Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Saturninus/Balbus

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Saturninus/Balbus

I do not belive the Carthaginian forces near Rhegion would be able to effectively besiege and take the city, they lack the number to achieve it. I propose that we deal with all the rebels first, and order the training of levies to increase the garrison of Rhegion, just in case the Carthaginian armies start a war. If we send a diplomat to establish trade between Rome and Makedonia, Epirote and the Greek cities, our income will increase greatly, and will allow us to finance the extra garrison in Rhegion, which could be used, later, as reinforcements for an invasion force to Sicily.
    Last edited by Ozy; October 27, 2008 at 02:13 PM.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I will take this opportunity to Censure both senator Gaius Iulius Caesar and Consul Marcus Atius Balbus. Their outbursts and petty fighting are quite unbecoming of true Romans, and they are on their way to recieving a Nota Censora from this Censor.

It is clear that we do not have the manpower, even after the raising of the new legion, to defeat the multiple foes we now face. Therefore I would like to ammend my Senatus Consultum de Bellum Punicum to read the as follows:

II. Senatus Consultum de Bellum Punicum

The Senate declares that, due to Punic agression towards and outright contempt of the Senate and People of Rome, that the states of Carthage and the Republic of Rome are at war, and that all friendly ties of trade and alliance shall hereby cease.\

Additionally, the Senate decrees that another legion shall be raised, in the style of the previous, completing its training in no more than four seasons from now.

This brings the bills I would like the House to consider, and I call on the Consul to enforce debate on these bills as is in the Constitution, to this:

I. Senatus Consultum de Rebellium Septentrionalium

The Senate advises Praetor Caius Scipio to take the newly recruited legion, when it is ready, north to defeat the rebels gathered. The Praetor should defeat the army gathered within two seasons and return the legion to Capua, afterwards returning to Rome.

II. Senatus Consultum de Bellum Punicum

The Senate declares that, due to Punic agression towards and outright contempt of the Senate and People of Rome, that the states of Carthage and the Republic of Rome are at war, and that all friendly ties of trade and alliance shall hereby cease.

Additionally, the Senate decrees that another legion shall be raised, in the style of the previous, completing its training in no more than four seasons from now

III. Lex Aurelia De Vectigalia

Taxation during times of war shall be set to a "high level" in the Italian cities. This law need not be followed if, for any reason, high taxation would cause imminent rebellion (i.e. should population happiness drop below 65%) in a given city, or if the Senate should decide to exclude a city or set of cities from the tax increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

I endorse the bill, but I would not issue Carthage with a declaration of war until the rebels are defeated. A state of war would cause much destruction to our lands by their presence.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Kneißl's Avatar Semisalis

Tiberius Stood
    "Senator Scipio, I was referring in the event Carthage did attack us. Sorry for the misunderstanding. One of the reasons this great republic was created was the need for defense. Not need for more territory. Senators, This is no time for war, we have but one legion. We need it for security amd to clear the dissidents from our lands. Carthage is a vast nation capable of calling on great resources for defense and Offense. Senators, it is time to invest in Rome itself. Invest in loyal Roman citizens. Not in cities that are full of Greeks and Carthaginians. We must present ourselves as an advanced nation. If we assualt Carthage, we will be forever known as uncivlized squabble. Our first and foremost priority should be the rebels and Rome."

He began to sit down, but stood up again

"Caesar," he said while pointing an accusing finger " You no nothing of my anger, but you will surely feel the lash of it if you do not stop speaking of things that you should not be concerned with"

With that he sat down regardeding Caesar coldly all the while

[OOC: Drama needs to start sometime ]

Mathias Kneißl - Kampf Um Europa
    | Raiba Kneißl - GSTK

I would feel more comfortable if any debates of whether to invade Carthage or not was started after the rebels have been driven from our midst.

The Praetor scans the crowd of murmuring senators.

Senators, this is no time for such naivety. The carthaginians cannot possibly be in our lands for any plausible reason other than to wage war. Where are they going, if not to attack us? Do you think Carthage has suddenly decided to set up a little empire in the alps and they'll just happily pass through our territories? Wake up! They are going to attack. However, I stress that they are a good few seasons away from being of a strength sufficient enough to do so, and as such, we have plenty of time to crush these uprisings.
    Senator Lucius Artorius Cato (34)

Aye Crassus, the Carthaginians would be fools to attack with the forces they have now, and even with the army that has been sighted on Sicily they are still to weak to do anything. Senators, let us review the situation.
    There are two positively hostile forces in Roman territory. Both are at comparable strength of our legion. There are three small, neutral forces in our territory. They are weak and divided. The greater threat right now, is the rebel uprising. Crush this, quell insubordinate thoughts, blow out the flame of rebellion. If we do this, we will have shown those citizens who feel unhappy that Rome will not tolerate rebellion.
    This will allow us to increase the taxes, which in turn will allow us to increase our forces. Our consuls constantly receive information from informants and agents, so any threat can be seen and responded to well in time.

It seems that war is inevitable, but we must not hasten ourselves in it.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I would remind the senators that it matters not if the Carthaginians now intend to truly attack us or are content with simply piping soldiers through our land; we are bound by our ultimatum to at least forcibly remove them from Italy.

I once again ask the Consuls to bring my motions to debate and to vote so that we may end this foolish bickering.

I am at a loss as to why Senator Lepidus proposes appointing a praetor to do a consul's job, and even more so why he does not address the problems of the rebels on our Adriatic coast or this body's interest in sending a diplomatic envoy to the Hellenes to establish peace and trade.

Consuls, where are you? You must draft a bill and put it to the vote.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

You know very well, senator, that culling rebels is not and has never been a Consul's job. Why, I myself was sent as a Praetor to take a town with a full Legion of rebels! The reason I have also not addressed the rebels along the Adriatic is that I feel they should be left until we can field a larger force of men.

ooc: That's Censor Lepidus

Put the Censor`s motion to a vote, we need to make a decision!

As for you Senator Tiberius, i will only say this. If we do not "invest in cities full of greeks and Carthaginians" we might, before long be gone altogether!
    People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Shifted his gaze from Caesar to Claudius
    "You must be a damned fool to think that investing all our money in Sicily will solve our problems. By investing, i don't just mean money but also troops. Do you even think of the Roman peoples? Thats right you are only thinking of your self and personal glory. The rebels are inciting rebellion in our lands and all you seek is sicily for more money for your outlandish life?Also are you implying that our"he made a sweeping gesture with his hand" legion and garrisons can't hold back rebels and Carthaginians? I think you underestimate the Roman peoples." He paused " You should watch your words carefully Princeps"

And with that Tiberius sat down.

| Raiba Kneißl - GSTK

"Excuse me Senator? How dare you talk to the Princeps Senatus like that! You will watch your mouth when speaking to such noble and prominant men! If you fine men are so intent on taking down Rebels why not send a Praetor with a half legion? Is that not enough? If we are going to destroy rebels I suggest we take Appius so then we can focus directly on the Carthaginians. Marcus is not a huge problem. Perhaps we could even send a diplomat to talk and persuade him over to our side. But as I said before Carthage is our problem. Simple as that."
    Alistair Yronwood - Lord of Yronwood, Warden of the Stone Way, Blood Royal

"Darkness? I was born in it...molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man. By then it was nothing to me but blinding! The shadows betray you because they belong to me!
    "But there must always be a Darth Traya, one that holds the knowledge of betrayal. Who has been betrayed in their heart, and will betray in turn."

"You clearly don't know who you're talking to, so let me clue you in. I am not in danger, I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks! "

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

OOC: I am the princeps this term, not Snowball, he need to update his signature
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Senator Gaius Ivlius Caesar will now recieve a Nota Censora for his near violent outburst towards Senator Lupus, who will in turn be officially Censured by this Censor. Senators, I will not tolerate such despicable behavior and un-virtuous actions!
    Last edited by Winter; October 27, 2008 at 05:48 PM.

OOC: He screwed up both of our glorious speeches

| Raiba Kneißl - GSTK

Tiberius felt fimiliar rage, but clenched and unclenched his fists until it sub-sided, the Censor is one man who has carte blanch. he bowed his head slightly;humbly

"Of Course, Censor, rest assured I will watch my own tongue but I would advise" He stopped himself in mid sentence, and sat down

| Raiba Kneißl - GSTK

Tiberius, i am the representative of the people in this Curia, every word i utter, every move i make is for the People! and you dare accuse me of trying to get personal glory!?

Were i a lesser man i would stoop to your level, i however prefer to debate based on facts. Insults and accusations are the tools of idiots, and i truly would have expected better from you.

Let us put the Censors motion to vote, and would like to propose one of my own.

(Let it be noted that i am not taking credit for these suggestions, i am merely proposing them in a "complete package"

Lex Snowballus
    A diplomat will be sent by way of land to Greece to secure peace and trade with all nations.

People will believe a lie because they want it to be true; or they're afraid it's true.
    Given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe its true, or because they're afraid it might be true. Peoples' heads are full of knowledge, facts and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it all true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

Tiberius stands
    "If every word is for the people, then why do you turn your back on them" Pointing toward outside the Curia" You support using money to attack Sicily when you should be using it to better Roman, hardworking Roman citizens might I say,lives. Tell me how is that helping the people"

| Raiba Kneißl - GSTK

Senators, it has never been the job of the senators to quell revolts, it is my job to enforce Roman law throughout the land, and these insurrections are simply composed of bands of criminals. They will fall like the untrained dogs they are.

More distressing is the hostility displayed by certain persons in this senate. If we do not maintain cohesion and respect for one another, you might as well both be dismissed.

The Praetor sits glaring at the two. He had expected better of Caesar.