Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Formatted campaign modeldb files for all campaigns - Kingdoms & Vanilla 1.5

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Default Formatted campaign modeldb files for all campaigns - Kingdoms & Vanilla 1.5

The download includes the formatted modeldb files for all 4 Kingdoms campaigns as well as the basic (Vanilla) campaign. I have included the modeldb checker, adapted by me for these campaigns. The credit for the checker goes to Knight Errand, taken from here.

The modeldb files are taken from the latest versions.

ModelDB file names:
    The modelDB files need to be renamed once they are placed in their respective unit_model directory. Example:
    battle_models - Americas.modeldb ---> battle_models.modeldb

Modifying the checker:
    If you add factions not originally present then you will have to modify the checker to recognize them.
    - Right click the file, choose 'Edit with IDLE'
    - two files will open, close 'python shell
    - in the other file scroll down until this section:
    Code:
    def isfactionname( string ) :
        if string == 'england' :
            return True
    This is the section for the faction names. The end of this section should look similar to this (my version is already modified):
    Code:
        elif string == 'georgia' :
            return True        
        elif string == 'seljuks' :
            return True        
        else :
            return False

return False
    Now simply copy two lines: the one starting with 'elif', and the one underneath it. Paste it under the last 'return True' line. Substitute the faction name with your new faction. It should now look like this:
    Code:
        elif string == 'georgia' :
            return True        
        elif string == 'seljuks' :
            return True        
        elif string == 'my_new_faction_name' :
            return True        
        else :
            return False

return False
    Save and use

Download Link

Note: requires installation of Python, not higher then version 2.6.9. - last binary installation version is 2.6.6:

Version History

• 16th July 2015 - fixed the americas modelDB file and included version 0.55a of Hex35's tools
    • 11th June 2015 - included the alternative formatter and checker as per Hex35's post

Note: an updated version of Hex35's tool can be found here

Last edited by Gigantus; May 15, 2021 at 08:39 PM. Reason: link to updated Hex35 tool

Default Re: Formatted campaign modeldb files

You should specify in the thred title if those files are for MTW 1.3 and Kingdoms 1.5

Blog Entries

Default Re: Formatted campaign modeldb files for Kingdom campaigns

Changed the title to reflect that the files are from the Kingdom campaigns

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Formatted campaign modeldb files for all campaigns - Kingdoms & Vanilla

Excellent, thanks Gigantus, I lost these files, but thanks to your sig, I have them again!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Formatted campaign modeldb files for all campaigns - Kingdoms & Vanilla

One is glad to be of service

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Unless I'm missing something, the attached file only has the modeldb files for the four kingdoms campaigns but not for the m2tw campaign.
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

Blog Entries

Thanks for pointing that out. Updated with formatted modeldb file from vanilla with patch version 1.5

IZob's Avatar Citizen

Default Re: Formatted campaign modeldb files for all campaigns - Kingdoms & Vanilla 1.5

Great work gigantus. Just wondering who formatted campaign modeldb files? It must have taken a bit of programming to do.
    Contact me on Steam: steamcommunity.com/id/IZob/ or send a PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Formatted campaign modeldb files for all campaigns - Kingdoms & Vanilla 1.5

I referred to it in my OP - it could have been knight errand. Once I know for sure I will give credit accordingly for the tool. The campaign modelDB files have been converted by me using that tool.

Asta666's Avatar Libertus

im having unspecified error just after launching the game with the americas modeldb from this file, is there any other things i have to do other than replacing the original?

Blog Entries

Did you simply add the modeldb file to the unit_models folder of the americas campaign?
    Please explain step by step what you did.

yeah i did just that, log entry:
    [system.rpt] [error] Medieval 2: Total War encountered an unspecified error and will now exit.
    this occurs just after launching the game (before movies and menu)

Squid's Avatar Opifex
    Patrician Artifex Technical Staff

Blog Entries

Did you delete the files that need deleting when you unpacked everything?
    Under the patronage of Roman_Man#3, Patron of Ishan
    Click for my tools and tutorials
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -----Albert Einstein

descr geography files? yeah, the game works fine with the default modeldb, just not with this one unfortunately, its a lot easier to read >___<

Blog Entries

I will test it again.

Edit:
    It is indeed the formatted modelDB file that is faulty. The checker does not show any error, so it will be a while before I can provide a proper, fully tested file.

Edit2:
    I have converted another modelDB and tested it: it works, but the checker doesn't accept it. You can use this one until I find where the formatting error is that prevents the checker from accepting it.

Last edited by Gigantus; June 09, 2010 at 12:22 AM.

thanks gigantus, this one works fine

Blog Entries

One is glad to be of service

Civis

There's an error in M2:TW's "battle_models.modeldb" file.

Code:
    23 venetian_heavy_infantry 
    1 4 
    72 unit_models/_Units/LN_Brigandine_heavy/venetian_heavy_infantry_lod0.mesh 121 
    72 unit_models/_Units/LN_Brigandine_heavy/venetian_heavy_infantry_lod1.mesh 900 
    72 unit_models/_Units/LN_Brigandine_heavy/venetian_heavy_infantry_lod2.mesh 2500 
    72 unit_models/_Units/LN_Brigandine_heavy/venetian_heavy_infantry_lod3.mesh 6400 
    6 venice 
    77 unit_models/_Units/LN_Brigandine_heavy/textures/LN_ Brigandine_venice.texture 
    77 unit_models/_Units/LN_Brigandine_heavy/textures/LN_ Brigandine_normal.texture 
    58 unit_sprites/venice_Venetian_Heavy_Infantry_ug1_sprite.spr 
    6 venice 
    60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Italian_venice_diff.texture 
    60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Italian_venice_norm.texture 0  
    4 None 
    9 MTW2_Mace 0  
    17 MTW2_Mace_Primary 
    14 fs_test_shield 0 
    16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002 
    27 venetian_heavy_infantry_ug1 
    1 3 
    77 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/venetian_heavy_infantry_ug1_lod0.mesh 121 
    77 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/venetian_heavy_infantry_ug1_lod1.mesh 1225 
    77 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/venetian_heavy_infantry_ug1_lod2.mesh 6400 
    6 venice 
    81 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_venice.texture 
    81 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_normal.texture 
    54 unit_sprites/venice_Venetian_Heavy_Infantry_sprite.spr 
    6 venice 
    4 None 
    9 MTW2_Mace 0  
    17 MTW2_Mace_Primary 
    14 fs_test_shield 0 
    The lines

Code:
    and
    Code:
    should be swapped.

This fixes a CTD when entering the battle map with VHI in either army. At least it does with my game, others may not encounter this issue.

Icon1 Re: Formatted campaign modeldb files for all campaigns - Kingdoms & Vanilla 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by Nergui View Post
    There's an error in M2:TW's "battle_models.modeldb" file.

Code:
    23 venetian_heavy_infantry 
    1 4 
    72 unit_models/_Units/LN_Brigandine_heavy/venetian_heavy_infantry_lod0.mesh 121 
    72 unit_models/_Units/LN_Brigandine_heavy/venetian_heavy_infantry_lod1.mesh 900 
    72 unit_models/_Units/LN_Brigandine_heavy/venetian_heavy_infantry_lod2.mesh 2500 
    72 unit_models/_Units/LN_Brigandine_heavy/venetian_heavy_infantry_lod3.mesh 6400 
    6 venice 
    77 unit_models/_Units/LN_Brigandine_heavy/textures/LN_ Brigandine_venice.texture 
    77 unit_models/_Units/LN_Brigandine_heavy/textures/LN_ Brigandine_normal.texture 
    6 venice 
    4 None 
    9 MTW2_Mace 0  
    17 MTW2_Mace_Primary 
    14 fs_test_shield 0 
    27 venetian_heavy_infantry_ug1 
    1 3 
    77 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/venetian_heavy_infantry_ug1_lod0.mesh 121 
    77 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/venetian_heavy_infantry_ug1_lod1.mesh 1225 
    77 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/venetian_heavy_infantry_ug1_lod2.mesh 6400 
    6 venice 
    81 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_venice.texture 
    81 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_normal.texture 
    6 venice 
    4 None 
    9 MTW2_Mace 0  
    17 MTW2_Mace_Primary 
    14 fs_test_shield 0 
    The lines

Code:
    and
    Code:
    should be swapped.

This fixes a CTD when entering the battle map with VHI in either army. At least it does with my game, others may not encounter this issue.
    Hello first of all a nice find bro.
    But u should not have a CTD at all even if they are swapped coz they are just sprite files of vanilla which are already in the data packs.
    Secondly from the looks of it and from the custom battle also i found out it's not swapped in the formatted version accidentally but check the default vanilla entry is like this only.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    23 venetian_heavy_infantry 1 4 72 unit_models/_Units/LN_Brigandine_heavy/venetian_heavy_infantry_lod0.mesh 121 72 unit_models/_Units/LN_Brigandine_heavy/venetian_heavy_infantry_lod1.mesh 900 72 unit_models/_Units/LN_Brigandine_heavy/venetian_heavy_infantry_lod2.mesh 2500 72 unit_models/_Units/LN_Brigandine_heavy/venetian_heavy_infantry_lod3.mesh 6400 1 6 venice 77 unit_models/_Units/LN_Brigandine_heavy/textures/LN_ Brigandine_venice.texture 77 unit_models/_Units/LN_Brigandine_heavy/textures/LN_ Brigandine_normal.texture 58 unit_sprites/venice_Venetian_Heavy_Infantry_ug1_sprite.spr 1 6 venice 60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Italian_venice_diff.texture 60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Italian_venice_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 9 MTW2_Mace 0 2 17 MTW2_Mace_Primary 14 fs_test_shield 0 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002 27 venetian_heavy_infantry_ug1 1 3 77 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/venetian_heavy_infantry_ug1_lod0.mesh 121 77 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/venetian_heavy_infantry_ug1_lod1.mesh 1225 77 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/venetian_heavy_infantry_ug1_lod2.mesh 6400 1 6 venice 81 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_venice.texture 81 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_normal.texture 54 unit_sprites/venice_Venetian_Heavy_Infantry_sprite.spr 1 6 venice 60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Italian_venice_diff.texture 60 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Italian_venice_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 9 MTW2_Mace 0 2 17 MTW2_Mace_Primary 14 fs_test_shield 0 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

Even if we swap it back it causes a visual error as from far off they resemble vice-versa meaning ug1 model looks like normal and normal one looks like ug1 model.
    So it should remain the way it is.

BTW-Sprite files are the graphics of units that we generally after a distance of 6400 i.e. after the last lod mesh file of the model.
    Last edited by Ishan; July 10, 2010 at 05:13 AM.

Blog Entries

I agree with Nergui, the names suggest that the entries should be exchanged. But that will not be the cause of a crash as Ishan has pointed out, merely the use of a different sprite after the viewing distance of 6400 has been exceeded for that unit.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast