.
    They finally got into him and surrounded him and his whole bodyguard.
    the bodyguard was massacared and the Dauphin was struck by then knights at the same time!

The Dauphin is Slain...

And so ends the life of the Dauphin....France has been weakened and within 2 years, its remaining 2 cities fell, and England claimed every land between England and The Mediterranean coast between italy and Spain theirs.
    NOW, England can turn it's attention to the Holy Land
    Last edited by Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze; December 18, 2008 at 11:30 AM.

Libertus

why don't you post your screen with bigger resolution ?

Anyway i think my suggestion was good ^^

i thought they would be too big...but i can make em bigger if you want

Libertus

reading your AAR i was conquered by an emotion that makes me more ''english'' and i started a campaign with them

I'm playing on Medium / Medium and i'm conquering the england.... I saw you use a lot archers but they don't seem so good to me, well they finish incredibilly quick arrows and become unuseful... i prefer the mercenaries' ones, those are really more ''equipped'' with arrows and more powerful...

Patrician Artifex

"Bandits" have a name, they are all part of the independent factions (slave factions) with their own unique regional name.

Only uprising rebellions provide a sort of bandits.

It would add to the storytelling style, if you use the correct names.

Your AAR is added to the sticked AAR-thread.
    Last edited by DaVinci; December 18, 2008 at 08:18 PM.
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Quote Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
    "Bandits" have a name, they are all part of the independent factions (slave factions) with their own unique regional name.

Only uprising rebellions provide a sort of bandits.

It would add to the storytelling style, if you use the correct names.

Your AAR is added to the sticked AAR-thread.

i know, but their name kindof suggested that they were bandits (something with provence...) and in the Hundred years 'war (alright, that was a little later but still ) there were many mercenary/bandit armies plundering the countryside because of the chaos the English made.
    So, i could say that these are those bandits, because it doesn't matters when i invade, the chaos will always make those bandit armies!

alright, i may use a little too mucjh imagination, but you can't tell me that a full stack army are freed slaves, these men were proffesionals...plundering mercenaries ;D

Patrician Artifex

but you can't tell me that a full stack army are freed slaves
    I didn't say 'slaves' ... the slave faction-slot (=independent factions) provides regional powers with unique names of noble houses, this is what i meant.
    In this mod don't exist freed slaves.

Perhaps look what the mouse-over tells you of the grey-coloured settlements

I didn't say 'slaves' ... the slave faction-slot (=independent factions) provides regional powers with unique names of noble houses, this is what i meant.
    In this mod don't exist freed slaves.

Perhaps look what the mouse-over tells you of the grey-coloured settlements
    lol, how did you think i knew of the scottish and irish...i know you ment the slave faction, it was just some kind of example.

what i mean is that it was that army was'nt there in one turn, and then it was (in a region the was under MY control)
    so to make it short....it were just bandits

Patrician Artifex

Ok ... if they have no 'faction'-name, then they are the peasant-rebellion/uprisings

Ok ... if they have no 'faction'-name, then they are the peasant-rebellion/uprisings

finally, lol (and since i'm evil, i call everyone who does not accept my rule a bandit )

Chapter III:
    A Lost Story

The current year is 1100 After Bulletpr00f (Shortened as A.B.) , which could be called 2100 A.D. in the old counting.
    Scientist in the capital of the Empire, Bull3tpr00finople, have found passages in the history books that were not revealed before. They reveal that England didn't conquer France and Ireland in 1080 A.D.
    It Reveals that England wasn't as strong as those bribed historians told us it was. In fact, England only had influence in Wales, Scotland, Normandy and Bretagne.
    This...is what the history books reveal:

"Our lord, William of Normandy ordered his son, Robert, in 1080 that the independent land of Bretagne had to be conquered for the good of England.
    Because of the raids on Normandy lately, lord Robert already had a force of 900 Norman Cavalry, supported with Mercenary Hobilars and Knights.
    This army managed to besiege the largest fortress in Bretagne, and it was taken within 6 years without a fight.
    After this, Robert and the main contingent returned to Normandy.
    But treachery struck on England, because France...The country of which William was vassal and the country he hated most, attacked the newly conquered territory.
    1 year passed, and still the siege was not released!
    However, forward English scouts reported that the army of the French consisted of Levy infantry and a few Feudal Sergeants.
    Robert knew the French tactics; they would set up their infantry in organised lines and attempt an all out charge...but this would not be possible with those levies.
    Also, Robert knew that if a few units would rout...the whole Army would follow.
    And so the cavalry-army was set to go to Bretagne...to release the siege and then attack the heart of France....
    (next chapter: The Battles of Bretagne)

author's note
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I decided to finish this AAR just for the fun of it.
    (it's not finished yet)
    I admit, I like what-if scenarios.
    Actually, I like everything that is either fully Historical or fully made-up.
    I chose the latter.
    My friends tend to joke how "I will take over the world etc. etc. , I made a nice little "easter egg" on that
    I think it's kinda fun to have a sci-fi AAR