Page 10 of 132 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819203560110 ... LastLast

Thread: Geomod Tool for Mapping

axnsan's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: Geomod Tool for Mapping

ok, i downloaded the tool, everything looks ok, but i have a question:
    how do i start a map from scratch??

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

The easiest way in this case would be to take one of the maps in the sample folder (tools\geomod\m2tw_files) and start changing it.

axnsan's Avatar Protector Domesticus

well, it;s kinda hard to change the europe map into a totaly different one, because there are all the resources and characters and rivers and etc

It's quite simple to delete all the elements of the map. With Geomod, you can easily delete all the regions, except one. You can do it with resources too.

I think there already exist some "empty map" on twcenter you can download. But I think I will include one map self-made in the next release.

Blog Entries

One wish for the next release:

Is it possible to get a default entry for the Regions\Various\Faction Creator and Owner Faction?

Reason: If you forget to do this, then the program crashes when pressing any "Validate" button.

OK.

my request for next version a UNDO button gee i was about to kill my PC cause of this

I don't know if it will be possible, I'll try something.

@ gigantus :

Put a low number like 205 on a stretch of coast on the pixels that are pointing out to sea (like the 18 on the top right of the pic). Open your 'color changer' and dial up by 5 (210). Place the pixel to the left and right of the first one. Repeat until the row is full. Leave the inward pointing pixels at 255.
    Could you explain this in detail please ? I don't understand how exactly you do it.

I'd like to include in Geomod an automatic function to smooth the coasts. So I need to understand the process to create an algorithm.

Blog Entries

I made a picture with the RGB code for that thread, have a look if those numbers make any sense to you.

Part of 'smooth coast' tutorial (Thumb view here)

Have a look at the sequence of numbers from one pixel of landmass that 'sticks out' to one that 'sticks in' - that is what makes the coast smooth.

Something else I noticed. Once again, using a modified Reg Verd map. Whenever the mongols show up, the initial two stacks always die instantly. I can't even click on them. It's "Mongols invade!" but the initial weak stacks are dead before the boxes on the left finish falling. It's happened so far near Baghdad and Tbilisi. Are they appearing somewhere they can't get to, like on a river or something? (There is a river against the edge of the Baghdad province partially.)

The regular stacks appeared in the Volga area and they went just like normal. It's weird.

Blog Entries

They must have spawned on invalid tiles.

Check the campaign_script co-ordinates for the invasion points against the tiles on the map.

The next version of Geomod will have a "cancel" function for drawing !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Octavius View Post
    The next version of Geomod will have a "cancel" function for drawing !
    Do you mean "Undo"? (Reversing changes).

If it is UNDO that is great ive wanted that so much

dragonsign's Avatar International Brigade

we are all praying for a UNDO button

Yes it is. Sorry for my bad english translation, "cancel" is the word used in french ("annuler").

You will be able to undo only one action (filling an area, drawing a point or a line, etc.)

The brush tool has been added. It is now possible to paint 12 points at the same time instead of only one.

All the character's informations management has been added : name (you must choose it from a list, so you can't go wrong writing it), position, traits and ancillaries, army, etc. The only one thing lacking is management of the family tree (for a next release).

Some minor bugs have been eliminated and the whole code has been improved.

I am currently trying to enable the management of the victory conditions.

Blog Entries

One more request:

Please remove the check for resources placed on the same coordinates (and being removed). This is done on purpose to increase trading values without creating multiple resource 'points' in the same region.

This was made in order to correct errors. I didn't know this could be done intentionally. Maybe I can make an optional check.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Octavius View Post
    Yes it is. Sorry for my bad english translation, "cancel" is the word used in french ("annuler").

You will be able to undo only one action (filling an area, drawing a point or a line, etc.)

The brush tool has been added. It is now possible to paint 12 points at the same time instead of only one.

All the character's informations management has been added : name (you must choose it from a list, so you can't go wrong writing it), position, traits and ancillaries, army, etc. The only one thing lacking is management of the family tree (for a next release).

Some minor bugs have been eliminated and the whole code has been improved.

I am currently trying to enable the management of the victory conditions.
    All of that sounds awesome. Cannot wait for the next version. Also cant wait for the version that has family tree management in it. I HATE doing those!!!

I'm a relative noob when it comes to using this tool so I apologise if this can already be done in geomod, but would it be possible to include a map mode that shows which factions own which regions? I'm mainly using geomod at the moment to assign starting positions to factions and it's a bit tedious to have to keep loading up the game to check all the regions at once. It would be great if there was an option to display the map showing the colours of which faction owns which regions
    Last edited by Caesar Clivus; April 20, 2009 at 05:35 AM.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

The map generator (in the "tool" menu) already included in Geomod could partially solve your problem I think.