Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What was the height of the Ancient Greeks/Persians/Celts ?

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: What was the height of the Ancient Greeks/Persians/Celts ?

Romans were probably smaller than the Northern tribes due to their wheat based diet, whereas the Northern tribes consumed more meat and thus got more protein.
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Hanny View Post
    Related study:http://www.meteohistory.org/2005hist...epke_baten.pdf

Consider also min height for entry into Cohort Prime, and the lower height for other cohorts.

http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/25-...it=20&start=20

Here are some hard facts, taken from Geoffrey Kron, "Anthropometry, Physical Anthropology, and the Reconstruction of Ancient Health, Nutrition, and Living Standards," in Historia 54/1 (2005):

Kron found the mean height of 927 Italian adult males from 500 BC to 500 AD to be 168.3 cm, with no significant trends in height based on region or date. Some isolated findings:

146 individuals from Pontecagnano (4th-3rd c. BC), mean height 169.1 cm
    49 individuals from Herculaneum (various periods), mean height 169.1 cm
    67 individuals from Civitanova (various periods), mean height 169 cm
    60 individuals from Monte Casaia (various periods), mean height 167.8 cm

However, as he notes, these heights very likely underestimate the heights of young males of military age because they include many older males as well, and height can diminish as much as 3 cm during an individual's lifetime.

Lawrence Angel has also studied heights of individuals from Greek burials on a much smaller scale, and he found that based on a study of 58 individuals from Classical Greece, the mean height for males during this time was 170.5 cm. Based on a study of 28 individuals from Hellenistic Greece, the mean height was 171.9 cm. Further anthropometric studies of individuals buried in Corinth and the Athenian Kerameikos corroborate these findings.

Kron emphasizes that most of these mean heights were not reached again until the mid-19th century by many European nations, and not until the mid 20th century (!) by Italy and Greece.
    Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread, but what's the title of Angel's paper?

Quote Originally Posted by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius View Post
    I assume that data is pulled from The American Excavations in the Athenian Agora, Twenty-Seventh Report. Here is a PDF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enros View Post
    You don't seem to be familiar with how the burden of proof works in when discussing social justice. It's not like science where it lies on the one making the claim. If someone claims to be oppressed, they don't have to prove it.

conon394's Avatar hoi polloi
    Colfax WA, neat I have a barn and 49 acres - I have 2 horses, 15 chickens - but no more pigs

Quote Originally Posted by sumskilz View Post
    I assume that data is pulled from The American Excavations in the Athenian Agora, Twenty-Seventh Report. Here is a PDF.
    Can't find the source but its also pretty clear now Angle looks to have underestimated height particularity for women and their age. Some of the new tech bone density composition studies show from Athens and Thebes a really quit good diet comparable to Roman elites even down to what are assumed slave graves out of the silver mine regions. Again as always not the best sample sizes you might want but its nice to Angles almost rote zombie data not always just used without source or criticism or inspection.

-----------------------

Do you have to be sorry for it and get necro posting sarcasm. I mean it seems to me you often can't win for loosing. Post on the use of the Atomic Bomb and if you start a new thread you get equal sarcasm for not appending your new post to an old thread. It seems to me maybe a better choice since you are at least likely to get people who were interested in the thread to talk again.
    Last edited by conon394; October 02, 2021 at 12:08 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites

'One day when I fly with my hands - up down the sky, like a bird'

But if the cause be not good, the king himself hath a heavy reckoning to make, when all those legs and arms and heads, chopped off in battle, shall join together at the latter day and cry all 'We died at such a place; some swearing, some crying for surgeon, some upon their wives left poor behind them, some upon the debts they owe, some upon their children rawly left.

Hyperides of Athens: We know, replied he, that Antipater is good, but we (the Demos of Athens) have no need of a master at present, even a good one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12