Page 2 of 35 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval Total War - Redux (Beta)

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

Default Re: Medieval Total War Redux 1.0 available....

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post

The Russ: Hey man, do you realize that you are the only one who had the guts to post twice in this thread so far? He he! Anyways, is there any redux time on the menu soon?!? Are you content with the Romans for now?

(I thought it might be, it’s 10000 years ago I heard it myself, I’m kind of into the jazzrock thing (among other stuff) and that album is by many regarded as milestone in that area (so they say), although I don’t have it myself. Is Miles Davis a favourite of yours?)

Ha, well, I do what I can. I haven't been able to play Redux because I didn't bring my MTW to Uni with me, but I'm going home next week, so I'll definitely try it out.

As for Miles Davis, yeah, I'm a big fan, though B Brew isn't my favourite album of his. To be honest, I don't really like it that much, it's just got some awesome cover art. But yeah, I'm also a fan of jazz rock fusion.

Axalon you should apply for local moderator so you can have your own subforum for your mod. That might draw more attention and make things easier to organize.
    I don't think that that's very important. BKB, XL, Napoleonic, and Pike and Musket don't even have their own subforums, and they're the biggest MTW mods out there. There just is't a lot of traffic coming through these sacred halls. A thread will suffice, I think, though you could ask to get it pinned.

Or you could ask for a moderator to put up an announcement on the front page, or have an interview with the Eagle Standard.

I think the latter might be a great idea to boost advertising: just PM Empress Meg and tell her that I recommended an interview.

Oh, and Axalon, try not to get to angry when people compare your mod to XL. Its in the nature of the beast. People always try to compare one thing to another, whether it be mods, movies, books etc.
    Last edited by therussian; September 19, 2008 at 09:52 AM.

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

I seriously doubt this will work on vista, oh well...

The screenshots of the soldiers look great though.

Why doubt?

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Orgath View Post
    I seriously doubt this will work on vista, oh well...
    I wouldn't worry so much about Vista as I would your video card. If you've got an Nvidia or an ATI, you could definitely have some difficulties.
    "Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." - Pascal

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Hi guys,

Yeah, why doubt? Why not find out instead? I for sure don’t know if it works. Would you do the honours Orgath? How about it? And maybe you could post in your findings here? At any rate, I never claimed that redux should or even would work with Vista anyhow. But I sure would love to add “redux seems to work with Vista as well”. Anyways, glad you like the pics.

Armatus & the Russ: Many thanks for the ideas guys, I do appreciate it. However, for the time being I am way to busy with the VI-upgrade and I want to release at least that first before I personally will do anything about those things. A PM to Empress Meg sounds like a good idea (interview hah?), FrontPage exposure would have been fantastic, have this thread pinned sure would be a plus. Is she the right person to contact for these things? At any rate, I guess only time will tell what eventually happens. Regardless, it is clear beyond any doubt that some external publicity help for redux sure would be advantageous here at the TWC.

the Russ: “…try not to get to angry when people compare your mod to XL. Its in the nature of the beast. People always try to compare one thing to another, whether it be mods, movies, books etc.”

He he he! Well put! I was not angry, I had every reason to be, but I really was not. Did I give that impression? If so, oops! I actually mean that sincerely. I was annoyed (no question about that). Annoyed by the fact that I had to politely deal with unnecessary dumb, rude and witless notions, ideas and behaviour. And since I don’t want any kind of such stuff in this thread I was merely trying to be firm and explicit. As in, I won’t participate in it and I won’t sanction it either. Because even if you are right, which you probably are (he he! Oh boy are you right!), it does not in any way mean that I have to conform to such stupid activities upon a given request to do so. Now does it!?!

Besides it’s so downright indecent, arrogant and rude too so light-headedly and hastily judge the all the hard work done by any designer who has done any major mod for MTW (or anything else for that matter, and especially if it was a solo made effort). And such stupid activities will only be done with the complete disregard and disrespect for all the work and effort done for that particular piece. Which by the way has also been made completely free of charge!

What I am trying to say is that it is nothing short of unbothered kick in the face on the poor bastards whose work is subjugated to such a treatment. Now, I know that 99% of those who engage in these activities don’t have the wits to realize all that, sad as it may be, but to me it still does not excuse such behaviour (and I don’t even consider myself to be that smart). Besides, (again) what you do privately is one thing, trying to do it in public is quite another.

Finally, I might not always share to views on different issues with the few other designers that are out there (If we limit things to major mods for MTW), but I’m sure as hell is having a deep respect for their overall efforts made, enough to fight the good fight for them. And if I have to, I will defend their work from such atrocities whenever that is needed.

(I do appreciate your “friendly cautions” however, and if you deem such to be needed again further down the road, by all means give ‘em to me again.)

Martok: That kind of narrows it down a bit… He he he…. However, since redux got the ”Nvidia high end”-GFX fix built into it (or rather a special redux version of it), there still is a chance for a happy end here. And, as you all too well know, it kind of works on some of the ATI-cards as well. Ah well, I already know that we are on the same side here. Hey! How about Matrox?!?

- Cheers

PrivateJoh's Avatar Tiro

Hi Axalon,

I have always been captivated by MTW/VI (I still think it is the best Total War release ever) and have spent numerous hours with it. I had also briefly tried some mods, but between their inaccuracies and the release of RTW, I simply quit.

However, I just run into your post in the .org and decided to have a go at it again, which maybe also leads to some XL , BKB or whatever other are mods out there.

Unfortunatelly, I am one of the "unlucky" 8800 series owners, which means I cannot really play, so do not expect any feedback here. What I can tell you, is that you are guilty of having me considering adding a second graphics card to my computer. Or, in an easier option, push my wife away from my old computer so I can have a go at it. Either way, you are causing me a lot of grief and worries, not to mention flower expenses if I have to resort to the second method.

Anyway, now you mention a "full" VI 2.01 release within this month, so I think I will try to retain myself and wait for it while I consider my options.

In any case, thanks for your efforts and your mod, I wish I could help you guys any way, but I am a complete failure and utterly useless. After the release though, I commit myself to providing some useful feedback.

Take care,

Joh

Quote Originally Posted by Joh View Post
    Unfortunatelly, I am one of the "unlucky" 8800 series owners, which means I cannot really play, so do not expect any feedback here.
    Oooh that's unfortunate, I also have the 8800. I would have tested if this mod would work on Vista, but now that I know it won't work on my graphics card I guess it won't do any good. Oh well, I guess I'll play RTW until Starcraft 2 comes out.

He he he! Hi there,

Now, before I go to “trial” Joh, (how sweet these accusations are! He he he!) I have brought with me some “defence” so that I may have a chance to walk out of here a free man yet! Now, according to my first witness: “Metal Militia” you might actually have a third option, as in this:

“Try the 174.20 drivers (get them from Guru3d), and update DirectX (geez, I'm posting this a lot, lately). Just make sure to set the driver for Medieval to Single GPU, or you may be unable to force V-Sync, and will crash. The game will work great. . . .”

All this according “Metal Militia”, and I do think that it is worth a shot, don’t you? Because flower expenses are serious things and you shouldn’t mess around with those…. Besides I have personally heard a rumor that Nv8800 allegedly works with MTW. However I can’t verify this in any way. It’s all hearsay.

“After the release though, I commit myself to providing some useful feedback.”

Please do, it sure would be a welcomed change around here. Since it’s not that easy to maintain this thread if everyone simply refuses to try the game out, now is it?!? I got some small hopes here that perhaps you will finally break the ice here at the TWC and make people realize that this game can actually be played and that it is possible to actually have some fun with it while doing so.

I guess that only time will tell how things finally turn out. We’ll see. At any rate, thanks for the praise man.

About the “official” release of the VI-upgrade then, yes. The deadline stands; it will be released October 1st, at the very latest. What it will do is mainly, killing all the known bugs and errors that redux got after the conversion from V.1.1. Also there are some adjustments and corrections, unit stuff mostly (Islamic and Byzantine troop adjustments, AI-values, availability, rebel settings etc.) and there are some new sounds and other stuff in it as well.

Cheers man!
    ------------
    Orgath; if you are still around, I got another suggestion for you: try the Nvidia 174.74 drives, they are for WinVista only. Maybe they will work. And don’t forget that redux is more compatible with newer GFX-cards than the original. If you do try it, please post in your findings here…
    Last edited by Axalon; September 24, 2008 at 06:13 PM. Reason: update

Turkeys!'s Avatar Praepositus

I'm having a bit of a problem with battles. I keep telling my troops to setup and move to a certain place but they just end up going the completely opposite direction. It makes it impossible for me to do anything coordinated. I already tried bumping the resolution down thinking that may help but it didn't. Do you know how to fix this?

EDIT : Turns out this is a problem even with vanilla , god I hate all these problems with new hardware
    Last edited by Turkeys!; September 27, 2008 at 10:56 AM.

Hi there Turkeys(!),

Well… Thus we can safely draw the conclusion that it is not in any way connected to redux itself, but rather to the MTW original. Is it an NVIDIA 8000+ GFX card you have? It sounds that way. Did you try the drivers and stuff mentioned above? At any rate, aint it typical? I mean you actually find something that seems interesting enough to download and play and then you can’t because of Hardware issues… Besides it’s just my luck here at the TWC. Things have not gone as well here as I initially hoped they would (although, I must admit my expectations were already low at the beginning). TWC being the grand stronghold of Rome and M2TW and all that (hell, there are even rome stuff here in this half-abandonded area). You know, you are actually the first guy that have tried the game and posted in about it (implicitly that is, and that some three weeks after I posted here that MTW-redux was available. That isn’t very impressive).

I’m sorry man, but I probably can’t offer you more than my sympathies. Besides I have no info to go on (you have not posted in any specs of hardware for me to consider) so the best I can do is wild guesses here. And such activities usually are not that productive. If you got an older computer chances are good that you could run redux (and the original) on that. Otherwise I can only offer you the long shot that you could install some basic, but new drivers, for your mouse and maybe, just maybe that will make your PC to come to its senses. But as I told you earlier, I am guessing here...

“…god I hate all these problems with new hardware”

That makes two of us…

- Cheers
    ---------
    BTW: The Who, "Live at Leeds" is really a kick ass album, check it out.

Turkeys!'s Avatar Praepositus

Yeah your probably right , well thanks for the response. I think I will try the drivers , better than nothing! Oh and I think people are too busy playing the mod .

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    BTW: The Who, "Live at Leeds" is really a kick ass album, check it out.
    An excellent album indeed.

Default Re: Medieval Total War - Redux 1.0

Ok, I have released the “official” redux VI-upgrade. Click on the pic to get to the download and info area (or click on my
    signature, it will also have the same effect). Hope you guys have lots of fun with redux while using this module!

- Enjoy
    Last edited by Axalon; March 30, 2009 at 04:57 PM. Reason: update

Default Re: Medieval Total War - Redux 1.0b

Ok, I have now released the “Superfix V.1.1”. Click on the pic to get to the download and info area (or click on my signature, it will also have the same effect). Hope you guys running redux upon v.1.1 have lots of fun with while using this!

However, due to the eternal wisdom of the filefront management I was recently forced to do a new upload of the full MTW-redux.rar package. Because of that I have the past few days been building a new and fully updated version of the standard redux package, the MTW-Redux 1.0b. The superfix is all included in this new version and there are some other new stuff included there as well, including the new “fools install guide”. Thus there will only be one single download from now on (knock on wood!), as long as you play upon MTW v.1.1. The VI-players still have to download the VI-upgrade module to make redux compatible with that.

In other words, the superfix is only really useful to those of you who have a copy of the initial and first edition of redux, and at the same time only have access to MTW v.1.1. The Superfix is essentially for you guys who are not that interested in downloading the full new version of MTW-redux 1.0b (then again perhaps there are some that do want to have all the files in one single package, then by all means download the new version. After all this is all up to you guys.).

At any rate, I have now uploaded and put up the new stuff. I have also put up a new threadheader pic for the TWC redux area, essentially the new “TWC look” over at the Org it is another. Ah well, hope you guys enjoy this one!

- Cheers
    ----------
    I hope not the admin shoot me for this… However, I feel that this is by any standard worth posting so, there you have it. BTW, questions, experiences with the game or perhaps some sharing of campaign stories, by all means post it in. It would be some interesting reading for me and probably for plenty of others as well.
    Last edited by Axalon; March 30, 2009 at 04:59 PM. Reason: cleaning...

Hey ax,
    I actually didn't realise you had a forum spot here too.

I've been wrestling with my roof the last few days and then with Paint Shop Pro. I hate that program.
    I'm trying to create hats out of the original moslim portraits that I can move onto your creations, but I cannot make it work yet. Too many options and everything is different. I'll have to gain experience.
    I don't know if I'm going to be able to create a lot of sultans like that.
    I'll try to work on it this week and if I have no good results I'll go back to "playing" Redux . That's probably more fun then.
    I used to edit with ADC2 (boardgame markers, etc). I liked that. Creating stuff.

Talk to you later.

PrivateJoh's Avatar Tiro

Hi everybody,

Here is my little contribution to the Redux project.

I have finished a document stating the stats for the "core" troops for all the playing factions (9 as far as I remember), and that soon I will start with the non-playable (on-going project). I have added some "minor "modifications to the initial template. To check the current status follow the link. FEEDBACK is encouraged and definitely most welcome.

http://www.megaupload.com/dk/?d=GX46SLJO

Hope this helps to decide which troops to build and what to match them against!

Happy playing,

Joh

I downloaded it. Very helpfull. Great job.

Here some of my early results with producing sultan head (not perfected yet) with the sultans. I actually need different kind of beard.

Hi guys, oh boy is it nice to see you two around in these parts!

Did you know that this place *actually* got some modest coverage in the Eagle Standard! Hehe! Found that out by pure chance while checking some other stuff. It was quite a surprise for me and I first thought it had to be a mistake somewhere but apparently it is all in good order... I sure was surprised and I didn’t see that coming! It is found in the "Eras"-section right Here!

Joh: Ok, I’ve checked up on your stuff and it seems that you set up a good routine for it now. The first are always the hardest. Now you got nine! They are functional, clean and good no doubt about that. I have some further suggestions/ideas/brainstorming for you that probably would improve it further, that’s my guess anyhow. Here are the stuff I had in mind for you (in chaotic order):
    • You could start off with a big sized reference/stat-map (at least 4x current size for a unit or something, its hard to be overly obvious here) were you actually write in exactly what everything stands for, as in “Attack” were that is and “Defence” were that is located on your matrix/grid. My suggestion is that you have this on “Page2”.
    • You would probably be better off with a few initial definitions and explanations as well. Explain and define what you mean by “core units”. Explain what you mean with the asterisks. Again it is hard to be overly obvious here. Generally speaking do some definitions and explanations it wont hurt none. Explain the model of selection you have applied.
    • Perhaps some minor chart over stuff like “dicipline”, things that is fairly limited with in its variables (how about uppgrades in armor and weaponry or perhaps some stats on bows and crossbows?!?). Stuff like that and that is at the same time usefull or intresting to know about. How about such stuff all gathered in place, after all redux are very special when it comes to projectiles....
    • I found some “passive” crossbows in the italians page, maybe there are some more of that stuff around. Have another check on that perhaps?
    • I will set some of the pics you want right here... Was there any particular pic(s) you had in mind?
    • You simply got have some cool cover for it or something. I could upload it here for PR, PR, PR! Hell I could perhaps do some cool and sexy title text or something, but you must determine what it should say if you want any of that to happen.

What else? Oh well its blank now... If I come up with anything more I'll post it here.

William: It must be a small hell to carving out everything exactly. You really need Photoshop man! You basic Ideas are all good but your tool is obviously crap since it makes things harder for you to realize your intentions. Besides how many Muslim portraits did you have in mind? 5? 10? 50? 100? At any rate, I would suggest that you could also consider using the covered face-stuff of assassins as well, it might work. ....Did you expect me to do the "special" harem-girls...? (No, I'm not serious)

Sorry folks, not much hardcore redux info this time, but be sure to check out Johs preliminary unit-charts,
    it is very useful for all thorough commanders, crammed with valid unit-stats!

- Cheers
    -----------
    Any ideas for Joh? Post ‘em in right here!
    Last edited by Axalon; November 05, 2008 at 06:59 AM.

Ax, with this program I'm not planning on making any. It's not that I do not know how to do it, the program makes it indeed a hell to get it done .
    The hats are easy to distract from the MTW moslim portraits. Clothes is a little bit harder. They have not much colour. I would use the chain-mail-neck look. Beards have to be adjusted to more moslim look.

If I ever get Photoshop maybe. I actually like the way Paint works. It just doesn't have the layer option to move pieces of a picture (and no tga).

This was my last try
    Back to waging war.
    Last edited by William the Silent; November 05, 2008 at 06:09 PM.