Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 102526272829303132333435

Thread: Creating a World – Basic mapping from scratch

Default Re: Creating a World – Basic mapping from scratch

I'm having some issues regarding colors when I'm defining the terrain types. There are some colors you mentioned in the list that are very similar to each other, or at least that's what I see when I apply the RGB values. But GIMP goes a step further and changes the colors without my consent. For example, (0, 255, 218) represents swamp and it should be bright green, but it appears as cyan. Fertile Low should be Grey-Blue (0, 128, 128), but it appears as cyan either. And when I use the color picking tool to check if the colors were assigned correctly, it always changes both swamp and Fertile Low to another tone of cyan (0, 100, 100). I got very confused and decided to check both RTW and M2TW game files, and I noticed rather quickly that the colors assigned in the game files are completely different and have RBG values that aren't round, like 63.2, etc. Anyway, is there something wrong with GIMP? Did I make something wrong? Things were going great till this point

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

It's an odd (recent) feature in GIMP - when you have the color picker open make sure to click the 0.255 button to display the correct RGB values. After that the commonly referred to RGB values will be the top three - 96, 160, 64 in the example:

Thank you for the tip. I managed to get around it by using Photoshop but I'll make sure to use this option next time I use gimp. I spent one month editing the tga files and I decided to make a huge worldwide map, 510x510. But then when I launched the executable and tried to start a campaign the game got stuck in the campaign screen for some 5 minutes and then crashed. I tried to simplify provinces, heights, substitute huge water bodies for landmasses surrounded by oceans, to no effect. I'll try to scale the map down a bit to see if it works, but if it doesn't I guess I'll have to start over

Quote Originally Posted by Vitore View Post
    Thank you for the tip. I managed to get around it by using Photoshop but I'll make sure to use this option next time I use gimp. I spent one month editing the tga files and I decided to make a huge worldwide map, 510x510. But then when I launched the executable and tried to start a campaign the game got stuck in the campaign screen for some 5 minutes and then crashed. I tried to simplify provinces, heights, substitute huge water bodies for landmasses surrounded by oceans, to no effect. I'll try to scale the map down a bit to see if it works, but if it doesn't I guess I'll have to start over
    I tried scaling the map down to 250x250 with only 2 regions. The same thing is happening. I always get the "Uh oh. This isn't good. No idea why, but exiting now. Sorry pal." message and the game crashes. And there isnt even a loading screen, it crashes before that. What changed is that now I dont need to wait 5 minutes. The two final lines of my log are "19:48:04.088 [bink] [debug] [data/fmv/menu/DUMP0000.BIK]Pause on" and "19:48:04.132 [system.rpt] [error] Uh oh. This isn't good. No idea why, but exiting now. Sorry pal."

Blog Entries

Some reasons for crashes: too many land masses (islands), not enough regions. River pixels connecting the wrong way. Have a look at one of my basic maps for minimum requirements.

Greetings

Sorry to bother you. I´ve just begun creating my own mod, and i´m already stuck, i begun by working with your "creating a world - basic mapping from scratch". I remade the Iceland but was met with an error so i recon i have smudged some blue or something like that, so i begun making my own map, but i wanted to stick to a step by step plan, so i made the map_base and everything else i made on a just enough level so it would work and i could check if it is working with geomod, well, upon turning the geomod on and starting a campaign, it loads for half a minute and then returns me back to menu, with no error, i´m not sure if i made an error in the way i´m using the geomod or if i´ve made an error in GIMP, could i perhaps send you the files so you could check them?

I´ll be waiting for your reply.

Blog Entries

Geomod is a mapping tool, Bare Geomod is a mod setup.

I take it you are using BG as a base for creating a new map? There could be a number of issues so the best will be if you upload your mod folder for me to have a look.