Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Balbus/Caelinus

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Default Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Balbus/Caelinus

Temple of Vesta, Forum Boarium

MAGISTRATA IN ANNO 485 A.U.C.
    (Magistrates in the year 485 ab urbe condite - 268 B.C.)

CONSULES

OPPIVS AVLVS CAELINVS ET MARCUS ATILIUS BALBUS

CENSOR
    LUCIUS AURELIUS LEPIDUS

PRAETORES
    CAIUS SCIPIO ET CAEUS FLAVIVS CRASSVS

TRIBUNIS PLEBIS
    DECIMUS AVRELIVS COTTA ET MARCUS CLAUDIUS CLARUS

QUAESTOR
    DECIMVS IVNIVS AQVILIA

---------

Save advancement schedule for this term:
    Monday 10th, Friday 14th, Monday 17th, Friday 21st

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Balbus/Caelinus

Senators, seeing as both the Censor and my senior Consul are both not here, I shall open this term. Senators, immediate concern must be given to the attack on the rebel and Carthaginian forces in our territory, our Sicily-campaign, our forces have been recruited as per the Motion, and our cities are in good shape. We shall need a economic report from Quastor Aquilia as soon as possible, in order to asses our economic strength this term.
    So, with our forces ready, economy stable and our cities happy, the first things I believe are important are as thus.
    1. Which legion led by whom attacks what forces when? Driving these men out of our lands has been accepted in the motion, therefore this must be done as soon as we can. Discussing this must be done as soon as the senators are here.
    2. Where shall we strike in Sicily? For this, we shall need information regarding the cities and armies in Sicily. This must be done by spies, which we must bring to Sicily, therefore we need both spies and ships. The ships will also be used for transporting the legions.
    3. Our economy. Stable but fragile, we must look to the future, and what we need. Therefore, a report from the Quastor is needed.

Senators, right now this is all I can think of. As always, discuss and bring forward your views and opinions.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Firstly, may I congratulate the Censor, Consuls, Praetors, Tribunes and the Quaestor for their election victories. May your term be prosperous and your counsel be wise.

And in response to Senator Caelinus, I agree that information on Sicily's defences is of paramount importance. We need intelligence reports immediately. Has the house considered the possibility of nominating a Senator to take charge of Roman intelligence?
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Ah yes, I apologise senators. Congratulations to all those elected, may this term prove to be fortuitious for you.
    I am not sure if it is neccesary to appoint a senator to do that. We do not have an extensive network of spies, before we attack we shall need to remove the forces in our lands anyway. So we have time to scout Sicily, we need not send many spies who need to be overlooked by a senator.
    Of course, if there is a senator who wishes to take care of this, I say let him do so.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Congratulations to the winners of our elections. May they prosper this year in the positions.

About the military plans of our Republic, I remember that the legion under our former Praetor was to attack the the rebels in the east of our peninsula, and the second newly raised legion was to be led by a consul to attack the Carthaginians forces this term.

Senator Scipio is still a Praetor, Senator. There is no reason for him to surrender control of the legion.

And Senator Caelinus, since there are no pressing issues for me to deal with, and if Scipio is to keep control of the legion, I would be happy to oversee it. However, I take your point, and feel that it may at this time simply clog up the process. Perhaps in the future, when our network of spies and informers is larger, it will be a better time to appoint such a man.
    Last edited by Lord Kal; November 09, 2008 at 12:25 PM.

Then we shall await the coming of the senior Consul to discuss which one of us leads the legion. Praetor Scipio shall lead the forces against the insurgents.
    Last edited by Selifator; November 09, 2008 at 12:26 PM.

Elendil of Númenor's Avatar Campidoctor

It is good to see that Rome is in the hands of wise men this year, too. I agree with Consul Caelinus and Praetor Crassus - we need information about Carthage's armies deployed in Sicily if we are to deploy our own ones. We will need spies. I know a Roman fellow who can be usually found in Rome's taverns around the Subura. He would be willing to gather information about Messana and most of Sicily, for a price, of course. That price can be low if a friend like me gives him the mission. What say you, Conscript Fathers?

Senators, judging by the Carthaginian threat, a command by the Senior Consul would be most suitable.

Alas, the importance of the Sicilian Campaign shall not be overestimated. We should direct our entire offensive effort towards that island, and gather all reports we can. Later I would not be against lauching a campaign against Sardinia and Corsica, to take away the last Carthaginian bases capable of threatening us.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

- Flavius Vegetius Renatus (in Epitoma Rei Militari, ca. 390)

Our campaign is purely against Sicily. Though Sardinia and Corsica have strategical importance, besides having a port and supplying Carthiginian navies, they do not reach the importance of Sicily. If our Legions can do so, we can assault them later on, if Carthage does not see the folly of their incursion on our grounds and the penalties that it holds. If they do, and ask for peace, then we shall not assault.
    But that is all for a later time to decide.
    Last edited by Selifator; November 09, 2008 at 12:37 PM.

The invasion of Corsica and Sardinia comes with many pros and cons, Senator Cotta.

Primarily, the advantages are that they are extremely lax in defence and will not need a full legion to subdue, they have the potential to be important ports in the future, their proximity to our great city is a threat worthy of neutralisation and they would help swing the tide against Carthage, overtaking their economy and denying them use of a valuable port to supply and repair their ships.

Chief among the disadvantages are that we will need a navy to get there. And this opens up a whole other debate that we have had many times before.

This is not a problem, Praetor Crassus. The issue at hand is Sicily, our first priority. If the Senate deems adequate we might send a reduced amount of men, say half a legion, to conquer the islands, then so be it. Let it be clear that I would be in complete favour of making both Sicily and Sardinia et Corsica Propraetorships of rome, and maybe put the Sardinian army under a Praetor's command given the smaller gravity of the issue.

The navy is not a big concern at all. Any navies we might raise to attack overseas areas must of temporary character due to their expense, and I believe that would address the issue of financial shortcomings for our expeditions.
    "Romans not only easily conquered those who fought by cutting, but mocked them too. For the cut, even delivered with force, frequently does not kill, when the vital parts are protected by equipment and bone. On the contrary, a point brought to bear is fatal at two inches; for it is necessary that whatever vital parts it penetrates, it is immersed. Next, when a cut is delivered, the right arm and flank are exposed. However, the point is delivered with the cover of the body and wounds the enemy before he sees it."

Well I had argued in the Senate before that if the war against Carthage is really about the security of our Republic, it would be madness to leave such a base alone. From what I have seen of our economy as Quaestor, I firmly believe that we should have more than enough money for a temporary transport fleet and half a legion once we have conquered Sicily. I would of course be honoured to deliver the islands to the Senate and People of Rome were I asked.

Of course, this is all hypothetical. We should discuss this once the war has progressed further. It is a rare plan that survives contact with the enemy, after all, and we should turn our minds to the task at hand,

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

Greetings countrymen, it seems that work has developed at a pace even before I have arrived. It is of course an interesting proposal of yours Cotta, but I am not willing to risk thousands of men in merchant vessels no matter where they are being sent. If they cannot be sent safely and by dependable naval ships, then they should remain here.

ooc: Save please, let's have a look at the republic.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

The Graeci of Bythinia, Pergamon and Athenai use temporary fleets. We could learn from them, and I would back a bill for a temporary transport fleet. Now on to business, let us confer if our Sicilian force is properly fit for the task. Carthage is a tough nut to crack.

but I am not willing to risk thousands of men in merchant vessels no matter where they are being sent
    For Jupiter's sake, Consul. It's a close travel, and many of our merchants do it every year; if we travel on Spring and return them before the winter storms they will be perfectly safe.

Yes Cotta, but those fleets would be protected by a naval force. The ferries may well carry the troops, but without protection then you sentence men to death! Anyway, onto Sicily and the south.

Men, there is no problem of numbers or quality in the war with Carthage, but the logistics. To keep men fed and happy(the rationing traits), but also to replenish numbers will be a notably difficult job so far from home. If I am to go to war with Carthage and cross into Sicily, then I shall need reinforcements en route before I even land in Sicily. I am not asking for a legion, but just some men to help make up the numbers like some men from Bruttium and Samnium.

A request from the Italian Socii would be proper enough, Consul.

The supply problem can be solved through living off the Sicilian land, which is rich enough to support an army during the good months.

What are the recruitment options available to us in the south? Clearly Rhegion is ideally positioned to be a supply base.

At the moment, we cannot train anyone in Rhegion (correct?) and men will have to come from furthur north. At least for the time being. (note for those that don't know, Romans can only be recruited in Rome)

Were they not made formal allies of Rome? What else must we do there before we have their tangible military support?

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast