Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Creating a World – Basic mapping from scratch

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Re: Creating a World – Basic mapping from scratch

You could try this one: [Tutorial] Creating Land Mass

Rafael_Brasil's Avatar Biarchus

Perhaps the gigantus can make a youtube movie,will be more easy to non english people =]

i have a problem with my map and im not sure what it is. Can u help?
    here is my log:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

21:47:47.796 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    21:47:47.805 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Aug 3 2007 version bld-medieval2-kingdoms-104 (45562) ===
    21:47:47.809 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    21:47:47.810 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    21:47:47.811 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    21:47:47.812 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    21:47:47.813 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    21:47:47.813 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    21:48:03.880 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id NE Bodyguard exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0 requested.
    21:48:03.881 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id Spear Militia exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0 requested.
    21:48:03.881 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id Spear Militia exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0 requested.
    21:48:03.881 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id Town Militia exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0 requested.
    21:48:03.881 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id Peasants exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0 requested.
    21:48:03.881 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id cog exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0 requested.
    21:48:03.881 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id cog exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0 requested.
    21:48:03.881 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id NE Bodyguard exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0 requested.
    21:48:03.881 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id Crossbow Militia exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0 requested.
    21:48:03.881 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id Peasant Archers exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0 requested.
    21:48:03.882 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id Spear Militia exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0 requested.
    21:48:03.882 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : unrecognised record id Spear Militia exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0 requested.
    21:48:05.608 [data.invalid] [error] File 'mods/MyMapping/data/world/maps/base/map_heights.tga' must have dimensions 1, 1
    21:48:05.613 [data.invalid] [error] File 'mods/MyMapping/data/world/maps/base/map_roughness.tga' must have dimensions 0, 0
    21:48:05.618 [data.invalid] [error] File 'mods/MyMapping/data/world/maps/base/map_climates.tga' must have dimensions 1, 1
    21:48:05.643 [data.invalid] [error] File 'mods/MyMapping/data/world/maps/base/map_ground_types.tga' must have dimensions 1, 1
    21:48:05.660 [data.invalid] [error] File 'mods/MyMapping/data/world/maps/base/map_features.tga' must have dimensions 0, 0
    21:48:05.667 [data.invalid] [error] File 'mods/MyMapping/data/world/maps/base/map_trade_routes.tga' must have dimensions 0, 0
    21:48:05.930 [system.rpt] [error] Uh oh. This isn't good. No idea why, but exiting now. Sorry pal.

and +rep for the tutorial
    Would u like the more detailed log, i wasnt sure which to post?

Proudly Editing Borissomeone's Fan Fiction (here)

Quote Originally Posted by SeekerAfterTruth View Post
    i have a problem with my map and im not sure what it is. Can u help?
    here is my log:
    21:48:05.608 [data.invalid] [error] File 'mods/MyMapping/data/world/maps/base/map_heights.tga' must have dimensions 1, 1
    21:48:05.613 [data.invalid] [error] File 'mods/MyMapping/data/world/maps/base/map_roughness.tga' must have dimensions 0, 0
    21:48:05.618 [data.invalid] [error] File 'mods/MyMapping/data/world/maps/base/map_climates.tga' must have dimensions 1, 1
    21:48:05.643 [data.invalid] [error] File 'mods/MyMapping/data/world/maps/base/map_ground_types.tga' must have dimensions 1, 1
    21:48:05.660 [data.invalid] [error] File 'mods/MyMapping/data/world/maps/base/map_features.tga' must have dimensions 0, 0
    21:48:05.667 [data.invalid] [error] File 'mods/MyMapping/data/world/maps/base/map_trade_routes.tga' must have dimensions 0, 0
    21:48:05.930 [system.rpt] [error] Uh oh. This isn't good. No idea why, but exiting now. Sorry pal.
    and +rep for the tutorial
    Would u like the more detailed log, i wasnt sure which to post?
    Well i'm no genius when it comes to the mapping part but from the looks of your the error is in the dimensions of the .tga mapping files in the base folder
    The one showing error "must have dimensions 1, 1" must have dimensions double+1pixel to that of the ones showing "must have dimensions 0,0".
    Like if map_regions.tga file is 295x189 pixels
    then map_features.tga will be (295*2)+1x(189*2)+1= 591x379 pixels wide. Make sure u have that otherwise you get a CTD.
    Hope this helps u bro.

Blog Entries

There is certainly a problem with your descr_terrain file. The dimensions of the map should be here (sample numbers) and it looks as if yours are set to zero:

dimensions
    {
    width 510
    height 337
    }
    heights
    {
    min_sea_height -3406.782
    max_land_height 7511.272
    }
    roughness
    {
    min 50.000
    max 200.000
    }
    fractal
    {
    multiplier 0.500
    }
    lattitude
    {
    min 22.000
    max 56.000
    }

Quote Originally Posted by gigantus View Post
    There is certainly a problem with your descr_terrain file. The dimensions of the map should be here (sample numbers) and it looks as if yours are set to zero:

dimensions
    {
    width 510
    height 337
    }
    heights
    {
    min_sea_height -3406.782
    max_land_height 7511.272
    }
    roughness
    {
    min 50.000
    max 200.000
    }
    fractal
    {
    multiplier 0.500
    }
    lattitude
    {
    min 22.000
    max 56.000
    }
    Thanks so much!!! It turned out that both values ended up on one line, i dont know y but it was easily fixed. There is problem one solved, i fixed a few after that myself and now i have another, i know whats wrong i just need to know one thing, how many tabs go between the word "unit" and the "NE bodyguard" and how many tabs go between there and the units stats, the line is below:

unit NE Bodyguard exp 1 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0

Just a suggestion u might want to do something to ur PFD because when the text is copied to a txt file it replaces all the tabs with a space and that is why myself and Tar-Narcano have had problems. It would b great if you could fix this

EDIT: its ok everybody i fixed my problem, everything works now!!!
    Last edited by SeekerAfterTruth; June 20, 2010 at 02:16 AM.

Blog Entries

1.Two TABS, after that spaces: unitTABunitnameTABexpSPACE
    2. PDF copying: thanks for pointing it out, I will attach the necessary text files and make a note in the manual.

Although it doesnt really have anything to do with this very helpful tutorial i was wondering if there was some way u could specify where the game placed the roads?
    It is just that this could turn out to be very helpful in making my mod when i want it as close to a pre-existing map as possible, down to the very last road.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

Quote Originally Posted by SeekerAfterTruth View Post
    Although it doesnt really have anything to do with this very helpful tutorial i was wondering if there was some way u could specify where the game placed the roads?
    It is just that this could turn out to be very helpful in making my mod when i want it as close to a pre-existing map as possible, down to the very last road.
    The only way I found to control roads (pathfinding by the game) is by a combination of map_heights.tga, and map_ground_types.tga. At www.totalwar.org, about four years ago, a modder did a full thread on this with screenshots to prove his points. You would have to search for it but it is very informative on how the game engine is made to think.

Blog Entries

@Irishron
    Going for the quintuple nelson post?

@seeker
    The game will take the straightest route between settlements for the road. You can influence this by placing river crossings at strategic points and using impassable ground types to deflect the direct path. Nothing direct that can be done.

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

@gig,
    You don't have to know everything, just know where the info is.

Blog Entries

Got myself a text file with about thirty links to the most important modding stuff. Gets bigger every week. Some stuff is so esoteric, wouldn't know what to do with it - like the gadget that supposedly modifies the font (CUF) files.

Got myself a text file with about thirty links to the most important modding stuff. Gets bigger every week. Some stuff is so esoteric, wouldn't know what to do with it - like the gadget that supposedly modifies the font (CUF) files.
    Wow gigantus my man i think u got urself a M2 disease bro that grows on you everyday. Hope i catch the same disease some day.

@seeker
    The game will take the straightest route between settlements for the road. You can influence this by placing river crossings at strategic points and using impassable ground types to deflect the direct path. Nothing direct that can be done.
    Thanks for the help +rep if i can

I have a big problem! I cant read the tutorial! I have opened the tutorial with every program i could think of and it just wouldn't work. I do not have Microsoft Office. I have tried to open the tutorial with Open Office, Microsoft Works Word Processor, Adobe Reader, Word Pad, Note Pad, and I even downloaded Foxit Reader that was in one of your posts but not even that would work! I heard that this is in DOC format but I have no clue what that is or how to use or anthing! I'm a newbie by the way. PLEASE HELP!

IZob's Avatar Citizen

The files are complied into a .rar file type, which acts like a compact folder.

You need the WinRAR programme to extract the files from .rar file type.

WinRAR is 'free' and only a small download. WinRAR is used as a tool to compact files so that they take up less space. This applies to downloading as well.

Open the WinRAR link above, and then select the downloads tab to the left. Then you simply download the correct WinRAR for your operating system (eg: PC, MAC, [32 or 64 bit ... ect]). Languages are optional (it comes as english as default).

Install WinRAR. Once installed, WinRAR should detect which files are .rar types. Double click on those files and WinRAR will automatically open them for you and display its contents. Using the menu you can then extract the files to your desktop.

Thats 300 rep points plz
    Contact me on Steam: steamcommunity.com/id/IZob/ or send a PM.

Blog Entries

Thanks for taking care of that.

IZob's Avatar Citizen

No problem
    Contact me on Steam: steamcommunity.com/id/IZob/ or send a PM.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

i tried your tutorial before, and kind of failed at it,
    would it be possible if i used your tutorial, but instead of using an iceland map, use a map that i myself created

Blog Entries

The Iceland map is provided because a base was needed for the tutorial. You can certainly use any other picture as base.