Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: RotN Workshop: Siege Engines and Special Efects

Default RotN Workshop: Siege Engines and Special Efects

SIEGE ENGINES & SPECIAL EFFECTS
    BALLISTAS, ONAGERS, SCORPIONS, TOWERS, EXPLOSIONS, FLAMES, ETC.

hi all
    i am opening this thread to show you our ideas about siege engines, war machines and game special effects. there are some major changes planned for RotN mod. if you have own ideas and opinions post them here.
    not only first advanced machines of warfare will be shown and designed here. there are some visual changes to their animations and effects planned, such as explosions, flames, smoke and other signs of death and destruction
    war is very spectacular theatre. cruel but spectacular...

Last edited by hæressiarch; May 28, 2009 at 02:17 PM.
    click?

Default Re: RotN Workshop: Siege Engines and Special Efects

hi all. Sorry for no new machines yet. i am still learning how to do proper animations and have no silly behaviour of siege engines. i am currently working on new models of onager and siege towers. scorpions and ballistas will have their new models too.

not only romans will have those improvements. each faction will have it's own siege stuff.

siege engines

first of all i am going to finish the job started once for another mod and never apreciated there. it was never included so it will find it's place here. i have no new screens and i don't want to show you unfinished vertexes with no textures, so you'll hahe to look at the previus version to see what i have in mind:

Onager - first sketch

(sorry for inproper logo )

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

bones and animations are still making me very busy, but i am close to the final succes. sling arm is my hardest problem still, but i can promise you it's just a matter of time in RotN

flaming, burning, explosions and smoke

i was working today on some changes with the wa how units behave when they are hit by flaming arrows and... you probably remember - they simply glow with weird aura like they were covered by liquid amber (i know it's german for bernstein - "burning stone" ).
    i've decided to change it and...

1. first of all now burning rocks are emiting more light. looks cool in the night
    (i will add some screens with diferent daytime next time)

2. next thing - when they hit the ground they explode and plow with flame... it needs to affect someone...

3. flame lasts short time and burns affecting everything in it's area. like roman princeps

4. they fall to the ground and still they burn...

5. i've changed flames a bit. they were too massive for my taste... look how flame affects the shields. textures and lighting works together just like it should.

i know it looks like not so far from vanilla so...

6. now some step by step screens.
    impact! men are thrown in the air (i wan't to eliminate that too)

game selects the models that starts to burn (as they should)

men are falling to the ground and burning (cruel...)

their friends passed by but they are still screaming and burning (!!! more cruel!)

finally they stopped to move and burned out... (max cruelty!)

and suddenly all fun starts again!

more men were hit so the flame rises bigger. explosion seems to have greater area...

so is the mentioned flame... kills more people... loose formation next time!

men that were hit and others affected by the flame are burning or falling down

flaming arrows:

i thought we need new flame for the arrows. vanilla flame looks weird now. in the times whern the game was out it was more than ok but if we can change it... why not?
    (requires some work still unfinished, but you will see how it works and looks now)

less smoke, more opacity, no more fireballs. those are flaming arrows

i hope you enjoyed this preview. i am looking foward for comments, opinions, advices
    it was a real pleasure to try something new than unit models
    next time i'll try to work on crumbling walls and burning bulidings. this is going to be something enormous in amount of work for me, so wish me luck
    Last edited by hæressiarch; February 18, 2009 at 04:59 PM.
    click?

Bigus_Dickus's Avatar Tiro

Hi Haeressiarch

I saw you've opened this thread for publicity and... you've made my heart pump blood faster to my old veins! This is hell on earth my dear sadist! They are burning! WOOOW! There are no other words in my mind now... WOOW!

We need to talk soon. My major work is closest to your newest designs than ever. I think you know what i am talking about. I am very happy to see those changes. Now i know that there are more posibilities for us now.

Okay. Flame looks more natural. I would like to see it in mtion soon Smoke also. Light on the battlefield works perfect. Mags will be very proud of you my friend.

+RAPE!

Looks far better than vanilla. i remember units burned there also, but this effect was lasting shorter and it used less flame and smoke. I recomend to make that flame less opaque and more concrete. I asume you are still using vanilla textures.

I still have vanilla

Last edited by Bigus_Dickus; November 20, 2008 at 07:25 PM.

don't look at me CLICK MY SIGNATURE TO SEE NEW MOD

Finn's Avatar Total Realism

Haer glad to see that the fantastic onager you made a while back is going to make into RoN. Cant wait to see what you have in mind for the other siege equipment.

Great screens! I love the detail you guys are putting into this mod!

@ Finn

thank you Finn. i don't like when my work lays unused somewhere on the hard drive. i was hoping also to show how i've changed efects of flaming and burning. it lasts longer now and smokes more when affects men. i need to get rid of that amber surface of them too i think i'll make a movie that shows it more clearly how you like new arrow flames?
    Last edited by hæressiarch; November 20, 2008 at 09:03 PM.
    click?

dmesa's Avatar Biarchus

Hey the new arrows are nice! ant that masive onager too
    its nice to know that things are going like this, keep up the nice work!

Sig made by Haeressiarch...+Rep me if you want to...

Just as Bigus_Dickus said, "+RAPE!"

@ dmesa

thank you dmesa i am working on that onager right now.

@ pirates_say_arrgg

i am at my first tests and checking yet what has to be done. first of all slinging arm must be corrected and skeleton must be changed to mount model on it...
    it will take some time.
    i know it's too small and not working correctly. i'll fix it as soon as possible.

tell me some good examples of carthaginians using siege equipement. i know they hired/payed greeks to have some mechanized babies on the battlefield but i need to know more
    war needs his inventions!
    Last edited by hæressiarch; February 18, 2009 at 05:00 PM.
    click?

magpie's Avatar Artifex

Great screens my friend, I see the RotN Honey Pot has been opened.
    Our supporter's and visitors are in for some very special treats in the near future.
    RotN will be total War.
    B_D Progress is good my friendYour projects I think will be realised regards mags.

sponsered by the noble Prisca

New flame is great. . I am curious if it is possible make arrows burn for a while when the fall on ground, just like medival II. It would be nice addition I think. .

I have special interest in siege weapons and war machinery but I have never heard of Carthaginian siege machines. Since such mechanised monsters are first developed in ancient Greece and even further development done by Romans.

Here, a site that gives extensive information about Greek war machinery technology. (and even more about ancient Greece and Greeks) Hope it helps

cool onager design, much more better than the traditional representation, you guys are realy investing in this mod, bravo.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Darius_D's Avatar Tiro

Hey Haer!
    I knew about your high-tech roman onager from one or two screens before, so it's great to see it finally on battlefield. Very promising!
    Yes, absolutely should be bigger, cause it doesn't convince it can really smash a thick stone walls

Quote Originally Posted by haeressiarch View Post
    tell me some good examples of carthaginians using siege equipement. i know they hired/payed greeks to have some mechanized babies on the battlefield but i need to know more
    war needs his inventions!
    I rather can say they lacked some abilities on that area. At least Hannibal's army. This was all one flexible and improvised army, they weren't highly specialized professionals like Romans.
    We remember that after Cannae Hannibal abandoned idea to siege Rome, he was just preying near walls but unable to lay a succesful siege.

Darius_D's Avatar Tiro

less smoke, more opacity, no more fireballs. those are flaming arrows
    My opinion is that new arrows look much better, plus it will make LESS picture lag during instense fire volleys. Very good!
    Really the only thing that need to be improved is to add some tiny flame, actually. Though obvioulsy not like the one from vanilla, it's clear.
    Look, in every movie/tv with buring arrows in action you will always see each arrow has a small flame. It is caused by intensifed access to oxygen during fly throu the air, so it cannot be any different.
    EDIT: but I don't know if it is correct that buring arrow will cause solder will immidiately burn. IFAIK this was more to scare horses or burn houses, but soldiers should fall like from normal arrows, without bodies buring. Is it possible to set like that?

As for heavy ballistic missiles - it is good that each shot will kill more troops not like before. That will look more realistically .
    As for flaming, well, it's just bloody hell. But hope this will not be like
    wunderwaffe, that with 2-3 such equipments AI wil tear you away from the battleground
    Last edited by Darius_D; November 21, 2008 at 03:21 PM.

Legio's Avatar EMPRESS OF ALL THINGS
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus

The onagers...perfect!

wow everytime i check this forum u guys always amaze: i love these siege engines ans special effect and ur mod will be the best i am sure of this maybe better than RS2(no offence just impressions) keep up the AWESOME work

@ HeroSK

yes it's possible. i'll post some screenies soon. i also want to include onager missiles laying on ground a while after hit and still burning. that was really nice feature in M2TW and i think RTW deserves it too

i have read somewhere that they hired greek engineers, but that's my only info. onager on the screen was from early tests. you can se how it worked then

thanx for good info your help is always very welcome

@ chalpur

thank you. we are going to put all our hearts to this work. this onager is still not textured correctly but i'll change that as soon as i will make him work better

@ Darius_D

yes i couldn't stand that this idea was abandoned. but i've learned enough to make him work in RotN . carthaginians were used'cause i've tested their units hannibal's army did suffered lack of good siege stuff. you are right.

textures of flames are form vanilla. visuals will be changed. i was only testing what can we do with them. if i will be able to remove some stuff from previous burning effects from vanilla (that glowing "amber" outline on each unit there will be only that small flame visible. if it will also be changed in visuals (texture) we will have what you (and we) seek

don't worry about how many men onager can kill. look at the top picture where onager hits straight to hastati formation and kills... noone (loose formation)

@ Legio Caesar

thank you it still needs to be perfected so here i go

@ Giovi

it's not about being the best i think we are doing it for our selves first we want to have our ideas working and so we are trying hard.
    i will recommedn RS2 for its visuals and hard work of entire team to everyone. i had very good times with RS1.5b and i still fight some battles with hamsha . RS team is moding elite with their abilities and hard work they give to their mods. it's good that we can count on their advices and help. many thanks to RS team

ONAGER CORRECTED (MAPPED) AND READY TO ROLL!... well almost

Last edited by hæressiarch; February 18, 2009 at 05:02 PM.
    click?

helmersen's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Bigus_Dickus View Post

+RAPE!

Hahaha! Nice..
    Interested in how Attila and the new LONGBEARDS DLC plays?

Check out my Total War Attila: Jutes Let's Play: http://youtu.be/rFyxh4mj1pQ
    Check out my Total War Attila: The Langobards Let's Play: http://youtu.be/lMiHXVvVbCE
    Total War: Attila with ERE vs Sassanids GEM at max settings:
    http://youtu.be/jFYENvVpwIs
    Total War: Rome II Medieval Kingdoms Mod Gameplay: http://youtu.be/qrqGUYaLVzk

@ HeroSK

yes it's possible. i'll post some screenies soon. i also want to include onager missiles laying on ground a while after hit and still burning. that was really nice feature in M2TW and i think RTW deserves it too

i have read somewhere that they hired greek engineers, but that's my only info. onager on the screen was from early tests. you can se how it worked then

thanx for good info your help is always very welcome
    Great news . Another nice feature of Med II is the shaking ground effect while onagers and other siege engines are sooting. What do you think of this ? :hmmm:

Mathais's Avatar Ordinarius

Nice work Haer keep it! cant wait to see what else there is to come looking at the onager wow you tanlent is amazing love it!

@ HeroSK

honestly i was thinking of this a long time. ofcourse we will try to make it real here too. this will be more dificult than other stuff before, so wish us luck

@ Mathais

thank you
    click?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast