Thread: Recruitment in Res Gestae

Default Recruitment in Res Gestae

Non-Roman factions:

The recruitment works as in Vanilla Rome Total War. That is:
    - Barracks and its upgrades for infantry units
    - Stables and its upgrades for cavalry units.
    - Practice Range and its upgrades for missile units.

Nevertheless, two things must be mentioned, as a difference with Rome Total War Vanilla:

- Many factions have the recruitment of their core units limited to only some areas. For instance, a Greek or Hellenistic faction will only be able to recruit hoplites or phalanx pikemen in Greece or Macedonia, or in areas where colonists of these ascendance were located. Whereas in Vanilla RTW, to put an example, the Macedonians could recruit phalangites in Britain, if they conquered the Island.

- There are certain areas where there are local units that can be recruited by any faction that conquers the settlement, once developed the proper buildings. These are the "AOR units" that are present in other mods as well. These units have also some restrictions. For instance: the Romans never recruited hoplites or phalangites, as they already had their own heavy infantry. So a Roman player will not have the possibility of recruiting AOR hoplites when conquering a Greek Province, while a Seleucid player will be able to do it.

Roman Factions:

At Game start:

As you will have noticed, at game start the Roman player has a "Polybian military Era" building in his settlements in Italy. This building is the one that enables the recruitment of the core Roman units of the Polybian era (from game start until 107BC aproximately). As I have said, this building is only present in Italy, which means that recruitment of Hastati, Princeps, Triarii, Velites and so on, is restricted to Italy until 107BC.

Note: the recruitment of Pedites and Equites Extraordinarii should also be included in the "Polybian military Era" building. But, due to a bug, it is not. This is fixed in the patch, which is being currently tested. But these units are going to be recruited in Barracks and Stables, due to some coding problem that I have been unable to solve.

Outside Italy, the Roman player will have, as other factions, some AOR units to recruit. Thanks to your feedback, we noticed that the areas of Greece and Africa are particularly lacking of units for the Roman factions. So, while the Julii expanded in Gaul and Illyria, which have some AOR units, the Brutii (expanding in Greece) and the Scipii (expanding in Africa), have almost no units to recruit. This has also been fixed in the patch.

After 107 BC:

A new level of the Reforms building will appear in 107BC, this time named "Era militare Mariana". The building will be spawned in almost all the settlements of the map. So, if you have survived the game until then (or you have not won yet), you will be able to recruit core Roman units (including legionnaries) in almost all of the settlements of the map. This is not entirely historically accurate, but it is how the mod was originally designed.
    Of course, AOR units will still be available in their regions.

After that, two other Reforms will take place, Augustan and Imperial, with their corresponding units.

Marian Reforms

As we have explained in the previous point, the Roman Reforms take place at a certain date. This means that the "Marius Reform" event that appears in the game, will have no effect in terms of recruitment for any of the factions in the game.

Recruitment of a whole legion

This feature is present in the starting capital of the four Roman factions: Rome, Arretium, Tarentum and Capua. Once you recruit a general unit, a whole army will spawn in the "Field of Mars", near each city. Of course, you must have activated the script in order for this feature to work.
    The recruitment of the general unit is possible once you have built these buildings in the settlement: Barracks, Stables and Practice Range. These are the buildings necessary at game start. Once the next Reform building is spawned, the next level of all these buildings will be necessary (Legion Barracks, Cavalry Stables and Archery Range for the Era militare Mariana, for instance)

Finally, let me apologize for the delay in making this guide. I was quite focused in making the patch and could not find time to write this. Thanks to all for playing this mod, by the way.
    Last edited by Salvor Hardin; March 31, 2011 at 02:36 PM.

Default Re: Recruitment in Res Gestae

That good, way more historical than original rome total war.

I am playing as the Cornellii or however you wrote it. I've just played the first 20 or so turns. I have few questions.
    After the first reform I will be able to recruit basic legionaires in any settlement right? (seriously hard trying to reinforce my African expidition.)
    Why is Syracuse so hard to take? Two full armies in the greek part of the isle? What would your plan to take Syracuse be?
    As a Roman is their a way I could recruit non-Roman units like Greeks, Numidians and, Egyptians? besides mercenaries?

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

Icon3 Re: Recruitment in Res Gestae

I think you can change the game a little bitHow about to remove the blue and the green romans and remains only the Senate and the red romans?
    In they'r places you can add Celts and for example some Chinese tribes conquered the north India because in this period 220BC China was great power what you think?

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiBG View Post
    I think you can change the game a little bitHow about to remove the blue and the green romans and remains only the Senate and the red romans?
    In they'r places you can add Celts and for example some Chinese tribes conquered the north India because in this period 220BC China was great power what you think?

No China cose they didnt never truly expand their empire, just babysit behind "The Great Wall"
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

In 104 BC the Chinese invaded Ferghana. That`s well inside the the RG map.

I was gona say, i was getting sick of having to fight off a pontus hord of heavy infantry and cavalry with only archers and peltasts when i expanded into turkey.
    when will the patch be released?

Which faction are you playing with?

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

Well with red Romans and now with Spain and Macedonia.

how do i activate the script to get the legions spawning?

i was playing as the green roman valerii i think its spelt but the replacement for the brutii

The script is activated by clicking on one of your settlements in campaign mod which will make the adviser appear and you then click on the show me how button of the adviser. That should do it, but you need to repeat it every time you load a saved game. And it`s also best to completely quit the game to desktop if you`ve started a campaign, but want to start/load another one.

Quote Originally Posted by florin80 View Post
    The script is activated by clicking on one of your settlements in campaign mod which will make the adviser appear and you then click on the show me how button of the adviser. That should do it, but you need to repeat it every time you load a saved game. And it`s also best to completely quit the game to desktop if you`ve started a campaign, but want to start/load another one.
    okay thanks dude, is it available at anytime?

Add the Han empire

Any chance to reach a compromise on the Han(given that the current version is the final one) or does Salvor really need to get on it right away?

Looks like my words were a bit rushed and I will have to go back to Res Gestae. So much for my retirement!

I was wondering if we should consider (now that we are including with the Far Orient) the addition of Japan to the map, with some cool ninja units.

Laetus

Quote Originally Posted by TheRomanRuler View Post
    No China cose they didnt never truly expand their empire, just babysit behind "The Great Wall"
    In fact "The Great Wall"was not the frontier of China, it just a Defensive structures

Quote Originally Posted by Salvor Hardin View Post

I was wondering if we should consider (now that we are including with the Far Orient) the addition of Japan to the map, with some cool ninja units.
    Hahaha loved that

Hi is that normal in Britain you can’t train any kind of units in any city and Ireland as well

Quote Originally Posted by Salvor Hardin View Post
    Non-Roman factions:

The recruitment works as in Vanilla Rome Total War. That is:
    - Barracks and its upgrades for infantry units
    - Stables and its upgrades for cavalry units.
    - Practice Range and its upgrades for missile units.

Nevertheless, two things must be mentioned, as a difference with Rome Total War Vanilla:

- Many factions have the recruitment of their core units limited to only some areas. For instance, a Greek or Hellenistic faction will only be able to recruit hoplites or phalanx pikemen in Greece or Macedonia, or in areas where colonists of these ascendance were located. Whereas in Vanilla RTW, to put an example, the Macedonians could recruit phalangites in Britain, if they conquered the Island.

- There are certain areas where there are local units that can be recruited by any faction that conquers the settlement, once developed the proper buildings. These are the "AOR units" that are present in other mods as well. These units have also some restrictions. For instance: the Romans never recruited hoplites or phalangites, as they already had their own heavy infantry. So a Roman player will not have the possibility of recruiting AOR hoplites when conquering a Greek Province, while a Seleucid player will be able to do it.

Roman Factions:

At Game start:

As you will have noticed, at game start the Roman player has a "Polybian military Era" building in his settlements in Italy. This building is the one that enables the recruitment of the core Roman units of the Polybian era (from game start until 107BC aproximately). As I have said, this building is only present in Italy, which means that recruitment of Hastati, Princeps, Triarii, Velites and so on, is restricted to Italy until 107BC.

Note: the recruitment of Pedites and Equites Extraordinarii should also be included in the "Polybian military Era" building. But, due to a bug, it is not. This is fixed in the patch, which is being currently tested. But these units are going to be recruited in Barracks and Stables, due to some coding problem that I have been unable to solve.

Outside Italy, the Roman player will have, as other factions, some AOR units to recruit. Thanks to your feedback, we noticed that the areas of Greece and Africa are particularly lacking of units for the Roman factions. So, while the Julii expanded in Gaul and Illyria, which have some AOR units, the Brutii (expanding in Greece) and the Scipii (expanding in Africa), have almost no units to recruit. This has also been fixed in the patch.

After 107 BC:

A new level of the Reforms building will appear in 107BC, this time named "Era militare Mariana". The building will be spawned in almost all the settlements of the map. So, if you have survived the game until then (or you have not won yet), you will be able to recruit core Roman units (including legionnaries) in almost all of the settlements of the map. This is not entirely historically accurate, but it is how the mod was originally designed.
    Of course, AOR units will still be available in their regions.

After that, two other Reforms will take place, Augustan and Imperial, with their corresponding units.

Marian Reforms

As we have explained in the previous point, the Roman Reforms take place at a certain date. This means that the "Marius Reform" event that appears in the game, will have no effect in terms of recruitment for any of the factions in the game.

Recruitment of a whole legion

This feature is present in the starting capital of the four Roman factions: Rome, Arretium, Tarentum and Capua. Once you recruit a general unit, a whole army will spawn in the "Field of Mars", near each city. Of course, you must have activated the script in order for this feature to work.
    The recruitment of the general unit is possible once you have built these buildings in the settlement: Barracks, Stables and Practice Range. These are the buildings necessary at game start. Once the next Reform building is spawned, the next level of all these buildings will be necessary (Legion Barracks, Cavalry Stables and Archery Range for the Era militare Mariana, for instance)

Finally, let me apologize for the delay in making this guide. I was quite focused in making the patch and could not find time to write this. Thanks to all for playing this mod, by the way.