Thread: Good PCI-X Graphics Cards?

Icon5 Good PCI-X Graphics Cards?

I can run Medieval 2 fine on its lowest settings on my computer. It's a refurbished Dell Precision 650 workstation, with a 2.8 ghz dual core Intel Xeon processor (x86). I'm running Windows 2000. When I set the graphics up higher than medium, it works, but the framerate drops to unplayable speeds.

The current graphics card is a Nvidia Quadro FX500/FX600 (128 MB). I didn't realize the implications when I bought the machine, but it has only one PCI-X (extended, not express) and 4 standard PCI slots. The current graphics card is in the PCI-X slot.

Everything works OK, but it would be nice to have better graphics quality. Can anyone reccomend a better PCI-X or PCI graphics card? It seems that most of the current cards on the market are PCI-E.

Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by Roderick Random; October 09, 2008 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Forgot something.

Default Re: Good PCI-X Graphics Cards?

workstations are business graphics computers, used to make 3d animation for example. You will probably not find something to replace that as PCI-X is old technology and video cards on workstations usually just use PCI-E.

PCI-X isn't even for video cards, i thought it was for high-end SCSI cards or network adaptors?

Buy a new PC, you will not find something faster to replace what you have.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

If that is a workstation card, then I have bad news for you: You will not be able to play Medieval II. Workstation cards skimp on a lot of things because they are expected just to render, not play games.

Well, it does work, I'm just wondering if there is a better PCI or PCIX card I could upgrade to for better performance. Thanks.

Freddie's Avatar The Voice of Reason
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Roderick Random View Post
    I can run Medieval 2 fine on its lowest settings on my computer. It's a refurbished Dell Precision 650 workstation, with a 2.8 ghz dual core Intel Xeon processor (x86). I'm running Windows 2000. When I set the graphics up higher than medium, it works, but the framerate drops to unplayable speeds.

The current graphics card is a Nvidia Quadro FX500/FX600 (128 MB). I didn't realize the implications when I bought the machine, but it has only one PCI-X (extended, not express) and 4 standard PCI slots. The current graphics card is in the PCI-X slot.

Everything works OK, but it would be nice to have better graphics quality. Can anyone reccomend a better PCI-X or PCI graphics card? It seems that most of the current cards on the market are PCI-E.

Thanks for your help!
    I don't think they even make PCI-X 'home user' video cards, your Dell 650 was built for a specific purpose (whatever that was I don't know) and was certainly not meant for gaming. Sorry.

This leaves you with only one option. PCI. Good old PCI I remember this when the technology was new and when it started to phase out the old ISA slots, today PCI is Neanderthal like next to current technology, how time flys. The best card you can get on PCI bus is a ATI Radeon 9250 which is pretty pitiful, if your serious about play M2TW invest in a new computer, you don’t have to spend loads you already have case and Optical drive, keyboard and mouse and if your Hard drive is SATA you can re use that as well.

I agree with Freddie, it would probably be better if you just bought a new computer (or new motherboard and other parts at least) but if thats out of the question then I would have to recommend (after a quick search on newegg) that you get one of these regular pci cards:

GeForce FX 5500

Radeon X1550

Radeon HD 2400PRO

With one of these you MIGHT be able to run Medieval II on at least the lowest settings.
    Last edited by Mar77; October 09, 2008 at 09:35 PM.

I done see those being better than what he has, the Quadro he has is the equivellent of the FX 5 series geforce.
    Swear filters are for sites run by immature children.

from what I have heard the last two cards are actually a bit faster than fx 5

chances are however that they probably wont be much better than what he has though like you said

hi there, sorry for using this thread but i have a similar doubt.
    i want to change my graphic card and my motherboard has PCI Express x16 but not with the v2.0, i'm not sure but for what i have seen, it seems that for example the gtx260 can work also in the PCI Express x16 without need of being v2.0 but i'm not completely sure of it since in some places it just says compatible with v2.0, does anyone know if these latest graphic cards work for both or just with v2.0?

I think you mean 1.0, not x16. PCI-E 2.0 cards are backwards compatible, so they will work both ways. (Except 1.0a last I checked, but I doubt you have that.)