Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Last Kingdom - FACTION PREVIEW / CONNACHT

danova's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: The Last Kingdom - FACTION PREVIEW / CONNACHT

me too! (going on and waiting subforum)

Ok Antagonist, thanks for the information. Should I really give to them the (Ridire Bodyguard) javelins?
    Throwing weapons (darts and javelins basically) were commonly used at levels of society among the Gaels, so there's certainly nothing historically wrong about even kings having them (although it may have balance implications) I would more recommend adding a new light cavalry unit personally, but it is of course your decision. I drew up the unit lists for VI2 and from testing I believe javelin-armed cavalry have a good effect on the game, they are both historically acceptable and also give greater flexibility to the Celtic factions, who are somewhat disadvantaged by having less armoured infantry than the Vikings and Saxons. They were still primarily infantry orientated, but less so than the Germanic cultures and they did field light cavalry.

I guess I could also point out that it would be equally correct to make the Irish bodyguard an infantry unit... infantry generals fighting alongside their men was the tradition, but during the Viking Age it evolved and cavalry bodyguards (cavalry in general really) became both heavier and more common. Accounts of the greatest battles of the Viking Age in Ireland (eg. Clontarf) make it clear that the leaders and kings fought on foot just as the Saxons and Vikings, but it is known from other sources that others fought from horseback. For a foot general though "Ridire" would not be a good name as it implies cavalry (it's actually a Norse loanword to Irish, cognate with Riddar, Rider etc.) It's not necessarily more accurate to change them, just bear it in mind.

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

"If you grow tired of how you live, then follow me, and we will show you a different way."

Arthurian: Total War
    Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

What about having foot bodyguards as the "early" unit and mounted as the "late"?

Alternatively we could have the foot bodyguards as the normal ones, but make some starting generals use a mounted one and make a mounted bodyguard AND foot bodyguard both recruitable.

Ok. I see. These are really useful information, thank you. I’m afraid I have only a short time for this...

If I’m not mistaken the bodyguards will be a foot soldier, and the Irish culture will get a javelins light cavalry.
    If you agree too, let me know what kind of unit you suggest of foot guards. Sword with shield or two handed axe?
    How can I call them?
    How can we call the light cavalry javelonos troop?

What can you do with Scottish and the Wales bodyguard units? These are cavaliers now; instead of these will be foot soldiers?

Quote Originally Posted by Antagonist View Post
    Throwing weapons (darts and javelins basically) were commonly used at levels of society among the Gaels, so there's certainly nothing historically wrong about even kings having them (although it may have balance implications) I would more recommend adding a new light cavalry unit personally, but it is of course your decision. I drew up the unit lists for VI2 and from testing I believe javelin-armed cavalry have a good effect on the game, they are both historically acceptable and also give greater flexibility to the Celtic factions, who are somewhat disadvantaged by having less armoured infantry than the Vikings and Saxons. They were still primarily infantry orientated, but less so than the Germanic cultures and they did field light cavalry.

I guess I could also point out that it would be equally correct to make the Irish bodyguard an infantry unit... infantry generals fighting alongside their men was the tradition, but during the Viking Age it evolved and cavalry bodyguards (cavalry in general really) became both heavier and more common. Accounts of the greatest battles of the Viking Age in Ireland (eg. Clontarf) make it clear that the leaders and kings fought on foot just as the Saxons and Vikings, but it is known from other sources that others fought from horseback. For a foot general though "Ridire" would not be a good name as it implies cavalry (it's actually a Norse loanword to Irish, cognate with Riddar, Rider etc.) It's not necessarily more accurate to change them, just bear it in mind.

Antagonist

If you agree too, let me know what kind of unit you suggest of foot guards. Sword with shield or two handed axe?
    Just dismount the unit you have now, no need for changes.

How can I call them?
    How can we call the light cavalry javelonos troop?
    I'm not an expert on Middle Irish by any means, but I hope these would be better:

Bodyguard - either Lucht Tighe "household retinue" or Arras (in which case change the existing Arras to Aire "nobles")
    Horsemen - Marcshulaidh "horsemen"

Just to make clear, the horsemen would be reasonably effective light cavalry, among the better horsemen in the British Isles but not as heavy as some Welsh cavalry or Norman knights. They would have light armour, javelins and spears - can melee against other cavalry, and light infantry, but would die quickly against heavier infantry. Against these foes they would flank and attack the exposed rear of the unit with javelins, some nice tactical flexibility.

Also if I can recommend a few name changes (to make it consistent, you're varying between Irish and English ATM):

Irish Dartmen -> Gaenaghta "dart men"
    Bonnachts -> Bonnachta
    Viking Mercenaries -> Ostmen
    Gaelic Warrior -> Gall-Gaedhil "Norse-Irish" (this era is to early for really Galloglaigh/Gallowglasses, but their "ancestors" are around, this is only the beginning of the synthesis of Norse and Gaelic culture which will make the real thing)

What can you do with Scottish and the Wales bodyguard units? These are cavaliers now; instead of these will be foot soldiers?
    The Welsh bodyguard (called Teulu) should be mounted. The Scots (who are more similar to the Irish than the Welsh BTW) could again be either.

Glad to be of assistance, keep up the great work.

Antagonist
    Last edited by Antagonist; September 30, 2008 at 09:14 AM.
    "is ait an mac an saol"

"If you grow tired of how you live, then follow me, and we will show you a different way."

Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

Chevalier IX's Avatar Primicerius

Excellent work.Someone has finally done justice to the men of the isle

romy's Avatar Semisalis

baahh...nothing to say....

just beautiful work as always..!

pacco's Avatar -master-of-none-

WOW! Great work as always!
    BRILLIANT!

Skinner and modeller for Roma Surrectum
    Under the patronage of Tone
    my shield collection

Quote Originally Posted by Antagonist View Post
    Glad to be of assistance, keep up the great work.
    Antagonist
    Antagonist
    Ok, I will use most of the suggested things.
    Thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Ikusa IX View Post
    Excellent work.Someone has finally done justice to the men of the isle
    Ireland yeah...!
    Thanks mate.

Quote Originally Posted by romy View Post
    baahh...nothing to say....
    just beautiful work as always..!
    Quote Originally Posted by pacco View Post
    WOW! Great work as always!
    BRILLIANT!
    Thanks mates!
    I working hard.

I updated the unit list!

(thanks Antagonist)

wow! great work! awsome units

thank you!

I look forward to this Superb mod with great excitement.
    Your new Irish are excellent and attest to the high level of quality you and your tean strive for
    Bu ti must confess I second the suggestion to switch Connach to Ui Niell.
    I hope not to encur the wrath of your Norse Gods over this.

ok mate, ok, i think it over.

Kmotr's Avatar Laetus

I have one question: It will be posibble to renamed from Connacht or Munster to Ireland when you will unite all regions of Irish Isle?

This feature can be also used for Engled - if one faction (Wessex,Mercia,East Anglia,Northrumbia or Normandy) conquered all regions of mediaval England in Brittany. And of course there could be a lot of advatages like higher income special units and so on..

This system were used in the game Knights of Honor. But i dont know if its possible in Total war.

Its interesting for me but its just a question if its possible, so thanks and good luck

Good idea, but i dont know this is possible...
    Somebody?

Quote Originally Posted by Kmotr View Post
    I have one question: It will be posibble to renamed from Connacht or Munster to Ireland when you will unite all regions of Irish Isle?

This feature can be also used for Engled - if one faction (Wessex,Mercia,East Anglia,Northrumbia or Normandy) conquered all regions of mediaval England in Brittany. And of course there could be a lot of advatages like higher income special units and so on..

This system were used in the game Knights of Honor. But i dont know if its possible in Total war.

Its interesting for me but its just a question if its possible, so thanks and good luck

I understand that the Kalmar Union event in the Teutonic campaign does something like this (changes the name and colours of a faction at a certain event) but I've never seen it myself. It is bugged in vanilla Kingdoms, but it can be fixed and implemented correctly. IIRC you do need a spare faction slot for the new faction though (which is why the feature is rarely used) But since TLK has plenty of free slots, it might be possible...

Antagonist
    "is ait an mac an saol"

Wrath of the Norsemen
    Viking Invasion II

Kmotr's Avatar Laetus

Antagonist: "I understand that the Kalmar Union event in the Teutonic campaign does something like this".

Yeah, that sounds good.. There is no need to develop new mechanism and just use the existing one. Of course if danova want to go this way

It could be used for Ireland, one for England when Normans conquered Brittany (exept Wales and Scotland) and then when one of saxon kingdoms counquerd all regions of Brittany (exept Wales and Scotland) or make them vassal. It could be something like "Great Saxon Kingdom". And may be also something for vikings. You will have to unite northern lands before you will attack British Isles. But may be you will find there powerful Great Saxon Kingdom so you will rather plunder Frankish lands and so on..

Its just my idea so take it easy But i really likes some goals and improvment in campaings..

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast