Page 1 of 35 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: HundredYearsWar 0.99 - General Discussion

Default HundredYearsWar 0.99 - General Discussion

-La Guerre de Cent Ans -:- The Hundred Years War -

UPDATED VERSION 0.99 IS UP!!!

For more info head here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...51#post5446551

Most of the work for this one has been done by Vas, kudos to him!

Wales is in as emerging faction, event at around 1400
    Flandres is in from the beginning
    Several tweaks and twists
    Some surprises

DOWNLOAD LINKS:
    http://xfer11.fileplanet.com:28900/%5E8 ... _hy0.9.exe

http://www.2shared.com/file/6211767/4d5 ... _hy09.html

ENJOY!!!!

- killed about a thousand bugs
    - new ground cover map of England
    - introduction of Hunter Makoy's brilliant ultimate education mod
    - introduction of agart's large castle mod.
    - tweaked (more aggressive) AI
    - balanced (sloooooow) population growth
    - improved economy
    - increased travel distance
    - our dear friend b5draal from the NakedFanatics has actually taken a lot of time to replace religions with culture. We have now french, italian, german, flemish, welsh, english, and spanish culture. No more orthodox welsh villages! As the cultures use religion as a blueprint, we have used the little fact that some religions intensively loathe each other to place cultures accordingly.

This version ROCKS!!!

required: M2TW, patches 1.1 and 1.2.
    In case of doubt delete the map.rwm file inside data/world/maps/base

Download link: http://www.2shared.com/file/4456593/...6/HYW_v80.html

The next steps:
    Wales, Flandres, Mercenaries (yes, sorry, work on all three has been slow)

Teamleader - on a mountain
    The team: the stig, VasileiosThe2nd with contributions from =NF= the Naked Fanatics

Hello.

I thought I was never going to see the day. After we almost lost the mod during spring and summer as the stig and me were swamped in work in real life, vas and stig (in short bursts) kept going strongly, and eventually reignited my enthusiasm. The past two weeks have been hell – I paid for all the work I had not done on this mod since last year when I had sworn I would finish it.
    The finished beta is beautiful. I can not put it any other way. Enjoy!

oam

Features:

- Completely New Map of England and France with 113 regions, made from scratch. This is a large map! The overall map is about 20% larger than the original M2, with considerably more landmass
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

- Six factions: The two main combatants (england and france) and four satellites (savoy, aragon, hre, and burgundy), allying themselves to one of the main parties while pursuing their own goals.

- Starting date: 1337, ends (officially): 1453

- 2 turns per year (winter/summer).

- Navigatable rivers: four rivers (Rhine, Seine, Garonne, and Rhone) will be navigatable for fleets

- Units are only recruitable from castles, changing the way the game has to be played completely.

-historical family trees

- New unit roster:

England
    English_Knights
    Armoured_Swordsmen
    Dismounted_English_Knights
    Billmen
    Longbowmen
    Yeomen_Archers
    Peasant_Archers

France
    Chivalric_Knights
    Noble_Knights
    Gendarmes
    Dismounted_ Chivalric Knights
    Dismounted_Noble Knights
    Voulgier
    Pike_Militia
    Dismounted_French_Archers
    Crossbowmen
    Peasant_Crossbowmen

HRE
    Imperial_Knights
    Gothic_Knights
    Zweihander
    Dismounted_Imperial_Knights
    Halbert_Militia
    Pike_Militia
    Pavise_Crossbowmen
    Peasant_Crossbowmen

Burgundy
    Gendarmes
    Burgundian_Horsemen
    Burgher_Pikemen
    Burgundian_Axemen
    Halberd_Militia
    Dijon_Militia
    Longbowmen
    Pavise_Crossbow_Militia
    Peasant_ Archers

Savoy
    Italian_MAA
    Savoy_Light_Cavalry
    Zweihander
    Dismounted_Italian_MAA
    Swiss_Pikemen
    Savoy_Swordsmen
    Levy_Axemen
    Handgunners
    Pavise_Crossbowmen
    Peasant_Archers

Aragon
    Chivalric_Knights
    Jinites
    Dismounted_Chivalric_Knights
    Swordsmen_ Militia
    Almughavars
    Pike_Militia
    Pavise_Crossbowmen
    Peasant_Crossbowmen

LINK FOR DOWNLOAD: http://www.2shared.com/file/4274843/...earWar_07.html

THE OLD LINK SEEMS TO HAVE DIED! TRY THIS ONE INSTEAD:
    http://rs205.rapidshare.com/files/16...earWar_0.7.rar

• Bugfixes for all major bugs we find
    • Flanders as a faction, this one needs to be done from scratch and will take some time
    • Wales as a faction, copied entirely from Kingdoms, should not take too long, compared to other things
    • A better campaign map AI, the most difficult job
    • Mercenary units as proposed by myself, will take me some time to put in, but worth it
    • Complete unit balancing.
    • Small eye candy stuff, such as removing the tutorial button in the main menu and removing all factions we don't use from custom battles
    • Other stuff we come across

(to which the King Richard II added that due to rank the man need only be beheaded)
    Last edited by =NF= Vasileios_the2nd; August 25, 2010 at 06:04 AM.

Romanos IV's Avatar The 120th Article, § 4
    the hell outta here (Athens, European Client State of Greece)

Default Re: HundredYearsWar 0.7 - open Beta

Will try this asap!
    Under the noble patronage of Jimkatalanos

Narcos here.

Gratz on the beta release guys.

downloading now
    ...Opportunities multiply as they are seized....

Great work guys I hope your proud of your work.

great news and every faction have new skins? and is it for kingdoms?

Yes and Yes I think.

It's not for Kingdoms, it's for Vanilla MTW2 (so either 1.2 or 1.3 will do)
    It's not for Kingdoms for the simple fact that OAM has no Kingdoms ... or atleast he didn't when we started modding.

And yes, all factions have new skins. Burgundy for example has skins which have a slight Burgundish (as in the colour) tone and the HRE has the same but with black. Next to that there are all sorts of small eyecandy things, such as emblems on sleeves and back and such. Nothing too drastic to scare you away, but enough to make me (and hopefully you) go "aaaaaaw, how cute".

Pics will be uploaded later ... we have enough in our other thread (under mods in development), but not yet those from this very version.

Arto's Avatar Praefectus
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Downloading.
    Knowledge is a deadly friend, if no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see, is in the hands of fools - King Crimson's Epitaph.
    תחי מדינת ישראל

Excellent. I've been waiting for this to come out for a while now...

Viva la Defenestrate!

Great mod guys!
    Do you want feedback? If so......

- Why can we build armouries in the towns when we can't recruit from them?
    - Too few castles
    - Travel distances of characters are too short especially for agents. Takes ages to get anywhere.
    - More provinces in northern France (mainly in Brittany and Normandy) especially as this area was the main battleground for most of the HYW.
    - France accepted a truce pretty early on. Not too hard when the big cheese makes peace.
    - English towns need looking at. I had to upgrade nearly every one right at the beginning of the game.
    - Would be nice to see the date on screen.
    - Wales and a few other areas not very mountainous.
    - Can't recruit many longbowmen at beginning.
    - Upkeep costs of men-at-arms and knights too low. Not proportionate to other units.
    - Bordeaux's population mainly followed Islam and Greek Orthodox....... Ever thought about using cultures like on Britannia Campaign?
    - The province named 'The Flat Bits'..........
    - Rebel spawning is too high. Gets boring attacking small time rebels all the time.

Just a few suggestions...............
    "If you're boring, no amount of paintballing or high-speed white-water prostitution will change this."

Sounds great!

Downloading now.

Have some +rep for the release, too.

Cheers,
    D.

Retired creator of 'Das Heilige Römische Reich' - Get v. 0.7 here.
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    Visit my homepage.
    --------------------------------------------
    Proud son of jimkatalanos, grandson of Garbarsardar and father of DerDiskusWerfer and HannibalExMachina.

Beautiful mod! I'm glad to see it works just fine on v1.2!

I've started a short campaign as Burgundy to try things out and I've spotted a few bugs for your list.

a) Rebel gendarmes and rebel militia pikemen have no UI card (it shows the generic peasant) and no skins:

b) At some point in the game, that I didn't notice at once, this happened to the minimap:

When I fought a battle and returned to the campaign map it was back to normal. I'll be keeping my eyes open to see what's causing it.

Oh, and I second Emperor Basil's suggestion that rebel spawning is too high. Given the scope of the game (the villages and small towns of France) it makes little sense to have the same rebel spawn rate as vanilla M2TW.
    Last edited by Seleucos of Olympia; November 13, 2008 at 04:13 PM.

- Why can we build armouries in the towns when we can't recruit from them?
    We haven't been bothered to take them out (ie. was not a main priority and things tend to go wrong when we take things out)
    - Too few castles
    I know it feels like this, but with the next release you will be able to recruit from about 40 mercenary units, and these will take over the main army role for you. Castles will be there so you can recruit your elite base and steady units. The plan is to make everything less vertile so that towns don't grow from 2000 to 20000 in what would be only 75 years. With that only a certain size of town can be transverted into castle.
    As for recruitment, we plan to make something like a mercenary guild, which allows you to recruit mercenaries in settlements.
    - Travel distances of characters are too short especially for agents. Takes ages to get anywhere.
    Yes, I think so myself too, now it takes about a year to walk from Brussels to Egmond (which is round and about Amsterdam), also greater walking distances will improve AI behaviour.
    - More provinces in northern France (mainly in Brittany and Normandy) especially as this area was the main battleground for most of the HYW.
    That actually was a question I asked OAM as well
    I think we might take some from South France and put them in the north ... especially if we want Flanders and maybe Brittany in.
    - France accepted a truce pretty early on. Not too hard when the big cheese makes peace.
    That's not the idea of a war is it
    The AI will be worked on ... so that France and England will hate eachother and never want to sign peace
    - English towns need looking at. I had to upgrade nearly every one right at the beginning of the game.
    I believe population is a rather copy pasted default, will be lowered if it would be up to me
    - Would be nice to see the date on screen.
    That'll be easy and in the next release (though I prefer turns myself)
    - Wales and a few other areas not very mountainous.
    Well, compared to the Alps they aren't, and OAM used a modern day height map to make this ... though I too saw a bit of a difference in both regions
    - Can't recruit many longbowmen at beginning.
    Will be changed with mercenaries and the like
    - Upkeep costs of men-at-arms and knights too low. Not proportionate to other units.
    Yup, units are not balanced that, for that we need MP and SP feedback
    - Bordeaux's population mainly followed Islam and Greek Orthodox....... Ever thought about using cultures like on Britannia Campaign?
    We're going to, dunno if anyone of us posted about it here, but we are going to ... but for now they're pagan and such to make them a little bit more rebellious (you will find many of these in the area around Savoyese lands, and this also is the main reason the AI spams priests.
    - The province named 'The Flat Bits'..........
    I thought that was rather funny
    - Rebel spawning is too high. Gets boring attacking small time rebels all the time.
    Have not looked into that yet, seemed ok to me, but I played as Savoy.

a) Rebel gendarmes and rebel militia pikemen have no UI card (it shows the generic peasant) and no skins
    This is correct, the rebel faction has none of these units and thus they are invisible on the battlefield. We'll either put them in as units or take them out completely (I think the last will happen, next to that all mercenaries will become rebel units as well, and some units will be added to the rebels (such as pikemen, as they were kinda important in the era))
    b) At some point in the game, that I didn't notice at once, this happened to the minimap:
    Yup, correct. We don't know how to solve it really .... hell I don't even know what causes it.

Thanks for the feedback guys ... bring up some more
    +rep

=NF= Vasileios_the2nd's Avatar Semisalis

Very nice to see all this feedback guys! Thank you very much!

Stig has already answered most "point-outs", but I'd like to ask you what do you think about the graphical feeling of the mod. Do you like the graphical changes?

For anyone who plays France, he should know that France is supposed to be probably the most difficult faction in the beginning, and this is kinda represented by the very small number of the castles there. Ofc almost nothing is really balanced atm, but wanted you to know. Oh, and I'd really like to know if you had any real trouble with rebeling french generals.

Keep it up! :tacticalw

and is it for kingdoms?
    We didn't make it for kingdoms. It mods the vanilla game. But if you have installed kingdoms already, it should not create any conflict or other problem. Should still run ok
    Last edited by =NF= Vasileios_the2nd; November 13, 2008 at 08:28 PM.
    "Greeks dont mod like modders, modders mod like greeks." -PorkyJack
    10 new captain models (campaign map) to download

loet66's Avatar Senator

Hi,

This mod seems very nice.

For a french people like me It's a real pleasure to see that kind of stuff.

+ rep.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Thanks stiggles for answering the questions.

Here a bit more input:

- Remember this is a beta. We know there are issues with travelling distances and AI balancing, and they are being worked on right now. I will increase travel distance but not too dramatically, as otherwise the map loses its large map feel.
    The AI balancing is a priority. I personally think that the AI we have right now (vanilla) is almost comatose at times. I attack cities, there is a nearby army, and they do nothing to come to the rescue of the city.

- The mountain heights are drawn from a satellite image. They are as they are in the real world. In fact, I have already downsized the alps quite a bit, because they were simply ridiculous. I might exagerate Wales and other areas (eg the Pennines) a bit more for the final release.

- The region size is a difficult conundrum. The great majority of regions on the map are historic. I already have artificially split up some regions to make the conquest more interesting. I am sure we will introduce some more regions for the final issue.

- There are some maddening things going on with graphics, but they are not a priority, as they do not cause ctd.

- Replacing religion for cultures is a very high priority. We made a lot of regions islamic and orthodox simply so they would rebel. A year ago, before the release of kingdoms, that was the only thing we could do.

so much for now. we will keep you all updated.

Looks spicy! I’m a big fan of regional campaigns, which are so unique and different from grand campaigns. Could you please post some nice screenies presenting map and units? Once again – great work!

I will, since OAM seems slow as always

- 6 Factions (3 new ones):

- New unit rosters:

- New textures:

- New UI:

I beg to differ. I am not slow, just as thick as a plank.

Good! I'll try it this night. Thanks

Page 1 of 35 123456789101126 ... LastLast