Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Seleucid Empire - Faction Guide

Default Re: The Seleucid Empire - Faction Guide

In first 2 turns attack Sidon and Susa,take them and if you are a good player you don't have to worry about anything!

fourganger's Avatar Semisalis

I always thought it strange that in RTW, the Seleucids get owned if they are AI controlled, yet in RTR and other mods they are one of the most powerful factions. The addition of their lands in the east of modern day Iran do make a big difference.
    Whatcha' wearing?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Daddy smells leather...

I think Egypt is not that difficult to tackle as their general is mounted on a chariot, and they suck at street fights.
    Playing as the Seleucid, the most well defended territories should be Hatra, and Selucia. Taking Susa early is good idea, so is taking sidon, but the best idea is to capture athens, which is a rebel settlement in the first two turns, and can be done with mercs found in the area. Then, capture Crete Island, and your economy is steady.
    Hatra faces armenia which comes with two cataphracts, and very good missile generals. And their eastern infantry can beat millitia hoptile, so go for levy pikeman.
    Lastly, if you are outnumbered, you can put your forces in the corner of the map which prevents the phalanx being flanked. Just dont stretch them too far.
    To beat egypt, take cyprus, and attack alexandria from there.

The rest is easy.

Chicken's Avatar Senator

capture athens ASAP?

hmmm, thats an idea i havent thought of

i might try that....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hakomar View Post
    Your dancing chicken is hypnotising me.

no wonder i lost i just attacked everyone i didn't care i just needed terretory and they al wanted mine

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

How i should manage this because I am only Seleucik vs Egypt, Parthia, Armenia and Pontus alliance? They are pushing me so hard. I am attacking to Pontus on strong full stack. East side I have 2nd full army waiting Armenia charge. Deep east I have just army to hold Parthia army.
    South is in bad. Egypt have many armies and they are knocking my faction's balls soon.

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Some more information would be helpful. What year is it? What territory do you control? What units do you have and what can you recruit?

Noif de Bodemloze's Avatar The Protector of Art
    Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Genius of the Restoration View Post
    Some more information would be helpful. What year is it? What territory do you control? What units do you have and what can you recruit?
    Year is 263 BC, I still control all starter cities + Halicarnnicus + 2 old rebels cities near Egypt area. My capital, Antioch is 3rd level and rest other on 2nd level, so i can hire quite good phalans (2nd level phalanx units), 1st lvl elephants, Pelfasts, javelin horses etc... South area is quite weak area on me as I have gathering 3rd strong army on Antioch. Egypt's Sidon is weakly defended, but near Jerusalem Egypt have many small and 1 half stack army. Damascus have not good defences, still weak units and just started recruiting step level better phalanxs. North is side is going well, East so so that i can deal Prathia and South is weak link on me.

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

Okay. Egypt is the hardest to take out, but once you do the rest should be much easier. Take a single elephant unit for dealing with Chariot Generals and make an army of Militia Cav and Levy Pikes (if you've can get them. It doesn't really matter if you use Militia Hoplites because they have a bigger shield and better stats that will help against missile-heavy Egypt). Don't worry about taking all the Egyptian settlements, just take the ones on the coast and head straight towards the Nile. Those settlements are notoriously ill-defended. Once you've taken one of those settlements, Egypt usually will stop sending stacks of troops to attack you in the north.

Battlefield tactics against early Egypt should be to work your javcav around behind their phalanx to weaken them before engaging with your own phalanx. Make sure you bring plenty of javcav though, because Egypt usually brings a lot of skirmishers and an army with 6-8 javcav will defeat that portion of the enemy stack easily. Investing in an Archery Range will help against Pontus because they tend to use Scythed Chariots that you can amok with fire arrows (Egypt's chariots don't run amok). Exterminating the Nile settlements will give you tens of thousands of denarii, so do that to finance your war against the other factions once Egypt is taken care of. You don't really have to take all of Egypt's settlements, because without the Nile and Jerusalem they don't really do much.

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Genius of the Restoration View Post
    Okay. Egypt is the hardest to take out, but once you do the rest should be much easier. Take a single elephant unit for dealing with Chariot Generals and make an army of Militia Cav and Levy Pikes (if you've can get them. It doesn't really matter if you use Militia Hoplites because they have a bigger shield and better stats that will help against missile-heavy Egypt). Don't worry about taking all the Egyptian settlements, just take the ones on the coast and head straight towards the Nile. Those settlements are notoriously ill-defended. Once you've taken one of those settlements, Egypt usually will stop sending stacks of troops to attack you in the north.

Battlefield tactics against early Egypt should be to work your javcav around behind their phalanx to weaken them before engaging with your own phalanx. Make sure you bring plenty of javcav though, because Egypt usually brings a lot of skirmishers and an army with 6-8 javcav will defeat that portion of the enemy stack easily. Investing in an Archery Range will help against Pontus because they tend to use Scythed Chariots that you can amok with fire arrows (Egypt's chariots don't run amok). Exterminating the Nile settlements will give you tens of thousands of denarii, so do that to finance your war against the other factions once Egypt is taken care of. You don't really have to take all of Egypt's settlements, because without the Nile and Jerusalem they don't really do much.
    I also agree that missile defense and low cost of Militia Hoplites is more valuable than the melee power of Levy Pikemen when fighting Egypt, if you catch Egypt in melee you win anyway.

Militia Cavalry is one of the best units in the Seleucid roster, perfect for chasing down both chariots and horse archers, especially since their javelins kills chariots in one hit.
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

Willowran's Avatar Domesticus

I disagree with some of the above... but then again, that is just a differential in style. I have never been a fan of any unit whose primary strength is their javelins: they run out of ammo without affecting the outcome of the battle enough to make a difference, and in melee they get slaughtered. The infantry javellins are even worse, with a large uplkeep of 170, which is almost double what it should cost for effetiveness. As selucia, for early game cavalry, i say utilise your generals. They are powerful heavy cavalry at any point in the game, and early game they are nigh unbeatable. Don't bother using them to run your cities, have clusters of generals fighting in the field. As mentioned, your early opponents might spam javellin skirmishers...but they are easily routed by generals, which then saves you more money for pikes.

Against Egypt's chariots i find cavalry are actually rather effective. Cavalry kills chariots much quicker than infantry, as the chariots get bogged down, losing their manoeverability, and then are fodder for any unit, cavalry or otherwise.

I agree with the archers, if only for defensive seiges.

Unit differentials aside, i agree with everything else said.

Nice guide
    Alea iacta est

Don't go through the Levent, use your navy and go straight to the Nile.

I can not train elephants, when I play with Seleuci empire. Can someone help me????

jensdb's Avatar Miles

Quote Originally Posted by toza View Post
    I can not train elephants, when I play with Seleuci empire. Can someone help me????
    You need to have cavalry stables (upgrade your normal stables to the next level) to train them.
    J.

The city also has to have access to an elephant resource.

So good and useful. Why everyone hates Seleucids?(I mean In Game Nations). Their campaing is very hard in early game. You did a good job bro. (Foolish Egyptians )

Quote Originally Posted by Hoonie View Post
    So good and useful. Why everyone hates Seleucids?(I mean In Game Nations). Their campaing is very hard in early game. You did a good job bro. (Foolish Egyptians )
    The Seleucids are actually one of the easier factions as long as you play aggressively from the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKLH9ubxmvQ

Mr Longbowman's Avatar Campidoctor

I really enjoy the Selecuid Empire. They benefit from the Catapracts, who I consider the strongest heavy cavalry unit in the game. Their 'alt'-weapon, the mace, will shread through the armor of any of their competitors. I don't remember of the top of my head if they have Catathract archers, which I consider among the most overvalued units in the game (besides elephants, more on that later).

In my mind, the Selecuid Empire's biggest advantage lies in its diversity. They can simply be anything, which makes them unique. I don't think they're the best at anything besides heavy cavalry, but they can construct an army that can do basically every job to an adequate level. If playing multiplayer, this makes them a lot of fun as you can simply shock your opponent in unit recruitment. Personally, I tend to go with armies that are heavy on Catathracts, Phalanx-units, and with some secondary foreign legions to protect the flanks. No elephants though. I find Elephants even less useful than artillery-units, as they are big, expensive and scary enough to force the enemy to single them out - but not big and scary enough to actually make a difference. When playing elephant-nations I always go out my way to spend 800 denarii on archers, which will defeat any elephant unit out there.
    Last edited by Mr Longbowman; September 04, 2016 at 07:11 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12