Thread: Need help with setting up SS

magraev's Avatar Biarchus

Icon11 Need help with setting up SS

Hi all

I had an earlier version of SS (maybe 4) installed some time ago, but now I have bought kingdoms, and I want to install the newest SS.

I'm currently downloading part 2 of the mod, and after that I'll download the patch and get installin'.

I wonder about the sub-mods and what you think about them. Should I install or not - what advice can you give me?

Also I wonder if you have to unpack the files in the TW-directory before installing?

I hope you can help me.

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Default Re: Need help with setting up SS

Quote Originally Posted by magraev View Post
    Hi all

I had an earlier version of SS (maybe 4) installed some time ago, but now I have bought kingdoms, and I want to install the newest SS.

I'm currently downloading part 2 of the mod, and after that I'll download the patch and get installin'.

I wonder about the sub-mods and what you think about them. Should I install or not - what advice can you give me?

Also I wonder if you have to unpack the files in the TW-directory before installing?

I hope you can help me.
    I would install 6.1 patch, do not select BGR3 and RR and then proceed to install 6.2 Patch.
    At this point you will have the option to install BGR and RR and I also understand SSTC.
    Before you select these you should review each under sub mods to see if they are what you want.
    I also use sub mods Crimson Tide, Burning Man, Garrison Script, Lusted Campaign and Battle AI. These you can direct to SS Data Folder, although the instruction for Garrison is different, so you need to check on that.
    I did not have to unpack anything.

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)

Violator's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by magraev View Post
    Hi all

I hope you can help me.
    Hello!! well first of all you don't need to unpack,secondly if you want a deeper and tougher game more D.LO.VULT style you should install R.R. + BYG GRIM'S REALITY (check the threads for details).Another great mod which does not make the game so "difficult" and you should definitely install is SSTC+RAJ along with 'BATTLE FOR THE BALTIC" and of course for the most perfect Byzantine roster created until now, the excellent "BASILEIA TON ROMAION" and all those along with IGNASITH'S "BIGGER BATTLES+SPEED+MORALLE" as it is compatible with all.Well the list of excellent compatible mods for S.S.6.1 is very big so i suggest you also check this thread als by IGNASITH www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=192294.Finally check all the submods until you find the ideal combination for you depenting on what you want!! Cheers

Thanks for the very interesting replies!

I've read somewhere, that it's easier to install mods later than to remove them, so I guess I'll go with vanilla SS and then read up on the mods and maybe reinstall later.

Mainly I want the bigger campaign map and the fixes to traits and the new units.

Thanks again :-)

Just look in the sub mods forum and click on released mods for SS6, and check out any that look interesting. Personally, besides RR and BYG3 I would reccomend the text overhaul mod. It is save compatible and it really changes the atmosphere of the game for the better. Of course I would also recommend my Abbasid Caliphate mod, but it really depends on your taste. And I'm sure the 6.2 sub mod is also very good.
    Developer of The Great War | Leader of WW2: Sandstorm | Under the Woolen Patronage of Mitch | King of All

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    History has always been a bit of the State's slut.

Quote Originally Posted by Navajo Joe View Post
    I would install 6.1 patch, do not select BGR3 and RR and then proceed to install 6.2 Patch.
    At this point you will have the option to install BGR and RR and I also understand SSTC.
    Before you select these you should review each under sub mods to see if they are what you want.
    I also use sub mods Crimson Tide, Burning Man, Garrison Script, Lusted Campaign and Battle AI. These you can direct to SS Data Folder, although the instruction for Garrison is different, so you need to check on that.
    I did not have to unpack anything.
    You've been using 6.2 with RR/BGR/SSTC and Lusted's AI's?

That's pretty much my dream list of mods right there, but so far (3 installs) I've gotten CTD's whenever I try to start a campaign

What order do you install them in?

Icon7 Re: Need help with setting up SS

I've installed and everything seems to work just fine

I have to get used to SS a bit before I'm going for a mod. I don't have a high-end pc, so it'll probably be something like improved rosters (byz, baltic) and maybe bugfixes.

I played a bit with England last night M/M (I always seem to take the first game with them). I took 3 surrounding rebel provinces and was doing well. At the same time I just saw a huge scottish army sieging bruges! They have more troops than me, even though they have only 3 cities and I have 8. At the lowest tiers I think they are better too. I might be in for a bit of a challenge here - nice. I suspect the money-script is at play here.

I like the battles so far, just built my first longbowmen and hope to see them in action soon.

Navajo Joe's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kolaris8472 View Post
    You've been using 6.2 with RR/BGR/SSTC and Lusted's AI's?

That's pretty much my dream list of mods right there, but so far (3 installs) I've gotten CTD's whenever I try to start a campaign

What order do you install them in?
    Now, I have not been able to download 6.2 at home because of internet problems. However I understood from Gracul's 6.2 thread that the Installer gives you the option to install these. If this is not the case, I apologise. My understanding of RR,BGR4 and SSTC is that they are compatible, so you might have to drop Lusted AI sub mod, although I am sure that previously has been compatible.
    Just thinking have you modded any files yourself?

'Proud to be patronised by cedric37(My Father and My Guardian)