View Poll Results: which nation of AoD2 do you want play - and why?

Voters
303. You may not vote on this poll
  • Regnvm Tvringorvm

5 1.65%
  • Imperivm Romanvm

127 41.91%
  • Persarmenia

7 2.31%
  • Regnvm Hirae (Lakhmids)

5 1.65%
  • Britanni (Romano-Brit.)

26 8.58%
  • Regnvm Francorvm

13 4.29%
  • Hunni

10 3.30%
  • Regnvm Gepidorvm

2 0.66%
  • Rex Regvm (the empire of the king of kings - Sassanids)

26 8.58%
  • Saxones

17 5.61%
  • Regnvm Vandalorvm et Alanorvm

5 1.65%
  • Regnvm Visigothorvm

5 1.65%
  • Scoti

9 2.97%
  • Regnvm Italiae et Gothorvm

9 2.97%
  • Bvlgari

18 5.94%
  • Langobardi

5 1.65%
  • Regnvm Mavrorvm et Romanorvm (moors)

8 2.64%
  • Regnvm Bvrgvndionvm

2 0.66%
  • Regnvm Sveborvm

4 1.32%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: [POLL] Which nation will you play... and why?

Wundai's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Which nation will you play... and why?

I think he knew that

Well anyways sorry for offtopic stuff Pomps, just trying to keep Public forums alive a bit.

Pompeius Magnus's Avatar primus inter pares

no prob mate
    I wish more people would vote. :-(

Wundai's Avatar Artifex

Well for that you need more previews to get them excited even more about this mod heh
    And more activity from the members of AOD2 on the public forum (this one) as well

Quote Originally Posted by Wundai View Post
    And more activity from the members of AOD2 on the public forum (this one) as well
    yes, this is correct
    We have such a huge team.

Concerning the previews: we made more than enough in the last weeks
    ...and more will follow. esp for the buildings.
    But it's pointless to throw out every week a preview. step by step.

BTW: we have one vote more (50ea)
    Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; May 02, 2009 at 03:55 PM.

Athenogoras's Avatar Campidoctor

I guess any mod in the BI-time frame will have to struggle to gain publicity. I mean see the IB-mods.
    They are top-notch quality, great looking units and have excellent AAR-writers(SBH and Juvenal) for publicity and I would say they are still not among the 5 most popular rtw-mods.

Exactly, Athenogoras.
    Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; May 02, 2009 at 04:00 PM.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

I voted Franks. The other choice would be Romans. A third selection could be Sassanids.
    Those factions, i would try to play historically, of course.
    And for a fun play, all other factions would be tested, too
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Mods like the IB's ones and AoD II have to deal with the fact that the majority of people interested in Roman history are massively inclined towards the late Republic and principate eras of the Empire. You know, the Classical period. The Late Empire period is IMHO by far much more interesting and dynamic than the earlier ones but much less popular also. As for me, if I haven't voted is just because there are so many interesting factions that I haven't made my mind yet on what faction will have the honor of being my first choice .

Art by Joar

that what you write is 100% correct - at least from my view.

The late antique is very complicated.
    The player can't say anymore "here I am" and "there are the barbarians". The world isn't easy anymore.
    Sure, even in 200B.C. complicated contracts were made, but generally the diplomatic contacts and international affairs became very professional in the late antique.
    Also the armies were specialized dependend on the region they were garrisoned.
    A Roman army was in Syria partially complete different compared to the troops in Illyria.
    The detachements became more small, more flexible, and sometimes more expensive.

That's the reason why AoD2 offers ~30 different infantry units for the Romans.
    Esp. the army of Justinian is a mix of the classical age with the remnent parts of an old army and the begining of a new age.

The complete time of the late and ending antique is a challange.

DaVinci's Avatar TW Modder 2005-2016
    Patrician Artifex

The plastic poisoned and d(r)ying surface of planet Earth in before Armageddon

That's the reason why AoD2 offers ~30 different infantry units for the Romans.
    Esp. the army of Justinian is a mix of the classical age with the remnent parts of an old army and the begining of a new age.
    Great to hear
    #Anthropocene #not just Global Warming but Global Disaster, NASA #Deforestation #Plastic Emission #The Blob #Uninhabitable Earth #Savest Place On Earth #AMOC #ICAN #MIT study "Falsehoods Win" #Engineers of Chaos
    #"there can be no doubt about it: the enemy stands on the Right!" 1922, by Joseph Wirth.
    Rightwingers, like in the past the epitome of incompetence, except for evilness where they own the mastership.
    Iirc., already 2013 i spoke of "Renaissance of Fascism", it was accurate.
    #"Humanity is in ‘final exam’ as to whether or not it qualifies for continuance in universe." Buckminster Fuller
    Any chance for this exam? Very low, the established Anthropocentrism destroys the basis of existence.
    #My Modding #The Witcher 3: Lore Friendly Tweaks (LFT)
    #End, A diary of the Third World War (A.-A. Guha, 1983) - now, it started on 24th February 2022.

Romans and sassies are by far the most wanted factions.
    I'm surprised about the Britanni. They have the 3rd place atm. And I can clearly say that they get very well researched units, an interesting family-tree etc.

voted for Britanni
    I'm pretty sure the ages of darkness team will make a phantastic campaign about the last Romans in Britain

Another question
    I saw you go a new way regarding the names of the kingdoms. e.g. Regnum Vandalorum or regnum thuringorum. was it the official name of this countries? And when they started to call themself like this?

Basically the term Regnum means an area which is "ruled" by somebody.
    However, the early germans had chieftains and didn't called it a kingdom. Sometimes barbarians proclaimed themself kings, or became nominated by nobles or the army. But they never built up something like a kingdom with fixed borders.

The term Regnum for all barbarian post-Roman successor-states is indeed historical.
    The barbarians entered the Roman empire with ulterior motives to bring a "change".

But soon they recognized that a tribe with perhaps 80.000 people can't change a country within some years.
    Let's take the example of the Vandali. The number of that tribe is speculated with 80.000 people, including Alani, Suebi and other minor tribes.
    When they invaded africa (429/30) they met a population of estimated 3.000.000 Romans.

The key to hold the power in such provinces was to get acceptance by the population as well as recognition of the Emperor. The different "barbarian" tribes used different ways to reach that - but the result was always the same. They linked their domain at the Roman Empire.

Theodericus Rex had worn all his life the title as Magister Militum, new deployed military-units had latin names, the court procedures were nearly the same as in the time of the Augusti, the same civil and military titles (for example a PPpG or PP-urbis was still existing), the Senate became again a strong and important "voice".
    This is also the time were we can meet again famous senators (like Cethegus and many others), similar like in pre-imperial times.
    Nearly the same situation for the franks and burgunds. The Burgunds were by far the most integrative tribe. Lex Burgundionum is only one example, the same properties and rights were granted like in imperial times by the burgundian authority to the Roman Magnates.

After years things like behaviour, cultur and character of those tribes became mixed and finally very Roman.
    The official court language, also due to the strong influence of the catholic church was always latin. The official name of Theodoric was Flavius Theodoricus Rex.

We can continue with those examples... you can write a book about that issue
    But I think we stop that

result
    You can describe the Vandal kingdom as "Regnum" after the years of 435AD, after a contract was made with the western imperial power about Mauretania and Numidia. But it would be more correct to describe it as independent kingdom after the taking of Carthage and an official contract with Valentinian III in 442AD.

The Ostrogothi were theoretically immediately after Odovacers death a kindom because Odovacer was king of Italy. But the official recognition from the imperial authority in the east came in 497/98AD.

The Burgundi: an official name Burgundia in combination with Regum is dated in 507AD. But we know that they called also their domain arround the city of Vormatia (Worms) 70 years before also "kingdom" (Regnum).
    But as said before - the Burgunds are a special "case" in general.
    You can write 100 sentenses more about this difficult "case".

We can continue with the Thuringi, Franki, Suebi and so on.

Generally speaking it would be wrong to call them before those given dates "kingdom" or better said: it would be wrong to give them the latin term "Regnum".
    In the case of AoD2 the term "Regnum" describes a modern state with strong (or certain) Roman elements.
    Last edited by Pompeius Magnus; June 14, 2009 at 12:56 PM.

Haršurāšaz's Avatar Senator

Ostro Goths and Saxons

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I vote for Sassanians, because they are my favourite faction and for the last years I have been spending much time in researching them.
    Such great a culture and so less known about them

For IB I have been developing the new Sassanian unit rooster. in the 5th century that was very different to that of the 6th century. Therefore I am very curious how have you done that.
    Given the people working for that project here I expect a high standard and well researched results

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    Such great a culture and so less known about them
    True. I like them too and we will represent them as a high developed culture with far lands in the east. If the Romans come to close to Ctesiphon (who knows - everything is possible) you can make a big retreat with all your staff and court to the eastern provinces. There is coming a big surprise in one of the Sassanian AoD-previews. I'm sure you will love it

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    For IB I have been developing the new Sassanian unit rooster. in the 5th century that was very different to that of the 6th century. Therefore I am very curious how have you done that.
    Given the people working for that project here I expect a high standard and well researched results
    Thanx Gäiten

The Romano Brits on 3rd place
    wow

indeed

phantastic
    sassies + Britanni are sharing the 2nd place

I hope we get more votes soon. It is really amazing and shows us how important the british factions are. But anyway, we make the most beautiful british unit.