Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval Total War - Redux (Beta)

Default Re: Medieval Total War - Redux (Beta)

Hello,
    I just installed MTW-R but I can't lauch the game When I click on the game icon, I hear the starting sound and then nothing happens. MTW doesn't even appear in the task manager.
    I have the 2.01 steam version, with no other versions of MTW installed.
    MTW without mod works fine.
    Any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiryu- View Post
    Hello,
    I just installed MTW-R but I can't lauch the game When I click on the game icon, I hear the starting sound and then nothing happens. MTW doesn't even appear in the task manager.
    I have the 2.01 steam version, with no other versions of MTW installed.
    MTW without mod works fine.
    Any idea?
    Ok, it was simply a problem with le localization files.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiryu- View Post
    Ok, it was simply a problem with le localization files.
    Hello,

I have MTW1 on my steam... and play with Redux MOD.

First you download http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/108...redux-beta1005
    And extract and replace the first in: \Steam\steamapps\common\Total War Medieval 1 Gold

Second you download http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/108...ux-vi-beta1005
    And extract and replace the second in: \Steam\steamapps\common\Total War Medieval 1 Gold

And play

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Hi all and thanks for posting....

A special welcome to Tog, Hiryu (excellent that things got resolved for you) and Marcelo (consider applying RX-Unipatch 2?) in equal measure as they are all (seemingly) first-time participants and posters here at the TWC. Now, I basically missed all the buzz about the MTW-release on Steam much due to my limited personal interest and use of the same. I was honestly suprised at the fact that CA had made evident efforts to make raw MTW compatible with modern OS and hardware - and that is of course grand news for all things related to MTW, this for both modders and players alike. MTW is thus actually made more relevant, interesting and accessable again to a much larger audience and that is of course great, and obviously a big win for all things related to MTW, Redux included.

I do hope that veterans and experienced players of Redux can step up here and help out any new players, who is now discovering Redux for the first time, due to the new and outlined circumstances that the MTW Steam-release enables. Basically, share your hard-earned experiences in Redux and we as a community of RX-players will be better off as a result, not to mention it will be much more fun for everyone if you do. Any Redux newbee-guides or otherwise are welcome too (I mean, if XL-players can create guides for XL - and they have - surely RX-players are just as capable to do that for Redux, right? The value of such guides are obvious). All this on general terms...

Quote Originally Posted by tog View Post
    ... The only problem that I can see with this mod is that everything progresses so fast. What I mean by that is their are already super powers in the year 800 AD which I feel like that you would win the game well before the end date and that a lot of factions would be dead before that as well. I like to play very long games and see most factions stick around for most of the game kinda like history. I know that`s impossible to mod in the game. Other than that it seems like you have done gods work... Again I thi[a]nk you!
    First, thanks for taking time and posting here, Tog... ‘Tis true that the pace is different and typically faster in Redux. Faster in that sense that AI-factions are faster to act, and that the troops they build are more quickly of a serious kind. All the same, its hard to escape that you do have some 200 extra game-turns in Redux in direct comparison to raw MTW, which allows you to play things real slow, if that is preferred, that in a way that the raw game does not afford (regardless how we spin it).

Furthermore, the RX-AI wont wait for you (or other factions), if we cant or don't keep up with events – we certainly can lose the entire campaign (as have happened to many players, it seems). The chance for a loss is certainly there in Redux – this at a whole other level then it ever was in raw MTW. And it rather easy to see why too, as Redux is with little doubt significantly harder then raw MTW, all over basically (this deliberately). The point being here is that the only way to get any honest uncertainty of the outcome (which is a critical prerequisite for any functional game, regardless of anything) is to make things more complex, diverse and challenging – which is exactly what I have done with in Redux. The RX-AI, among many other things, will act and do things differently then the standard AI of MTW (simply put, due to better and more functional designs). That results, among other things, in more frequent and faster destruction of factions as that is part of the basic AI-workorder (as it should be) – “destroy the enemy as to ensure your own security and influence”... Thus it is impossible to maintain any prolonged status quo on the map once the AI-faction has enough troops to act – and it will - and then the status quo is obviously gone. The reality is that the only way to actually create the circumstances that you call for there is to have a dysfunctional AI, that does not do what it should - namely to actively serve and defend its own factions interests....

Quote Originally Posted by The Bold Burgundian View Post
    ALL HAIL BURGUNDY, THE TRUE LORDS OF THE FRANKS.
    You heard it here first folks.... I dont dare question this particular Burgundian or he will start throwing that Dijon-mustard at me....

About Redux & Steam...

Leviath (and Marcelo too!) have kindly confirmed that Redux works just fine with Steam, provided all parts of Redux are also correctly installed. For running Redux on Steam you need to also apply the VI/Gold/v.2.01-upgrade for Redux - this at all times. Also, using the corresponding material of “Unipatch 2” is also recommended all the way - you will get a better experience as a result. I’ll update/clarify the first post somewhat in regards to Steam. Also feel free to give some new shiny rep to Leviath for doing the tests on Redux, this for the general gain of all you Steam-users... Anyhow, he outlines all you need to do to play Redux on Steam like this, and I quote (slightly edited and formatted by me for increased clarity here)...

Quote Originally Posted by Leviath
    Hey guys,

I am listing here big mods still available and working for the Steam version of the game. I tested all of them myself to be sure. Be advised, mods overrun vanilla game files so if you want to desinstall a mod and play the vanilla game again, you'll have to delete the game from steam and delete the "Total war medieval 1 gold" folder in the steam folder manually, then reinstall the game.

MTW-Redux :
    *********************************************************************************
    Developped by Axalon, it offers a campaign spanning from 700 to 1260 AD with 11 factions playable,
    challenging AI, new campaign map textures (splendid) and new units.

First download and install the Redux Beta 1005 :
    http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/108...redux-beta1005

Then the Redux VI Upgrade :
    http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/108...ux-vi-beta1005

Finally, the Unipatch2 :
    http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/109...unipatch-1005e

Intallation is all about copy/pasting files into the game folder, see the README.txt for more infos.

Thread on TWC :
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...r-Redux-(Beta)
    Anything else, fire away folks...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; June 30, 2015 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Corrections...

gord96's Avatar Domesticus

Hello

Great mod! Using it on Steam right now.

What are the differences between the difficulty levels? Since I haven't played Redux before and haven't played MTW1 in 10+ years I thought I would start on 'Casual' as the Byz Empire? What kind of campaign should I expect?

Thanks!

Hi man, and thanks...

I’ll try to stick to some selected basics otherwise this will easily end up a gigantic post in no-time. Anyhow... The difference between difficulty-levels in Redux – besides all the usual hardcoded combat-bonuses back and forth (which will obviously matter) – is basically limited to the circumstances you forced to face at at startup, as ultimately expressed by the size of your starting coffers... Let's compare stuff and you will probably get a general idea here...

REDUX*
    At “veteran”-difficulty you start with 500 florins while all AI-factions start with 2000 florins.
    At “normal” - you start with 1000 florins while all AI-factions start with 2000 florins.
    At “casual” - you start with 2000 florins. AI-factions start with 4000 florins
    At “easy” - you start with 4000 florins. AI-factions start with 8000 florins.

*Note also that basically everything (buildings, troops and agents) in Redux are significantly more expensive, on top of all things...

Raw MTW** (for reference)
    At "expert"-difficulty, you start with 4000 florins. AI-factions start with 8000 florins.
    At "hard" - you start with 6000 florins. AI-factions start with 12.000 florins.
    At "normal" - you start with 8000 florins. AI-factions start with 16.000 florins.
    At "easy" - you start with 10.000 florins. AI-factions start with 20.000 florins.

**Note also that basically everything (buildings, troops and agents) in raw MTW are significantly cheaper, on top of all things...

Other then that, the choice of faction will matter much more in Redux as they are (far) more diverse and different in terms of overall circumstances. The are 3 kinds of factions in Redux... Regular factions (usually harder and more complex) – Spain, Poland, France, England, HRE, and Italy (the first two being the toughest). Optional factions (usually easier and less complex) – Moors, Saracens, Byzantines, Russians and the Norse (the last two are the toughest of these). Non-playable factions (never intended to be played somehow, by default designs) – Hungary, Lombardy, Burgundy, Papacy, Portugal and Lithuanians...

Now, choosing an optional faction will typically make the game easier to handle then playing a regular would. The Moors, Saracen and Byzantines also got Supremacy-bonuses which makes them extra easy to play due to the fact... That 1000 florins per turn bonus will obviously make all (or most) things a lot easier for them then say for - the Russians or the Norse – who are being forced to make due without it, and earn their coin by other means. Trade, plunder, farming or what have you. Regular faction are usually more difficult then that as well... As the Byzantines, you will have plenty of cash - as long as you successfully defend your supremacy-bonus, but on the other hand regular Byzantine forces are rather expensive so they will probably eat up a bit of that cash. Eventually you will have to develop your byzantine empire to scrape together enough cash to build additional forces for conquest. Experience suggests that the Saracens and Italians are likely to be among the first factions to do war with Byzantium, make preparation accordingly... Obviously other factions will follow after them you must have armies to defend Byzantium or you will perish basically. Armies are more important then anything else but Byzantium will benefit of decent fleet too, thus try to build some of that too.

Also, don't be afraid to experiment with various external/provincial units found all over the map, use as auxiliaries to a core of byzantine infantry and cavalry, as that will offer increased diversity in your armies and that is always valuable in battle – especially in Redux. It will make things cheaper too... Also, keep in mind that bolts and arrows kills in Redux, regardless the difficulty setting AND it applies to Cataphracts as well. Keep in mind that battles are typically much harder in Redux then in MTW, if you screw up things in battle, the effects and following casualties of that are likely to be much higher in Redux - no matter what basically.

Well, that's some various stuff for you on that note to consider...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; June 30, 2015 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Mo stuff!

Thank you sir! Great info. I really appreciate it! I will report back on how I do!

One other question I had was if it was normal for a bunch of alliance at first? Seem every faction is real friendly with each other? I have like 7 alliances as well. I imagine once a few wars get going all those alliances come tumbling down? I am only in 720.

Can't believe how much I am enjoying MTW1 lol.
    Last edited by gord96; July 01, 2015 at 12:41 AM.

|Sith|Galvanized Iron's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Is this mod-foldered?
    Also responsible for the Roma Surrectum II Multiplayer mode
    Rest In Peace Colonel Muammar Gaddafi
    Forward to Victory Great Leader Assad!

Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|Galvanized Iron View Post
    Is this mod-foldered?
    no. i don't think any MTW1 mods are mod foldered.

Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|Galvanized Iron View Post
    Is this mod-foldered?
    What gord96 said... No work done for MTW is... The concept of such things came with later TW-titles (RTW was it? Later?) etc. etc. For MTW its the ‘ol backup and replace files or mods can not happen... Redux included of course...

Quote Originally Posted by gord96 View Post
    One other question I had was if it was normal for a bunch of alliance at first? Seem every faction is real friendly with each other? I have like 7 alliances as well. I imagine once a few wars get going all those alliances come tumbling down? I am only in 720.
    Yeah, its common that many or most factions are all chummy and alliance-happy at startup. Of course, that won’t last... Som factions start war earlier then others – Portugal being the most notorious and typical warstarter of them all. Lombardy and Italy also have a hard time getting along, throw in Burgundy too in that mess and you got a typical Redux-scenario (but far from the only one). Every campaign differs so its hard to make predictions that will hold for most campaigns...

There are some design-notes in the “Redux Bonus Materials”-folder, specifically on the faction-grudges, check it out...

- A

good stuff! thanks again Axalon! Yes I think i am allied with every nation, but so is everyone else. lol. i can only imagine these alliance will tumble down once a few wars start.

thanks for this great mod!

Axalon yes with RXB-Unipacth 1005e nice mod!

Hi, Axalon! Great job! very interesting and good looking mod! Thank you!

I have a some questions about modding (if you do not mind):
    1. How to make command stars of leader/army stack invisible/visible on campaign map?
    2. How to make leader/army stack looks like completely filled despite the how many units within it? (as it's in Pike & Musket TW MOD, if you know)

Quote Originally Posted by rossolov View Post
    1. How to make command stars of leader/army stack invisible/visible on campaign map?
    Find the star texture and make it transparent.
    2. How to make leader/army stack looks like completely filled despite the how many units within it? (as it's in Pike & Musket TW MOD, if you know)
    If you want to make it properly it's a bit of work. Each BIF file contains 256 color table indexed 0-255. Banner has 16 fill levels (0-1, 2-60, 61-120,..,901-960). If you want to make banner always full you need to find the the color index that are used for full stack (960 man at normal unit size) and paint the whole banner with it. The color itself is not important, only its position in BIF's color table. Even if you manage this it'll be still a little tricky to properly convert a BMP to BIF without loosing all the data stored in color table. You will need "CA BIF BUF tools", Photoshop (or other program that can handle direct color table manipulations) and ReadBif. If you can't find tutorials here check The Org.
    Last edited by Stazi; July 05, 2015 at 11:01 AM.

*Installation issue resolved, please delete.
    Last edited by Cyprian2; July 07, 2015 at 12:46 PM. Reason: no longer an issue

In the meantime, here are some pictures from my Polish campaign, as promised.

PART 1
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Year: 1217
    Difficulty: Veteran

The Polish empire stretches from the Baltic to the Black sea.

King Leszek II is no slouch, though he lacks battlefield experience,
    given that the realm has been at peace for the entire twenty-five years of his reign.

Leszek musters a host and invades Lithuania; he resolves to deal with those pagans once and for all.

Prince Miezco, sole heir of Poland’s crown, is a hot-blooded youth of fifteen, untested in the ways of war and politics.
    The prince will accompany his father’s host, riding in the vanguard, with little hope of actually seeing combat.

In 1217, the two armies meet in the grassy plain outside of Vilnius.

The Lithuanian Grand Prince, Melvarnas V, knows that to be trapped within the walls of his castle will mean slow, grinding defeat from disease and hunger. He sallies with a large army consisting mainly of his crack Lithuanian cavalry. These are proud nobles who have benefited much from raids into Polish territory. Knowing that to cut off the Polish king and his knights would mean even greater rewards, the Lithuanians ride forth with confidence.

The Polish royal army consists of a strong backbone of halberd infantry, supported by slavic footmen, as well as several contingents of slavic knights.
    Crossbowmen and royal archers march in the vanguard, while a lone company of mercenary spearmen prepared to ply their deadly trade on the left flank.
    In the centre, rides King Leszek himself, surrounded by his bodyguard of royal knights.

In the opening phase of the battle, the heavily armed Polish foot soldiers make short work of the mounted Lithuanians. Soon the ground is a slurry
    of mud and entrails, while the air is filled with the screams of dying men and horses. The Polish infantry pushes ever forward, carving red swaths in
    the Lithuanian front line.

Eager to demonstrate his bravery and bolster the spirit of his men, Grand Prince Malvarnas charges with his bodyguard toward
    the royal eagle standard of Poland.

For a time, the field is hotly contested, but the Lithuanian horsemen finally give way, and their ruler flees...

...leaving behind a tale of carnage: dead horses and men scattered like chaff.

Confident in a Polish victory, King Leszek and his knights pursue the fleeing Lithuanian monarch deep into a tangled forest, and quickly find themselves cut off by the Lithuanian reinforcements:

Though they fight furiously, the slavic knights are cut down to the last man, leaving only Leszek and one of his most loyal bodyguards surrounded by the advancing Lithuanian horde.

At the same time, the footmen on the Polish left are foundering under waves of Lithuanian cavalry.

One contingent of halberdiers holds its ground...

But it is too late to avoid the humiliation of a king...

Seeing the direness of his situation, King Leszek flees the field, while the brave unit of halberdiers cover his retreat.

Watching from the surrounding hills, Prince Miezco makes a fateful decision, and orders a final desperate charge of the Polish reinforcements. We can only speculate that Miezco, no longer seeing his father's standard on the field, now believes himself to be king, and is ready to die for that privilege.

With his father’s host scattered, Prince Miezco orders forward his own small contingent of knights, along with a band of crossbowmen that have been kept in reserve.

While the Lithuanians sensed triumph after Leszek’s retreat, they lack the numbers and morale to hold the field against the final Polish onslaught. Those not already killed or captured are too scattered to mount a defence against even a small force of charging knights.

The remaining Lithuanians retreat to Vilnius castle, where they hope they can defy the exhausted Poles.

While Prince Melvernas lives, the Lithuanian cause is not lost…

And King Leszek knows that he must win back the confidence of his men. He resolves to press his attack and take Vilnius castle, or die in the attempt.

To be continued...
    Last edited by Cyprian2; July 07, 2015 at 10:12 AM.

I've just tried the Russian campaign and a few others. No problem. If you don't see blue intro screen you had to install something wrong. Make that you've overwritten all files while copying from archive. The main mod archive and VI upgrade contains blue intro screen and you somehow missed both. It's probably the source of other errors too.
    Last edited by Stazi; July 07, 2015 at 12:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stazi View Post
    I've just tried the Russian campaign and a few others. No problem. If you don't see blue intro screen you had to install something wrong. Make that you've overwritten all files while copying from archive. The main mod archive and VI upgrade contains blue intro screen and you somehow missed both. It's probably the source of other errors too.
    Ergh. Yes. It turns out my archiver wasn't replacing the files properly. Got it working now. Thanks, Stazi. I'm more than a little embarrassed...

Hi and thanks again guys...

BTW, I would welcome any input and thoughts on the changes brought by Unipatch2 as it has been out for some six weeks now, and I have had no comments or remarks on it so far (meaning I have zero clue what RX-players think of it). Could some of you here remedy that and post me something on that note? Any thoughts, opinions and/or experiences? Did anyone like the new black fla for the Moors for instance? Some input is always better then zilch and it is basically the only way for me to get a clue what people actually thinks about it, after all... I know what I think, but what do you guys think about Unipatch2 and the changes?

Gord96, by all means post up on your experience and observations with the RX-Byz.... Or maybe you could tell me and others here which of RX-Byz-units did you like the most? And which the least? Why, why, oh why etc. etc. Or any other such stuff. I bet some people out there would be interested in reading about such things. Provided you are up for it, of course.

As ever Cyprian, once you grab that goose-pen you always entertain the rest of us with your tales/adventures in Redux. Again it does have that kind of implicit oldschool comic-strip feel to it (which I like). There are some good screens included as well (too good to be mere chance, me thinks). Keep going, and keep it up! ...If you folks also like Cyprians Polish tale, offer him some fluffy shiny rep as a token of your approval (as I have). Just saying....

... I have a some questions about modding (if you do not mind):
    Depends on the context (as ever), if its Redux-related somehow I will have no problems with it being asked/discussed/answered here - but is it? ...?... If not, then it has little place in this thread, for rather self-explanatory reasons...

Anything else, fire away folks....

- A

Axalon, all links of your mod had shut down with Atomic Gamer. Is there any other place that is hosted your mod?