Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Saturninus/Galerius

Winter's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Curia Hostilia, Consulate of Saturninus/Galerius

The gates to the Curia open, and in walks Praetor Lepidus in a dazzling white toga. He walks forth into the hall and is quickly motioned by the Consul to begin speaking.

"Senatores, we have taken Rhegium!"

The senate lets out a gasp of surprise and begins to applaud, when Lepidus raises his hands and quiets them down.

"If you will give me leave, I will describe to you the battle and the aftermath, as well as report on the infrastructure of our two new great towns."

The consul nods to Lepidus and he continues...

We arrived at Rhegium a week after I sent my last dispatch. The legion set up armed camps around the town, restricting flow of goods to and from the town. A small group of soldiers was also sent to the town's port city to stop the flow of ships to the region.

After a week or two of seige, I sent a messenger to the city and ordered them to lay down their arms and surrender to Rome. They refused, so battering rams were constructed from nearby trees. Soon we were ready to storm the gates.

On the ides of November, I ordered the men to prepare to take the town. Rorarii manned the rams with bruttian infantry, principes, and triarii right behind them. They advanced to the walls and the gate under a barrage of arrows and sling shot. As they reached the walls, pila and spears flew over the ramparts, landing around and on the rams, even killing a few unlucky soldiers.

The rams made short work of the walls and gate, and then the true work began. Principes and Bruttians poured through the gaps, meeting very stiff resistance. The fighting around the gates was particularly fierce. Centurions and soldiers related to me the horrific screams and stench of death. It was in this fierce melee that the leader of the rebels found a well deserved and inglorious death.

The battle at the gates raged for hours, and soon the enemy gained the upper hand. I was forced then to send in the triarii, who turned the tide of battle. Their glittering shields and great spears were their tools, and death was their craft. They wroght such unspeakable horror at the gates as to wake Pluto himself, and soon the cowardly rebels were retreating for the city square.

At this time I rode into the city myself, bringing along my Hastati maniples as reinforcement. What I saw was a broken army. The rebels had given as good as they got; nearly a third of our army was killed at the walls. I sent a runner to the city square with an offer for the rebels; lay down your arms, and in exchange half would live. They refused. It was just as well, as my men wanted some well earned vengance.

The hastati poured into the city square prepared for a fight. They threw their pila and charged the ranks of the rebels, cutting down many, but loosing men just as fast. Even after I sent in the Principes, Bruttians, and Triarii, the field was still even. I even committed my own bodyguard to the fight multiple times, in order to provide a boost in morale.

The melee soon degenerated into an all out massacre. By sunset, not a rebel was left alive. There was no cheering after this victory, however. Far too many Romans were lost.

Senators, we have captured Rhegium, but at what cost? Our army is battered from years of constant warfare, we must have peace! We must rebuild our legions, our infrastructure, our nation! I fear our weakness may be seen around the world if we do not act soon.

Senators, I will end this report with the infrastructure of our new towns, but not before I report this; A Carthiginean expiditonary force has been spotted in the south of Bruttium. They come with elephants and soldiers. I believe their intentions are peaceful, but clearly this is an ominous sign. Is Rome so weak that her borders may be violated at will? We must rebuild!

Lepidus pauses to cool himself down, and takes a scroll from a nearby slave.

Senators, what follows is the infrastructure of Rhegium and Tarentum, respectively. I have ordered the local tyrant's palaces demolished, and with the funds have begun to instill a local military presence, but the rest is open for discussion.

Rhegium:

Tarentum:

(Not pictured - Greek barracks)

Lepidus, after finishing his report, takes his seat in the Curia.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Jeb View Post
    Hah, you're always so helpful to threads Winter. No wonder you got citizen!

Caius rises and claps the Praetor on his back.

Well done indeed, sir, you have proven your worth by capturing this city quickly and efficiently. You have our thanks and praise.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Marcus Appuleius Saturninus stands and applauds:

Truly a job well done. I congratulate you Praetor. An asset to the Senate and to Rome.

apple's Avatar Searching for 42

Marcus stands as most of the other senators and walk to his college, "Well done Lepidus, a victory worth Rome it is."
    "Carthaginians here you say, I am not comfortable with that, something has to be done if we not wish arm our citizens once again."
    "Have word reach about the quaestor scandal yet?", "truly a costly and most unpleasant situation I say."

OOC: no offense to Voltaire, I know that he has some problems.
    Son of Legio
    Father of Paedric & Remlap
    Roma Surrectum II, Ages of Darkness II, Rome Total Realism & RTR: Imperium Surrectum Developer

Mundus Bellicus - TWC - ModDB - Discord - Steam

We shall fwee...Wode's Avatar Senator

Men it is less than pleasant that this force has been spotted, but do not overreact senators. This was no longer Roman land in their eyes. This was land of an independent nation to whom they had no treaty, so conquest was not against any treaty we own with the Karthadastim. I'm certain if they are informed of our ownership they will leave and renew their perpetual war with Syracuse.
    add "wick" on the end of my name.

Gaivs Atilivs Balbvs - senator YATS, age 30)

Nephew of Marcvs Atilivs Balbvs, died in battle aged 48

The forums Monty Python nutter!

Gaius Julius Civilis's Avatar Senator
    Castra Ultra Traiectum - Germania Inferior

I suggest we give the Punic band an ultimatum, they will get 6 months (ooc: 2 turns) time to leave this reconquered Roman land. If they are present in Roman land after that ultimatum expires we can begin to discuss forcibly removing this potential threat, but we must give our allies a chance to correct this misunderstanding.
    YOU ARE THE SENATE - SENATOR PROCVLVS IVNIVS VERVS MINOR - XXX
    PLEBEIAN

I believe our Princeps Senatus' plan is a good one. It will both give our allies time to rectify their mistakes and show themselves faithful, yet it will also show Rome to the world not as an irrational, but a thoughtful and just nation.

Winter's Avatar Civitate

I motion for a vote on the Princeps plan.

I would also beg the senate to consider refitting our army; the legions as i have shown are battered. We must recruit more men to face any possible threat.

I believe this motion should be put to vote.

Philos Sophos's Avatar Protector Domesticus

"I agree with the princeps senatus idea. This should be put on voting.

Also, I agree with your idea as well Senator Lepidus. Our legions can't hold for long without reinforcements. They need as much help as possible."
    Last edited by Xavier Dragnesi; October 06, 2008 at 01:29 PM.

O Sancta Simplicitas!

My colleague, if you would care to start the voting...

Winter's Avatar Civitate

ooc: Both consuls can open votes.

I think retraining the legions should be among the senate's top priorities. Bulking up the legions is not necessary to maintain our provinces, but the cohorts must be given replacements as soon as possible, for they now resemble a legion thrice afflicted with the punishment of decimation.

The motion has been passed for ultimatum to be sent. Which senator is now willing to leave for Bruttium to hand the ultimatum to the Carthaginian army?

We should send a man of great significance rather than a senator. I propose someone of Consular rank, past or present, hand the army the ultimatum. We must show the gravity of this issue and it's importance to this house. In fact, I think it should be the first task for one of the next consuls to deliver this ultimatum to the Carthaginian commander personally.
    Last edited by We shall fwee...Wode; October 08, 2008 at 02:26 AM.

That would be a good idea, let one Consul show the Carthaginians that Rome shall not accept this intrusion. And if they do not heed our warning, then the other Consul can assemble a force if neccesary.
    Every time you :wub:, god kills another kitten.
    If you're gonna hire Machete to kill the bad guy, you better make damn sure the bad guy isn't YOU!

'I understand, and I take the light into my soul. I will become the spear of Khaine. Lightning flashes, blood falls, death pierces the darkness.' , Dhrykna.

In that case, we must remember to put that on the agenda the moment the elections finish, and the new magistrates come into office.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345