Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: [Questions?] You ask... we answer...

Serapio's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: You ask... we answer...

salve! one question. does it make sense to use the thuringians as a major faction, if your starting date is 527 A.D.? in 531 the thuringians were defeated by the franks and in 534 their last king herminafried was apparently murdered in Zülpich/Tolbiacum. i think the bavarian agilolfingians would be the better choice, because they start to rise at 530/550. i know, its a little bit too late for such suggestions.

Constantius's Avatar Primicerius

A welcomed suggestion, your right though it is a little late. But anyway in 527 CE the Thuringians were still very much alive! So then anything after 527 CE is up to the playing to follow or change history

Signature made by Joar

Pompeius Magnus's Avatar primus inter pares

In 527AD the Bavarians were just a shadow compared to the Thuringians and at this time it was not sure that they become such an important faction. And even if their power rose in the 540s (which is doubtless the case) - they were not the center of political interests until the beginning of the 7th century (~600-620AD).
    However, they are of course an interesting faction for AoD3.

By the way, it was not as a matter of course that Thuringia fell into the hands of the Franks. They were, as mentioned by Constantius, still a very powerful faction in the heart-land of Germania and fought a long war with the Franks. Their end came abrupt. And even after the lost war against the Franks they kept a certain independence. Obviously they had enough resources to compete several enemies (Slavs, Burgunds, Franks, even Alemanni).
    Another problem are the limited faction slots regarding the RTW engine. I mean the next guy is coming and tells me to install the Basques instead of the Suebi. Even the Gepids came to their end in 560s, The Burgunds lost their independence in 532. You see, the complete era was very dynamic.

I made a strong cut in 527AD and checked what kind of major factions very still present.

Serapio's Avatar Semisalis

thx for your replies. good points.

the bavarians and alamanni were also on a certain degree semi-independent after their integration into the frankish empire. the thuringians were highly assimilated by frankish settlers as you can see by the appearance of frankish settlement names and guard stations (ending with "-hausen") in thuringia. after 531 most of the nobles of thuringia were of frankish origin, if i remeber right. but later under duke radulf, the duchy of thuringia played a major role in the internal conflicts in the merowingian empire. from this time on, you can see the re-emergence of a virtual "germanic/thuringian-identity" in contrast to the "latin" part of the frankish empire.

but i agree with you, that there are also other germanic kingdoms that come to an abrupt end in this peroid. at the end, you find the right solution for the factions.

Indefinitely Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Pompeius Magnus View Post
    imprivivm trigivorium?
    Do you mean Regnvm T(h)vringorvm?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thuringii
    my latin is not up to par i see

Default Re: [Questions?] You ask... we answer...

This is an amazing, very impressive work and honestly, I think your units could very well fit with a M2TW mod. Anyway I just wanted to support you.

Just a single question, will the vegetation and environment be improved as in RS2 ?

Yes, we will implement a complete new vegetation. The project of a new created vegetation was made in team-work between the Fourth-Age TW-mod and AoD2. It is still not finished (but far developed) and the first results are very very promising.

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Oh, AoD will have FATW vegetation too? Cool!

mgabor27's Avatar Tiro

Though I never played with the 4th age mod, but I have just checked it's vegetation...beauty It would be good to see similar in this mod! I'm realy waiting for it!

Quote Originally Posted by mgabor27 View Post
    Though I never played with the 4th age mod, but I have just checked it's vegetation...beauty It would be good to see similar in this mod! I'm realy waiting for it!
    It's not in yet; Wait for v3.0.

mgabor27's Avatar Tiro

Oh...Understood. Anyway I'm brewing for AoD2 and started to reading Georg Ostrogorsky's books

^I'ma crush yo' Roman weaklings with a mountain sized hammer of savaran knights.

@Cocroach... our front-line Promachoi (latin:Antesignai) will form a nice phalanx - and then we show you the limits your savaran hammer.

@mgabor
    If you want get a certain feeling of that time I suggest to read the writings of Procopius of Caesarea.
    Available at amazon (beside other internet plattforms)

The following books are providing the original greek text and the english translations.
    In this case you have always the option to compare the real greek "wording". This is intersting in the case of real given titles, unit names etc...

History of the Wars, Volume I: Books 1-2. (Persian War) (Loeb Classical Library)
    # ISBN-10: 0674990544
    # ISBN-13: 978-0674990548

History of the Wars, Volume II: Books 3-4. (Vandalic War): 2 (Loeb Classical Library)
    # ISBN-10: 0674990900
    # ISBN-13: 978-0674990906

History of the Wars, Volume III: Books 5-6.15. (Gothic War): 3 (Loeb Classical Library)
    # ISBN-10: 0674991192
    # ISBN-13: 978-0674991194

History of the Wars, Volume IV: Books 6.16-7.35. (Gothic War): 4 (Loeb Classical Library)
    # ISBN-10: 0674991915
    # ISBN-13: 978-0674991910

History of the Wars, Volume V: Books 7.36-8. (Gothic War): 5 (Loeb Classical Library)
    # ISBN-10: 0674992393
    # ISBN-13: 978-0674992399

and his "secret history" provides some strong arguments against the reign of Justinian. In this book Procopius talks Billingsgate and you need nerves of steel. A complete different view, very contrary, compared to his former writings about the characters of his time.

The Anecdota or Secret History: 6 (Loeb Classical Library)
    # ISBN-10: 0674993209
    # ISBN-13: 978-0674993204
    Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; July 06, 2011 at 01:14 PM.

@Cocroach... our front-line Promachoi (latin:Antesignai) will form a nice phalanx - and then we show you the limits your savaran hammer.
    What you aren't prepared for, though, is the line of heavy infantry charging in suddenly while you're tightly packed with your long spears, and cut through the unprepared Romans. Meanwhile the mountain sized hammer will crush any random thing that appears in its path.

mgabor27's Avatar Tiro

@mgabor
    If you want get a certain feeling of that time I suggest to read the writings of Procopius of Caesarea.
    Available at amazon (beside other internet plattforms)

The following books are providing the original greek text and the english translations.
    In this case you have always the option to compare the real greek "wording". This is intersting in the case of real given titles, unit names etc...

History of the Wars, Volume I: Books 1-2. (Persian War) (Loeb Classical Library)
    # ISBN-10: 0674990544
    # ISBN-13: 978-0674990548

History of the Wars, Volume II: Books 3-4. (Vandalic War): 2 (Loeb Classical Library)
    # ISBN-10: 0674990900
    # ISBN-13: 978-0674990906

History of the Wars, Volume III: Books 5-6.15. (Gothic War): 3 (Loeb Classical Library)
    # ISBN-10: 0674991192
    # ISBN-13: 978-0674991194

History of the Wars, Volume IV: Books 6.16-7.35. (Gothic War): 4 (Loeb Classical Library)
    # ISBN-10: 0674991915
    # ISBN-13: 978-0674991910

History of the Wars, Volume V: Books 7.36-8. (Gothic War): 5 (Loeb Classical Library)
    # ISBN-10: 0674992393
    # ISBN-13: 978-0674992399

and his "secret history" provides some strong arguments against the reign of Justinian. In this book Procopius talks Billingsgate and you need nerves of steel. A complete different view, very ontrary, compared to his former writings about the characters of his time.

The Anecdota or Secret History: 6 (Loeb Classical Library)
    # ISBN-10: 0674993209
    # ISBN-13: 978-0674993204
    Thanks! I have read Procopios, his works are realy interesting especially the Secret history even if it's an anti-Justinian book

Hay team, how's going the progress? Everything running smoothly?
    Click on my sig and check out my modelling works! Your opinion is welcome!

Although I am not on the the team (unless spamming the forum for no apparent reason helps), it seems so.

Slowly but surely this is coming.

mgabor27's Avatar Tiro

The time when it've done will be on of my greatest day If my girlfriend heard this...

demagogos nicator's Avatar Domesticus

The time when it've done will be on of my greatest day If my girlfriend heard this...
    Same here

so long as you don't ask her to become an actress like Theodora...
    I think it's ok and worth to wait for our AoD2. And it will be released - that's for sure.