Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Preview 7 - Screenshots

gaunty14's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Preview 7 - Screenshots

All my modding knowledge extends to being reasonably families with the UI folder and being able to change/add character names and altering the desc strat by adding characters/changing armies etc, this suits me fine as I can have some fun with it especially with TATW and creating Feanor, Fingolfin and Finarfin for the Noldor faction

...not particularly useful when it comes to mapping, scripting and meshes/textures

"will help build battle station for food" - or rep

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

Well I have always created and edited units in my mods by re-texturing models and usually tinker with the stats. But mapping and coding would be beyond my capacity at present because of the time factor in doing it, which may be the reason many of these mods start with a rapid burst of enthusiasm and then peter out. Alpha Delta is still coming to TWC but I note that he no longer takes an active involvement. He certainly achieved a great deal with this mod anyway, as if you Google image for many subjects associated with English Civil War his units frequently appear. But it seems to me there is always scope to build upon achievement

My campaign at present very much resembles how the War progressed with the Royalists holding the South West, Wales and parts of Northern England and my Parliamentary forces sending trained troops from London northwards and westwards to engage a counter attack by the Royalists. In the last battle my Parliamentary forces camped outside Gloucester waiting for reinforcements from London, were subject to an all out assault by the enemy which proved a costly error to them. The real siege of Gloucester in 1643 was also a costly mistake by the King with Colonel Massie mounting an extremely effective defense against an all out assault.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Christonikos's Avatar Centenarius

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

I shot this just to show how cumbersome a 16th century infantry formation was, compared to a 17th century infantry formation.

This is what amounts to a tercio or any other large infantry column formation, composed mainly of close combat troops:

Very wasteful of manpower, IMO, compared to how a 17th century battalion (composed of either a single regiment, several battered regiments or as a part of a single larger regiment) was usually deployed:

The latter is how troops should be deployed in the campaign, too, if you are interested in at least some historical accuracy. Luckily, one of the preset deployments already does this, if you have roughly 2 shot to 1 pike.

I wonder is there a way to change the preset deployment?

Quote Originally Posted by naq View Post
    I wonder is there a way to change the preset deployment?
    Yes there is but this is not the right thread for it. Ask maybe the modding forum. The file you would need to edit is in the data folder, descr_formations_ai.txt. However, the Dutch formation was the one most commonly used in this war and in any case the AI army cannot keep it once it starts moving. Unfortunately, that annoying AI behaviour is hard-coded, so it cannot be modded. However, I wonder if one could make the AI infantry to be so defensive that it may not move at all unless it is taking heavy punishment, so as to keep its formation as long as possible.

With reference to Gaunty's comments about the suicidal AI cavalry and generals, perhaps you could try out a modified battle AI I made, to be found along with some related suggestions in my FKoC modding notes here.

I cannot understand how the original Spanish tertio shown by BOM worked, but the later tertios had companies of skirmishers on every corner who probably could redeploy as needed. Also the original 16th C Spanish columellas (prior to the Spanish tertio) were similar to the Dutch formation: a pike block with arquebusiers on either side.

Very nice carbiniers by Gaunty, there are some nice screenshots in this thread. Maybe you should be sending them to the Screenshot Competitions.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [MT2W FKoC AAR] Times full of Distemper
    Reviewed by robinzx at the Critic's Quill, Issue 31
    Last edited by Geoffrey of Villehardouin; October 10, 2012 at 06:41 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456