Thread: King's Bounty: The Legend (a MUST PLAY for Heroes of Might and Magic fans)

Default King's Bounty: The Legend (a MUST PLAY for Heroes of Might and Magic fans)

I decided to make a topic for this game because this game hasn't gotten enough attention.

The Premise:

An RPG version of Heroes of Might and Magic(HoMM). As a hero, you roam around the various maps with your army recruiting units which range from peasant hordes to Giant Snakes to undead Dragons, going on quests, finding treasure, and battling monster/villain armies.

Screenies:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Why you should play this game:
    -Excellent and fun turn based battle system
    -Strong HoMM feel and charm in both the battles and overworld maps
    -Huge variety of unit types able to be recruited
    -RPG elements work seamlessly with gameplay
    - Looks good, but doesn't require a super computer to run

Negative aspects:
    - While the world may be pretty amazing, the story is fairly weak. Typical "things are going bad for some reason. You're special. Go find out what's going on and then fix it!"
    - Graphics aren't going to exactly challenge Crysis in the technical department.
    - Early on, There are enemies that will completely destroy you if you decide to fight them. Avoiding combat is often the best tactic until you can recruit better/larger armies.
    - May keep you up until 3am.

The pros more than make up for the cons. Overall an excellent choice.

Official Web Site:

http://www.kings-bounty.com/eng/

Review:

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/battle-lord/912879p1.html
    "Son of a submariner!"

"Ahem. There's SAND on my boots"

"This is sickening! You sound like chapters from a self-help booklet!Prepare yourselves!"

Default Re: King's Bounty: The Legend (a MUST PLAY for Heroes of Might and Magic fans)

Quote Originally Posted by Kefka_101 View Post

The Premise:

An RPG version of Heroes of Might and Magic(HoMM).
    It's actually a remake (or sequel?) of the game that inspired HoMM.

-Neb

Renegen's Avatar Senator

Default Re: King's Bounty: The Legend (a MUST PLAY for Heroes of Might and Magic fans)

I read very positive reviews of it, if only

There has been some great turn based strategy games coming out lately. Fantasy Wars is another game that got great reviews and response from people. And of course I am centered on Disciples 3. I do hear King's Bounty looks and play great. Lot of good stuff out there.

edit: Also what's cool is that these games are being made by eastern europe. So piracy(presumably) did have some benefits, it created their own industry there! You don't see these great ideas from american devs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalins Ghost View Post
    I want cocks.

KaerMorhen's Avatar Vicarius

I'm going to buy this one for sure, I've already played the demo downloaded from net!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Neb View Post
    It's actually a remake (or sequel?) of the game that inspired HoMM.

-Neb
    Very true, but a lot more people recognize and know Heroes of Might and Magic than the original King's Bounty. "premise" I guess was the wrong word. "general idea of what the game is about" would have been better I guess.
    "Son of a submariner!"

"This is sickening! You sound like chapters from a self-help booklet!Prepare yourselves!"

Renegen's Avatar Senator

I didn't know there was a demo, I'm getting it. And tomorrow I'm heading to Future Shop and buying what I can get, Witcher? King's Bounty?
    I want cocks.

Renegen's Avatar Senator

I don't know if mods frown on double posts, anyway:

Since I originally didn't know there was a demo, I only tried it today. It rocks!
    So here is quick rundown for this excellent game. I recommend the demo to every strategy fan and if they like it to get the game.

Plus
    The game has a very HoMM feel yet it's also NOT a HoMM clone at all, it's very refreshing and good at the same time.
    The game is more of an RPG played on a HoMM style map, at least from the demo. I think in the small area just around the demo you have close to 10 quests. So you play the game in real time on a map pretty much identical to HoMM5. Enemies also move so you can avoid them, but most guard something.
    You can choose 1 of 3 classes, warrior, paladin and mage. They each have their own skill tree. There are spells like HoMM but also this thing called rage where you can summon elements. You get rage by fighting.
    Your heroe havs items, levelups, pretty much the same as HoMM, except you also have a leadership skill. Leadership determines how big your army can be, since you presubably use your same hero for the whole game, you can only field small armies at first.
    The game is balanced, always a next challenge or item you wish to buy. It's really good. One weakness of HoMM was how every new map every sacrifice you made was forgotten. Here hours of sacrificing and of smart battles can net you your old desired reward, or your perfect hero.
    Graphics are great! The art direction is not somber or too bright, but it works really well. Everything is detailed, it never feels cheap and just a perfect representation from the graphical perspective.
    Combat is actually better than HoMM5. There are more moving parts, it's more fluid, it's more fun.
    Bears! Who doesn't love them. There are a lot of animals actually.
    You can recruit a lot of different creatures. While I sense a vague "affiliation" among creatures I don't think there is a set "race" like the Tower, or the Fortress. You can mix and match.

Cons
    I could only have 5 army slots, they get filled far too quickly.
    You can't seem to autoresolve battles, some are boring. So get your scout skill to avoid weak enemies. And also not to get your ass kicked like I did.
    Story probably isn't the strongest from what I've seen, but they do add humour in there.
    You solve quests almost randomly, because you don't have an area map and you explore until you solve your quest.
    I want cocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegen View Post
    You can recruit a lot of different creatures. While I sense a vague "affiliation" among creatures I don't think there is a set "race" like the Tower, or the Fortress. You can mix and match.
    Every unit has an affiliation, you can mix and match as you please. However, there can be some consequences. For example, Mixing normal human or elf units with undead, or mixing dwarven and elven units in your army will result in a moral drop which will lower fighting abilities.
    "Son of a submariner!"