Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: HundredYearsWar 0.99 - General Discussion

Emperor of The Great Unknown's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: HundredYearsWar 0.7 - open Beta

i kinda hate this dumb mercinary stuff where you just pay there should be diffrent mercenary guilds like a flemish guild a norwgiegn guild and a itatian and spainish guide. you can recruit most mercenarys cheaply and you have to be winning the war.

The Pope should be reintroduced as papal favor but no elections priest should only increase you papal favor you can get troops fomr the pope or money with more favor.

titles like king of england or king of france after all the english king wanted the kingdom of france so maybe it will be controled over how many territorys of france you control like if you control 60% percent of france you gain the title and vice versa for other factions.

better amounts of spearmen like armoured sergeants and spear militia. light knights like maybe mailed knights. more late militia tybe french armys. brugandy should have a more german itailan and swiss influnce rather than french. more diverse knight mercenarys like tetonic knights or bulgarian, byzantine, itialan, spainish, light cavalry from eastern europe, maybe even some muslim tybes.

add the faction switerland just give the germans someone to play with
    but wales was already conquered by england in the hundred years war but the baron allance was brewing around bristol, warwick, and linclon. i feel that the germans tend to be just out there and conquer the whole east of the map in the 1st few turns the nheads to kill off france can you stop this and balance it in some way?

gaunty14's Avatar Vicarius

the only error i've found is rebel gothic knights are invisible, the mounts show but the men don't

kinda cool

I think it might have been mentioned elsewhere but i'm not sure

the only 2 reccomendations from me would be more spearmen

and could you remove the swords from pikemen, so they don't switch to swords as soon as they enter combat

"will help build battle station for food" - or rep

i kinda hate this dumb mercinary stuff where you just pay there should be diffrent mercenary guilds like a flemish guild a norwgiegn guild and a itatian and spainish guide. you can recruit most mercenarys cheaply and you have to be winning the war.
    Sorry, what?
    The Pope should be reintroduced as papal favor but no elections priest should only increase you papal favor you can get troops fomr the pope or money with more favor.
    The Papal States are not on the map, so he can't be in.
    Furthermore, he has nothing to do with the whole thing. This needs to feel like a different game. Not just another MTW2 mod.
    titles like king of england or king of france after all the english king wanted the kingdom of france so maybe it will be controled over how many territorys of france you control like if you control 60% percent of france you gain the title and vice versa for other factions.
    Ermmm, the English king is called king
    better amounts of spearmen like armoured sergeants and spear militia. light knights like maybe mailed knights. more late militia tybe french armys. brugandy should have a more german itailan and swiss influnce rather than french. more diverse knight mercenarys like tetonic knights or bulgarian, byzantine, itialan, spainish, light cavalry from eastern europe, maybe even some muslim tybes.
    You will get some with the future releases. But this is a different era than the early era in which MTW2 starts. Spearmen hardly existed, the shields for example used by Sergeants in MTW2 got out of use. Same for light cavalry, armies relied on knights.
    Bulgarians, Byzantines and Muslims would just make this mod very bad. It's regional, not some whole world.
    What kind of special thing is Bulgaria anyway. It's just another country. It's not even in vanilla MTW2.
    add the faction switerland just give the germans someone to play with
    Nah, not a priority
    but wales was already conquered by england in the hundred years war but the baron allance was brewing around bristol, warwick, and linclon. i feel that the germans tend to be just out there and conquer the whole east of the map in the 1st few turns the nheads to kill off france can you stop this and balance it in some way?
    in English?

the only 2 reccomendations from me would be more spearmen

and could you remove the swords from pikemen, so they don't switch to swords as soon as they enter combat
    As I said above, the time of spearmen was over. They got out of use.
    And yes, pikemen swords will be removed

ah ok ^-^

I'll sort of comment in a roundabout way without refering to what was said (although I am refering to it, I just want to avoid doing this by quoting).

- Burgundy should have more of an italian influence:
    Well, I kind of doubt that. the original kingdom of burgundy evolved from one of the frankish kingdoms and never really reached beyond the alpine realm. Much of what is nowadays seen as a typical "rommand" characteristic, ie from western Switzerland, is in fact a burgundian relic. But it must be seen as "burgundian culture" (via french culture) influencing western Switzerland.
    Burgundy was a strong ally of France during the war, and lost importance internationally after 1378 when it was assimilated into France (but remained vitally important within the french kingdom).

- The Pope
    Although the papal shism falls within this period and one of the two popes actually resided in Avignon during this time, the catholic church only played a diminute role in the conflict. Much much more important were heretic movements inside England (e.g. Lollardy) which caused quite a good deal of unrest.

- Mercenaries
    As stig said, a clever mercenary system is being implemented. The system is strongly influenced by geography.

- Flanders, Wales.
    Both are being implemented atm. Wales was hugely important during the uprising of 1400-1415. It allied with France and attempted an alliance with Scotland.

- the HRE always moves northwards and then attacks France.
    Yes, that is natural, and this is what the HRE actually did at the time. They were allied with England.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am playing a long test campaign as France at the moment (note: this is already with a much improved version of this mod). This is one of the hardest things I have done since playing the WRE in BI. Your south is wide open, and England and Aragon advance through the entire Garonne valley to the Rhone and then move north. England stabs at you from the north. The HRE slowly eats up the northeast. My finances are in disarray.

But Savoy are my sturdy allies, and pound the HRE from the south and up the Rhone valley. My economy slowly went up beyond the point of certain death at about turn 25, as I started plundering southern english ports, exactly as the french did during the 100 year war.
    I have begun pushing back the english in the Perigord after a few vicious battles, some of them involving the spanish which actually came to help the english.

The improved AI works astonishingly well (I only altered a few but crucial things). The population does not increase stupidly as it still does in the demo, but you still get mones.

At the moment we are implementing mercenaries and cultures. twiddling and fiddling is being done. We are nearing conclusion.

I am very happy with this, it is good fun to play.
    And that is all I ever wanted.

♔Old Dragoon♔'s Avatar I'm Your Huckleberry
    Content Emeritus

Good to see on a mountain and Stig from the .com making a mod. Might have to crack this baby open.

=NF= Vasileios_the2nd's Avatar Semisalis

I think for anyone who considers himself a TW veteran or something, should play with France. As Oam said, it reminds the difficulty WRE had in BI. Very challenging!
    "Greeks dont mod like modders, modders mod like greeks." -PorkyJack
    10 new captain models (campaign map) to download

yeah, but I guess they'll all have to wait for the next version of the mod to come out for this to have the full effect.

As I said to vas yesterday, my AI adversaries are beating me like a gong, and I cry everytime I come close to my computer.

Guys I need help starting the mod
    I downloaded it into My downloads folder and then I just draged the files into the M2TW mod file. Can somehelp me?

Violator's Avatar Centenarius

Quote Originally Posted by Exploiter View Post
    Guys I need help starting the mod
    I downloaded it into My downloads folder and then I just draged the files into the M2TW mod file. Can somehelp me?
    Check ON A MOUNTAIN'S post #34 on page 02 of this thread!! it could not be more specific than that!!
    Last edited by Violator; November 29, 2008 at 02:20 AM.

Content Emeritus

I cannot even download it from fileplanet, and I registered...wtf? I must be missing something.

is your temp file full of files

as that can affect your download

If the link has stopped working I'll upload it again later today. Let me know.

Religion has been changed to cultures.
    England has a new and nicer geography (heights as well as ground cover).
    About a million minor bugs have been sorted.
    lots of artwork done (ingame imaging, pips, flash screenies etc)

work still to be done on flemish and welsh factions, mercenaries.
    We're on track.

thx stig.

Content Emeritus

New link worked fine! Thanks stig. Just started playing, and I must say nice feel, great start Things found thus far (hopefully not mentioned before).
    -check resources on map...many cannot be used by merchant. One near the Pyrenees (marble I believe) is embedded in a tree, cannot even put your cursor on it.

-did I miss something on mercenaries, can you recruit them ever on current game, or does it come later with certain tech level? I know you're implementing new merc's for future update version...just curious.

Playing England and liking it so far....omg. lots of cities! Don't know if I like all those yet. Good show gentleman...good show overall. Will report more if found. Cheers!

thanks a lot Dragoon!

- mercs will only be in in the next published version, and I believe they will completely change how this game is played.

- England is already completely different.

- Good point about the resources. I put them in a long time ago, and the landscape has undergone so many changes in the meantime, that a lot of them might indeed be unworkable.

- We have drammatically lowered pop growth overall for the next version, so you won't have to upgrade millions of cities every turn. In fact, for most of the periond the populations dropped drammatically in real life (population loss in Europe estimated to be between one third to half in Europe to disease (the plague), famine (little ice age), and warfare (obviously the 100 year war)

- on the other hand we have upped income just a bit, to make things workable.

Thanks for the comment and the resources find!
    +rep.

Hi! I've finished my short Burgundian campaign, and here are my final observations:

a) There seems to be a misalignment between the radar map and the actual regions in the north of France and the low countries. It's only apparent in the zoomed in map (radar_map2):

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

b) Making your target faction a vassal doesn't count as defeating them for your victory conditions, although their territories still count towards your score. This is probably true in vanilla as well, but I never had the chance to see it there.

c) Burgundy's victory video is the one for Venice, which makes sense as you've used Venice's faction slot for them. I like it, personally, since there are only 5 special victory videos and the rest are generic, but you may want to change it to a generic one if you feel it's out of place.

d) Lyon had enough population to upgrade to huge city by turn 63. By turn 82 there were many large and huge cities across the map (not really relevant now that you've changed the growth rate).

e) By turn 80, England had made some conquests in southern France, but nothing serious. These were the same conquests I had mentioned from a previous date in the game, so it seems they just forgot about expanding. I know the AI behaves totally different now, but I thought I'd just report it anyway. Aragon remained neutral for the duration, and when I surprise-attacked Mont Pellier and took it (with a spy opening the gates), the Aragonese sued for a cease fire. They had about 4 full stacks clustered around their capital and almost no forces in the Mediterranean, so I guess it made sense for them. The Germans, even without the ability to train troops, expanded in the Netherlands, as did France.

f) Heretics proved very irritating, especially since some of them hung around areas of the map I couldn't see (same goes for rebels). I hope the implementation of cultures instead of religion alleviates that problem.
    Last edited by Seleucos of Olympia; November 29, 2008 at 10:57 AM.

Good going Sel.

I have started wishing the AI was a bit more placid
    Here is my campaign at turn 100 (playing as France):

Everybody is giving it stacks, my only ally is Savoy. England at some point had about 10 provinces in southern France, but I managed to push them back at the expense of losing ground in the north to the incredibly aggressive HRE.

The radar map does not seem to be a happy camper when you zoom in. There are also further instabilities related to it, but none that harm the game. Will try to figure sth out eventually.

PS: The astute observer will notice that there are seven additional provinces on this map (let's see if I remember: Geneva, Lille, Vemandois, Clermont, Cotentin, Chartres, Chalons). This makes fighting in the north much more complex, entertaining and protracted.
    Last edited by on a mountain; November 29, 2008 at 12:05 PM.

I don't know if this ahs been asked before but are there any plans for adding factions beyond the welsh and flanders? Like Ireland, Scotland or Navarre etc.

P.s. this looks awesome i can't wait for the full version
    True bread is for True Romans