Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: A Guide for Missions

Default A Guide for Missions

A Guide to Missions
    By DarkKnight

*Note to mods: Do not merge posts. The forum can't handle one post this long.

-Table of Contents
    I.Overview
    1.What is a mission?
    2.How do I get a mission?
    3.What happens when I get a mission?
    4.Do I have to complete every mission?
    5.Do I have any other options?
    6.How do I join a mission?
    7.How do I join a crusade?
    II.Walkthroughs
    1.Join Crusade
    2.Return Home City
    3.Cease Hostilities
    4.Break Alliance
    5.Build Church
    6.Spread the Word of the Lord
    7.Gift from Pope
    8.Give a "Donation"
    9.Give Relic
    10.Recruit Priest
    11.Assassination
    12.Blockade Port
    13.Take Settlement
    14.Gift from Council
    15.Marry Princess
    16.Annex Settlement
    17.Send Emissary
    18.Reinforce Region
    19.Recruit Agent
    20.Acquisition
    21.Trade Agreement
    III.The Mechanics of Missions and Modding
    1.Missions
    2.Text
    3.Paybacks
    4.External Paybacks
    IV.References
    1.Mission Descriptions
    2.Mission Titles
    3.Mission Triggers
    4.Null Payback Descriptions
    5.Missions
    6.Mission Paybacks
    7.Payback List
    8.Null Paybacks
    9.Expire Triggers
    10.Supported Missions
    11.Mission Parameters
    12.Specific Parameters
    13.Parameter Definitions
    14.Payback Parameters
    15.Rewards and Penalties
    16.Formulae
    17.Variables

If you like this guide you might also like my Guide for Guilds.

Update Log:
    This is a guide I will be continually updating. If you notice anything that is incorrect, please contact me so I can change it. If you have different theories please post those. If you want anything added tell me and I will.
    1/30/07 Fixed the tables from stretching the page
    Last edited by DarkKnight; January 30, 2007 at 10:50 PM.

Default Re: A Guide for Missions

Overview

What is a mission?
    A mission is a goal given to you by a source. Upon successfully meeting this goal you might win a reward, but upon failing the mission you might be penalized. A mission might be the Pope asking you to build a church or even another faction's heir asking you to assassinate his faction leader.

How do I get a mission?
    You get a mission assigned to you according to your actions in the game. Each mission has a score. Your actions might increase or decrease the score of the mission. The exact score threshold or probability of recieving a mission is unknown. All we know is that the higher a missions score is, the more likely it will be given.

What happens when I get a mission?
    You will recieve an event pop up informing you of the mission. The pop up will tell you who is giving you the mission (normally the Pope or the Council of Nobles), what they wish for you to do, how long you have to do it, what happens if you fail, what happens if you succeed, and any specific info you need to complete it.

For example, if you recieve the take rebel settlement mission it will tell you the following:
    Take Rebel Settlement

Our great nation appears weak to tolerate such insolence from these rebels. The Council recommends you capture this rebel settlement and assert your authority.
    Then it will tell you that you have 15 turns to capture it, that you will recieve some of the best units available, and the name of the settlement to capture.

Do I have to complete every mission?
    The short answer: No

However, you have to be willing to accept the penalties that will follow failure. When deciding whether to complete a mission, do the following:
    1. List the pros of completing the mission. This includes the rewards given from the mission and any other strategic value that may be gained from your actions in the mission.
    2. List the cons of completing the mission. This includes any strategic value that may be lost from your actions in the mission.
    3. List the cons of failing the mission. This includes the penalties given from the mission and any other strategic value that may be lost from your actions in the mission.
    4. Weight the above and see if the pros of completing and the cons of failing outweigh the cons of completing.

If you go through the process and are still unsure, it is always best to default to completing the mission. By completing the mission you will be pleasing at least one party, so unless you alienate another by doing so it is best to complete the mission.

However, you may not want to complete a mission in some circumstances. For example, you are allies and big trading partners with Turkey, and the Pope asks you to blockade their ports. It may be in your best interest to lose some of the Popes respect in order to maintain your trade.

Do I have any options besides completing and failing?
    Funny you asked that. As a matter of fact, you do. Most missions have expirations on them. That means if one of their expirations is triggered, you are no longer obligated to complete the mission. You recieve no reward, but more importantly no penalty.

Did the the Explorers Guild ask you to take a settlement owned by a faction which you don't want to go to war with. But then again, you are working on getting the guild's headquarters, and don't wish to upset them. Try to negotiate an alliance with the faction owning the settlement. If you manage to cement the alliance, the mission expires and you are no longer obligated to take it.

How do I join a crusade?
    Find the general you want to send on the crusade and right click his unit card. If a crusade mission is active, then there will be a button at the bottom of the units scroll to join the crusade. If the button is not active make sure the general has at least 8 units in his army and is outside of a settlement.

Are there any "missions" that aren't missions?
    The missions system is just like any other trigger/event systems in the game only the trigger is fired according the the score system. This makes it useful for a number of things that do not necessarily fit the definition of a mission above.

For example, the game has a "mission" programed in it where the council will just give you money.

Walkthroughs

Join Crusade:
    There are a couple of variations to this mission. In this mission the Pope will ask you to send an army on a crusade. You may even be asked to send your faction heir or leader on the crusade. The lower your papal standing is the more likely you will be asked to send an heir or leader.

If you fail the mission, your papal standing will drop. The mission reward depends on your current papal standing. If the Pope doesn't like you very much you will likely recieve no reward for the mission and only be penalized for failing. If you already have a good standing with the Pope your relations with him will improve more. The mission lasts 10 turns. It will only expire if the crusade ends or you get excommunicated. If a specific character was ordered on the crusade, and that character dies, the mission will also expire.

Joining a crusade will automatically put you in a state of war against the target of the crusade. The targets may be any non Christian or excommunicated faction. Carefully weigh the expenses of going on the crusade versus the benefits of completing the mission before making your decision. Make sure all of the following expenses are accounted for: short term and long term effects of war with the target, drop in relations with the targets allies, the absense of the crusading general in your homelands, how long it will take to complete, men deserting, and how it will affect your current game plan. Then make sure all of the following benefits are accounted for: no upkeep of crusader units, double movement points for crusader units, experience for units on the crusade, chivalry for your general, higher papal standing-- lower papal standing if you fail, and any lands conquered.

If choose to join the crusade, you have completed the mission. Yep, its that easy. You don't have to actually capture the target settlement. Joining is good enough. But there are always nice benefits of capturing the target.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

First find a general with 8 units, outside of a settlement, and have him join the crusade.

As soon as you do, the mission is complete.

Lets capture the city for kicks and giggles.

We send our ship loaded up with our crusaders to the city.

Almost there.

We land and siege the city.

We conquer the city. HOORAY!

Return Rome to the Papal States:
    If you manage to get Rome in your possession the Pope may ask you to return the city. For example, those blasphemous French invade Rome, then you take the city from the French. The Pope will ask you to return the settlement. I found that if you take Rome from the Papacy directly, then reconcile, you will not be asked to return the settlement. I also found that if you diplomatically recieved the settlement from the French (in my previous example) then you will not be asked to return the settlement.

The rewards range from nothing to chest of florins, greatly higher papal standing, and your leader adored by the Pope. The penalties range from a chance of excommunication or inquisition to a slap on the wrist. The reward and penalty depend on your papal standing. If you have a very low papal standing you will just recieve a small papal standing increase for giving the city and risk excommunication or inquisition for keeping the city. With a very high papal standing you will recieve all of the good things listed above.

When making your decision consider the benefits of having the city versus the wrath of the Pope. I would only advise keeping the city if your papal standing is higher than .7 or you plan on envoking the wrath of the Pope anyways in the near future.

To complete the mission just click the check mark. You lose the city and your garrison is automatically relocated.

Cease Hostilities:
    You will be given this mission when you are a Catholic and attack a fellow Catholic. If you or the Catholic you attack are excommunicated you will not recieve this mission. Even if both of you are non-excommunicated Catholics, there is still a chance that you won't recieve this mission-- at least not immediately. Eventually chances are that you will recieve the mission but it is possible to war for quite some time before recieving this mission.

If you are given the mission the Pope will ask you not to commit any acts of aggression (attacking, blockading, seiging, etc) against the faction for a certain number of turns. That duration is not a set number, but depends on the situation. If you commit an act of aggression before the mission is over, then you fail and the penalty might be excommunication. If your papal standing is greater than .2 you will not be excommunicated, but your papal standing will take a dive. Completing the mission is as simple as not attacking the faction. Your only reward is not being penalized. The mission expires if you or the target becomes excommunicated or the target is eliminated.

When deciding whether to obey the Pope decide if conquest of the target faction is worth excommunication. If you are excommunicated, you all of your cities will be significantly less orderly. You will most likely have to lower taxes and increase garrisons to maintain order. You also will have worse relations with Catholics. If you plan on war mongering, you might not mind excommunication that bad. You will no longer have the Pope bugging you every 5 seconds about ceasing hostilities and no more pleasing the Pope by completing his other missions. Your conquest will be valuable in the long term, so if you can suck up the loss in the short, when you reconcile you will be much stronger. But if you are a diplomatic man, or simply someone who doesn't feel like dealing with the disorder, obeying the Pope would be the wise thing to do.

If we try to attack those dirty Milanese.

But if we wait it out.

Break Alliance:
    If you are allied with a faction who has a papal standing below nuetral (the lower the more often this mission will occur) the Pope may ask you to cancel your alliance with the faction. This mission most often occurs when one of your allies gets excommunicated.

You must decide whether your relations with the Pope or your relations with your ally are more important to you. If you break the alliance all you do is avoid penalty. However if you keep the alliance then your papal standing will suffer. The mission will expire if you are excommunicated, the target faction reconciles, or the target faction is eliminated.

If you decide to break the alliance, find a diplomat. Then find an diplomat, army, or settlement of your ally. With the diplomat selected right click the diplomat/army/settlement to engage negotiations. At the bottom of the list of proposals there will be the "cancel alliance" proposal. Click that. Then at the bottom, near the center, a little off to the right, there is a button that is now active which will cancel the alliance.

Send an emissary.

Select cancel alliance

YA!

Build Church:
    Occassionally the Pope will notice you don't have a particular place of worhip built in a settlement (when you are capable of building it) and ask you to build it. It could be a small church, church, abbey, cathedral, etc. For places of worship below abby, you will recieve no reward and lose minor papal standing for failing. For abbeys, a reward of 1000 florins along with a gain in papal standing is introduced. For cathedrals and huge cathedrals there is no penalty. When you complete a mission to build a cathedral you gain 1000 florins a papal standing. For huge cathedrals you gain 2000 florins and even higher papal standing.

The duration of the mission varies from the level of place of worship. You obviously will have more time to build a huge cathedral than a small church. You will also only recieve the mission if you can afford financially the cost to construct. The mission will expire only if you become excommunicated or you lose the settlement.

If you decide to build the church, which usually is a good idea, simply open the construction queue and add the church to the list. As soon as construction is complete so is the mission.

Spread the Word of the Lord:
    When one of your settlements is less than 60% Christian by population and you have a priest nearby, then the Pope will ask you to convert the population to a certain percentage. You can check how Christian a settlement is by clicking the "settlement details" button on the building menu for a settlement. However your mouse over the Catholic icons and a tooltip will tell you the percentage Catholic in the province.

The rewards and penalties depend on your papal standing. If you have terrible papal standing you will only recieve a small boost in papal standing and florins but take a noticeable drop in papal standing if you fail. If you are in good standing with the pope then you will not recieve a penalty and will recieve greater gain in papal standing and more cash for succeeding.

You will be given 15 turns to convert the population to the target percentage. The percentage you need to convert depends mostly on the campaign difficulty. On harder difficulties you will have to convert more people. The mission expires only if you are excommunicated.

To complete the mission, simply send a priest to the region. Once the priest is in the region he will start converting the population. It is a passive ability, meaning that you don't have to press a button or give any order of any sort to start converting. Simply placing the priest in the province does the trick.

Track the conversion process through the settlement details to see how much progress is being made. Once the percentage reaches the target the mission is complete. Not only do you get the rewards from the Pope, but chances are your priest gained some piety in the process.

Gift from Pope:
    If the Pope likes you he will occassionally give you a gift of florins. The amount depends on exactly how much he likes you. It varies from 500 to 1000 to 2000 florins. The gift is given when there are no other papal missions eligeable to be given and your papal standing is above .1. The mission is completely independent of how many missions you completed for the Pope, the percentage of your population that is Catholic, the number of heretics you have converted, the number of churches you have built, etc. Just those two conditions above. Although those other things do indirectly affect it by raising papal standing. But they do not directly affect it.

Gift

Give a "Donation":
    This mission is supposed to be issued when you have a low papal standing. When issued the mission is to give a 5-15% of your income to the Pope for a turn. If you reject the Popes order then you lose papal standing. You recieve no reward for giving the money. However, in play testing I was not able to trigger the mission. I don't know if I was just getting really unlucky or there is a mistake in the programming which prevents the mission from being issued.

Give Relic:
    When you acquire a holy relic (type of ancillary) then the Pope might request that you give it to him. If you are in good papal standing, the Pope will see you as faithful enough to possess the relic yourself. But if you have low papal standing and find a relic, he will demand it from you. Depending on how much the Pope doesn't like you changes the penalty. If he really doesn't like you then you lose papal standing. If he just doesn't like you then you lose papal standing as a penalty but gain some as a reward. If he is nuetral about you, then he will only give you a moderate reward.

If your papal standing is between -.1 and .1, do not give him the relic. You will not recieve a penalty for not doing so. If your standing is below -.1 weigh the papal standing consequences versus the benefits of the relic.

Recruit Priest:
    If you have less than one priest for every three settlements and have a settlement that can produce a priest that is less than 95% Catholic, then the Pope will ask you to recruit a priest in that settlement. If you recruit the priest you will gain small papal standing and 500 florins. If you fail, you will lose a tiny bit of papal standing. You will have five turns to recruit and the mission expires if you are excommunicated, lose the settlement, or the priest limit is reached.

Unless you really need to crank out other units in the recruit queue, or are in such a huge financial crisis that you can't afford to upkeep another priest, you should complete the mission. It is as easy as openning the recruit queue and clicking the priest icon. The bonus is then you get re-embursed 500 florins for your efforts.

Assassination:
    You might be asked occassionally by the council or the Pope to "hasten" a persons death into the next world. The council will ask you to kill other factions generals, sometimes heirs, and even on occassion faction leaders. They will be more inclined to have you assassinate enemy generals and rival generals on your own territory, although you might still be asked to assassinate nuetral generals in their own territory. The Pope might ask you to assassinate heretics, witches, and sometimes even cardinals. The if a faction has bad papal standing this puts their cardinals on the Popes "to die list". You will never be asked to assassinate a character when you have less than a 40% chance of success, nor will the council ask you to assassinate an ally.

Like always, if you fail a council mission there will be no penalty. There is a 1 in 3 chance you will be rewarded with 1000 florins, a 1 in 2 chance for 3 units, and a 1 in 6 chance for 3 of the best units. If you fail to assassinate a witch or heretic for the Pope and you have terrible papal standing you will have an inquisition sent to your lands. If your papal standing is higher papal standing and money are the rewards and penalties. Towards nuetral standing you recieve minor standing reward and penalty. At higher papal standing you face bigger standing rewards. Also, if your chance of success is less than 60% then you will recieve a slightly better reward. Failing to assassinate a cardinal will not result in inquisition ever, but there are harsher papal standing penalties. But if you have high papal standing there are also larger rewards. This mission also has the reward bonus if the chance of success was less than 60%.

The you will have 10 turns to complete the mission. The mission expires if the target dies or goes into hiding (cannot be found) before you can assassinate him. The council version expires if you ally with the target faction, and the papal versions expire if you are excommunicated.

When deciding whether to complete the mission, keep in mind that if your assassin is caught and killed, the result is a declaration of war. Make sure you have overwhelming odds or you don't care if you have to war with the faction before sending an assassin after their character. Make the decision whether the possible chance of war is worth, along with drop in global standing, is worth the payoffs (and penalty aversion) before sending the assassin.

If you decide that it is most beneficial to complete the mission, it is always to handy to have a spy. Have the spy scout out the area and search for weaker targets. Remember you have 10 turns to assassinate the character. Unless you already have an 80%+ chance, it would probably be smart to train your assassin for his final task. Look for captains roaming around, they are the easiest targets. If you can put a couple more subterfuge on your assassin before the mission, your chance of success will increase substantially. Also, check other assassins you have. See if any of them have any transferable retinue that you can give to your all-star assassin to help him out. When training try to leave at least 3 turns to complete the mission. If your assassin misses, but lives, you then will have extra opportunities to kill the target. When you are ready right click the target. If you don't know where the target is, open the missions scroll, find the mission, and click the magnifying glass button to locate the target. Head to that square. Then cross your fingers and attempt the assassination. If you fail, try again. Your chances might decrease because there is a chance that your assassins traits decrease and/or the target gained a bodyguard retinue or trait.

If you off the target, then the success scroll will appear. If your assassin got caught and killed, forget about the mission penalty, you got yourself a war to fight (unless the target was a witch or rebel). Remember, even if your assassin is caught and killed, you can still send another assassin to try to finish the job. It might be a good idea to train more than one assassin for the job when the mission is issued.

Blockade Port:
    You may get this mission from the Pope or the Council. The Council will give you this mission to financially pressure your enemies. If you are enemies with a faction the Council will ask you to blockade the port. Keep in mind that you are always enemies with rebels. So if there is a rebel port you could be asked to blockade it. Although the Take Rebel Settlement mission will probably have a higher score in this scenario, so you will be asked to take instead more often. The Pope will occasionally ask you to blockade a port. The Pope might ask you to blockade an excommunicated Catholic, or merely just another religions port.

The rewards for blockading a port at the request of the council vary. 1 out of 2 times you will recieve the three of the best units available, 1 out of 3 times you will recieve 1000 florins, and 1 out of 6 times you will recieve three units. If you fail at the Councils request, then you recieve no penalty. If the Pope requests you to blockade a port, its paybacks vary by your papal standing. If you have a papal standing higher than .4 then you recieve 1000 florins and gain .2 standing with no penalty for failing. If your papal standing is between .1 and .4 you recieve the same reward but lose .05 standing if you fail. If your papal standing is between -.4 and .1 you recieve 500 florins and gain .1 standing, but lose .05 standing if you fail. If your papal standing is between -.7 and -.4 you recieve the same reward but lose .1 standing if you fail. If your papal standing is less than -.7 you recieve no reward and lose .1 standing if you fail.

If the mission is issued to you, you will have 10 turns to complete the mission. If it is assigned to you by the Pope you will have to hold the blockade for 3 turns. If the Council assigned you the mission, the blockade duration varies by distance to your capital*. If the port is a short distance away, you will have to blockade it for 3 turns. If it is a moderate or long distance, you will have to hold it for 2 and 1 turns, respectively.

*According the the code, the distances should be based on the distance between the nearest ship and the port. However, I found during play testing that the distance between the port and your ship is independent of the mission trigger. For example, if I disable all blockade missions except blockade distant, the mission should only be triggered if a ship is 4 to 5 turns away from the port. However I found that in some situations the ships could be anywhere (even right next to the port and at the farthest tile away on the map) and the mission still gets assigned. Meanwhile for some other ports, I could not get the mission to trigger at all. From my testing, it seems that the distances defined in descr_mission.txt are the number of turns from your capital to the port. When testing as Venice, I could get the mission to trigger for Toulhouse with ships anywhere (even with no ships present). Then I could not get the mission to trigger with Portugals port under any circumstances.

The mission will expire from the Council if you ally with the faction who's port you were sent to blockade, another faction blockades the port first, or the port's province is taken. The papal version expires if you are excommunicated, the target faction reconciles with the Pope, another faction blockades the port first, or the port's province is taken.

When deciding whether to complete the mission always consider the circumstances. There is no penalty for failing the Council's mission, but there also isn't really any reason not to complete it. You are already at war with the target so all you have to lose is the resources it takes to send a fleet to blockade the port. You may not want to complete the mission if you plan on signing a ceasefire with the faction, as the blockade will hurt your relations. Also if you sign a ceasefire with the faction after the mission has been assigned, the mission does not expire. It expires only when you sign an alliance. So that would be the only other reason not to complete the mission if you have the resources to complete it. If the Pope asks you to blockade it, and your papal standing isn't very good, it should be more appealing to complete the mission to avoid penalty. Remember, with a very high papal standing nothing bad happens if you fail the mission, except not getting the reward.

If you decide to complete the mission, don't underestimate the number of ships required. You might be able to get away with sending one ship, but remember you must hold the blockade. Especially on missions where you have to hold the blockade for three turns, you might want to consider sending a larger fleet. While you are blockading the port, enemies will try to lift the blockade if they have ships in the area. Also don't forget about enemy fleets and pirates intercepting you en route to the target port. Blockading a port is as simple as right clicking the port. You can tell that the blockade is up when the port appears to have a "fence" surrounding it on the campaign map.

Once the mission is complete a pop up will appear telling you that you completed the mission and will tell you your reward and where the units (if any) that you won are located. Once the mission is completed you are no longer obligated to hold the blockade. However you may find it beneficial to keep the target faction under financial pressure. This mission has a long "exclude duration" which means that you will not likely see it for awhile after being assigned it.

Take Settlement:
    There are a couple missions that will ask you to take a settlement. The Council may ask you to take a rebel province, they may ask you to take an enemy province, or the Explorers Guild may ask you to take a settlement in the New World. If the council asks you to take a settlement, the reward will be either 2500 florins or four of the best units available worth up to 1200 florins a piece. There is a 50% random chance whether the reward is money or units. If you fail the council's take settlement mission, you will not be penalized. If the Explorers Guild asks you to take a settlement you will be rewarded with 30 points toward the guild in all cities. However, if you fail, you will be penalized with a loss of 30 points toward the guild in all cities. You will have 15 turns to complete the council mission and 10 to complete the guild mission. The mission will expire if you ally with the target or another faction captures the settlement first.

The council missions are triggered when there is a rebel province bording you and you have at least one unit within a radius of 20 from the settlement. Use the pythagorean theorem to figure out the distance from the X and Y coordinates. To figure out the coordinates hover your mouse over the settlement, open the command console (cheat console) and type, "show_cursorstat". Then hover your mouse over the unit closest to the settlement. Find the coordinates of that point. Subtract the X coordinates of the two locations and subtract the Y coordinates of the two locations. Square those two numbers then add the resulting two numbers together. Take the square root of that number. That is the distance. If the distance is 20 or less, the take settlement mission may be issued (provide that you border the settlement).

For the Take Rebel Settlement, it will always be able to be triggered when the conditions above are satisfied, because the player is always at war with the rebels. For the Take Settlement Council mission to be triggered you also must be at war with the faction.

Once you have been issued the mission make the decision of whether you will follow it. Make sure you have the resources to complete it first. Analyze the settlement (a spy is handy) and determine how large of a force you will need to conquer it. Then make sure you can afford to allocate the necessary number of troops. If possible it is always a good idea to send more than you need. Make sure you don't put your current settlements at risk by moving your invading force out of the area. If after analyzing the situation you determine that you are capable of securing the settlement without putting yourself at too much risk for your liking make the decision. Like always, weight the benefits against the costs. Take into account the cost of the troops, garrisoning the settlement, any order problems that may arise, and the strategic situation. Then balance that against the long term profitability and benefit, the strategic value, the rewards, and in case of the Explorers Guild mission the penalty.

If you decide to take the settlement, device your battle plan. Spies are always helpful to have for missions like these. Analyze the garrison stregnth, wall stregnth and level, and other strategic circumstances for whether you will seige or assault the settlement. If you are pressed for time to complete the mission, or the settlement can hold out a seige for longer than the duration of the mission, you may be forced to assault when you don't want to. Seiging the settlement is normally the more favorable option. Although it isn't as fun, you won't suffer as many casualties.

Once the settlement falls you have completed the mission and will recieve your reward. If the reward is units they will be available at your Capitol. Make sure in your planning you took into account the units that you need to garrison the settlement.

Gift from Council:
    This mission is the easiest to complete out of all of them. All you do is get money. Depending on your treasury will change the amount you recieve. If you have up to 10000 florins you will recieve 1000 florins as your reward. If you have between 10000 and 20000 florins you will recieve 2000 florins as the reward. If you have more than 20000 florins in your treasury your reward will be 3000 florins.

Recieving a gift from the council does not appear to be tied to any of your actions. One might take the assumption that if you complete a lot of the councils missions they might give you this as a gift for it. However, I have found that there only seems to be one thing that triggers this mission-- the absense of any others. If the conditions are met for the Take Rebel Settlement mission, then this mission will not be triggered, and instead the Take Rebel Province one will.

Gift

Marry Princess:
    This is another mission that I could not get to trigger. But what should happen is when you have an unmarried princess, and there is a rival general with less than 5 loyalty, you will be asked by the Council to seduce that general into your court. The rewards are identical to the Assassinate General mission and there is not penalty. You have 10 turns to arrange the marriage and it expires if either the princess or target die or the princess becomes too old or marries another.

Before accepting the mission, send a spy to learn more about the character. Examine his traits and determine if he is better than any other suitors trying to marry your princess. If you decide to complete the mission, then right click the general with your princess to find out the chance of marriage. If it is too low train up your princesses charm. Send her to factions that you do not have trade rights, alliance, or military access with. Negotiate those agreements with factions using your princess and her charm will rise. It helps to have a large treasury as many factions may not want those agreements with you, especially military access. When you are ready, marry off your princess. If it works out, congratulations, you completed the mission.

Annex Settlement:
    If your army strength is three times that of a rival faction, the council may ask you to annex one of their settlements. The reward is the same as the Marry Princess mission and there is no penalty for failing. But also consider the annexed settlement as another reward. You will have ten turns to annex the settlement after the mission is issued. It expires if the target settlement is taken or if the faction is eliminated.

Before deciding to complete the mission, think of what you are willing to give up in order to annex the settlement. You may have to give up a region of your own. Also it might take quite a bit of money to secure the deal. Analyze the map. Try to estimate how much the target faction will demand for the settlement. Determine if you are willing to give up what you estimate you will need to. Then send a diplomat to the target faction. Under demands select the give region demand. Then select from the list, the settlement that the council asked for you to take. Then offer what you feel necessary. The most influential will be your own cities and money, but in some situations trade rights, alliance, and other options will balance the proposal more in your favor. Once you have an offer that you think will be accepted, make the offer. If it is rejected, then you have a lot of diplomacy to conduct before the mission fails, or simply accept failure. If it is accepted then the mission is complete.

Send Emissary:
    If you haven't made an agreement with faction the Council may ask you to do so. If you do you, half the time the reward will be 500 florins, and half the time two units. If you fail the mission there is no penalty. You will have 5 turns to make an agreement and the mission expires only if the target faction is eliminated.

I suggest always completing this mission, as it is so easy and there are no bad effects. An agreement could be something as simple as giving them 1 florin as a gift (although for some reason they reject a 1 florin gift, I found that they will accept 10 florins though). An agreement could also be more complex. It could be anything from a single gift to trade rights, with an alliance, trading cities, and exchanging map information. It is normally best to get trade rights with the faction. You lose nothing, and you get higher income. Once you have made the agreement, the mission is completed.

Reinforce Region:
    The Council may ask you to reinforce a settlement's garrison if they feel that it is too weak. I found that this garrison stregnth is about 120 men. If you have less than that they will ask you to reinforce the garrison. If given the mission, they will ask you to garrison at least four units. There is no penalty for failing. If you do it, you will recieve 500 florins 50% of the time, and 2 units the other times. You will have five turns to bolster the garrison. The mission expires only if you lose the settlement.

If you can afford it, complete the mission. Even if you can't afford four new units, if you can relocate a couple of existing units, use them. All you have to do is reinforce the garrison for one turn, so you can return them to their original posts after the mission is complete. Once you have added four units to the garrison, the next turn the mission will be complete.

Recruit Agent:
    If you have a guild, they may ask you to recruit the agent that they are associated with. If you have the assassins guild they will ask you to recruit an assassin. The reward is 10 points in all cities with the guild along with 100 florins and the penalty is a loss of 10 points with the guild in all cities (see my Guide for Guilds for more information on the subject). The guild will approach you about the mission if you have less than 1 of the agent for every 8 settlements you have. For more information about how to complete the mission see the papal mission, Recruit Priest.

Acquisition:
    If you have a Merchants Guild, they may ask you to acquire the assets of a competitor. They are more likely to ask you to acquire the uber-merchants who are sitting on the most valueable resources in the area. So you may have some difficulty completing this mission sometimes. Because of this, it is always handy to have your own 7+ finance merchant to use to complete these missions.

If you succeed you will be rewarded with 200 florins and 20 points towards the guild in all cities. If you fail you will lose 20 points in all cities with the guild. You will have 10 turns to complete the mission, and it will only expire if the merchant dies or cannot be found.

You should try to complete the mission, especially if you want to stay on the guilds good side. The only thing you have to lose is any merchants that could be acquired if the acquisition backfires. Before attempting the mission, it is a good idea to train your best merchant first. Find weaker rival merchants and acquire them to gain finance. For this mission it is always good to have back up merchants. Unless you overpower the rival merchant by about four finance you will not have very good odds. When ready, right click the enemy merchant with your merchant selected, and click the "seize assets" button. If the acquisition succeeds then the mission is complete.

Trade Agreement:
    The Merchants Guild also might ask you to negotiate a trade agreement with a faction. If you succeed you will gain 100 florins and 10 points with the guild in all cities. If you fail, you lose 10 points in all cities with the guild. You have 10 turns to secure the deal and it expires if the target faction is eliminated or declares war on you.

There really isn't any reason not to complete this mission. It is win-win for you. You get the rewards of the mission plus more income from trade with the faction. To complete the mission send an emissary to the faction to engage diplomacy. Select trade agreement from the list of offers. Then make the offer. If they reject it, or the game says it is demanding, throw in more incentive for them. Add some money to the deal. Once the deal is complete so is the mission.

Mission Mechanics and Modding

This section is a discussion on how the missions system works and how to mod it. Remember that many of this is just my theories, as not much is explained in the documents.

Missions are an event that is triggered according to its score. For certain missions, there are other triggers that are hardcoded. For example the Join Crusade mission requires a crusade to be active for the mission to be issued. In descr_mission.txt we can configure many of the missions settings.

All missions are hardcoded and cannot be modded themselves. There are supported missions that have hardcoded triggers and parameters that can be modded into something entirely different. For example, lets use the Gift from Council mission. This is simply a mission that is triggered when its score is higher than any other council missions. It immediately gives the payback without any other prerequistite (such as acquire the target in the acquisition mission). Because of this we have a lot of flexibility in terms of what we can do with it.

Perhaps the most powerful thing in descr_missions.txt is the variations function. By leaving a space after defining the mission, you can define a variation by writing text. For example there is a variation for the Council Blockade Port mission called Blockade Distant. This is indentical to the original except that it requires a further distance and you don't have to hold the blockade as long.

So in our example of the Gift from Council, we could create a variation of this. We could make it anything we want. For example, we want to make a variation where when the mission is triggered your global standing rises .2. We copy and paste the original mission, then add the variation. For example we could change
    Code:
    mission gift_from_council
    to
    Code:
    mission gift_from_council global_standing

A mission is issued according to its score. The mannor in which it is, is not documented. Therefore we don't really know when or how a mission is issued. However, I have my theories. My leading theory is that each supported mission type has a formula to calculate its score based on the parameters. At the start of every factions turn the game calculates the score of each mission, if the faction currently has no current missions issued already (excluding crusades). Then the game selects and issues the mission that has the highest score. However, in play testing I found that when you eliminated all missions except the Gift mission and eliminated the exclude duration that the mission wasn't issued every turn. Sometimes it would be issued back to back, sometimes even three turns in a row. Then other times it would be issued every other turn. There even were some gaps lasting 10 turns without the mission being issued. When I turned on the exclude duration, the mission appeared much less frequently. It rarely appeared twice within 10 turns. This leads me to believe that not only does it take the highest score, but that score also has to exceed a certain threshold. In order for that to work, the score would have to be calculated and added to the previous turns score every turn. And in the end, I am still really confused on how exactly missions are issued based on the score. The only known right now is that higher score means higher chance of being issued.

Every mission can use the score_modifier parameter. This parameter will multiply the score after it has been calculated. So for example, if we want or global standing variation to the gift from council to appear less often than the original we can set the score modifier to a value around .25.

Another parameter is the exclude duration. This is a measure to prevent the same mission from being issued multiple times in a short timeframe. The exclude duration is NOT the time that must pass before the mission can be issued again. It lowers the score during that duration so it will be less likely to be issued. The exclude duration is inversly proportional to the score. As the larger the exclude duration the more it lowers the score. The score gets modified by the calculated score times the number of turns since the issuance of the mission. That number gets divided by the exclude duration. That value is the new score. If the exclude duration is not defined then it defaults to 0, which means there is none. So for example, if we don't want our global standing mission to be issued for awhile after its last issuance we can set the exclude duration to 30. That means that the first turn after it has been issued the score will be 1/30th of its calculated value. The second turn 1/15th the value. The third turn 3/30ths ofthe value, and so forth. After 30 turns have passed the exclude duration is ignored until the mission is issued again.

Another way we can limit the availability of a mission is to use the max_score parameter. This sets a ceiling for the score. For example, if there is another mission with a score higher than 100, we want our global standing mission not to be issued. We would set the max_score to 100.

Most of the missions also have parameters specific to them. These parameters are defined below the paybacks and affect when the mission can be issued, what happens when the mission is issued, and other miscellaneous things. For example the Gift from Pope mission has the pfp_thresh parameter. This parameter is the minimum papal standing that a faction must have to be issued this mission. I do not know whether one missions parameters can be used in another as I have not had time to test. It would be a good community project to find out which parameters are compatable with other missions. I am guessing that most of the parameters are not compatable, but there are probably some that can be used with certain other missions. There also might even be parameters that were coded into the source code, but then never used in descr_missions.txt.

There also is the turn_start parameter for all missions. This is the first turn which this mission can be issued on. The default value is 2. For example, we dont want our global standing mission to be available until the 25th turn. We set this value to 25.

Another universal parameter is the duration. This value is how long player has to complete the mission. In our global standing mission we will not define this because it is given instantly.

The mission source is who is giving the mission. This is the first line in a missions code. For example a mission issued by the council says:
    Code:
    COUNCIL_MISSION
    One from the Pope says:
    Code:
    POPE_MISSION
    These text strings are looked up in expanded.txt.strings.bin. Use Alpaca's string.bin converter to convert the file into .txt, which can be opened in notepad. Then read a tutorial on this site about how to convert back to strings.bin.
    In expanded.strings.bin it looks for what ever you wrote _SOURCE}. So for example if COUNCIL_MISSION is placed as the source, it will look for {COUNCIL_MISSION_SOURCE} in expanded.txt.strings.bin. It then looks next to the "}" for the text to display in game as the source. This has no effect on the mission itself, just the text that appears in game. There is no actual difference between a mission being issued by the council or the pope, it is all cosmetic. It is the hardcoded functions of the mission and the paybacks of the mission which actually make it from the Pope in terms of gameplay.

There are then four image_path parameters: image_path_issued, image_path_expired, image_path_success, and image_path_failed. These look up in data\ui\culture\eventpics the image to diplay when the mission is issued, expired, completed, or failed. For example, if the image_path_failed is Pope_Disapproval then when the mission is failed the picture will be Pope_Disapproval.tga.

The rest of the text is located in expanded.txt.strings.bin or missions.txt.strings.bin. The game looks for source_ISSUED in expanded.txt.strings.bin for the text to display when you hover your mouse over the mission popup when it is issued. It works similarly for expired, success, and failed. The game looks for the name of the mission _PROPOSAL, _EXPIRY, _SUCCESS, and _FAILURE for the text to display when the mission is issued, expired, completed and failed. It also looks there for the penalty and reward text. It looks for the name of the payback _PENALTY_DESCR, _PENALTY_PRE_DESCR, _REWARD_DESCR, and _REWARD_PRE_DESCR. When a mission is issued it will display _PENALTY_PRE_DESCR as the text next to penalty and _REWARD_PRE_DESCR as the text next to reward. When the mission is completed it displays the _REWARD_DESCR. When the mission is failed it displayed the _PENALTY_DESCR. Remember that all of these text attributes are all cosmetic. You can have it say that you get 1000 florins, but you have to code in the 1000 florins elsewhere for the faction to actually recieve 1000 florins.

The final parameter of missions is the paybacks. The payback is the penalty and reward from completing or failing to complete the mission. The payback can be anything, as long as you define it above in the paybacks. The game reads the payback_id and looks for it in the section above. For the example of our global standing mission lets have it refer to a payback called mod_global_standing.

The payback parameter can also have parameters of its own. There are four valid parameters you may use: papal_standing, difficulty, cash, and random. papal_standing means that a faction with up to this amount of papal standing will recieve this payback versus the others. Difficulty is normally used with assassination type missions. If the chance of succeeding was less than this value the player recieves this payback. Cash places the condition on the treasury. If the player has less than the value next to cash, they recieve that payback. Random picks a random is the percentage chance of this payback being selected.

For example the following payback means that there is a 20% chance of payback1 being selected for the faction, a 70% chance for payback2, and a 10% chance for payback3.
    Code:
    random 0.2 payback_id payback1
    random 0.7 payback_id payback2
    payback_id payback3
    This one means that if the player has less than 1000 florins in his treasury he recieves payback1. Between 1000 and 2000, payback2. 2000-3000, payback3. If the player has above 3000 florins he recieves payback4.
    Code:
    cash 1000 payback_id payback1
    cash 2000 payback_id payback2
    cash 3000 payback_id payback3
    payback_id payback4
    The following means the player recieves payback2 unless the missions chance of success is less than 60%, in which case the player recieves payback1.
    Code:
    difficulty 0.6 payback_id payback1
    payback_id payback2
    The following means that if the factions papal standing is less than -0.7 then the faction recieves payback1. Less than nuetral but greater than -0.7 then payback2. Between 0.0 and 0.7, payback3. Above 0.7, payback4.
    Code:
    papal_standing -0.7 payback_id payback1
    papal_standing 0.0 payback_id payback2
    papal_standing 0.7 payback_id payback3
    payback_id payback4
    The payback parameters can also be combined. The example below means that by default the faction recieves payback three. But if the factions treasury is less than 1000 florins there is a 50-50 chance of the factions recieving payback1 or payback2.
    Code:
    random 0.5 income 1000 payback_id payback1
    income 1000 payback_id payback2
    payback_id payback3
    When setting up complex payback conditions make sure none of them overlap, and if they do, you have the random condition on the overlapping ones. I am not sure what would happen if you made something like this and the faction had less than 1000 florins and less than 0.4 papal standing:
    Code:
    income 1000 payback_id payback1
    papal_standing 0.4 payback_id payback2
    If I had to guess I would say that it would always pick payback1, because it is the first one it reads. However, this could be fixed by this:
    Code:
    income 1000 random 0.5 payback_id payback1
    papal_standing 0.4 random 0.5 payback_id payback2
    That way if the faction has both less than 1000 florins and papal standing below 0.4, then there is a 50% chance of recieving payback1 and a 50% chance of recieving payback2.
    If you wanted to specifically define what would happen in that scenario you could do this:
    Code:
    income 1000 papal_standing 0.4 payback_id payback1
    income 1000 payback_id payback2
    papal_standing 0.4 payback_id payback3
    In this case the faction recieves payback1 in our scenario and recieves separate paybacks if just the income is less than 1000 or just the papal standing is less than 0.4.

Now that we went through all of this, I can tell you that we don't even have to use a variation to create our global standing missions. All we have to do is add another payback to the original mission with the random condition. We could make it so 20% of the gift to council missions raise global standing. We would do that by adding a payback with the condition random 0.2.

Now to review this is what a mission structure looks like:
    Code:
    mission name of mission (variation name)
    {
    parameters
    paybacks
    {
    payback_id
    }
    additional parameters
    }
    Now you think you know everything about missions, don't you? Well you just scratched the surface. There is a whole nuther world of paybacks out there.

At the top of descr_missions.txt there is the payback definitions. Any payback that you defined below in the missions has to be defined up here.

A payback starts with the payback_list parameter. After this parameter goes the payback_id. So for our global standing payback this is where we would write mod_global_standing. If we had called it something else, we would write that here instead.

Next comes the rewards and penalties. If reward isn't defined then there will be no reward for completing the mission. The same goes for penalty, if it is not defined, there is not penalty.

A reward starts with stating "reward".
    Then you state a reward parameter and an attribute. You can state as many rewards as you like in one reward. For example if I want to give the faction 1000 florins for completing the mission it would state:
    Code:
    money 1000
    money is the parameter and 1000 is the attribute. I can state as many of these rewards as I would like. For example:
    Code:
    money 1000
    buildable_unit 800 2
    best_buildable_unit 1200 1
    The above means that the faction recieves 1000 florins, 2 units worth 800 florins a piece, and one of the best unit available worth up to 1200 florins. You can see a list of valid parameters and their attributes in the references.

After you state your rewards, you state your penalties in the same way. Everything is identical except here you would put the bad things, and this is what happens if you fail.

However, all this stuff is shallow. Inquisition chance? Money? Units? Didn't I promise that you had only scratched the surface earlier? I mean you can't really do much with these. That is where the modders best friend, null_paybacks, enters.

A null_payback is essentially what its name implies. It does nothing. Zip, nada, zilch, zero, nothing. When a faction is awarded a null payback, the faction recieves nothing. The null payback does nothing by itself, but accompanied by external codes it is POWERFUL!!!

For example, lets say we want the faction to be awarded with a trait when they complete the mission. We go into export_descr_character_traits.txt and test the trigger when "LeaderMissionSuccess" under the condition PaybackID name of payback that the null payback is under. Lets say when the faction completes missionX their payback is trait which gives them null_payback TRAIT. Right now null_payback TRAIT gives them nothing. But lets add this to export_descr_character_traits.txt
    Code:
    Trigger trait1
    WhenToTest LeaderMissionSuccess
    Condition PaybackID trait
    Affects trait  1  Chance  100
    Now when the faction completes the mission they recieve null_payback TRAIT and their leader gets the trait you defined (in italics). You could also change the 100 after chance to make it a probability of recieving the trait. For example if you changed it to say "chance 50" it would mean there is a 50% chance that the leader gets the trait.

We can also refer to paybacks in descr_faction_standing.txt. In the same mannor that we used in traits we can increase factions standing towards each other using null paybacks.
    Code:
    Trigger 0100_Success_Pope_Min_Reward_Only

Condition PaybackID pope_min_reward_only

FactionStanding factions { papal_states } 0.1
    The above means that when the faction completes the mission and recieves the payback pope_min_reward_only, the factions papal standing rises 0.1. In descr_mission.txt there will be a null_payback in the reward.

So now what exactly do null_paybacks do? Now that you have made it so that the papal standing rises when you complete the mission, you need a message to inform the player. The game looks up the null_payback in expanded.txt.strings.bin for the text to display when the faction recieves the null payback, or has the opportunity to. If you remember from way above when I talked about where the text came from. These null paybacks are what the game looks up when displaying text from when you completed the mission. It has the PRE text, what it displays when the mission is issued. Then it also has the text it displays when the mission is completed or failed. So add in the benefit through another document, then add a null_payback as the reward/penalty. Then make sure the null payback is defined in the appropriate text documents.

Back to our global standing mission, we would go the descr_faction_standing.txt and add this:
    Code:
    Trigger Global_Standing_Mission

Condition PaybackID mod_global_standing

FactionStanding global 0.2
    I haven't done extensive testing with descr_faction_standing.txt so I don't know if you need the number before the name of the trigger, but if you do, add the appropriate number.

Now lets go to the paybacks and add this:
    Code:
    payback_list mod_global_standing
    {
    Reward
    {
    null_payback MOD_GLOBAL_STANDING
    }
    }
    Now we go to the text files and add in:
    Code:
    {MOD_GLOBAL_STANDING_REWARD_DESCR}Your reputation with the world has improved moderately.
    There we have it. 20% of the time the Gift from Council mission pops up, our global standing will increase by 0.2 instead of recieving the gift.

With the null paybacks we can get really creative with this. There are so many potential possibilities for missions besides the intended purpose.

References

Mission Descriptions
    MissionTitleIssuedExpiredSuccessFailed
    join_crusadeJoin the Crusade OR Your Heir must join the Crusade. OR Your Leader must join the Crusade.The Pope has called a holy Crusade, and the Pope has sent the call to arms to all devoted Catholic factions. You must create a Crusading army within the time limit to take part. OR The Pope has requested that character name demonstrate his faith and personally join the Crusade.The Crusade has ended; you can no longer join. OR Your General has died. As a result, you can no longer join the Crusade. OR Your faithless faction has been excommunicated. You have no place amongst the worthy; you can no longer join the Crusade.You have pleased the Pope and proven your faith by successfully joining the Crusade.You have disappointed the Pope by not meeting your obligations to Christendom and failing to join the Crusade.
    return_papal_settlementReturn Rome to the Papal States.The Pope has requested that you return Rome to The Papal States. His Holiness will be greatly in your debt if you can see fit to return his home city.xYou have greatly pleased His Holiness by successfully returning Rome to The Papal States.You have disappointed His Holiness by failing to return Rome to The Papal States.
    cease_hostilitiesCease HostilitiesHis Holiness demands that you stop shedding the blood of your fellow Christians. Cease hostilities against this faction immediately and do not carry out hostile acts for the duration of this mission.His Holiness is no longer concerned about the fate of this faction as it has been eliminated. OR Your faithless and ignoble faction has been excommunicated, the Papacy no longer expects such as you to listen to the request of His Holiness. OR As this faction has been excommunicated, it matters little how much of their faithless blood you spill. You are no longer charged with ceasing hostilities with this faction.You have greatly pleased His Holiness by refraining from hostile actions against your fellow Christians. He only hopes this newfound peace will last.You have greatly saddened His Holiness by failing to cease hostilities with your fellow Christians, and continuing to shed the blood of your brother.
    assassinate_cardinalAssassinate CardinalThis Cardinal's profanity and disrespect has deeply distressed His Holiness. The Pope assures you that God himself will smile upon you if you can deal with this delicate matter (kill him!).As this Cardinal has died, His Holiness has no need for you to 'deal' with him. OR You have been excommunicated, His Holiness no longer trusts you with this important duty. OR This Cardinal cannot be found, His Holiness has no need for you to 'deal' with him.You have done the Papacy a great favour, and much pleased His Holiness by successfully assassinating this Cardinal.His Holiness is disquieted by your failure to 'deal' with this Cardinal.
    assassinate_witch_hereticAssassinate the hereticThis blasphemer is a stain on God's Earth and the Pope wishes you to cleanse it. Assassinate this person immediately!His Holiness has no need for you to assassinate this person, as they have perished. OR Your faithless faction has been excommunicated; His Holiness does not trust the likes of you to uphold the Word of God. You are no longer charged with the assassination of this person. OR His Holiness has no need for you to assassinate this person, as they cannot be found.You have pleased His Holiness by successfully assassinating this blasphemer, and thus making the world more pleasing to His eye.You have disappointed His Holiness by failing to assassinate this blasphemer as asked.
    papal_blockade_portBlockade PortThe Pope only wishes that this prodigal son be returned to the fold. Perhaps cutting his income will make him see the light. Use your fleet to blockade this port for at least 3 turns.This port is already blockaded, you are no longer charged to blockade this port. OR Your faithless faction has been excommunicated. You are no longer trusted to blockade this port. OR As this faction has returned to the fold and been reconciled, you are no longer charged to blockade this port. OR This settlement has been taken, you are no longer charged to blockade this port.You have pleased the Pope and the Lord by successfully blockading this port.You have let down the Pope and the Almighty by unsuccessfully blockading this port.
    papal_blockade_port blockade_hereticBlockade PortThe Pope wishes you to blockade this port for at least 3 turns. Such chastisement will serve to both punish these heretics and stop their unholy rot from spreading to the faithful.This port is already blockaded, you are no longer charged to blockade this port. OR Your faithless faction has been excommunicated. You are no longer trusted to blockade this port. OR As this faction has returned to the fold and been reconciled, you are no longer charged to blockade this port. OR This settlement has been taken, you are no longer charged to blockade this port.You have pleased the Pope and the Lord by successfully blockading this port.You have let down the Pope and the Almighty by unsuccessfully blockading this port.
    blockade_port blockade_paganBlockade PortThe Pope wishes you to blockade this port for at least 3 turns. Such chastisement will serve to both punish these heathens and stop their unholy rot from spreading to the faithful.This port is already blockaded, you are no longer charged to blockade this port. OR Your faithless faction has been excommunicated. You are no longer trusted to blockade this port. OR As this faction has come to the fold, you are no longer charged to blockade this port. OR This settlement has been taken, you are no longer charged to blockade this port.You have pleased the Pope and the Lord by successfully blockading this port.You have let down the Pope and the Almighty by unsuccessfully blockading this port.
    papal_blockade_port blockade_islamBlockade PortThe Pope wishes you to blockade this port for at least 3 turns. Such chastisement will serve to weaken these enemies of the Holy Mother Church.This port is already blockaded, you are no longer charged to blockade this port. OR Your faithless faction has been excommunicated. You are no longer trusted to blockade this port. OR As this faction has come to the fold, you are no longer charged to blockade this port. OR This settlement has been taken, you are no longer charged to blockade this port.You have pleased the Pope and the Lord by successfully blockading this port.You have let down the Pope and the Almighty by unsuccessfully blockading this port.
    break_allianceBreak AllianceIn uncertain times like these, it is important to know who one's true allies are. The Pope demands you break your alliance with this profane and heretical faction to prove your loyalty.As this faction has perished, you are no longer required to break your alliance with them. OR Your faithless faction has been excommunicated. You are no longer required to break your alliance with this faction. OR As this faction has returned to the fold and been reconciled, you are no longer required to break your alliance with them.You have pleased the Pope and proven your loyalty by successfully breaking your alliance with this faction.His Holiness can only wonder what went wrong; you have disappointed the Pope by failing to break your alliance with this faction.
    papal_build_church city_small_churchBuild a Small ChurchIt has come to His Holiness's attention that this city is bereft of a proper place of worship. The Pope wishes you to build a Small Church in this city.Your faithless faction has been excommunicated; the Pope cares naught what you build in this city. OR As you have lost this city, you are no longer charged with building a Small Church there.You have pleased His Holiness by successfully building a Small Church in this city, and thus propagating the proper worship of the Lord in this city.You have disappointed His Holiness by failing to build a Small Church in this city, and thus hampering the proper worship of the Lord in this city.
    papal_build_churchBuild a ChurchIt has come to His Holiness's attention that this settlement is bereft of a proper place of worship. The Pope wishes you to build a church in this settlement.Your faithless faction has been excommunicated; the Pope cares naught what you build in this settlement. OR As you have lost this settlement, you are no longer charged with building a church there.You have pleased His Holiness by successfully building a church in this settlement, and thus propagating the proper worship of the Lord in this settlement.You have disappointed His Holiness by failing to build a church in this settlement, and thus hampering the proper worship of the Lord in this settlement.
    papal_build_church city_abbeyBuild an AbbeyIt has come to His Holiness's attention that this settlement is bereft of a proper place of worship. The Pope wishes you to build an Abbey in this settlement.Your faithless faction has been excommunicated; the Pope cares naught what you build in this city. OR As you have lost this city, you are no longer charged with building an Abbey there.You have pleased His Holiness by successfully building an Abbey in this city, and thus propagating the proper worship of the Lord in this city.You have disappointed His Holiness by failing to build an Abbey in this city, and thus hampering the proper worship of the Lord in this city.
    papal_build_church city_cathedralBuild a CathedralIt has come to His Holiness's attention that this city is bereft of a proper place of worship. The Pope wishes you to build a Cathedral in this city.Your faithless faction has been excommunicated; the Pope cares naught what you build in this city. OR As you have lost this city, you are no longer charged with building a Cathedral there.You have pleased His Holiness by successfully building a Cathedral in this city, and thus propagating the proper worship of the Lord in this city.You have disappointed His Holiness by failing to build a Cathedral in this city, and thus hampering the proper worship of the Lord in this city.
    papal_build_church city_huge_cathedralBuild a Huge CathedralIt has come to His Holiness's attention that this city is bereft of a proper place of worship. The Pope wishes you to build a Huge Cathedral in this city.Your faithless faction has been excommunicated; the Pope cares naught what you build in this city. OR As you have lost this city, you are no longer charged with building a Huge Cathedral there.You have pleased His Holiness by successfully building a Huge Cathedral in this city, and thus propagating the proper worship of the Lord in this city.You have disappointed His Holiness by failing to build a Huge Cathedral in this city, and thus hampering the proper worship of the Lord in this city.
    papal_build_church castle_small_chapelBuild a Small ChapelIt has come to His Holiness's attention that this castle is bereft of a proper place of worship. The Pope wishes you to build a Small Chapel in this castle.Your faithless faction has been excommunicated; the Pope cares naught what you build in this castle. OR As you have lost this castle, you are no longer charged with building a Small Chapel there.You have pleased His Holiness by successfully building a Small Chapel in this castle, and thus propagating the proper worship of the Lord in this castle.You have disappointed His Holiness by failing to build a Small Chapel in this castle, and thus hampering the proper worship of the Lord in this castle.
    papal_build_church castle_chapelBuild a ChapelIt has come to His Holiness's attention that this castle is bereft of a proper place of worship. The Pope wishes you to build a Chapel in this castle.Your faithless faction has been excommunicated; the Pope cares naught what you build in this castle. OR As you have lost this castle, you are no longer charged with building a Chapel there.You have pleased His Holiness by successfully building a Chapel in this castle, and thus propagating the proper worship of the Lord in this castle.You have disappointed His Holiness by failing to build a Chapel in this castle, and thus hampering the proper worship of the Lord in this castle.
    convertSpread the Word of the LordThe Pope sees that the unbelievers in this settlement are clouding the judgement of the righteous. Send a priest to convert at least percentage of the population to Catholicism.Your ungodly faction has been excommunicated. One cannot expect a nest of vipers to bring forward the lambs. You are no longer charged with converting the people to the 'one true faith.You have pleased His Holiness by successfully spreading the word and bringing more lambs to His flock in this settlement.You have disappointed His Holiness by failing to convert sufficient people in this settlement.
    gift_from_popeA Gift from the PopeThe Pope has noticed your dedication to the Faith and the Holy Mother Church and is pleased to grant you this gift.xxx
    give_cashGive a "donation" to the PopeThe Lord favours he who is generous. Make a "donation" of at least percentage of income florins to the Papal States.xYou have pleased His Holiness with your generous "donation" to the Papal States. Blessed is he who gives.You have disappointed His Holiness with your selfishness, by failing to "donate" sufficient florins to the Papal States.
    give_ancillaryGive Relic to the PopeThe Pope has heard of your retrieval of this wondrous holy relic and sends his congratulations. You must hand over this relic to the Pope so that it may reside with his Holiness as is proper.xThe Pope sends you his gratitude for the rightful return of this holy relic to the Catholic Church.You have disappointed His Holiness by coveting this relic and thus failing to hand it over to His Holiness.
    recruit_priestRecruit a PriestThe dwindling number of Catholics in this settlement reflects poorly on the Catholic Church. Recruit a priest in this settlement to convert more people.Your worthless faction has been excommunicated, a priest from such a flock would be at best worthless. You are no longer charged with recruiting a priest. OR It appears there are enough of God's servants for the time being. The Guild no longer requires you to recruit a priest. OR You have lost this settlement, you are no longer charged with recruiting a priest.You have pleased His Holiness by successfully recruiting a priest, and thus creating yet another vessel for His word.You have disappointed His Holiness by failing to recruit a priest, and thus hampering His Holy work.
    assassinate_generalAssassination MissionThis miscreant's demise would please a great many people, not to mention make smoother our path to success. The Council suggests you send an assassin to hasten this man's journey into the next world. This man has become our ally; it is no longer necessary to remove him. OR Your target has died; you are no longer required to assassinate him. OR Your target has gone into hiding; you are no longer required to assassinate him.Congratulations, you have successfully assassinated this individual; the Council is impressed by your ruthlessness.You have failed to assassinate this individual; the Council assumes this must be part of your great plan.
    ;assassinate_captainAssassination MissionThis miscreant's demise would please a great many people, not to mention make smoother our path to success. The Council suggests you send an assassin to hasten this man's journey into the next world. This man has become our ally; it is no longer necessary to remove him. OR Your target has died; you are no longer required to assassinate him. OR Your target has gone into hiding; you are no longer required to assassinate him.Congratulations, you have successfully assassinated this individual; the Council is impressed by your ruthlessness.You have failed to assassinate this individual; the Council assumes this must be part of your great plan.
    council_blockade_portBlockade PortIt is time we apply pressure upon our foes. Sending a fleet to blockade this port for at least 3 turns will not only hurt our enemy, but it will fill our coffers.This faction has become an ally; you are no longer required to blockade this port. OR It appears this port is already blockaded; you are no longer required to blockade it. OR This port has been taken; you are no longer expected to blockade it.Congratulations, you have successfully blockaded this port; the Council applauds your decisiveness.You have not blockaded this port, the Council bows to your infinitely wiser decision.
    blockade_moderateBlockade PortIt is time we apply pressure upon our foes. Sending a fleet to blockade this port for at least 2 turns will not only hurt our enemy, but it will fill our coffers.This faction has become an ally; you are no longer required to blockade this port. OR It appears this port is already blockaded; you are no longer required to blockade it. OR This port has been taken; you are no longer expected to blockade it.Congratulations, you have successfully blockaded this port; the Council applauds your decisiveness.You have not blockaded this port, the Council bows to your infinitely wiser decision.
    blockade_distantBlockade PortIt is time we apply pressure upon our foes. Sending a fleet to blockade this port for at least 1 turns will not only hurt our enemy, but it will fill our coffers.This faction has become an ally; you are no longer required to blockade this port. OR It appears this port is already blockaded; you are no longer required to blockade it. OR This port has been taken; you are no longer expected to blockade it.Congratulations, you have successfully blockaded this port; the Council applauds your decisiveness.You have not blockaded this port, the Council bows to your infinitely wiser decision.
    council_take_rebel_settlementTake Rebel SettlementOur great nation appears weak to tolerate such insolence from these rebels. The Council recommends you capture this rebel settlement and assert your authority.Another has taken this Rebel settlement. You are no longer required to take it.Congratulations, you have successfully taken this Rebel settlement and displayed our strength to all.It appears you have decided against this Council's advice by not taking this Rebel settlement, the Council can only assume this is yet another sudden turn in your labyrinth-like plan.
    council_take_settlementTake SettlementIt is time to further our great empire by extending our borders. The Council suggests you take this settlement for the glory of the nation.This faction has become an ally; you are no longer required to take it. OR Another has taken this settlement.Congratulations, you have successfully taken this settlement, and extended our Empire.You have failed to take this settlement; perhaps you felt it was not the right time to expand our borders?
    gift_from_councilA Gift from the CouncilThe Council are greatly impressed by your leadership and would like you to accept this humble offering as a token of past and future endeavours.xxx
    council_marry_princessA Proposal for the Princess's HandLord generals name has been beguiled by the lovely Princess princesses name. He is willing to pay a handsome dowry for her hand in marriage. The Council recommends you arrange this marriage as soon as possible.Alas this marriage can never be, the general has died, and nearly left our Princess a widow. OR Alas, the poor Princess has died; we must call the marriage off. OR Our Princess is now too old to marry; her time would be better spent on more solitary and contemplative pursuits. The marriage is off. OR Love can be a fickle thing, and this lord is twice such, he has married another. The marriage to our Princess is off.Congratulations, you have successfully arranged the marriage we recommended. This union is sure to bear fruit in time.You have not arranged the marriage this Council recommended. The Council bows to your greater judgement in these matters. OR Love can be a fickle thing, it seems our Princess has married another, the original marriage is off.
    ;steal_generalA Proposal for the Princess's HandLord character name has been beguiled by the lovely Princess princesses name. He is willing to pay a handsome dowry for her hand in marriage. The Council recommends you arrange this marriage as soon as possible.Alas this marriage can never be, the general has died, and nearly left our Princess a widow. OR Alas, the poor Princess has died; we must call the marriage off. OR Our Princess is now too old to marry; her time would be better spent on more solitary and contemplative pursuits. The marriage is off. OR Love can be a fickle thing, and this lord is twice such, he has married another. The marriage to our Princess is off.Congratulations, you have successfully arranged the marriage we recommended. This union is sure to bear fruit in time.You have not arranged the marriage this Council recommended. The Council bows to your greater judgement in these matters. OR Love can be a fickle thing, it seems our Princess has married another, the original marriage is off.
    annex_settlementAnnex SettlementBy rights, this settlement should be under our authority. It is a mockery for it to be held by our rivals. The Council suggests you send a diplomat and attempt to have them to hand it over. You may be able to offer them a settlement that is less valuable to us in exchange.The faction you were to treaty with has been vanquished. There is no longer a need for you to send a diplomat to them. OR Another faction has taken this settlement. There is no longer a need for you to send a diplomat to this faction.Congratulations, you have successfully convinced this faction to hand over land that is rightfully ours; the Council is much impressed by your obvious authority.You have failed to convince our rivals to hand over this settlement; the Council is greatly disappointed at this turn of events.
    send_emissarySend EmissaryThere are foreigners almost at our very gates and we know very little of them. The Council suggests you send an emissary to this faction and initiate diplomatic relations.The faction you were to meet with has been vanquished. There is no longer a need for you to send a diplomat to them.Congratulations, you have successfully established diplomatic relations with these people; the Council admires the ease with which you handle diplomacy.You have failed to establish diplomatic relations with these people, the Council hopes this is for the best.
    reinforce_regionReinforce RegionThis region is the frontier to our enemies, but is undermanned and vulnerable to attack. The Council suggests you increase our forces here by at least 4 units.It is too late, the settlement is lost! It can no longer be reinforced by our forces.Well done, you have successfully reinforced this region against attacks from our foes, the Council is comforted by your wisdom.You have failed to reinforce this region and left it vulnerable to attack, the Council hopes this is all part of some master strategy.
    guild_take_settlementTake SettlementThe Guild's interests would be better looked after if this settlement were to become part of your empire. The Guild requests that you take this settlement.An alliance has been forged with this settlement, the Guild no longer requires you to take it. OR Another has taken this settlement, the Guild no longer requires you to take it.Congratulations, you have successfully taken this settlement; the Guild owes you its thanks.You have failed to take this settlement; the Guild is disappointed with this lack of progress.
    guild_recruit_agentTrain AssassinSometimes a single drop of poison or one knife in the dark can achieve what an entire army cannot. The Guild requests that you train an assassin in this settlement.As you have lost this settlement, the Guild no longer expects you to train an assassin there.Congratulations, you have successfully trained an assassin, the Guild is very pleased.You have failed to train an assassin; the Guild is disappointed with this result.
    guild_recruit_spyTrain SpySometimes a little bit of information is worth a dozen armies. The Guild requests that you train a Spy in this settlement.As you have lost this settlement, the Guild no longer expects you to train a Spy there.Congratulations, you have successfully trained a Spy, the Guild is very pleased.You have failed to train a Spy; the Guild is disappointed with this result.
    guild_recruit_merchantTrain MerchantThree things are required to make war and conquest; gold, gold and more gold. The Guild requests that you train a Merchant in this settlement.It appears there are sufficient merchants for the time being. The Guild no longer requires you to recruit a merchant. OR As you have lost this settlement, the Guild no longer expects you to train a Merchant there.Congratulations, you have successfully trained a Merchant, the Guild is very pleased.You have failed to train a Merchant; the Guild is disappointed with this result.
    guild_recruit_priestTrain PriestThe Holy word requires another soldier of faith. The Guild requests that you train a Priest in this settlement.It appears there are enough of God's soldiers for the time being. The Guild no longer requires you to recruit a priest. OR As you have lost this settlement, the Guild no longer expects you to train a Priest there.Congratulations, you have successfully trained a Priest, the Guild is very pleased.You have failed to train a Priest; the Guild is disappointed with this result.
    guild_acquisitionMercantile AcquisitionThere is lucrative trade to be had here, but first we must deal with the opposition. The Guild recommends you send your merchant to make an acquisition of this merchants' trade.It appears this merchant has perished; we no longer need to remove him. OR It appears this merchant has gone into hiding; we no longer need to remove himCongratulations, you have successfully made the acquisition; the Guild owes you its thanks.You have failed to complete the desired acquisition; the Guild is disappointed with this outcome.
    guild_trade_agreementObtain Trade AgreementWe are losing lucrative trade opportunities, as we currently have no trade Agreement with this faction. The Guild would like you to obtain a trade agreement with these people.This faction has been vanquished; a trade agreement with them is no longer possible. OR These fools have chosen war with us rather than peaceful trade. So be it, a trade agreement with them is no longer possible.Congratulations, you have successfully obtained a Trade Agreement with this faction; the Guild owes you its thanks.You have not obtained a trade agreement with this faction; the Guild is disappointed with this outcome.
    guild_buildA Gift from the Mason's GuildIn recognition of your past aid and support to the Mason's Guild, the masons will build a place of worship in your honour, so that the faithful may gather.xxx
    regicideRegicideMy father is naught but a simpering fool. If left to rule he will bring only ruin to what should be my empire. Kill him so that I may lead my empire to greatness, and our empires will rule the world side by side as brothers. I am willing to generously 'recompense' you for your troubles.My 'noble' father has perished; you are no longer required to 'intervene'. OR My father has gone to ground like the mole he is, you are no longer required to 'intervene'.You have my endless gratitude; you have done both my people and myself a great favour. Your deed may go unsung but it will not go unrewarded, nor forgotten.You have failed to deal with my wretched father as I requested, I will not forget this.
    crusade_activeA Holy CrusadeThe Pope has called for a holy Crusade to this settlement. It is time for righteous steel and arms strengthened by faith to free this part of God's land from his enemies. OR It is a nightmarish day for your people that inhabit this settlement, for the Pope has called a holy Crusade against it! The seemingly endless armies of Christendom will soon be marching to lay siege to the walls... Make peace with the Pope, or make ready to defend it!xxx
    jihad_activeA JihadA Jihad is moving on this settlement to clean away the infidels. It is time to dispense rightful anger upon these snakes in men's clothing. OR A great Imam has called for the warriors of Islam to take up holy Jihad against your people and descend upon this settlement! The willingness of the Muslim soldiers' to die for such a cause make this one of the most terrifying perils the people of this place will ever face... Ensure they are prepared.xxx

Mission Titles
    SourceIssuedExpiredSuccessFailed
    The PopeA Mission from His Holiness the PopePapal Mission ExpiredPapal Mission SuccessPapal Mission Failed
    Council of NoblesA Petition from the Council of NoblesCouncil of Nobles Mission ExpiredCouncil of Nobles Mission SuccessCouncil of Nobles Mission Failed
    Explorers' GuildA Request from the Explorers' GuildExplorers' Guild Mission ExpiredExplorers' Guild Mission SuccessExplorers' Guild Mission Failed
    Assassins' GuildA Request from the Assassins' GuildAssassins' Guild Mission ExpiredAssassins' Guild Mission SuccessAssassins' Guild Mission Failed
    Merchants' GuildA Request from the Merchants' GuildMerchants' Guild Mission ExpiredMerchants' Guild Mission SuccessMerchants' Guild Mission Failed
    Merchants' GuildA Request from the Merchants' GuildMerchants' Guild Mission ExpiredMerchants' Guild Mission SuccessMerchants' Guild Mission Failed
    Masons' GuildA Request from the Masons' GuildMasons' Guild Mission ExpiredMasons' Guild Mission SuccessMasons' Guild Mission Failed
    (Faction)A Task for Your FactionFaction Mission ExpiredFaction Mission SuccessFaction Mission Failed

Mission Triggers
    MissionHardcoded Triggers
    join crusadeA crusade is active
    return_papal_settlementYou own the settlement
    cease_hostilitiesYou attacked a fellow Catholic
    assassinate_cardinalx
    assassinate_witchx
    papal_blockade_portHeretic port unblockaded
    break_allianceYou are allied with the Popes enemies
    papal_build_churchx
    convertx
    gift_from_popex
    give_cashx
    give_ancillaryx
    recruit_priestx
    assassinate_generalx
    council_blockade_portEnemy port unblockaded
    council_take_rebel_settlementBorder a rebel province and have a unit within a distance of 20 from it
    council_take_settlementBorder an enemy province and have a unit within a distance of 20 from it
    gift_from_councilx
    council_marry_princessUnmarried princess
    annex_settlementx
    send_emissaryUncontacted faction exists
    reinforce_regionx
    guild_take_settlementHave the guild
    guild_recruit_agentHave the guild
    guild_acquisitionHave the guild and enemy merchant exists
    guild_trade_agreementHave the guild and faction without trade rights exists

Null Payback Descriptions
    Null PaybackPre DescriptionPost Description
    FACTION_STANDING_PENALTYYou will disappoint this faction.This faction thinks less of you.
    FACTION_STANDING_REWARDYou will improve your relations with this faction.You have genuinely improved your relations faction.
    HUGE_PAPAL_STANDING_REWARDYour reputation with the Pope will improve enormously.Your reputation with the Pope has improved enormously.
    LARGE_PAPAL_STANDING_PENALTYYour reputation with the Pope will suffer enormously. Your reputation with the Pope has suffered enormously.
    LARGE_PAPAL_STANDING_REWARDYour reputation with the Pope will improve significantly.Your reputation with the Pope has improved significantly.
    MAJOR_EXPLORERS_GUILD_POINTS_PENALTYThe Explorers' Guild will be very disappointed in you.The Explorers' Guild is very disappointed in you.
    MAJOR_EXPLORERS_GUILD_POINTS_REWARDThe Explorers' Guild will be very happy with youThe Explorers' Guild is very happy with you.
    MED_PAPAL_STANDING_PENALTYYour reputation with the Pope will suffer significantly.Your reputation with the Pope has suffered significantly.
    MED_PAPAL_STANDING_REWARDYour reputation with the Pope will improve.Your reputation with the Pope has improved.
    MIN_ASSASSINS_GUILD_POINTS_PENALTYThe Assassins' Guild will be not impressed with your efforts.x
    MIN_ASSASSINS_GUILD_POINTS_REWARDThe Assassins' Guild is far from impressed with your efforts.The Assassins' Guild appreciates your efforts.
    MIN_MERCHANTS_GUILD_POINTS_PENALTYThe Merchants' Guild will be disappointed with you.The Merchants' Guild is now disappointed with you.
    MIN_MERCHANTS_GUILD_POINTS_REWARDThe Merchants' Guild will be appreciative of your efforts.The Merchants' Guild is appreciative of your efforts.
    MIN_THEOLOGIANS_GUILD_POINTS_PENALTYThe Theologians' Guild will be disappointed with you.The Theologians' Guild is now disappointed with you.
    MIN_THEOLOGIANS_GUILD_POINTS_REWARDThe Theologians' Guild will be appreciative of your efforts.The Theologians' Guild is appreciative of your efforts.
    MIN_THIEFS_GUILD_POINTS_PENALTYThe Thieves' Guild will be disappointed with you.The Thieves' Guild is now disappointed with you.
    MIN_THIEFS_GUILD_POINTS_REWARDThe Thieves' Guild will be appreciative of your efforts.The Thieves' Guild is appreciative of your efforts.
    MOD_MERCHANTS_GUILD_POINTS_PENALTYThe Merchants' Guild will be impressed with you.The Merchants' Guild is impressed with you.
    MOD_MERCHANTS_GUILD_POINTS_REWARDThe Merchants' Guild will be thankful to you.The Merchants' Guild is thankful to you.
    PLACE_OF_WORSHIP_REWARDThe Masons' Guild have offered to construct place of worship for you.The Masons' Guild has built you a place of worship.
    SMALL_PAPAL_STANDING_PENALTYYour reputation with the Pope will not be as high as it once was.Your reputation with the Pope is not as high as it once was.
    SMALL_PAPAL_STANDING_REWARDYour reputation with the Pope will improve slightly.Your reputation with the Pope has improved slightly.
    VNV_ADORED_BY_POPEYour leader will become one of the Pope's closest allies.The Pope considers your leader one of his closest allies.
    VNV_POPES_ENFORCERYour leader will become the steel gauntlet of the Pope's will.Your leader is the steel gauntlet of the Pope's will.

Missions
    MissionMission SourceImage Path IssuedImage Path ExpiredImage Path SuccessImage Path FailedDurationExclude DurationScore ModifierDifficulty ThresholdMax ScoreTurn Start
    join crusadePOPE MISSIONpope mission issuedpope mission expiredpope mission successpope mission failed10default1defaultdefaultdefault
    return papal settlementPOPE MISSIONpope mission issueddefaultpope approvalpope mission failed0default1defaultdefaultdefault
    cease hostilitiesPOPE MISSIONpope mission issuedpope mission expiredpope approvalpope mission failed0default0.8defaultdefault3
    assassinate cardinalPOPE MISSIONpope missionpope disapprovalpope approvalpope disapproval10251.20.4default3
    assassinate witch hereticPOPE MISSIONpope missionpope disapprovalpope approvalpope disapproval10251.20.4default3
    papal blockade portPOPE MISSIONpope missionpope disapprovalpope approvalpope disapproval10401default1003
    papal blockade port blockade hereticPOPE MISSIONpope missionpope disapprovalpope approvalpope disapproval10401default1003
    blockade port blockade paganPOPE MISSIONpope missionpope disapprovalpope approvalpope disapproval10401default1003
    papal blockade port blockade islamPOPE MISSIONpope missionpope disapprovalpope approvalpope disapproval10401default1003
    break alliancePOPE MISSIONpope missionpope disapprovalpope approvalpope disapproval10301defaultdefaultdefault
    papal build church city small churchPOPE MISSIONpope missionpope disapprovalpope approvalpope disapproval5251defaultdefault3
    papal build churchPOPE MISSIONpope missionpope disapprovalpope approvalpope disapproval5251defaultdefault3
    papal build church city abbeyPOPE MISSIONpope missionpope disapprovalpope approvalpope disapproval5251defaultdefault3
    papal build church city cathedralPOPE MISSIONpope missionpope disapprovalpope approvalpope disapproval10301defaultdefault3
    papal build church city huge cathedralPOPE MISSIONpope missionpope disapprovalpope approvalpope disapproval10301defaultdefault3
    papal build church castle small chapelPOPE MISSIONpope missionpope disapprovalpope approvalpope disapproval5251defaultdefault3
    papal build church castle chapelPOPE MISSIONpope missionpope disapprovalpope approvalpope disapproval5251defaultdefault3
    convertPOPE MISSIONpope missionpope disapprovalpope approvalpope disapproval15301defaultdefault3
    gift from popePOPE MISSIONpope approvaldefaultdefaultdefaultdefault300.5defaultdefault3
    give cashPOPE MISSIONpope approvaldefaultdefaultdefaultdefault301defaultdefault3
    give ancillaryPOPE MISSIONpope missiondefaultpope approvalpope disapprovaldefault301defaultdefault3
    recruit priestPOPE MISSIONpope missionpope disapprovalpope approvalpope disapproval5251defaultdefault3
    assassinate generalCOUNCIL MISSIONdefaultdefaultdefaultdefault10251.20.4default3
    ;assassinate captainCOUNCIL MISSIONdefaultdefaultdefaultdefault10200.80.7defaultdefault
    council blockade portCOUNCIL MISSIONdefaultdefaultdefaultdefault10400.8default10020
    blockade moderateCOUNCIL MISSIONdefaultdefaultdefaultdefault10400.8default10020
    blockade distantCOUNCIL MISSIONdefaultdefaultdefaultdefault10400.8default10020
    council take rebel settlementCOUNCIL MISSIONdefaultdefaultdefaultdefault15201.5default300default
    council take settlementCOUNCIL MISSIONdefaultdefaultdefaultdefault15201.5default20020
    gift from councilCOUNCIL MISSIONdefaultdefaultdefaultdefaultdefault200.5default1003
    council marry princessCOUNCIL MISSIONdefaultdefaultdefaultdefault10201defaultdefault30
    ;steal generalCOUNCIL MISSIONdefaultdefaultdefaultdefault10100.8defaultdefault30
    annex settlementCOUNCIL MISSIONdefaultdefaultdefaultdefault10300.8defaultdefault3
    send emissaryCOUNCIL MISSIONdefaultdefaultdefaultdefault5201defaultdefault3
    reinforce regionCOUNCIL MISSIONdefaultdefaultdefaultdefault5200.8default1003
    guild take settlementEXPLORERS GUILD MISSIONdefaultdefaultdefaultdefault10301default1003
    guild recruit agentASSASSINS GUILD MISSIONdefaultdefaultdefaultdefault5200.8defaultdefault3
    guild recruit spyTHIEFS GUILD MISSIONdefaultdefaultdefaultdefault5200.8defaultdefault3
    guild recruit merchantMERCHANTS GUILD MISSIONdefaultdefaultdefaultdefault5201defaultdefault3
    guild recruit priestTHEOLOGIANS GUILD MISSIONdefaultdefaultdefaultdefault5200.8defaultdefault3
    guild acquisitionMERCHANTS GUILD MISSIONdefaultdefaultdefaultdefault10251default1003
    guild trade agreementMERCHANTS GUILD MISSIONdefaultdefaultdefaultdefault10201defaultdefault3
    guild buildMASONS GUILD MISSIONdefaultdefaultdefaultdefaultdefault30defaultdefault1003
    regicideFACTION MISSIONdefaultdefaultdefaultdefault103030.3default3
    crusade activedefaultdefaultdefaultdefaultdefaultdefault0defaultdefaultdefaultdefault
    jihad activedefaultdefaultdefaultdefaultdefaultdefault0defaultdefaultdefaultdefault

Mission Paybacks
    MissionPayback 1Payback 2Payback 3Payback 4Payback 5Payback 6
    join crusadepapal standing -0.4 pope major penalty onlypapal standing -0.1 pope mod penalty onlypapal standing 0.4 pope min penalty onlypope min penalty min rewardxx
    return papal settlementpapal standing -0.7 pope rome major penalty onlypapal standing -0.4 pope rome mod penalty onlypapal standing -0.1 pope rome min penalty onlypapal standing 0.1 pope rome min penalty min rewardpapal standing 0.4 pope rome min penalty mod rewardpope rome min penalty major reward
    cease hostilitiespapal standing 0.2 pope excomm onlypapal standing 0.6 pope mod penalty onlypope min penalty onlyxxx
    assassinate cardinalpapal standing -0.7 pope cardinal mod penalty only papal standing -0.4 difficulty 0.6 pope cardinal mod penalty min reward; papal standing 0.0 pope cardinal mod penalty onlypapal standing 0.1 difficulty 0.6 pope cardinal min penalty min reward; papal standing 0.1 pope cardinal min penalty onlypapal standing 0.4 difficulty 0.6 pope cardinal min penalty mod reward; papal standing 0.4 pope cardinal min penalty min rewardpapal standing 0.7 difficulty 0.6 pope cardinal mod reward only; papal standing 0.8 pope cardinal min penalty mod rewarddifficulty 0.6 pope cardinal major reward only; pope cardinal min penalty major reward
    assassinate witch hereticpapal standing -0.4 pope inquisition onlypapal standing -0.1 difficulty 0.6 pope min penalty min rewardpapal standing -0.1 pope min penalty onlypapal standing 0.4 difficulty 0.6 pope min penalty mod rewardpapal standing 0.4 pope min penalty min rewardpope mod reward only
    papal blockade portpapal standing -0.7 pope mod penalty onlypapal standing -0.4 pope mod penalty min rewardpapal standing 0.1 pope min penalty min rewardpapal standing 0.4 pope min penalty mod rewardpope mod reward onlyx
    papal blockade port blockade hereticpapal standing -0.7 pope mod penalty onlypapal standing -0.4 pope mod penalty min rewardpapal standing 0.1 pope min penalty min rewardpapal standing 0.4 pope min penalty mod rewardpope mod reward onlyx
    blockade port blockade pagan"papal standing -0.7 pope mod penalty only"papal standing -0.4 pope mod penalty min rewardpapal standing 0.1 pope min penalty min rewardpapal standing 0.4 pope min penalty mod rewardpope mod reward onlyx
    papal blockade port blockade islampapal standing -0.7 pope mod penalty onlypapal standing -0.4 pope mod penalty min rewardpapal standing 0.1 pope min penalty min rewardpapal standing 0.4 pope min penalty mod rewardpope mod reward onlyx
    break alliancepapal standing -0.1 pope mod penalty onlypope min penalty onlyxxxx
    papal build church city small churchpapal standing -0.1 pope mod penalty onlypope min penalty onlyxxxx
    papal build churchpapal standing -0.1 pope mod penalty onlypope min penalty onlyxxxx
    papal build church city abbeypapal standing -0.1 pope min penalty min rewardpope min penalty mod rewardxxxx
    papal build church city cathedralpapal standing -0.1 pope min penalty min rewardpope mod reward onlyxxxx
    papal build church city huge cathedralpapal standing -0.1 pope min penalty mod rewardpope major reward onlyxxxx
    papal build church castle small chapelpapal standing -0.1 pope mod penalty onlypope min penalty onlyxxxx
    papal build church castle chapelpapal standing -0.1 pope mod penalty onlypope min penalty onlyxxxx
    convertpapal standing -0.4 pope mod penalty min rewardpapal standing 0.1 pope min penalty min rewardpapal standing 0.4 pope min reward onlypope mod reward onlyxx
    gift from popepapal standing 0.4 pope min reward gift onlypapal standing 0.7 pope mod reward gift onlypope major reward gift onlyxxx
    give cashpapal standing -0.4 pope mod penalty onlypope min penalty onlyxxxx
    give ancillarypapal standing -0.7 pope min penalty onlypapal standing -0.1 pope min penalty min rewardpope min penalty mod rewardxx
    recruit priestpope min penalty min rewardxxxxx
    assassinate generalrandom 0.33 council mod incomerandom 0.5 council mod unitcouncil mod unit bestxxx
    council blockade portrandom 0.33 council mod incomerandom 0.5 council mod unitcouncil mod unit bestxxx
    blockade moderaterandom 0.33 council mod incomerandom 0.5 council mod unitcouncil mod unit bestxxx
    blockade distantrandom 0.33 council mod incomerandom 0.5 council mod unitcouncil mod unit bestxxx
    council take rebel settlementrandom 0.5 council major incomecouncil major unitxxxx
    council take settlementrandom 0.5 council major incomecouncil major unitxxxx
    gift from councilcash 0 council major moneycash 10000 council min moneycash 20000 council mod moneycouncil major moneyxx
    council marry princessrandom 0.33 council mod incomerandom 0.5 council mod unitcouncil mod unit bestxxx
    annex settlementrandom 0.33 council mod incomerandom 0.5 council mod unitcouncil mod unit bestxxx
    send emissaryrandom 0.5 council min incomecouncil min unitxxxx
    reinforce regionrandom 0.5 council min incomecouncil min unitxxxx
    guild take settlementguild explorers majorxxxxx
    guild recruit agentguild assassin paybackxxxxx
    guild recruit spyguild thiefs minxxxxx
    guild recruit merchantguild merchants minxxxxx
    guild recruit priestguild theologians minxxxxx
    guild acquisitionguild merchants modxxxxx
    guild trade agreementguild merchants minxxxxx
    guild buildguild build churchxxxxx
    regicidefaction regicide paybackxxxxx
    crusade activeempty paybackxxxxx
    jihad activeempty paybackxxxxx

Payback List
    PaybackRewardPenalty
    pope inquisition onlyNoneinquisition chance 1.0
    pope excomm onlyNoneexcommunication chance 1.0
    pope major penalty onlyNone"null payback LARGE PAPAL STANDING PENALTY
    excommunication chance 0.05
    inquisition chance 0.05"
    pope mod penalty onlyNoneMED PAPAL STANDING PENALTY
    pope min penalty onlyNoneSMALL PAPAL STANDING PENALTY
    pope min reward only"SMALL PAPAL STANDING REWARD
    money 500"
    None
    pope mod reward only"MED PAPAL STANDING REWARD
    money 1000"
    None
    pope major reward only"LARGE PAPAL STANDING REWARD
    money 2000"
    None
    pope min penalty min reward"SMALL PAPAL STANDING REWARD
    money 500"
    SMALL PAPAL STANDING PENALTY
    pope min penalty mod reward"MED PAPAL STANDING REWARD
    money 1000"
    pope mod penalty min reward"SMALL PAPAL STANDING REWARD
    money 500"
    MED PAPAL STANDING PENALTY
    pope rome major penalty only"HUGE PAPAL STANDING REWARD
    VNV ADORED BY POPE"
    "LARGE PAPAL STANDING PENALTY
    excommunication chance 0.05
    inquisition chance 0.05"
    pope rome mod penalty only"HUGE PAPAL STANDING REWARD
    VNV ADORED BY POPE"
    pope rome min penalty only"HUGE PAPAL STANDING REWARD
    VNV ADORED BY POPE"
    pope rome min penalty min reward"HUGE PAPAL STANDING REWARD
    money 500VNV ADORED BY POPE"
    pope rome min penalty mod reward"HUGE PAPAL STANDING REWARD
    money 1000
    VNV ADORED BY POPE"
    pope rome min penalty major reward"HUGE PAPAL STANDING REWARD
    money 2000
    VNV ADORED BY POPE"
    pope cardinal mod penalty onlyVNV POPES ENFORCERMED PAPAL STANDING PENALTY
    pope cardinal mod penalty min reward"SMALL PAPAL STANDING REWARD
    money 500
    VNV POPES ENFORCER"
    pope cardinal min penalty min reward"SMALL PAPAL STANDING REWARD
    money 500
    VNV POPES ENFORCER"
    pope cardinal min penalty onlyVNV POPES ENFORCERSMALL PAPAL STANDING PENALTY
    pope cardinal min penalty mod reward"MED PAPAL STANDING REWARD
    money 1000
    VNV POPES ENFORCER"
    pope cardinal mod reward only"MED PAPAL STANDING REWARD
    money 1000
    VNV POPES ENFORCER"
    None
    pope cardinal major reward only"LARGE PAPAL STANDING REWARD
    money 2000
    VNV POPES ENFORCER"
    None
    pope cardinal min penalty major reward"LARGE PAPAL STANDING REWARD
    money 2000
    VNV POPES ENFORCER"
    pope min reward gift onlymoney 500None
    pope mod reward gift onlymoney 1000None
    pope major reward gift onlymoney 2000None
    council min incomemoney 500None
    council mod incomemoney 1000None
    council major incomemoney 2500None
    council min unitbuildable unit 800 2None
    council mod unitbuildable unit 800 3None
    council mod unit bestbest buildable unit 1200 3None
    council major unitbest buildable unit 1200 4None
    council min moneymoney 1000None
    council mod moneymoney 2000None
    council major moneymoney 3000None
    guild build churchPLACE OF WORSHIP REWARDNone
    guild merchants mod"MOD MERCHANTS GUILD POINTS REWARD
    guild money 200 merchants guild"
    MOD MERCHANTS GUILD POINTS PENALTY
    guild merchants min"MIN MERCHANTS GUILD POINTS REWARD
    guild money 100 merchants guild"
    MIN MERCHANTS GUILD POINTS PENALTY
    guild thiefs min"MIN THIEFS GUILD POINTS REWARD
    guild money 100 thiefs guild"
    MIN THIEFS GUILD POINTS PENALTY
    guild theologians min"MIN THEOLOGIANS GUILD POINTS REWARD
    guild money 100 theologians guild"
    MIN THEOLOGIANS GUILD POINTS PENALTY
    guild explorers major"MAJOR EXPLORERS GUILD POINTS REWARD
    guild money 300 explorers guild"
    MAJOR EXPLORERS GUILD POINTS PENALTY
    guild assassin payback"MIN ASSASSINS GUILD POINTS REWARD
    guild money 10 assassins guild"
    "assassination chance 0.05
    MIN ASSASSINS GUILD POINTS PENALTY"
    faction regicide payback"FACTION STANDING REWARD
    money 5000"
    FACTION STANDING PENALTY

Null Paybacks
    Null PaybackDefinition
    ;CHANCE_ANC_RELICFaction character has a chance of developing a relic ancillary (commented out)
    ;CHANCE_VNV_ADORED_BY_POPEFaction character has a chance of developing the Adored By Pope trait (commented out)
    FACTION_STANDING_PENALTYUndefined
    FACTION_STANDING_REWARDUndefined
    HUGE_PAPAL_STANDING_REWARDGain 0.4 standing with the Pope
    LARGE_PAPAL_STANDING_PENALTYLose 0.2 standing with the Pope
    LARGE_PAPAL_STANDING_REWARDGain 0.4 standing with the Pope
    MAJOR_EXPLORERS_GUILD_POINTS_PENALTYLose 30 points in all cities with Explorers Guild
    MAJOR_EXPLORERS_GUILD_POINTS_REWARDGain 30 points in all cities with Explorers Guild
    MED_PAPAL_STANDING_PENALTYLose 0.1 standing with the Pope
    MED_PAPAL_STANDING_REWARDGain 0.2 standing with the Pope
    MIN_ASSASSINS_GUILD_POINTS_PENALTYLose 10 points in all cities with Assassins Guild
    MIN_ASSASSINS_GUILD_POINTS_REWARDGain 10 points in all cities with Assassins Guild
    MIN_MERCHANTS_GUILD_POINTS_PENALTYLose 10 points in all cities with Merchants Guild
    MIN_MERCHANTS_GUILD_POINTS_REWARDGain 10 points in all cities with Merchants Guild
    MIN_THEOLOGIANS_GUILD_POINTS_PENALTYLose 10 points in all cities with Theologians Guild
    MIN_THEOLOGIANS_GUILD_POINTS_REWARDGain 10 points in all cities with Theologians Guild
    MIN_THIEFS_GUILD_POINTS_PENALTYLose 10 points in all cities with Thieves Guild
    MIN_THIEFS_GUILD_POINTS_REWARDGain 10 points in all cities with Thieves Guild
    MOD_MERCHANTS_GUILD_POINTS_PENALTYLose 20 points in all cities with Merchants Guild
    MOD_MERCHANTS_GUILD_POINTS_REWARDGain 20 points in all cities with Merchants Guild
    PLACE_OF_WORSHIP_REWARDUndefined
    SMALL_PAPAL_STANDING_PENALTYLose 0.05 standing with the Pope
    SMALL_PAPAL_STANDING_REWARDGain 0.1 standing with the Pope
    VNV_ADORED_BY_POPEGives faction leader 20% chance of getting Adored By Pope trait (100% for return_papal_settlement)
    VNV_POPES_ENFORCERGives faction leader Popes Enforcer trait

Expire Triggers
    MissionTrigger 1Trigger 2Trigger 3Trigger 4
    join crusadeFaction becomes excommunicatedCrusade endsCharacter ordered to go diesx
    return home cityxxxx
    cease_hostilitiesFaction becomes excommunicatedTarget faction eliminatedTarget faction becomes excommunicatedx
    assassinate_cardinalFaction becomes excommunicatedTarget diesTarget cannot be foundx
    assassinate_witchFaction becomes excommunicatedTarget diesTarget cannot be foundx
    papal_blockade_portFaction becomes excommunicatedOther faction blockades portTarget faction reconcilesPort is taken
    break_allianceFaction becomes excommunicatedTarget faction eliminatedTarget faction reconcilesx
    papal_build_churchFaction becomes excommunicatedSettlement lostxx
    convertFaction becomes excommunicatedxxx
    gift_from_popexxxx
    give_cashxxxx
    give_ancillaryxxxx
    recruit_priestFaction becomes excommunicatedSettlement lostAgent Limit Reachedx
    assassinate_generalTarget becomes allyTarget diesTarget cannot be foundx
    council_blockade_portTarget becomes allyOther faction blockades portPort is takenx
    council_take_rebel_settlementTarget becomes allyxxx
    council_take_settlementTarget becomes allyOther faction takes settlementxx
    gift_from_councilxxxx
    council_marry_princessTarget diesPrincess diesPrincess too oldTarget marries another
    annex_settlementTarget faction eliminatedOther faction takes settlementxx
    send_emissaryTarget faction eliminatedxxx
    reinforce_regionSettlement lostxxx
    guild_take_settlementTarget becomes allyOther faction takes settlementxx
    guild_recruit_agentSettlement lostAgent Limit Reachedxx
    guild_acquisitionTarget diesTarget cannot be foundxx
    guild_trade_agreementTarget faction eliminatedTarget faction declares war on factionxx
    Last edited by DarkKnight; January 30, 2007 at 09:55 PM.

Supported Missions
    Papal MissionsCouncil MissionsGuild Missions
    join crusadeassassinate_generalguild_take_settlement
    return home citycouncil_blockade_portguild_recruit_agent
    cease_hostilitiescouncil_take_rebel_settlementguild_acquisition
    assassinate_cardinalcouncil_take_settlementguild_trade_agreement
    assassinate_witchgift_from_councilx
    papal_blockade_portcouncil_marry_princessx
    break_allianceannex_settlementx
    papal_build_churchxx
    convertxx
    gift_from_popexx
    give_cashxx
    give_ancillaryxx
    recruit_priestxx

Mission Parameters
    ParameterDefinitionDefault
    [Mission_Source]Identifies the text to display for the source of the missionnone
    image_path_issuedIdentifies the text to display when the mission is givenmission_issued
    image_path_expiredIdentifies the text to display if the mission expiresmission_expired
    image_path_successIdentifies the text to display if the mission is completed successfullymission_success
    image_path_failedIdentifies the text to display if the mission is failedmission_failed
    durationThe number of turns the target faction has to complete the missionunlimitted
    exclude_durationThe number of turns the missions score is lowered after it has been given0
    score_modifierMultiplies the score after it has been calculated1
    difficulty_thresholdIf chance of success is less than difficulty threshold, it will not be given on easy difficulty or the first 50 turns of other difficulties0
    max_scorePrevents a missions score from going above this valueunlimitted
    turn_startThe first turn that this mission may be given2
    paybacksRewards and penalties for completing or failing to complete the missionnone

Specific Parameters
    MissionParameter 1Parameter 2Parameter 3Parameter 4Parameter 5Parameter 6Parameter 7Parameter 8
    join crusadeleader pfp boundaryheir pfp boundaryxxxxxx
    return home citysettlementai accept base chanceai accept fs modifierai accept gs modifierai min settlementsai sett modifierxx
    cease hostilitiesdifficulty lower pfp bound

difficulty upper pfp bound
    max duration modifier

pfp score threshold
    settlement score offset

army score offset
    own region army score offset

military access score offset
    navy score offset

default settlement score offset
    ai attacker modifier

ai human defender modifier
    ai papal defender modifier

num active missions modifier
    ;target mission offset
    assassinate cardinalpapal standing boundaryxxxxxxx
    papal blockade portnum turns successmin turns distancemax turns distanceexcommunicated modifierreligion modifiersxxx
    break alliancetarget pfp score thresholdxxxxxxx
    papal build churchmin treasury 1000buildingsxxxxxx
    convertreligion threshdiff pfp lower bounddiff pfp upper boundtarget religion base offsetmax target percent modifierown region score modifiermax search turnsx
    gift from popepfp threshxxxxxxx
    give cashmin treasurypfp lower boundarypfp upper boundarylower boundary incomeupper boundary incomexxx
    give ancillaryancillary typepfp upper boundaryxxxxxx
    recruit priestmin treasuryreligion threshsettlement priest ratioxxxxx
    assassinate generalenemy modifierown region modifierper unit modifier;character typexxxx
    council blockade portnum turns successmin turns distancemax turns distancexxxxx
    council take rebel settlementlower diff thresholdupper diff thresholdratio modifierno garrison modifierxxxx
    council take settlementlower diff thresholdupper diff thresholdratio modifierno garrison modifierxxxx
    council marry princessmax loyaltyxxxxxxx
    annex settlementmin strength balancexxxxxxx
    send emissarymax agreementsxxxxxxx
    reinforce regiongarrison strengthxxxxxxx
    guild take settlementlower diff thresholdupper diff thresholdratio modifierno garrison modifierguild handlesresource typexx
    guild recruit agentmin treasurysettlement agent ratioagent typeguild handlesxxxx
    guild acquisitiontarget modifiertrade modifierguild handlesxxxxx
    guild trade agreementmax agreementsguild handlesxxxxxx
    guild buildguild handlesbuildingsxxxxxx
    regicidemax loyaltyneutral modifierenemy modifierally modifierxxxx
    crusade activeeligible religionsxxxxxxx
    jihad activeeligible religionsxxxxxxx

Parameter Definitions
    ParameterDefinitionKnown Attributes
    ;character_typeIdentifies the type of characternamed_character, general
    ;target_mission_offsetAdds to the score if faction already has the mission with the target faction[float]
    agent_typeIdentifies the type of agent[agent id]
    ai_accept_base_chanceThe base chance of the AI accepting the mission[float]
    ai_accept_fs_modifierMultiplies the effect of faction standing for an AI faction accepting the mission[float]
    ai_accept_gs_modifierMultiplies the effect of global standing for an AI faction accepting the mission[float]
    ai_attacker_modifierMultiplies the score if the AI attacks a faction[float]
    ai_human_defender_modifierMultiplies the score if the AI attacks a human faction[float]
    ai_min_settlementsThe minimum number of settlements the AI must have to accept the mission[uint]
    ai_papal_defender_modifierMultiplies the score if the AI attacks the Pope[float]
    ai_sett_modifierIncreases the chance of the AI accepting the mission for every settlement it owns[float]
    ally_modifierAdds to the score if faction is an ally of the target faction[float]
    ancillary_typeIndentifies the type of ancillary[ancillary type]
    army_score_offsetAdds to the score if attacking an army[float]
    buildingsOnly analyzes settlements without this building[building id]
    default_settlement_score_offsetAdds percentage of the base score to the score if attacking a settlement that is part of original lands[float]
    diff_pfp_lower_boundLower bound for difficulty = 0.0[float]
    diff_pfp_upper_boundUpper bound for difficulty = 1.0[float]
    difficulty_lower_pfp_boundLower boundary for difficulty = 0.0[float]
    difficulty_upper_pfp_boundUpper boundary for difficulty = 1.0[float]
    eligible_religionsReligions allowed to be issued this mission[religion]
    enemy_modifierAdds to the score if faction is an enemy of the target faction[float]
    excommunicated_modifierMultiplies the score if target faction is excommunicated[float]
    garrison_strengthThe max stregnth of the settlements garrison for the mission to be issued[float]
    guild_handlesThe guilds required for the mission (just need one of the listed)[guild]
    heir_pfp_boundaryMaximum papal standing to have heir ordered on crusade[float]
    leader_pfp_boundaryMaximum papal standing to have leader ordered on crusade[float]
    lower_boundary_incomeThe minimum percentage of factions income required to give[float]
    lower_diff_thresholdThreshold on sent faction strength/ settlement strength for difficulty = 0.0[float]
    max_agreementsAdds 2.5 to the score for every value[uint]
    max_duration_modifierAdds to the duration according to the difficulty[float]
    max_loyaltyOnly analyzes generals with loyalty less than this value[uint]
    max_search_turnsOnly analyzes provinces within this value turns from a priest[uint]
    max_target_percent_modifierAdds to the percentage according to the difficulty[float]
    max_turns_distanceOnly analyzes ports within this value from a ship[uint]
    military_access_score_offsetAdds percentage of base score to score if defending army has military access[float]
    min_strength_balanceMinimum ratio of faction to sent faction army stregnth to receive mission[float]
    min_treasuryMinimum treasury level of faction to receive mission[int]
    min_turns_distanceOnly analyzes ports farther than this value from a ship[uint]
    navy_score_offsetAdds percentage of base score to score if defender is a navy[float]
    neutral_modifierAdds to the score if faction is nuetral with the target faction[float]
    no_garrison_modifierAdds to the score if there is no garrison in target settlement[float]
    num_active_missions_modifierDivides the score for every mission active[float]
    num_turns_successNumber of turns you must meet mission requirements for success[uint]
    own_region_army_score_offsetAdds percentage of base score to score if attacking in own territory[float]
    own_region_modifierAdds to score if target is in factions territory[float]
    own_region_score_modifierAdds to score if target is owned by faction[float]
    papal_standing_boundaryMaximum papal standing of targets faction[float]
    per_unit_modifierAdds to the score for every unit in targets army[float]
    pfp_lower_boundaryMinimum papal standing to receive this mission[float]
    pfp_score_thresholdAdjusts the score by how much attackers papal standing is below this value[float]
    pfp_threshMinimum papal standing to receive this mission[float]
    pfp_upper_boundaryMaximum papal standing to receive this mission[float]
    ratio_modifierAdds to the score according to the ratio[float]
    religion_modifiersMultiplies the score for a certain target religion[religion]
    religion_threshMaximum percent of population a certain religion for mission to be issued[float]
    resource_typeResource that region must have to be target[float]
    settlementId of the target settlement[float]
    settlement_agent_ratioMinimum ratio of settlements to agents required to receive this mission[float]
    settlement_priest_ratioMinimum ratio of settlements to priests to receive this mission[float]
    settlement_score_offsetAdds percentage of the base score to the score if attacking a settlement[float]
    target_modifierAdds to the score for every skill level of target agent[float]
    target_pfp_score_thresholdAdjusts score by how much lower the tagets papal standing is from this value[float]
    target_religion_base_offsetBase amount of population that must be converted[float]
    trade_modifierAdds to the score based on the value of the resource target agent is on[float]
    upper_boundary_incomeThe maximum percentage of factions income required to give[float]
    upper_diff_thresholdThreshold on sent faction strength/ settlement strength for difficulty = 1.0[float]

Payback Parameters
    ParameterDefinition
    payback_idNames the payback used
    papal_standingThe max papal standing the faction can have to receive the payback
    difficultyThe max difficulty level the faction can have to receive the payback
    cashThe max the factions treasury can be to receive the payback
    randomThe percentage chance of the faction receiving the payback

Rewards and Penalties
    Reward/PenaltyDefinitionSample UsageSample Explanation
    inquisition_chanceChance of inquisitor being sent to the factions landsinquisition_chance 0.550% chance of inquisitor being sent to target factions lands
    excommunication_chanceChance of the faction being excommunicatedexcommunication_chance 1.0Target faction will be excommunicated (100% chance)
    null_paybackText payback-- No direct consequenceMED_PAPAL_STANDING_PENALTYConsequences defined in other files such as descr_faction_standing.txt
    moneyFaction recieves moneymoney 1000Target faction recieves 1000 florins
    buildable_unitFaction recieves units that it is capable of recruitingbuildable_unit 800 2Target faction recieves 2 units worth up to 800 florins a piece
    best_buildable_unitFaction recieves the best units that it is capable of recruitingbest_buildable_unit 1200 3Target faction recieves 3 units worth up to 1200 florins a piece, of the highest level available
    guild_moneyFaction recieves money from a guildguild_money 200 merchants_guildThe Merchants Guild gives the target faction 200 florins
    assassination_chanceChance of a character from faction being assassinatedassassination_chance 0.055% chance of a character from the target faction being assassinated
    incomeMultiplies factions income (?)income 2.0Target faction recieves twice the income next turn
    minor_exotic_unitFaction recieves units that it is incapable of recruiting but another faction is (?)minor_exotic_unit 800 2Target faction recieves 2 units worth up to 800 florins a piece
    major_exotic_unitFaction recieves the best units that it is incapable of recruiting but another faction is (?)major_exotic_unit 1200 3Target faction recieves 3 units worth up to 1200 florins a piece, of the highest level available

Formulae
    NameFormula
    Exclude DurationS = (Si)N/E
    Join CrusadeC = (Ab)+P(Af)+G(Ag)+NS
    Cease HostilitiesS = [-0.03P+[(Ps)-A]/8+(D+1)/8+(Ss)+(Ds)+N+(As)+M+O+T]*(Aa)(Ah)(Ap)
    Send EmissaryS = 5(10.0-T)+2.5(M-N)
    AcquisitionS = FCM+VT+5N
    Trade AgreementS = 5(10.0-T)+2.5(M-N)
    RegicideS = 50(1.0-D)+M

Variables
    Exclude DurationJoin CrusadeCease HostilitiesSend EmissaryAcquisitionTrade AgreementRegicide
    S=New ScoreC=Chance of AI AcceptingS=ScoreS=ScoreS=ScoreS=ScoreS=Score
    Si=ScoreAb=AI Accept Base ChanceP=Popes Violence AttributeT=Turns DistanceF=Target FinanceT=Turns DistanceD=Difficulty
    N=Number of Turns SinceP=Papal StandingPs=Pfp Score ThresholdM=Max AgreementsC=Chance of SuccessM=Max AgreementsM=Stance Modifier
    E=Exclude DurationAf=AI Accept Faction Standing ModifierA=Attackers PfpN=Number of AgreementsM=Target ModifierN=Number of Agreementsx
    xG=Global StandingD=Defenders PfpxV=Trade Value of Targets Resourcexx
    xAg=AI Accept Global Standing ModifierSs=Settlement Score OffsetxT=Trade Modifierxx
    xN=Number of Settlements OwnedDs=Default Settlement Score OffsetxN=Number of Merchants Guildsxx
    xS=AI Settlement ModifierN=Navy Score Offsetxxxx
    xxAs=Army Score Offsetxxxx
    xxM=Military Access Score Offsetxxxx
    xxO=Own Region Army Score Offsetxxxx
    xxT=Target Mission Offsetxxxx
    xxAa=AI Attacker Modifierxxxx
    xxAh=AI Human Defender Modifierxxxx
    xxAp=AI Papal Defender Modifierxxxx

If you liked this guide or found it useful please +rep to let me know. In the mean time I will be updating my current guides, working on a guide in a new area, and starting a cooperative Mod team with Trask developing a Merchant Mod. Feel free to quote or completely repost this anywhere without my permission or giving me credit (so long as you don't give yourself the credit). All content in this guide belongs to the general community.

wow awesome work man.

Fixed the stretching of the page issue. Much easier to view now.

cancel alliance hurts your overall reputation...not that that means much either i guess

I think i've found a new mission type, i'm sure its not been mentioned here yet, its called Regicide

When playing as England I got the mission from Milan, who asked me to kill assassinate there own faction leader, saying something like, he's a bumbling fool etc, reward was 5000 and better standing with the faction, penilty is worse relations with the faction.

its a very, very hard mission as there faction leader also have a guard dog and spymaster looking out for him.

No idea what the trigger is.

I think i've found a new mission type, i'm sure its not been mentioned here yet, its called Regicide

When playing as England I got the mission from Milan, who asked me to kill assassinate there own faction leader, saying something like, he's a bumbling fool etc, reward was 5000 and better standing with the faction, penilty is worse relations with the faction.

its a very, very hard mission as there faction leader also have a guard dog and spymaster looking out for him.

No idea what the trigger is.
    It is mentioned in many of the tables. The problem is that it is broken in vanilla. They either forgot to script in the penalties or rewards or ran out of time. So completing the missions does nothing.

while playing the bigmap mod I can conferm that the Regicide misssion now does work as both times i completed the mission i was rewarded with 5000.

A down side of the mission is you will get an enemy faction reconnected if they have been excomunicated which could cause you to pospone your wars.

Does the AI get missions like council take settlement and council take rebel settlement?

Pnutmaster's Avatar Dominus Qualitatium

Quote Originally Posted by Yamoto View Post
    Does the AI get missions like council take settlement and council take rebel settlement?
    Can anyone confirm or refute this, having explored AI factions in hotseat mode? I'm inclined to believe they do, Crusades being one of them.
    Under the patronage and bound to the service of the
    artist formerly known as Squeakus Maximus
    Stoic Pantheist of S.I.N

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

This is one of the best and most comprehensive tutorials I have ever read. Thanks DarkKnight, though you seem to be long gone.

I was curious about these two...

minor_exotic_unit = Faction recieves units that it is incapable of recruiting but another faction is (?)
    major_exotic_unit = Faction recieves the best units that it is incapable of recruiting but another faction is (?)

Both caused a CTD with an "Error parsing payback list" error.

I searched the EXE for them and came up empty but I did find this: best_exotic_unit. And it worked. Trying it out as england it gave me Carracks - top tier ships that were certainly not recruitable at the time because I didn't have a Naval Drydock (or anything close to it).

So I have no idea what "exotic" means exactly, perhaps simply "best unit, currently-recruitable or not"?

I don't see how it could give the player units from another faction: if the player's faction has not been included for the unit in modeldb then surely the units would be missing textures in battle (or worse?). Maybe that kind of thing was possible in RTW (?).

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I would go with "designed for RTW" as answer, although I am not sure if the texture issue worked there either. You will certainly have silver surfers in M2TW if you get a land unit that hasn't got a texture assigned for your faction, other then that there shouldn't be a problem.

My theory: those are units that have a proper ownership in the EDU but cannot be recruited via EDB at that time - like the carrack you got.

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

My theory: those are units that have a proper ownership in the EDU but cannot be recruited via EDB at that time - like the carrack you got.
    I tried it again, this time constructing everything possible and firing necessary events for EDB conditions so that I could recruit Carracks myself. This time the reward was Knights Hospitaller.

Looks like your theory is correct Gigantus. It seems to be picking the best from units that cannot currently be recruited. Makes sense: they wouldn't be very exotic if you could make them yourself. I wonder what happens if there are no not-recruitable units remaining.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

I've got a question concerning this topic: is there a possibility to make a following mission reward: faction received an agent (say: a merchant)? Perhaps through a null payback?

Sure, you can make agents spawning via campaign_script, as alternative to the standard vanilla missions rewards... here a quick example (useful as draft) from GothicTW: final script after completion of mission, with reward to terminate it, descriptions put in historic_events.txt

monitor_event EventCounter EventCounterType nordmarklan5_accepted
    and I_LocalFaction denmark
    and I_EventCounter nordmarklan5_accepted == 1
    change_settlement_name NordmarTown NordmarTown
    spawn_character denmark Vandorn, priest, age 31, x 156, y 238
    console_command give_trait Vandorn magie_kreise 2
    console_command give_ancillary Vandorn mana_essenz
    spawn_army
    faction denmark
    character Ketil, admiral, age 30, x 164, y 241
    traits Sailor 3
    unit dromon exp 3 armour 1 weapon_lvl 1
    unit dromon exp 3 armour 1 weapon_lvl 1
    unit cog exp 3 armour 1 weapon_lvl 1
    end
    console_command add_money denmark -10000
    console_command create_building NordmarTown klhalle
    console_command create_building NordmarTown port
    console_command create_building NordmarTown merchants_wharf
    console_command create_building NordmarTown schiffswerft
    console_command create_building NordmarTown town_watch
    console_command create_building NordmarTown bowyer1
    console_command create_building NordmarTown market
    console_command add_population NordmarTown 600
    historic_event nordmarklan6
    terminate_monitor
    end_monitor

You can choose, basically, whatever you want as reward to a mission...

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Thanks, rafmc1989. I was curious in this context, perhaps it will be used somehow.
    JoC
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast