Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: XAI 3.4 For KGCM coming soon !

Libertus

Default Re: Beta 2: Kingdoms Grand Campaign Mod (KGCM) Fans! Now with XAI

Quote Originally Posted by xeryx View Post
    Hi there PDP, Maybe you can explain what you don't like about the vassals. Is it that they are being hard to obtain? It probably has more to do with the diplomatic points than anything. I will look into it. Naval invasions, is due to DA, not the XAI, I am sure Naimad knows this, and may fix it.
    Oh, I should explain better. My observations were about KGCM, not Darth Ages (I'm currently playing my first DA game, and I've no sufficient experience about it).

I believe that Dave Scarface's KGCM mod is excellent, and it's the only mod I've played in last 6-8 months. What I'm expecting, from XAI put into KGCM, is a further more intelligent game:

- easier vassals: it's annoying when you have a faction down to its last legs and it simply refuses to admit it has been defeated. And I think that the Protector should be penalized if it doesn't protect his Vassal from other States and Rebels; example: high rebellion rate in all cities/castles of the Vassal, more Rebels on the map, no revenues from the Vassal state.

- Naval invasions: I would like that XAI into KGCM have a more frequent use of surprise naval invasions in the rear lines of territories, mine included. Actually mainly Moors and Sicily use naval invasions; I wish that all other nations could use them, just to keep some fear for my back...

- Alliances: in KGCM they are always solid as a rock. Perhaps XAI could add some random betraying from an ally, to add some pepper...

- Another thing I've never seen in the Mod is Rebels sieging towns or attacking passing troops. They're too much passive.

I hope that your XAI could further improve an excellent mod like KGCM.
    Thank you.

xeryx's Avatar Follow the White Rabbit

@PDP
    On the next beta i will institute them again, as they are currently disabled.
    We'll take the vassals a step at a time, I will see if we can get them working better, and more frequent. But I am going to put in a random factor so that I can control how often it happens. Like anything else in the game, balance must be maintained. But first I have to get them happening more. Then we need to closely observe them, only time will tell, where we take it.

Naval invasions, are like trying to control a hurricane..let me tell you. For now you will have to be happy with the way it is, because it makes sense the way it works, and everything works!. What makes this difficult to control is lack of definement of the ocean "borders", and lack of controlling commands for naval invasion.

GLOBAL Standings are very important, if you are reliable, then they aren't going to backstab you. Alliances, can be broken, the game now accounts for your actions so much more. If a faction is good they should be rewarded. I will think on it though, to see if there is a way we can "shake" relations occasionally. Try breaking an alliance, and see how that affects your reputation, then try making some deals in diplomacy! If it gets too bad, not only will you be a likely target for attack, but no one will touch you, diplomatically, with a ten foot pole. Now as far as AI to AI, when they break alliances for war and stuff, it affects them the same way. I know Niamad has rules for those kind of things. That is his file and he undersatands it the best.
    Last edited by xeryx; December 29, 2008 at 10:54 AM.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

Here is a quick report on beta 2, I shall discuss the BAI a little.

8 turns in and I am unable to get a ceasefire with Poland. So I send an army led by Ehrart von Madgeburg to take Poznan. Forgeting that this had a garrison script the defenders raised an army. Worse was to follow though next turn when a reinforcement army arrived to relieve the defenders.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It was the first time in the new campaign that I had come up against greater odds. And also the time to test the real metal of this BAI! However I still felt I could pull off a win if this BAI was a push over. At the start of battle I decided to position my men back on a hill and let them come under my missile fire. Meanwhile my cavalry were positioned very wide of my main line and would try to encircle the enemy and rout it before meeting the second army.

start of battle

The enemy moved up and the two armies clashed. However on both sides I was never allowed to outflank with my mailed knights. It was left to my teutonic Knights to deal the fatal blow. They managed to charge into the enemies rear but failed to break them.

The battle was in the balance but the enemies reinforcements were getting ever closer. Seeing that my right was wavering, I decided to call up my generals bodyguard to save the situation. The AI though seeing this move sent over some dismounted polish knights. I was amazed, it seemed like the AI met my every move when I attempted to bring cavalry against them. The situation now looked hopeless and I decided to wave the white flag and save as many men as I could

Although out numbered, I did think that I could at least have inflicted more casualties on the enemy. And I even wondered afterwards whether I would have even managed to beat the first polish army? had those reinforcements not arrived? What this BAI does brilliantly is recognise the importance of not only defending the flanks, but also attacking around them as well.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Scarface; December 28, 2008 at 06:30 PM.

Hey Dave, I haven't used a garrison script in a long time, so I am sure it will get me too..since you never get to play!! (like me)

The BAI, will in most cases, be able to inflict a 1 to 1 casualty rate, so be aware of that. You did the smart thing to flee, there is no shame in that at all. It is always better live, and fight another day.

I bet that you are excited to see your final mod, kicking butt. That's alot of work you have done to this mod, and trust me we are making as minimal of changes as possible.

But I think England and Scotland are in a bit of a tight spot.

SUNDAY, JFYI I have spent about 4 hours playing and about 6 hours coding. I believe we have achieved a great balance needed in the CAI. I have also re-enabled the Vassalage system for testing. So beta 3 is well on its way. Now I need to iron out the levels for diplomacy, for the AI. You would really be amazed at how these levels really do affect the game. ( I am also in trouble with my girlfriend.LOL)

BATTLES: I must say, I just had one of the best nearly equal battles! I have ever had. Venice and their cavalry really tried to wipe out my cavalry, it was really cool.
    The 4 main groups of nights for Venice were on my left flank, so put my cav on the left flank. The Battle Group, did not come straight on, but did some repositioning to my right flank. I was taking a defensive position, since I had hills and forest to my advantage. I put all 4 crossbow unit on the hill with superior positioning. So Venice took some arrow abuse to their Cav, and it must have made it mad!! because they took all their cav, and swept behind their lines to my right flank and were well on their way to flanking my right flank. I however matched it and took the line of spear man to their line, while the cavalry engaged, theirs. I managed to keep them tied up and killed the majority of them. THANK goodness!! Meanwhile, the crossbowman gave me the edge I needed to have better numbers. In the end, I did not chase them down, but they took 600 out of 1200 and I took 400 out of 1150. So it was a really close battle that could have went either way, it boiled down to me keeping the Cavalry tied up, and ineffective. And keeping the pressure from the crossbowmen on them.

Side note: Excellent mix of troops BTW Dave, you did a superb job of balancing the productions of troops!! All battles so far, have seen a good mix of troops. Haven't seen any real siege equipment yet.

Even my tiny little besiegement by the Moors did hurt me good, and killed my prince!! For that I will not forgive, But I will probably lose that Island, because Venice wants to tango! The moors naval invaded this island 4 turns in a row, so they really want those 2 silver mines!! I may have to start playing on half speed!! or lower the level, I'm getting too old for the "quicky clicky" game.

Dave, we're going to Darth the cavalry, and give them some more penetration power, maybe about 10-15% The impetuous traits do need to be removed, from such finely trained units.(Miikll I will need that mount file, and EDU please, email it to me)

Spearmen, seem to be having some charging cohesion problems, I need to tighten them up.
    Dave you really need to try a siege, defending or attacking..they are pretty dang cool!
    Last edited by xeryx; December 29, 2008 at 08:24 PM.
    Proudly patronized by B. Ward Click Sig Logo for Downloads, Click forums here and here
    "Do not try and bend the spoon, that is impossible, instead only try and realize the truth.
    There is no spoon, and you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, only yourself."-The Matrix

place holder
    Last edited by xeryx; December 29, 2008 at 10:08 PM.

Alright, so I've been playing beta 2 for a bit and these are some ramblings-

XAI for KGCM, Beta 2

Faction: Hungary
    Difficulty : VH/VH

Turns 1-15 were a mixed bag.

I have never played Hungary before, but it seemed like a good idea to crank out a few units, blitz the hre to the west and the rebels to the south, and then consolidate and expand. (In retrospect, not a good idea.)

By turn 7 I had snatched the HRE's Vienna, and the rebel cities of Belgrade, Sofia, and Preslav. I expected to bring the full wrath of the HRE down upon me for taking Vienna, but there were no reprisals. From turn 7- to turn 18, the only thing that happened was Venice seiged vienna with a small army, then left after two turns.
    I watched (with fog of war off) as all these wars raged around me, yet no one seemed to pay any mind to my presence. The HRE wasnt even garrisoning cities that bordered Vienna. It seemed as if I could just take a few men and waltz through thier entire nation.

On turn 18, a switch flipped. I know there is no logical explantion in the code for this, but I have often felt that some mods take a few turns to begin working. KGCM seemed to come alive on about turn 6, and Lands to Conquer took about 10 or twelve. This, though, is probably just me being crazy.

I feel bad to admit that until turn 18, I was writing beta 2 off as somewhat flawed. On turn 18, I got what was coming to me for thinking such thoughts. The Mongols declared war on me by rather uselessly blockading my one port. The Byzantines declared war on me by seiging Preslav and Sofia, both of which I lost on turn 19. The HRE must have decided I was worth the effort, as our shared borders are now massively garrisoned, and right now, on turn 22, venice and the hre have about 5 full stacks between them, just waiting there ominously between Vienna and Zagreb

Obeservations on the AI's interaction with each other.

One thing I have noticed over test 1 and 2 is that there is a certian degree of sophistication in the way the AI deals with one another. Wars are fought meaningfully, alliances seem to encourage combined operations, and ceasefires seem to follow a logical pattern. The AI is certianly aggressive, but war is really your only option in Total War, and the AI does not seem to be making war self-destructively and willy nilly, ala vanilla.

(got interrupted, will write more later.)
    Last edited by RantingHeretic; December 29, 2008 at 11:31 PM. Reason: adding more

At RantingHeratic,
    It isn't until the faction standings file gets a few turns to work, and get all the standings stabilized between all the factions. Once you get past that dreaded zero area, things can really get hopping fast.

The only way to really avoid this is make sure all factions start at -1.0 or 1.0 (or .1 or -.1 in the factions standing file) in the start of the game. As a rule I avoid multiplication, when zero is involved..but hey that is me.
    Last edited by xeryx; December 29, 2008 at 11:29 PM.

helmersen's Avatar Praepositus

Yes, I think it should be slightly more easier to get vassals.. Great reports everyone!
    Interested in how Attila and the new LONGBEARDS DLC plays?

Check out my Total War Attila: Jutes Let's Play: http://youtu.be/rFyxh4mj1pQ
    Check out my Total War Attila: The Langobards Let's Play: http://youtu.be/lMiHXVvVbCE
    Total War: Attila with ERE vs Sassanids GEM at max settings:
    http://youtu.be/jFYENvVpwIs
    Total War: Rome II Medieval Kingdoms Mod Gameplay: http://youtu.be/qrqGUYaLVzk

I have never played Hungary before, but it seemed like a good idea to crank out a few units, blitz the hre to the west and the rebels to the south, and then consolidate and expand. (In retrospect, not a good idea.)

By turn 7 I had snatched the HRE's Vienna, and the rebel cities of Belgrade, Sofia, and Preslav. I expected to bring the full wrath of the HRE down upon me for taking Vienna, but there were no reprisals. From turn 7- to turn 18, the only thing that happened was Venice seiged vienna with a small army, then left after two turns.
    I watched (with fog of war off) as all these wars raged around me, yet no one seemed to pay any mind to my presence. The HRE wasnt even garrisoning cities that bordered Vienna. It seemed as if I could just take a few men and waltz through thier entire nation.
    I have observed that with the way the campaign is currently setup, HRE will be at war with both Denmark and Poland at the start. I believe this is also part down to the starting faction standings and faction relationships. I think I will try and optimise these settings for use with XCAI. As the current settings were setup alongside Lusteds CAI to improve its performance. If I can manage it, I would like to avoid their being too many wars breaking out at the start. As your valuable feedback demonstrates, if the AI is at war on too many fronts it will be unable to defend itself for a time. I also think it is not preferable for any one faction to ever be at war with 2 or more factions at one time, unless it has alliances. When conditions are right, as shown in your example (from turn 18) the CAI is capable of fighting back. However it is very important that the AI does not allow its postion to become weakened to begin with. This is what we need to try and prevent, so that it is able to defend as well as attack. Some improvements in the CAI may also need to be made.

The AI is certianly aggressive, but war is really your only option in Total War, and the AI does not seem to be making war self-destructively and willy nilly, ala vanilla.
    The CAI is still a little to aggressive I think in beta 2. This means that I am forced to fight far to many siege battles at the start. For example playing England with XCAI, Caen, Dublin and York are under siege every single turn. No sooner are the attackers repulsed than smaller armies arrive to begin the siege again. This is more of an annoyance than anything else. Because I am easily able to defeat these under strength armies. Personally I would like to see the XCAI build up its forces more before it attacks the target. Less frequent attacks would also result in bigger more epic battles.

Anyway I just want to add some more positive feedback on the BAI. I am really pleased with its performance so far. And there is no doubt that I am suffering a higher casualty rate than the BAI currently used in KGCM. I put this down to the work of the XAI team. Because of the total conversion we are seeing XAI mod performing at its best! And I have also no experience of bugs so far in beta 2. Overall I am very impressed with the battles. I think we still have some more work to do on the CAI. But I am sure we can improve it still further.

Dave, we're going to Darth the cavalry, and give them some more penetration power, maybe about 10-15% The impetuous traits do need to be removed, from such finely trained units.(Miikll I will need that mount file, and EDU please, email it to me
    I agree with these proposed cavalry changes, please someone send me the updated EDU when done.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Scarface; December 30, 2008 at 08:28 AM.

I have observed that with the way the campaign is currently setup, HRE will be at war with both Denmark and Poland at the start. I believe this is also part down to the starting faction standings and faction relationships. I think I will try and optimise these settings for use with XCAI. As the current settings were setup alongside Lusteds CAI to improve its performance. If I can manage it, I would like to avoid their being too many wars breaking out at the start. As your valuable feedback demonstrates, if the AI is at war on too many fronts it will be unable to defend itself for a time. I also think it is not preferable for any one faction to ever be at war with 2 or more factions at one time, unless it has alliances. When conditions are right, as shown in your example (from turn 18) the CAI is capable of fighting back. However it is very important that the AI does not allow its postion to become weakened to begin with. This is what we need to try and prevent, so that it is able to defend as well as attack. Some improvements in the CAI may also need to be made.
    Yes, I fully agree with this statement. We, can really tone down the factions Starting FS (wars specifically) for Beta 3. The AI knows, and has provisions for not wanting any more than 2 opponents. I also am going to check the rules today..just to make sure all the bases are covered for that. Dave being the mod maker, gets to see the big picture as well, probably even beyond what I look at. I am also open to changes as well.

The CAI is still a little to aggressive I think in beta 2. This means that I am forced to fight far to many siege battles at the start. For example playing England with XCAI, Caen, Dublin and York are under siege every single turn. No sooner are the attackers repulsed than smaller armies arrive to begin the siege again. This is more of an annoyance than anything else. Because I am easily able to defeat these under strength armies. Personally I would like to see the XCAI build up its forces more before it attacks the target. Less frequent attacks would also result in bigger more epic battles.
    Back again to the starting faction standings, also there is a minor adjustment in the XCAI, that has been resolved for beta 3. Once we gt all these files together, I think we will get beta 3 out. I feel as though we have identified many of the starting problems.This this is exactly why, I do not feel there is any such thing as a "Plug and Play" when it comes to CAI.Just too many variables.

Anyway I just want to add some more positive feedback on the BAI. I am really pleased with its performance so far. And there is no doubt that I am suffering a higher casualty rate than the BAI currently used in KGCM. I put this down to the work of the XAI team. Because of the total conversion we are seeing XAI mod performing at its best! And I have also no experience of bugs so far in beta 2. Overall I am very impressed with the battles. I think we still have some more work to do on the CAI. But I am sure we can improve it still further.
    Yes, agreed I am also happy with the XBAI overall, just a few minor tweaks are needed. I also am working on the siege ladders, I don't like the units all scrunched together, but soldier spacing does play a role in that if I remember right. I made changes to these once, but lost the changes. So I need to do it again.

The CAI is better/smarter in beta 3, so we will let the testing bring out any of the weaknesses. Then we can see if we can improve that. It's just amatter of getting the Balance first, especially at the start of the game.

I agree with these proposed cavalry changes, please someone send me the updated EDU when done.
    Dave
    Were should we send them? PM me on that.

Sieges: XAI does not waist troops, on using more troops than needed. However, one thing that does need fixed is the smaller stacks that do attack, usually first. Many times I have seen that, another unit is on the way to merge with that stack. But the problem is obvious, the human or even the AI can sally and defeat them. That, issue I would definitely like to fix. I do not feel the need to use 2 stacks for most sieges, as that stack can be used better elsewhere in most cases. Thank goodness, for the new autoresolve rules, I wish I would have seen them 8 months ago!! They seem to work much better. Those were originally included with the "America's" campaign, and why they were not included in the others, who knows. You had a huge find there, Dave

Also on Vassals, they are enabled for beta 3. Those we are going to take a step at a time.

Again, Thank you guys for participating in the Beta!! With this great feedback, we should make some great progress.
    Last edited by xeryx; December 30, 2008 at 12:35 PM.

This this is exactly why, I do not feel there is any such thing as a "Plug and Play" when it comes to CAI.Just too many variables.
    I know we are only able to achieve so much at once modding the CAI. And it is never easy to make an AI which can always both defend and attack well. Forgive me, I should try to remember this more, keep up the great work!!

Back again to the starting faction standings, also there is a minor adjustment in the XCAI, that has been resolved for beta 3. Once we gt all these files together, I think we will get beta 3 out.
    Please give me to the weekend to tweak the starting faction standings and relationships. I can attach the descr_strat.txt here for you in this thread when ready if you like.

Were should we send them? PM me on that.
    This thread will do nicely.

Again, Thank you guys for participating in the Beta!! With this great feedback, we should make some great progress.
    Yeah thanks to RantingHeretic and everyone else who has posted here. Its a real shame though that more people haven't gave feedback. Because the more people that help test this the better it will be!

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Scarface; December 30, 2008 at 12:19 PM.

Dave feel free to give it a shot at the starting faction standings and long term too! I only tried to maintain the existing setup, with toned down settings. For one I did not want to change things drastically, because I did not know if you had specific reasons for setting them the way you had them.

Use the starting FS for just that. To have starting wars, and Allies. The rest I would leave out. Then if there maybe a touchy situation, set it up with the starting FS with a -.2, then use the Long term rules in the Faction standings file to develop those major relationships. That is where the historical factors come in. Remember religion is already accounted for in the CAI. If there are two nations that seem to have always hated each other.

We'll use HRE and Poland as an example, our goal is to have them start @war with Poland and have more war with them. It can be broken up or constant, we just like war. The actions of the factions, will now decide where it goes.

For example.
    The HRE Start them @war with Poland a Starting FS of -.6 is all that is needed.

Then use the Faction standings file (at the end of the file) to set that up. Do not set the value to a 1.0 or a -1.0 instead put it on the brink of war. Use like a -.35 to -.45 as a value. No matter what the Faction standing is, it will always gravitate towards the -.35 to -.45.

Do you see where I am going with this? This is a very powerful tool. Especially since Niamad's FS file now has rules for all vanilla religions, not just Catholics, and Papal. It also has tons of re-written, and added rules.

BTW, so you know Dave, I have found that there is a check sum in the save games, for the CAI. However, I have been able to get away with changing values, without restarting campaigns! Please refer in depth Faction Standings questions to Niamad, as I am just learning that file.

ALSO VERY IMPORTANT: TRUST the Numbers you use, even if the campaign acts different! This is why.. The CAI affects the way diplomacy is percieved, and I get better results balancing it in the CAI. It is also MUCH easier.

Using the thread is fine for files.

I think you will find that once those levels (FS) are adjusted, the aggressiveness of the XAI, will be more to your liking.

Maybe they haven't given the feedback yet, because they are having too much fun!! LOL
    Seriously though, any other posters of Beta testing, please follow the formats posted above.
    Last edited by xeryx; December 30, 2008 at 02:22 PM.

So I'm going on vacation for an 'unknown' amount of time..., and so, wont be able to test anything for a while or any of that. But I was able to play for a bit today and I'm gonna try to collect my thoughts.

BETA 2
    BAI
    We'll start with this because its so awesome. I have been dabbling with a few others mods while I've been testing this to compare- while it can be hard to see noticeable differences without doing really rigorous testing and filming replays and all that, It's undoubtedly smarter, and I am losing more men per battle and losing battles that on vanilla would have gone to me no problem.

I could gush about it for hours, but that's not very constructive- instead I'll talk about the few and very inconsequential problems.

Seige Pathfinding: This has always been a problem with Total War. XAI seems to fix most of it, but problems still occasionally pop up.

(i have been interrupted and will finish this later tonight.)

Hi Xeryx,i started today a campaign KGCM vh/vh with Jerusalem my first impressions are good ,very goood mix armies, ai agressive, i just dont like the bonus they recive when we or they siege a capital, its not loyal and its not good for the ai expansion, your xai dont need this cheats to be harder ,one more thing i could make a crusade in the first 2 turns, its better for the pope to dont acept crusades in the first 15 turns to give the ai a opurtunaty to create good defences ,plz if you can tell me to turn of cheatings in script file i apreciate thanks.Exelent work thanks .

Hi Xeryx,i started today a campaign KGCM vh/vh with Jerusalem my first impressions are good ,very goood mix armies, ai agressive, i just dont like the bonus they recive when we or they siege a capital, its not loyal and its not good for the ai expansion
    You have to be able to see the bigger picture here. In a campaign with 0.5 turns per year, and a campaign that lasts 320 years, would you prefer to see most smaller factions destroyed early on in the campaign? massive land grabs? or an AI that leaves no units defending its most valuable settlements?

your xai dont need this cheats to be harder
    Yes it does, because if the AI is not capable of protecting its own settlements then these battles will be easily won. Which is certainly not what this mod is about.

plz if you can tell me to turn of cheatings in script file i apreciate thanks.
    If you prefer to play a much easier campaign with less challenge then grab the no garrison script in post 2 at this link. There is nothing wrong with the AI getting a garrison script. Call it a cheat if you like, but since the AI cannot defend itself, it must be helped in order for this mod to be challenging. Our aim is for siege battles to be like the massive under takings they were in real history. Not a simple victorious walk through the gates as some of you prefer, thank you.

Dave

I am pretty sure we have most of the files together for beta 3.

I will post the EDU for Dave, now. Dave if you are going to make anymore changes to the standings, go ahead. then post it here. I'm not sure if this will be the final edu changes or not yet.

Miikll Is handling most of the changes to the units and such, I am running tests of his changes, and working on other things. Cavalry Changes are on hold ATM. Too much to do.

Well, does the garrison script cost the AI appropriate funds?
    If not, that would be the way to "balance" it for those who don't like the AI cheating - just make them pay for 'em (unit cost + approximate upkeep), going into debt if necessary.

I think that would work much better than removing the script entirely.

The main reason, I don't have issues with the script, is because it doesn't do it with every city, only key ones. Also the aggressiveness of the AI, I have seen it keep going after the same city. If I can get the AI to use bigger stacks, overall like 150% instead of the now 125% more than likely the garrisons will not be an issue for the AI. And from what I saw of the script, it doesn't look overpowered. But that was just glancing at it. However, it is really a moot point to argue about it, because Dave have a no garrison script alternative.
    Last edited by xeryx; January 01, 2009 at 11:03 PM.

THARN's Avatar Senator

You guys are very smart fellows thanks for all the hard work and ideas.... Ive just spent 40 minutes reading these campaign notes you've made instead of testing the new ai- Thats how much I love this time period and the strategies involved,.
    I shall now go and give this beta a run... only on H/H though.. vh/vh is just crazy..
    trading in my exciting Milan campaign for a new one-

Hi Dave, thanks for the link .I respect your opinion but with Xai, you dont conquer capital citys whith small garrisons any more the ai is much harder thanks to Xeryx now .I never lost a campaign and i would love to lose,but i would like very much to see the ai wining games with out so much help and i have faith on Xeryx to make this happen, he made things that we all thouht it was inpossible .Dave you have a very good mood here ,very good mix of units the best i have seen so far,and a very cool campaign with all the factions of kingdoms so congratulations.Plz dont tell i like to play easy campaigns becouse you dont nouw me, and you are wrong about that thanks.
    Last edited by Hunter_PT; January 01, 2009 at 07:04 PM.