Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: How to add a religion

Default Re: How to add a religion

Where are the buidling_info pictures? the ones in your described folder are the ones that appear in the build menu, the smaller, transparent bordered ones.

"Pugna pro cruce, no contra eam"

irishron's Avatar Cura Palatii

data\ui\culture namebuildings and data\ui\ culture name\buildings\constructed.

All I have is "construction" which also contains the same small building pictures.

"Pugna pro cruce, no contra eam"

C:\Games\Medieval II Total War\data\ui\eastern_european\buildings\construction instead of constructed. my error. This is where the vanilla ones are. The rest are in the mods' folders using the same directory structure.

Two documents left, and then we're done with the hardest part. Go to mymod/data/text/export_buildings.txt, and do the same thing that you did just now, just they are all spaced out so you need to find each one. Also if you want to edit the description, just replace whatever it says for a certian region with what you want. In my case it is mostly DO NOT TRANSLATE, and I jsut left it alone.
    I'm not sure how to do this part. Do you have to keep all the buildings in alphabetical order, even the new-named ones you've created?

I did everything except what I quoted and when I tried to start the game it crashed without even getting to the main menu. Is this the problem or is it something else because I don't wanna continue if something is already messed up? I can try to post the files I edited if someone is willing to help. Thanks.

Core_buildings have to be first. The game reads them in the order you pick but this is AFAIK an absolute.

So that means I can add my new buildings to the quoted part in any order and not just alphabetically? Do you think the CTD is being caused by having not finished this? I don't think my files are unpacked but I'm just making adjustments to a mod I downloaded and all the files were there already.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

If you get that kind of crash then there should be an error message in the log.

New buildings can be placed in any order in the EDB, just make sure you don't place them in between the lines of another.

For help there is the EDB validator

Ok, I've never tried to check the log before so I don't know what I'm doing, but I looked in the logs folder at system.log and it says this:

13:29:38.077 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    13:29:38.077 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Aug 3 2007 version bld-medieval2-kingdoms-104 (45562) ===
    13:29:38.077 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    13:29:38.077 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    13:29:38.093 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    13:29:38.093 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    13:29:38.093 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    13:29:38.093 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    13:29:44.994 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/SicilianVespers/data/descr_faction_standing.txt, at line 1571, column 44
    faction name not recognised
    13:29:44.994 [game.script] [error] Condition parsing error in mods/SicilianVespers/data/descr_faction_standing.txt, at line 1580, column 43
    faction name not recognised
    I don't know what any of that means, but I don't think that part about Sicilian Vespers is it because that's not the mod I'm working with. I'm not sure if that is the right log info because I'm not working on vanilla, but a mod-foldered mod.

Oh, btw, the alphabetical part I'm concerned about is in "data/text/export_buildings.txt" I already changed export_descr_buildings and it seemed to go ok.
    Last edited by jp1747; April 27, 2011 at 08:40 PM.

Blog Entries

It is not a critical error (crash causing), but if you wish, go into that file and see which faction name at those lines is causing the error. If there a multiple entries, compare with the mods descr_sm_factions.

data/text/export_buildings.txt - not need to keep it alphabetical, just add it at the end.

Yeah, I'm just not sure if that's what is causing the error I'm getting because I'm not altering any files that have to do with Sicilian Vespers. I'm working in a different mod folder called Age of Discovery. The log quoted above was in the vanilla folder and not the Age of Discovery folder. Is there a log somewhere in that specific mod-folder that I need to check to see what is causing the error?

Are these problems a result of not having unpacked files? Are they because I haven't finished the changes to data/text/export_buildings.txt yet?

Thanks for the advice, I'll just add the changes I make at the end.

Blog Entries

Open the CFG file that is in the root of 'age of discovery' and check for an entry similar to the one below, blue is the path\name of the log for that mod:

[log]
    to = logs/M2TW.system.log.txt
    level = * trace
    #level = * error

Ok, it says this:

[log]
    ## log potentially critical errors for debugging
    to = logs/system.log.txt
    level = * trace
    #level = * error
    So, I guess the vanilla log I was looking at is the correct one, but I don't think it's gonna help me pinpoint the error. I'll keep working at it and see if there is a breakthrough. I might post some of my files if anyone is willing to take a look later on.

building temple_protestant
    {
    convert_to temple_protestant_castle
    religion protestant
    levels small_prot_church prot_church prot_abbey prot_cathedral huge_prot_cathedral
    {
    small_prot_church city requires factions { denmark, scotland, england, }
    {
    convert_to 0
    capability
    {
    agent priest 0 requires factions { denmark, scotland, england, }
    happiness_bonus bonus 1
    religion_level bonus 1
    agent_limit priest 1
    }
    material wooden
    construction 1
    cost 800
    settlement_min town
    upgrades
    {
    prot_church
    }
    }
    prot_church city requires factions { denmark, scotland, england, }
    {
    convert_to 1
    capability
    {
    happiness_bonus bonus 1
    religion_level bonus 2
    agent_limit priest 1
    }
    material wooden
    construction 2
    cost 1600
    settlement_min large_town
    upgrades
    {
    prot_abbey
    }
    }
    prot_abbey city requires factions { denmark, scotland, england, }
    {
    capability
    {
    happiness_bonus bonus 2
    religion_level bonus 3
    agent_limit priest 2
    }
    material wooden
    construction 3
    cost 3200
    settlement_min city
    upgrades
    {
    prot_cathedral
    }
    }
    prot_cathedral city requires factions { denmark, scotland, england, }
    {
    capability
    {
    happiness_bonus bonus 3
    religion_level bonus 4
    agent_limit priest 2
    population_health_bonus bonus 1
    }
    material wooden
    construction 4
    cost 6400
    settlement_min large_city
    upgrades
    {
    huge_prot_cathedral
    }
    }
    huge_prot_cathedral city requires factions { denmark, scotland, england, }
    {
    capability
    {
    happiness_bonus bonus 5
    religion_level bonus 5
    agent_limit priest 2
    population_health_bonus bonus 3
    }
    material wooden
    construction 6
    cost 10000
    settlement_min huge_city
    upgrades
    {
    }
    }
    }
    plugins
    {
    }
    }
    building temple_protestant_castle
    {
    convert_to temple_protestant
    religion protestant
    levels small_prot_chapel prot_chapel
    {
    small_prot_chapel castle requires factions { denmark, scotland, england, }
    {
    convert_to 0
    capability
    {
    happiness_bonus bonus 1
    religion_level bonus 2
    agent_limit priest 1
    }
    material wooden
    construction 1
    cost 800
    settlement_min town
    upgrades
    {
    prot_chapel
    }
    }
    prot_chapel castle requires factions { denmark, scotland, england, }
    {
    convert_to 1
    capability
    {
    happiness_bonus bonus 2
    religion_level bonus 3
    agent_limit priest 1
    }
    material wooden
    construction 2
    cost 1600
    settlement_min large_town
    upgrades
    {
    }
    }
    }
    plugins
    {
    }
    }
    Does this all look fine or am I missing something?

Could it be a descr_strat error? I deleted the old churches from there and there is no religious building so maybe the religious building is a prerequisite for somethin else that's still there? The code looks ok.
    Last edited by jp1747; April 28, 2011 at 10:54 AM.

Ok there is defintely something wrong with it because I deleted the quoted stuff from my export_descr_buildings and the game didn't crash. Can someone help me figure out what's wrong with it?

Also, is there somewhere besides maps/base/descr_regions which controls the percentage of religious population? Because I have Edinburgh set to 80 Protestant and 20 Catholic and it shows up in game as 1% Protestant.
    Last edited by jp1747; April 28, 2011 at 03:36 PM.

Did you put the new buildings in the export_buildings.txt?

Did you add your new religion to the descr_religions.txt and religions.tct?

I think I just need to add it to export_buildings.txt.

Is what I copy and change suppose to look like this:

{abbey}abbey
    {abbey_desc}DO NOT TRANSLATE
    {abbey_desc_short}DO NOT TRANSLATE
    {abbey_eastern_european}Abbey
    {abbey_eastern_european_desc}An Abbey is the first of the large Catholic churches, and is considered by many Europeans to be the building that signals that a town has grown into a city proper. Be aware that while its size is a boon in a thriving settlement, an Abbey is simply too large a structure to keep within the confines of castle courtyards, should the ruling lord wish to convert his settlement.
    {abbey_eastern_european_desc_short}An Abbey converts a moderate percentage of the region to Catholicism, improves happiness, and allows the Priest agent.
    {abbey_greek_desc}DO NOT TRANSLATE - NOT MEANT FOR THIS CULTURE
    {abbey_greek_desc_short}DO NOT TRANSLATE - NOT MEANT FOR THIS CULTURE
    {abbey_mesoamerican_desc}DO NOT TRANSLATE - NOT MEANT FOR THIS CULTURE
    {abbey_mesoamerican_desc_short}DO NOT TRANSLATE - NOT MEANT FOR THIS CULTURE
    {abbey_middle_eastern_desc}DO NOT TRANSLATE - NOT MEANT FOR THIS CULTURE
    {abbey_middle_eastern_desc_short}DO NOT TRANSLATE - NOT MEANT FOR THIS CULTURE
    {abbey_northern_european}Abbey
    {abbey_northern_european_desc}An Abbey is the first of the large Catholic churches, and is considered by many Europeans to be the building that signals that a town has grown into a city proper. Be aware that while its size is a boon in a thriving settlement, an Abbey is simply too large a structure to keep within the confines of castle courtyards, should the ruling lord wish to convert his settlement.
    {abbey_northern_european_desc_short}An Abbey converts a moderate percentage of the region to Catholicism, improves happiness, and allows the Priest agent.
    {abbey_o}abbey_o
    {abbey_o_desc}DO NOT TRANSLATE
    {abbey_o_desc_short}DO NOT TRANSLATE
    {abbey_o_eastern_european}Orthodox Abbey
    {abbey_o_eastern_european_desc}An Abbey is the first of the large Christian places of worship, and is considered by many Europeans to be the building that signals that a town has grown into a city proper. Be aware that while its size is a boon in a thriving settlement, an abbey is simply too large a structure to keep within the confines of castle courtyards, should the ruling lord wish to convert his settlement.
    {abbey_o_eastern_european_desc_short}An Abbey converts a moderate percentage of the region to Orthodox Christianity, improves happiness, and allows the Priest agent.
    {abbey_o_greek}Orthodox Abbey
    {abbey_o_greek_desc}An Abbey is the first of the large Christian places of worship, and is considered by many Europeans to be the building that signals that a town has grown into a city proper. Be aware that while its size is a boon in a thriving settlement, an abbey is simply too large a structure to keep within the confines of castle courtyards, should the ruling lord wish to convert his settlement.
    {abbey_o_greek_desc_short}An Abbey converts a moderate percentage of the region to Orthodox Christianity, improves happiness, and allows the Priest agent.
    {abbey_o_mesoamerican_desc}DO NOT TRANSLATE - NOT MEANT FOR THIS CULTURE
    {abbey_o_mesoamerican_desc_short}DO NOT TRANSLATE - NOT MEANT FOR THIS CULTURE
    {abbey_o_middle_eastern_desc}DO NOT TRANSLATE - NOT MEANT FOR THIS CULTURE
    {abbey_o_middle_eastern_desc_short}DO NOT TRANSLATE - NOT MEANT FOR THIS CULTURE
    {abbey_o_northern_european_desc}DO NOT TRANSLATE - NOT MEANT FOR THIS CULTURE
    {abbey_o_northern_european_desc_short}DO NOT TRANSLATE - NOT MEANT FOR THIS CULTURE
    {abbey_o_southern_european_desc}DO NOT TRANSLATE - NOT MEANT FOR THIS CULTURE
    {abbey_o_southern_european_desc_short}DO NOT TRANSLATE - NOT MEANT FOR THIS CULTURE
    {abbey_southern_european}Abbey
    {abbey_southern_european_desc}An Abbey is the first of the large Catholic churches, and is considered by many Europeans to be the building that signals that a town has grown into a city proper. Be aware that while its size is a boon in a thriving settlement, an Abbey is simply too large a structure to keep within the confines of castle courtyards, should the ruling lord wish to convert his settlement.
    {abbey_southern_european_desc_short}An Abbey converts a moderate percentage of the region to Catholicism, improves happiness, and allows the Priest agent.
    I don't know why some of them have _o_ after Abbey and if I need to cut those out of this section before I modify it?

_o_ is Orthodox religion.
    _i_ or _m_ is Islam. Don't remember which.
    In my mod, _s_ is Shaman.

Remember to add it for each culture or it will still ctd.

Alright, awesome. The crashes have been fixed. I can build churches even though they look like barracks from Rome lol. My main problem remaining is that the population in my provinces is still starting out Catholic even after I edited data\world\maps\base\descr_regions.

Example:

London_Province
    legion: London
    London
    england
    Western_Rebels
    232 41 46
    dyes, tin, wool, atlantic, explorers_guild, woodsmens_guild, horde_target, sailing
    religions { catholic 20 orthodox 0 islam 0 pagan 0 heretic 0 native 0 protestant 80 }
    But it's still 90 ish % Catholic when I begin the campaign. Any reason why?

EDIT: Its not the only problem. I'm having an issue with it crashing when I exit a campaign and then not wanting to load the save.
    Last edited by jp1747; April 28, 2011 at 04:47 PM.

Did you delete themap.rwm and start a new campaign?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast