Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Exam: Introduction to Mesh Texturing 101 (Closes November 11th)

B. Ward's Avatar ★★★★ RockNRolla ★★★★

Default Final Exam: Introduction to Mesh Texturing 101 (Closes November 11th)

Well, I apologize for keeping you all waiting. This is your official Final Exam. As you complete your assignment please post here with your texture plates as well as you ingame screenshots for me. I have selected three units that you may use to complete your exam, but you are more than free to use one that you want to as long as you post your textures as well as your in game screens. The ones I choose will have the templates for them for download to assist you. If you wish to use your own, you will have to unpack your game if you have not done so already. Per request by some students, below is how you unpack your game.

Medieval II: Total War unpacking.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Your Medieval II: Total War installation must be updated to at least the 1.1 patch, but the 1.2 patch is recommended as it fixed many pathfinding issues for the game engine. Once you have your installation updated to the appropriate patch, look in your Medieval II: Total War directory and locate your "tools" folder. Inside this folder you should see a folder named "unpacker". Once inside this folder you should see a file entitled "unpack_all.bat" You will need to run this to unpack your game files. Please keep in mind that this will overwrite all files in your vanilla "data" folder. Mod folders will be untouched. Once you have unpacked your files, please remember to delete these two files; "descr_geography_new.txt" and "descr_geography_new_db.txt" or you will not be able to run your game. For any more concerns on the unpacker, please read the Readme.txt file included in the "unpacker" folder as well.

Unit 1: Dismounted Feudal Knights (upgrade 1)
    Factions - England, Scotland, France, HRE, Denmark, Spain, Portugal, Milan, Venice, Papal States, Hungary

Unit 2: Pavise Spearmen
    Factions - Hungary

Unit 3: Desert Archers (upgrade 1)
    Factions - Moors, Egypt

Files can be downloaded from here. Any issues please post here and we'll get them sorted as soon as possible. Remember to post your textures as well as ingame shots to be considered completed.

Default Re: Final Exam: Introduction to Mesh Texturing 101 (Closes November 11th)

Thread Posted.

Adnan's Avatar Miles

Default Re: Final Exam: Introduction to Mesh Texturing 101 (Closes November 11th)

Here it is:

Does this unit have shields on their backs? If so, I will need to see those be reskinned as well.

Last edited by B. Ward; November 03, 2008 at 02:11 PM.

Adnan's Avatar Miles

Ohhhh my god! I forgot... Will retexture them soon.

Edit: Here are shields.

[url=http://g.imageshack.us/img395/shield2zs4.jpg/1/][IMG]http:

Nice job
    Last edited by B. Ward; November 07, 2008 at 11:46 AM.

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I still need you to post your textures before the work can be considered completed. Thanks.
    Last edited by B. Ward; November 04, 2008 at 12:55 PM.

BLM - ANTIFA - A.C.A.B. - ANARCHY - ANTI-NATIONALISM

Romanos IV's Avatar The 120th Article, § 4
    the hell outta here (Athens, European Client State of Greece)

For the Pavese Spearmen, should I create a new folder? (not the lmail_hmail?)

ln_lmail_hmail
    Last edited by B. Ward; November 05, 2008 at 09:19 AM.
    Under the noble patronage of Jimkatalanos

Augustus Lucifer's Avatar Life = Like a beanstalk
    Patrician Citizen

Here's my entry coach!

Extremist Camouflage (a shameless quip):

Texture:

Attachment Set:

Comic:

You would. Nice job. :thumbsup4
    Last edited by B. Ward; November 07, 2008 at 11:39 AM.

OK, well at last I got this finished. I apologise for the (relative) blandness of my units, but I figure if I'm going to the trouble of re-texturing, I may as well make it something I will use.

[url=http://imageshack.us]

And the in game shots.

I'd like to thank and rep B. Ward once again for this superb tutorial. I now feel that I have the ability and the confidence to re-texture just about anything I feel like.

Wardogs...nice touch. Great job.
    Last edited by B. Ward; November 07, 2008 at 10:07 AM.

Ok i have made mine in general_captain format, so that the attachment are in the same texture file, ah and no shields, only weapon but new model and texture, so idecided to make two if that is ok.
    Fortriu´s Captain

Saxon´s General

The Pictish General has recently taken a northumbrian settlement at the north part of bernicia, northern bebbamburg.

and has set up an ambush near the town just before the settlement.

But the Northumbrian General could not tolerate such an action from his counter part and has decided to gather a larger number of units and split it in many section in order to surround and cut the enemy supplies,

And success the Saxon tactic pay off as the fortriu´s general decided to attack before things get worse, he prepares a frontal attack in open ground which is not smart of his side but he is confident cause his force has heavier infantry, but the Saxons general has taken an advantageous position, up hill!!

The Saxon General prepare his men for battle.

The Fortrius general see a small gap as the saxons formation as been slow down by the forest and decided that is the time to attack

The Saxon eagerly move forward

The tension gets higher and higher as the enemy approach,

CHARGE!!!!

To be continued!!.....
    I hope you were entertained!!
    ah btw just to be clear the saxon unit in my normal map tutorial is not the same model, for those who may think i cheated or omething like that!! cheers

Nice job.
    Last edited by B. Ward; November 10, 2008 at 12:32 PM.
    Contribuitor IBIICB-WOTN-Modeler-Scripter

Jaguar Paw's Avatar Senator

B. Ward, I'll hopefully be done by Tuesday the 11th, got a lot of stuff I'm working on. My final project will be re-skinning the Aztec warriors. I will work as quickly as possible. Thanks.
    Member: The Frontier. Researcher, Skinner, and Modeler.

Member: The Frontier Researcher

Hobbes's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Hippies!

This is what I used:

btw, B. Ward, the first unit you show (in the 1st post) is not dismounted feudal knights, it's armored swordsmen, and its texture should be placed in a new folder called "en_pplate_plate".

Nice job, and the unit is dismounted feudal knights upgraded.
    Last edited by B. Ward; November 10, 2008 at 12:30 PM.

BLM - ANTIFA - A.C.A.B. - ANARCHY - ANTI-NATIONALISM

sinople's Avatar These Romans are crazy!

I have bugs with gimp, I don't know why but it suddenly decided to don't open dds anymore... painful

So, here is a work in progress screen I have taken (when gimp was working) :

Pics of the files (I used military pics, but they go out of the layer, hopefully this doesn't matter in game) :

Here is the file for attachments, if someone can convert if for me .
    http://files.filefront.com/final+mid.../fileinfo.html

unfortunatly my photoshop trial has ended so im out and gimp doesnt work

Question:
    I skinned the In_lmail_hmail and put it in the data/unit_models/_units/In_lmail_hmail/textures and its name in this folder is In_lmail_hmail_template.texture . However, in the test, I select "Pavise Crossbowmwn" for Hungary, but they have the vanilla skin. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Adnan's Avatar Miles

You have to rename In_lmail_hmail_template.texture into In_lmail_hmail_hungary.texture

sinople's Avatar These Romans are crazy!

I reach to convert tga to dds, but without gimp.

So here is the pic with attachments :

Great.
    Last edited by B. Ward; November 10, 2008 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adnan View Post
    You have to rename In_lmail_hmail_template.texture into In_lmail_hmail_hungary.texture
    Thanks for your effort to support me but still...

I believe pavise crossbowmen point towards a different texture set. Hungary has pavise crossbow militia. Also try pavise spearmen to see if you yield any results.

Stil they don't wanna show up. Anyway, I'll make another based on D. Feudal Knights.

Due to me being a nice fellow and the fact that I have a busy week, this will remain open the remainder of the week. Anyone who has questions, I'll try to get to them ASAP. Just got some stuff to deal with at the job so not as active this week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast