Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Last Kingdom - FACTION PREVIEW / SCOTLAND

BrodY's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: The Last Kingdom - FACTION PREVIEW / SCOTLAND

Wasn't the scottish people known as Picts during this time? Maybe I'm wrong.

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

Quote Originally Posted by BrodY View Post
    Wasn't the scottish people known as Picts during this time? Maybe I'm wrong.
    naw, by this time the gaelic/irish kingdoms/tribes of the west coast and the pictish tribes/kingdoms of the east had been unified into one kingdom, one that was actually stengthened by the viking invasions and raids as they were forced to work together against them.

i think thats it anyway

True, this period is kinda weird though because the history of Scotland at the start date of the mod has a lot of contradictory information.

Scotland was in the middle of a period of great change, the Picts still existed but were being absorbed into one culture with the Gaelic, Brythonic, Anglo-Saxon, and Viking cultures that all either existed or were beginning to arrive in the same area.

As I recall the king of Scotland at this time was still called something along the lines of Rex Pictorum, meaning King of the Picts, but it was a Pictish kingdom nominally only. The Gaels, and to a lesser extent the Anglo-Saxons, had been mixing with the Picts for some time until they really started becoming their own new culture.

BTW, I'm no expert on Scottish history, so I'm probably not 100% accurate, but this is what I've found in the last 2-3 years of research for this mod

IrishBlood's Avatar GIVE THEM BLIZZARDS!

Quote Originally Posted by GatorMarine1833 View Post
    True, this period is kinda weird though because the history of Scotland at the start date of the mod has a lot of contradictory information.

Scotland was in the middle of a period of great change, the Picts still existed but were being absorbed into one culture with the Gaelic, Brythonic, Anglo-Saxon, and Viking cultures that all either existed or were beginning to arrive in the same area.

As I recall the king of Scotland at this time was still called something along the lines of Rex Pictorum, meaning King of the Picts, but it was a Pictish kingdom nominally only. The Gaels, and to a lesser extent the Anglo-Saxons, had been mixing with the Picts for some time until they really started becoming their own new culture.

BTW, I'm no expert on Scottish history, so I'm probably not 100% accurate, but this is what I've found in the last 2-3 years of research for this mod
    aye i think your right, i've done a fair amount of reserch into it too, more out of general interest then anything else

BrodY's Avatar Semisalis

Ah! That clarified that one for me then. well, I still look forward to play this one.

FREEEEEEEEDOOOOOM!!!!!!!
    The GREAT news!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    GOD died on the cross for YOUR sins!
    Check it out!

PM me with any questions.

Celtichugs123's Avatar Senator

The Kingdom itself was called the Kingdom of Alba. The Picts as a people ofcourse, still exited and called themselves Picts - especially in places like now-a-day Ross-Shire (Where I live ). However, the first King of Alba ( NOT Cínaed Mac Ailpín, but his nephew) was, along with his cousin, brought up in Ireland and hence had a Gaelic up bringing, learning Gaelic language and customs. This was becouse Cínaed's highest ranking Warlord ( I think ) took the title of over lord of the Picts and sent the two heirs away. However, the two returned and reclaimed Kingship, bringing with them Gaelic culture and people. The people they brought were Gaels, Norse-Geals and Norse from the Kingdom of the Isles and Ireland. With this, the Picts effectively remained 'Picts' but with Gaelic customs. The term Pictland or Scotland or Alba for this time-frame would all be suitable. Although, in today terms Scotland, moreso the Highlands, is still greatly 'Celtic' and we often accosiate ourselves with being 'Pictish' as opposed to Scots-Geals, or what have you!

Hope this clears anything, most of what I said has already been said and may be a lil skew-if. But, I hope the point of view from a Hielan'er will help!
    Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

“For myself, I find I become less cynical rather than more--remembering my own sins and follies; and realize that men's hearts are not often as bad as their acts, and very seldom as bad as their words.”
    - J.R.R Tolkien

Great Work on the units

Skinner&Modeller of Shizoku no Sensō and East of Rome | My Workshop |

Is Scotland steered more towards Pictish rather than Irish-Scots Gaelic? because the Picts are cool and where still around in the ninth century.

A perfect balance between the two Celtic peoples who make the Scots of this time period, the Gaelic Celts and Brythonic Celts.
    Last edited by Celtichugs123; June 28, 2011 at 06:07 PM.
    Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

“For myself, I find I become less cynical rather than more--remembering my own sins and follies; and realize that men's hearts are not often as bad as their acts, and very seldom as bad as their words.”
    - J.R.R Tolkien

Emperor Napoleon's Avatar Libertus

So your saying that the scottish are pretty much Picts today just with gaelic-irish customs, i find that hard to believe surely they must at the very least be a mix of picts and gaels with gaelic culture etc prevailing over pictish traditions etc?

"You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's
    ranks."

- Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte

Most Pictish traditions are pretty much gone today. Vikings from the east, Geals from the west.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Napoleon View Post
    So your saying that the scottish are pretty much Picts today just with gaelic-irish customs, i find that hard to believe surely they must at the very least be a mix of picts and gaels with gaelic culture etc prevailing over pictish traditions etc?
    Sorry, could you reword that mate? You've pritty much said the exact same thing in both parts of your comment.

Scots today are a mix of Gaelic, Brythonic, Germanic (both Viking and Anglo-Saxon) and Norman heritage. Although Scottish Gaelic culture is distinct from that of Irish Gaelic culture it is still fairly origonal Gaelic based. The only physical 'Pictishness'/Brythonic we have are Pictish Stones, but Scots today still have Brythonic/Pictish heritage.

In the Mod, this is a time just after huge upheval in Pictland. Pictland has only just been Gaelic'ized, Gaelic would become the language of the nobility while the Brythonic the Picts spoke would still remain within the lower classes.
    Last edited by Celtichugs123; June 29, 2011 at 07:02 AM.
    Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

- J.R.R Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Celtichugs123 View Post
    Sorry, could you reword that mate? You've pritty much said the exact same thing in both parts of your comment.

Scots today are a mix of Gaelic, Brythonic, Germanic (both Viking and Anglo-Saxon) and Norman heritage. Although Scottish Gaelic culture is distinct from that of Irish Gaelic culture it is still fairly origonal Gaelic based. The only physical 'Pictishness'/Brythonic we have are Pictish Stones, but Scots today still have Brythonic/Pictish heritage.

In the Mod, this is a time just after huge upheval in Pictland. Pictland has only just been Gaelic'ized, Gaelic would become the language of the nobility while the Brythonic the Picts spoke would still remain within the lower classes.
    lol in the first part of my comment i asked you were you saying scots today are just picts with gaelic language and customs and in the second part of my comment i was saying that it was hard to believe and that surely they hav to be atleast a mixture of gaelic and pictish people

ranks."

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Napoleon View Post
    lol in the first part of my comment i asked you were you saying scots today are just picts with gaelic language and customs and in the second part of my comment i was saying that it was hard to believe and that surely they hav to be atleast a mixture of gaelic and pictish people
    Aha! I see, sorry man! My bad

Well, as I say in my previous post the Scots are a mix of Germanic peoples, Brynothic Celts, Gaelic Celts and Normans. At this time, the period the Mod is set, they are mainly a mix of Brythonic and Angles.

Although the Scots are a Gealic people, our heritage is not that much influance by actual Irish/Gaelic blood. The Gaelicization happened so soundly and quickly becouse Canstantine II was raised in a Gaelic Lords household, becoming a Gaelic Prince. When he returned to Pictland he brought the Gaelic customs. Although, as we know, Gaelic Irish peoples did move to Scotland (Dál Raida etc) that was mainly focused on the West. As such, the actual percentage of the population, of this time-period and after, with Irish blood was little.

Infact, larger diaspora of Irish came in much later centuries.
    Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

- J.R.R Tolkien

Ok i understand now thanks for the info

ranks."

Awesome video, I cant wait this mod :/

check your history...scotland is gaelic not celtic. also the units look very pictish which is before the kingdom of scotland was recognized.

danova's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Andles17 View Post
    check your history...scotland is gaelic not celtic. also the units look very pictish which is before the kingdom of scotland was recognized.
    Again!
    Check you this thread's old posts ...

Lol mate...

Check your history. Gaelic IS Celtic as is Brythonic. Scotland, or Alba is Gaelic by culture and language alone. The only Gaelic 'blood' lies in the West Coast and Western Highlands, or in the Nobles. Scotland, or Alba was Gaelicized through institionalization through a Pictish, or Albannach King being raised in a Gaelic court.

And your realise that during this Mods time-frame is has litterally only just been known as Alba. So, what? You are saying all Brythonic culture vanished instantaniously? Wrong. I suggest you learn a little about your history, my friend.

But, my main concern is that fact you think Gaelic or the Gaels arn't/weren't Celtic?...
    Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

- J.R.R Tolkien

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast