Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Balbus/Caelinus

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Balbus/Caelinus

The Praetor rubs his temples and wags his head. Why take these measures? What state of emergency are we in?

Decimus Junius Aquila rises and takes the floor, pulling back the edge of his purple-bordered toga praetexta with his left hand and raising his right in his favorite speaking posture.

Conscript Fathers,

It is with great pleasure that I, your humble Quaestor, inform you our Republic is in a fit condition to wage war with Carthage. That said, I press you to take steps to ensure we remain financially secure for the duration of the conflict. We will invariably lose a great deal of income from tariffs when our shores close to Carthaginian goods and theirs to ours, but I am fully confident that we can compensate for this.

Firstly, let us wish Godspeed to our diplomatic envoy currently journeying south along the Illyrian coast towards the Greek mainland. Trade with the Hellenes will certainly help compensate for our losses, but in and of itself this is not enough.

I thus propose we raise taxes throughout all of Etruria, Umbria, Latium, Apulia, and Campania. Public order will be of no consequence except in the city of Capua, an issue that can easily be resolved by ordering the garrison of Accensi currently residing in Arpi to march west. This town is small and not in need of so large a garrison—quite unlike its Campanian neighbors.

These additional funds will ensure two things: First, that the gallant and most illustrious Consul M. Atilivs Balbvs, whom I only name to do him honor, will have the necessary funds to conduct operations in Southern Italia and Sicilia on behalf of the Senate and People of Rome; and second, that all men—not only our courageous legionaries—may have the honor of contributing to the war effort.

Do what you will with these proposals. If they recieve signifigant backing in the Curia I suggest one of the Consuls put a formalized bill to the vote.

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

Indeed you are right Quaestor. We will need higher taxes.

It may not be popular, yet neither is being insulted by Carthage. We must in these dark times enforce higher taxes, lest we be destoryed by the Punic dogs.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

Indeed, I had recommended tax raises in the region during my term as Quaestor and the situation has not changed since then. The south will be given considerable developments and will live in complete peace after we have done away with Carthage, anyway. For the plebs, such tax raises are merely... an investment,
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I do not support giving the Consul command over the allied nations as I have made clear. These nations are the allies of Rome, and should only be called on by a vote of the Senate. That is my philosophy and I will stick with it.

The Senate should be the sole sovereign in all of Italy. Not a magistrate with a Senatorial decree to near unlimited power, no matter how good or just his intentions. I fear that this vote may set unnecessarily dangerous precedent for future conflicts.

I must also strongly protest against the bestowing of such names as "illustrious and gallant" upon our consul. He is not a monarch, simply a servant of the will of the Senate, and deserves not these titles.

Lastly, I must support the tax increase offered, but only if there is a strict timetable on the measure. It is in the best interests of the people that their personal prosperity not be consistently hampered by governmental necessity, and taxes remaining higher for a single day longer than need be is an affront to the prosperity of the people.
    Last edited by Winter; November 13, 2008 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Censor, this is the greatest conflict we have ever seen. We and the Carthaginians, the two greatest powers in this region, are going to come to a vicious and bitter war. It will, by all probability, be the most important moment for Rome that any of us sat here in this house will witness. Our lands have been invaded by a hostile foe, and so I can think of no more fitting situation to bestow Imperium upon our most honest and trustworthy Consul Balbus. We shall make sure that in the future it is not used for any lowly figure fighting unruly mobs. But for now, it seems madness not to do so.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

It simply worries me senator, that at the first contact with an enemy force we must abandon our constitutional authority over half of the Republic and give extraordinary powers to a single man. It says much about a government when it cannot remain in control even in the beginning of a conflict.

Do not get me wrong, I do not see a problem with the Consul having jurisdiction over his troops and the traditional Imperium - the ability to raise mercenaries, etc. But to sign away control of two of our new allied states seems most concerning to me as a Roman.

It simply worries me senator, that at the first contact with an enemy force we must abandon our constitutional authority over half of the Republic and give extraordinary powers to a single man. It says much about a government when it cannot remain in control even in the beginning of a conflict.
    Constitutional authority? Where? In the war?

Rome has always given the Consuls extraordinary powers to wage wars, Censor, since the founding of our city. It is within the tenants of the Mos Maiorum to do so and it shall be done again. The war is not for the dabbling of several men, but for the firm command of those entrusted by the People and the Senate! Let it be known that our Consuls, from Lucius Junius Brutus to our times, have always known the thin but visible line between despotism and military command by necessity. Let us not further interfere with their solid and traditional powers under the law or else not one but our foes will gain advantages with our indecision!

The Senate otherwise remains in full control of the Republic and the affairs of Rome and Italia. If we can't trust our elected officials thanks to this "kingship" complex as shown by a faction of this House, then we better not elect any of them at all. It is their duty as elected men and they will accomplish it for the greater good of us, and not against us.

And in regards to the tax increases, let me say that I will not move against this for now. But let me make it clear that the Plebeians of the city of Rome, whom I am sworn to protect, will remain with lower taxes for the duration of the war and that will not interfere with our income. Furthermore, the tax increase will have to last as long as the war does and then be reverted back to peacetime levels once the Carthaginian matter is settled wherever it is applied. This is the only way I can support such increase for the protection of the men who work hard for their lives and don't need extra burdens more than the necessary!

Edit - To clarify matters, Cotta demands that Rome remains with Medium level taxes or whatever the pre-war level was while the rest of Republic might see a tax increase, but only for the duration of the war.
    Last edited by Marie Louise von Preussen; November 13, 2008 at 07:32 PM.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

I agree, Senator Cotta. These funds are needed to pay for a war and so when the war ends, so shall the tax increase.

Noble Tribune and most esteemed Censor, your concern for your constituencies is admirable. I can assure you that such tax increases as I propose are temporary and will be set to expire the moment victory over Carthage is complete. You need not worry that the burden will be unevenly distributed--all will contribute to the cause, including myself, perhaps the most humble of all senators in this body. That includes all good Romans, not just the socii.

As Tribune of the people i can tell you that all who don`t currently serve wish to help our Republic in this war, the people wan`t the matter dealt with, i therefore support a temporary tax increase for the duration of the war, but no longer.
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

I also support a tax increase. I will gladly pay more money, temporarily, to ensure that vicotry over Carthage may be had. The wealth of Rome will quickly multiply itself when the war is over, and with lowered taxes at that time, Romans may begin to once again strengthen their financial position. Carthage controls rich ports, but once in our control, they will exponentially increase the income of the state.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

The problem here, is that though us senators and our people of Rome may be willing to pay more tax as we readily understand the situation that we are in, I do not think our allied nations, plus the socii allies, fully appreciate what we are dealing with. Right now, I suspect another tax raise will result in our allied peoples thinking we are greedy, and therefore becoming disgruntled and rebellious. We do need further income, but I am not sure if a tax raise is the right solution to such a matter.

I will once again move for this House to take concrete action, this time about taxes. I assume the plan I laid out was good enough, so I propose that:

I. The tax rate of all cities and provinces of the Res Publica, including the allied ones, be set to "High".
    II. That the city of Rome and area comprising the Latium Romanum will be exempt from such increase and will keep taxes at "Medium" rates.
    III. That all tax increases specified here be conducted immediately and shall last for the duration of the war, when the tax rate over the Res Publica will be lowered to pre-war Medium levels.

Furthermore, an additional safety provision:

IV. The Consuls, the Quaestor of Rome or whoemever is in charge of increasing the taxes may disregard this madated tax increase in certain constituencies and cities if safety and public order levels suffer too much as a result. He shall inform the Senate of his decisions immediately.

I am sure that the Socii will cooperate. The defense of the Res Publica is their defense, after all.
    Last edited by Marie Louise von Preussen; November 14, 2008 at 10:56 AM.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

I believe a tax raise to "High" was already implemented in the previous term. Perhaps we should ask our Quaestor or Consul to check?

Let's check it and update if it's the case.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I do not support giving the Consuls oversight over lowering taxes with only so much as a notification of the Senate required, let alone the Quaestor. Let this power reside with the Senate where it belongs!

I would vote against such a proposal because:

1. The tax rate is already at high everywhere except Rome where it is medium.

2. I never proposed raising the taxes on our allies in Magna Graecia who cannot withstand the burden in their current circumstances. This is a fact we simply cannot get around without annexing them and moving in large garrisons.

The notion of increasing taxes seems to have considerable support, we merely disagree on the specifics, namely whether or not Roma should have to match the socii in tax rate.

Here is a modified proposal taking into account current tax rates (thank you Tribune Cotta for putting it into writing):

I. Increase the tax rates in all provinces under the hegemony of the SPQR (e.g., all but our allies in Kalabria and Bruttium) to "very high". [Possibly add clause exempting Latium if the Senate wills it]

II. That all tax increases specified here be conducted immediately and shall last for the duration of the war, when the tax rate over the Res Publica will be lowered to pre-war “high” levels.

III. The Consuls, the Quaestor of Rome or whomever is in charge of increasing the taxes may disregard this mandated tax increase in certain constituencies and cities if safety and public order levels suffer too much as a result. He shall inform the Senate of his decisions immediately.

They will merely execute the decrees of the Senate in this regard, Censor Lepidus. Besides, the Senate might review exceptional situations specifically and reorder a change in taxes when needed.

I. Increase the tax rates in all provinces under the hegemony of the SPQR (e.g., all but our allies in Kalabria and Bruttium) to "very high". [Possibly add clause exempting Latium if the Senate wills it]

II. That all tax increases specified here be conducted immediately and shall last for the duration of the war, when the tax rate over the Res Publica will be lowered to pre-war “high” levels.

III. The Consuls, the Quaestor of Rome or whomever is in charge of increasing the taxes may disregard this mandated tax increase in certain constituencies and cities if safety and public order levels suffer too much as a result. He shall inform the Senate of his decisions immediately.
    Well, given that the fact I based myself on old reports, I support this ammended motion if it includes a tax exemption to Latium.
    Last edited by Marie Louise von Preussen; November 14, 2008 at 03:50 PM.

OoC: Did not see Dr. Cox's Winter's post.

Ic: I happen to agree with the Censor. Taxation is not a matter to be left in my hands or that of the Consuls, much though I do respect them. I therefore propose we strike the third clause from the bill and replace it with the following (which will, I am certain, entirely prevent the need to reduce taxes due to public unrest in the first place):

III. The unit of Accensi currently garrisoning Arpi shall immediately march west to reinforce the garrison at Capua in order to ensure the proper maintenance of public order.

I can assure this body that Capua is the only city in need of such a measure.
    Last edited by Sir James the Good; November 14, 2008 at 03:54 PM.