Thread: id like to learn more about cith state greece(for lack of a better name)

ServiusTheGreat's Avatar Semisalis

Default id like to learn more about cith state greece(for lack of a better name)

any links i should have?
    Everybody want to be a Cat, Because a Cats the only Cat who knows where its at

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Default Re: id like to learn more about cith state greece(for lack of a better name)

By city state Greece I assume you mean Archaic-Classical-Early Hellenist Greece.

My favorite introductory book recommendation would be:

Ancient Greece: A Political, Social and Cultural History by Pomeroy, Burstein, Donlan, and Roberts.

For and in-depth look at Athens (a very untypical polis/city state in any and most respects) try:

http://www.stoa.org/projects/demos/home
    http://www.stoa.org/athens/ (for pictures)

A related site offers a very detailed picture of late classical Olynthus (Philip made sure it did not make it into the Hellenistic era) derived from archeology.

http://www.stoa.org/olynthus/
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Default Re: id like to learn more about cith state greece(for lack of a better name)

Also, the first half of the book "The Classical World" by Robert Lane Fox provides a good overview of the Greek system.

ServiusTheGreat's Avatar Semisalis

much obligied gentlemen, much obliged
    Everybody want to be a Cat, Because a Cats the only Cat who knows where its at

The best way to learn about Ancient Greece and its many aspects for me is

www.mlahanas.de
    Go Minerwars Go! A 6DOF game of space mining and shooting. SAKA Co-FC, Koinon Hellenon FC, Epeiros FC. RS Hellenistic Historian K.I.S.S.