Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Clarus/Caelinus

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Clarus/Caelinus

So, this is what it has come to.

We wait. We wait for Carthage to muster her forces. We wait for the Punics to come knocking on our doors.

well, well Clarus, for someone with your Cognomen, you sure betray it. Did you not hear what I just said? To press our attack and raze Carthage. Perhaps you were so absorbed with what I have said earlier about the Gauls in response to Caelinus that your ears have failed to hear what they ought.

I will say again, raise another legion and send it to Africa. Carthage must be destroyed. I hear it in your voices, I see it in your eyes. Yet I do not perceive it in your actions.

Crusades
    Historical fiction - Fifty Tales from Rome

Can YOU dance like the Cookie Man?
    Improbe amor quid non mortalia pectora cogis? - The Aeneid
    I run an Asteroid mining website. Visit it before James Cameron takes it from me.

Saevus are you witless?

It is your party's disillusioned thinking that has disabled us from discussing the matter. I have already drawn up proposals for destroying carthage, proposals, that since I am not an Optimate myself, have been cast aside. All you have offered is a foolish frontal assault into the heart of Carthage itself. Even if the fleet survives to reach her shores, Carthage's land forces will smash our tiny legion with little trouble. Perhaps you would like to lead that charge yourself, Saevus?

Have you been deaf to everything that has been said here?

I did imply that we would discuss Carthage, did i not? my ears have not failed dear Senator, i was simply trying to keep the senate on track, when it seemed discussion was heading towards Epirote and Gaul.

I will oppose any raising of another legion at this time. We must first build up our infrastructure. An expedition to Africa at this time is a non issue simply because it will not happen.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

War with Epeiros would be the mos insane thing to do. I have just made them sign peace and trade with you, after all! We are Romans and Romans do not brake treaties. I agree that we must not loose our momentum on the war against Carthage, however bravery is turning into utter foolhardiness! You know that we can not raise a legion to ferry to Africa! We have to take the isles first. Carthage's fleets are everywhere and we can not fight a war on three fronts! If we take Sardinia and Corsica we will be ready to put together our divided troops and press forward to Africa at once! Until those isles are taken, however, we simply can not go on. You know it, Senators, you know it!

Senator Saevus. There are a few things you must remember. Firstly, last term a motion was passed that the Consuls start building and reinforcing our infrastructure. This is law, and it will be obeyed if we are to remember our principles as the Roman senate.
    Secondly, Sicily is in our hands, but not every citizen there is happy with us. Of course, as you might suggest next, we can just put the lot of them to the sword. After all, they are not Romans. This will not work. We are Romans, and we uphold certain ideals. These are varied and some do include vengeance. But, it were not the barbarian cities that killed Falco. Those brigands had no aid at all. From all that Falco told our brother Scipio, they were a rabble. Vermin on the fields. And what disgusts me most is this. You speak of avenging Falco yet, you did not press this when we heard of his death? Why now senator? Why now taht we are at WAR? Men are fighting for the honour of Rome, and you would have us throw their lives away. Yes! Falco died at the hands of brigands! But Scipio avenged him already, he killed all of them! Thus your reason is nonsense! And what then of the Romans we lost in the Epirot wars? Would you have us avenge them immediatly? Empty our cities, make them devoid of men and coin?
    We can not afford another Legion if we wish to control Sicily and take the islands. I remember that the Optimates were quite adamant on getting these isles and then proceeding to Carthage. Yet now, you seem to wildly point out to every direction.

Oppius pauses, lost for words and breath. He can hardly think, so much does the rage boil through his entire body. The Optimates seek only war, and they will not be satisfied until they have it. But he will not give in. Never, the people of Rome will not be thrown away like sand for the wind.

Thus, I say this. We will not go to war with anyone else. Not untill we have Sicily completely under our control. Not until we have Corsica and Sardinia. Not until we have finished our war with Carthage.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Senator

Herius stands, and turns towards Saevus and in a loud, Clear voice says

"Senator Saevus, i respect you but no one else will, if your going to starting running your mouth off about war with the gauls and other barbarians, when we are currently at war with Carthage. What makes it worse, you know that no one in their right mind would listen and agree with these motions of war."

Herius faces the whole of the curia

"Now can we get on with the more important issues at hand?."

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Senators, this debate is going nowhere, and it is getting heated as well. I am monitoring the Curia closely, and if any acts of abuse or words of great insult happen, I will start issuing Nota Censuras.

Thank you Censor, i fully trust you to keep this curia in order.

Now, we must talk about Sicily and what Budget Lepidus will have, i propose he get 5000 or indeed more! This for the first term, of the two he will sit. When the elections for the next term are done the senate should look on the situation again and decide what budget he should get for his last term as Pro-Consul.

Any thoughts on this issue?
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I have sent a message to the Pro-Consul and I hope that he will send an answer soon. Senator Lepidus is an experienced men, so he will be able to judge quite well what to do.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

It is noble that you wish to solidify Sicilia by taking the Punic Isles, but then Sicilia is not truly ours is it? No we have Syracuse to contend with. I say let us truly secure Sicilia, after all if we can afford to launch a naval invasion and land troops on the Punic Islands, it should not be a difficult matter to siege Syracuse...

You men may have the fools convinced that Syracuse is neutral, I know otherwise, after all if I were in their position surrounded by a potential enemy, why... I would be mustering my forces preparing to attack. But then I am a true Roman...

Decimus sits, with a look of sheer contempt on his face
    Caeso Decimus Crassus (32)

Winter's Avatar Civitate

A messenger arrives from Proconsul Lepidus

"Senators,

I have received word from the two able Consuls, both of whom support the budget I proposed. I must insist that I recieve no less than 5000 denarii to begin Romanizing this island. There is much to do that cannot be accomplished with less. If less than 5000 Denarii is sent, local buildings may have to be torn down to pay for important upgrades - a move that will no doubt lead to revolt.

I must also adress the suggestion that the Senate would set aside part of my budget for uses they deem appropriate. I will remind the house that they have not this authority as dictated by the Constitution. They may only propose an annual amount that I may use from the Republic's budget. Should the Consuls wish to veto any of my decisions, then they may do so. However the Senate legally has no control over my spending.

However, as a good Roman, I shall listen to the Senate's guidance, should it be provided along with my funds. I do intend to focus on governmental infrastructure this year, and then next year I will move on to economic and cultural necessities.

I request information on my budget as soon as possible.

Regards

L. Aurelius Lepidus."

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

The annexation of Syracuse will be up to the Proconsul. Should he wish to train local units in his province for the job, then I would say he is good to go. If we are to leave it up to him we might consider sending him more money, so he may hire levy hoplites from Lilibeo.

I approve of the figure 5,000 provided that Lepidus follows through with his proposition and spends it on governmental infrastructure.

Which brings up the matter of what sort of governments we should establish in Sicilia. Any opinions?

I believe that by making Messana a Romanized province and Lilibeo an allied state we may reap the benefits of the Sicily more readily. Of course, I think a message should be sent to the proconsul to ask his opinion.

Consuls, may we move my propositions, however modified, to a vote?

If you would gather them in a complete form with the changes decided on i would be glad to put it to vote, immediately.

OOC: if you can make a nice name for it too, thatd be nice.

Victualia frugalitas quod bellicus

I. The Senate advises that the Legion in Lilibeo be moved to Capua for retraining and that one maniple of hastati and one maniple of triarii be attached to it.

II. 5,000 Denarii shall be allocated to the proconsul of Sicily, to be spent as he wishes, with the advice that 2,000 of it be directly be invested in infrastructure.

III. 12,000 Denarii be allocated to the Quaestor, who shall immediately spend it on improvements to markets, mines, ports or roads throughout the Republic. Should he not complete this task within six months (By Wednesday) he shall be punished.

"I am completely against the third motion regarding the sum of 12 000 mnai and urge my fellow Senators to come to a NAY, many of these Pacificsts complain that we do not have funds to raise armies to attack other nations. Well of course we dont! Not when bills such as these are passed, bills whose only purpose is to expand their power base via the masses! NAY senators vote NAY, I want to see the money poured into our war machine! So that we may once again actually be a power to be feared. Do not be cowed by their long speeches and insults, know that in your heart this is the wrong thing to do and the right thing, the thing that will make Rome great again, feared again is to raise another legion, or even two!"
    Caeso Decimus Crassus (32)

My dear friend, I do not believe you were here when the bill was unanimously passed. Allow me to refresh your memory:

Lex Domestica De Aedificaturo Viarum in Italia

I. The majority of the Treasury will be devoted to the building of economical infrastructure across Italy. Priorities will be given to the construction of Roads and Sea Trade with secondary priorities given to the construction of Farms and food production.

II. The quaestor, or a suffectus, MUST provide a detailed report regarding the devotion of our funds for said constructions to the Censor, who will then compile the necessary list of buildings to construct.

III. Mismanagement of the funds will not be tolerated due to our limited resources. The list drawn up by the Censor will be sent before the Senate for a max of three times for revision. If the list is not approved upon the third time, then constructions will not commence.

Scipio's bill only specifies the ammount to be allocated for the purpose. There is no question that we will be devoting the majority of our treasury to economic infrastructure. Fear not for our martial virtue as Romans. Once this is done we will have redoubled our income and be capable of affording twice the legions!

This has become characteristic of the optimates as of late. They flat out disagree with a measure, but then offer no recourse.

You are mistaken Scipio. Decimus did have a proposal: that we use the funds to train new legions. He merely had forgotten about a previous bill.