Thread: Terminator Total War

Icon2 Terminator Total War

Hi all.
    I see there is fans developp a Star Wars Total War... great. Congratulations. I would like to know your opinion about...

Terminator Total War

what do you think about this ?

- Mod for Empire Total War
    - World map, as the original Empire Total War game, but sink, and why not in the night
    - on the strategic map, we could move human army and if we play cyborg, cyborg army
    - 2 factions ; human and Cyborg
    - nights maps when we fight for beautiful effects when weapons fire laser
    - Human units cover system as the new system of covert for the original ETW game ; they can be covered and hide behind ruins

- Differents units ;

Human :
    Small number of soldiers (infantery)
    Large quantity for human army (infantery)
    Commando group (5 soldiers) with capacity to destroy skynet tanks
    Cars

Skynet :
    Cyborg aircraft (same as in T1 and T2 only)
    Cyborg infantery metal Small number of fighter
    Cyborg infantery metal large quantity of fighter
    Cyborg Tanks

Battlemap :
    city destroyed..
    nuclear site
    Skynet HQ
    Resistance humans HQ
    Nature but could be a problem for the cover of human soldier (+2 attack for cyborg)

Difficult of the mod :
    - 3D models of Cyborg fighter, cars, skynet Tanks, skynet aircraft
    - Create destroyed city, ruins...
    - Create explosion effects...
    - Register and insert reals sound of the T2 film for laser, sounds of skynet tanks, skynet aircraft etc...
    - Create effects of laser weapons as here ( the engine graphic of ETW allows it, for the light effects (clear up) with each explosion or shooting of laser, with a reddish light effect under the lasers on their trajectory, on the lower part, on ground) :

principal units for skynet :

1°) aircraft

2°) tanks

3°) Cyborg fighters

Human soldiers

1°) Infantery

2°) Cars

I am not a modder, i cant do it but i can support you and offer you supply, graphics ressources, host and more...

I suggest we give idea and if there is dev. interest to begin the leader of one team about this project of Terminator Total War
    Last edited by super_newbie_pro; October 31, 2008 at 09:09 AM. Reason: add-on pictures
    RTW 1 fan - betrayed, disillusioned, disgusted with Rome 2.
    My thematic camping project on autonomy ==> http://www.camping-la-ressource.fr/

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Default Re: Terminator Total War

Well, I doubt that you are going to find enough people to pull it off, but it might be worth a try anyway.
    But robots, lasers, and all that stuff might not be possible in ETW's engine. I can say that aircrafts will definitely not be possible.

But let's suppose it is possible.

I would suggest that you propose more factions. Only 2 factions in such a large map will provide a weird, and probably uninteresting gameplay experience. It would also completely kill off any replay value. Include mini-factions, rebel factions, whatever, to fill the map, and avoid the issues that would appear.

Generally, this needs more research, as it is very empty as it is now. 4-5 units for a faction won't work, Find more. Even if they are not accurate according to the Terminator movies.

Anyway, I wish you good luck with this, but keep in mind that this is a very ambitious project, which will require a big team of skilled modders, Since you are not a modder yourself, it might be hard to find a team.

Best of luck!
    Ex-Curator
    Under the Patronage of Perikles
    Patron of Desperado † and Astaroth

R.I.P Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig Van Beethoven View Post
    Well, I doubt that you are going to find enough people to pull it off, but it might be worth a try anyway.
    But robots, lasers, and all that stuff might not be possible in ETW's engine.
    yet a star wars thread has been made and is the most disscused here.

Robots you replace the human model with a skeleton, bam you got a robot.

laser for projectiles you replacethe missle type with red and green and blue glowing light, bam lasers(over simplified ofc)

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig Van Beethoven View Post
    I can say that aircrafts will definitely not be possible.

why? LOTR mod for rtw has flying units, or errr hovering fellbeasts(or w/e, im not a lotr nerd) and the aircraft in Terminator series are built more like helis or the planes from 2142 rather than jets. so it is certinaly doable if you have the time. tanks imo would cause more trouble then flying units*in game wise*. you'd need to have animated tracks, animate Turrets corrtectly responce and actually aiming at the target. with turrets you most likely wont get 360 degrees of rotation nor firing(most likey have the same depth as regular troops) but im no expert,so i might be wrong.

the previous tanks made for or for that vehicles only function was running over units like charriots.

thanks for this informations !

Sorry I just don't see it being reasonable. Anything after flight is just unreal until total war games advance some more. I know it is possible, but the games limitations are going to keep you from really getting what you want. I think you would be better off trying to make something like this out of the civilization series or maybe empire earth.

Two key things you really do need to think hard about before you attempt something like this.

1.) Map. Since you will need settlements where will they be and who controls them?

2.) Troop balancing. Who has more? Whose are better? Does each side really have a chance?

If nothing else I say wait until the new Terminator_salvation comes out may 22, 2009 to get more ideas.
    Last edited by CivFan; November 14, 2008 at 06:58 PM.
    Sorry, but I am not reading the bible again until they put a few more ninjas in it.

How would nature be an advantage to the attack of cyborgs? Makes no sense that machine would utilize natural cover better than man.
    They close my modication thread DWWTW ='( please help evryone.

Quote Originally Posted by CivFan View Post
    2.) Troop balancing. Who has more? Whose are better? Does each side really have a chance?

Skynet has more troops, as the resistance is form of former slaves/ offspring from them and scatred survivors i assume. and the resistance did capture some T's , though its probally not high enough to make a squad out of.

as for weaponry they are probally both equal since at this time there are laser weapons, though Skynet having better vehicles.

morale, obviously the T's would since they have no emotion or will of their own.

human ingenuity is their main advanatge so if you were to make this mod it is best to build them after the natives of ETW i would think. Fast moving etc.

map wouldnt be to hard, im sure some fansites have their own idea's of the status of what the earth looks like, though it would defantly be one sided cause from what i understand john conner and his resistance is the only known one to me. for game inhancment perhaps more would be needed.

Maybe fans will create this mod ?
    Last edited by super_newbie_pro; April 11, 2009 at 01:00 PM.

In regard to all the concerns about the flight, it would be a very simple matter to get it working. One of the ways to do it is to place the model of the plane high above the "ground plane" of the modelling engine, so the model appears to be floating. If that doesn't fool the game then you can make a 1 poly by one poly line extending from the bottom of the craft, so the plane appears to be high above the ground.

As one person said(thank you), if you unlock the camera you can go way up into the sky for minutes, which happens to have 3d clouds and is built to be completely 3d. I would say that the hardest thing to do would be to force it to keep moving.

This looks promising.. especially with T:Salvation coming out later on..

Oh and don't forget to have a 3P0 Terminator as an easter egg
    Parcus es vinco of fecal res
    "The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane." Tesla
    "France has more need of me than I have need of France." Napoleon
    "Its better to fight for something then live for nothing." Patton

ya but then a soldier on the ground could engage said aircraft in melee, this whole idea is never going to appear and is a waste of time if ever attempted. I love terminator and ETW but not everything you love can go together. Im also looking at you star wars mod.
    I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you F___ with me, I'll kill you all.
    - Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

Nostalgia aint as good as it used to be

Not necessarily, there could be work around with scripts and the clever use of canons I'm sure. I agree that terminator total war would not work, but not because of aircraft. In fact, the engine seems built for aircraft.