Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval Total War - Redux (Beta)

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Default Re: Medieval Total War - Redux (Beta)

Hey Georgi,

Don't mind the colors man, they mean nothing. The pic is based on the raw region-file but I tinted
    it as to make it look slightly less screwed up/weird, little else. Thanks for sounding off here - and
    yeah, I am now working (again) on RXB1004...

Anything else or further comments on the map, fire away folks...

- A

The Bold Burgundian's Avatar Ducenarius

Looks promising, I am glad you are working on Redux again.

Add Burgundy as a faction plox plox!
    T.W.C.
    Total War Cynics

Hi Pies/BB/Boldy... (I'll stick with Boldy)

Umm, four things... First, thanks for posting (as ever). Secondly, the engine and my overriding compatibility goals/doctrines for Redux kills the possibility for me to unlock Burgundy as dictated by V.1.1 engine-limitations. Thirdly, unlocking Burgundy on your own is really simple - and - it is already 100% functional all over, its ready to go, all the necessary files are already included. All you need to do is to unlock the faction in "startpos.txt" (same thing goes for Lombardy and Hungary). Open file, search "SetActiveFaction::" change "FT_MINOR" faction to "FT_MAJOR" faction...

Finally, due to outlined circumstances, I really think you should do a Redux Burgundy-minimod for all VI/v.2.01-users once the RXB1004 is out. For everybody that wants to play Burgundy just like you do. You unlock Burgundy and possibly write an intro-text for it or whatever else you like the faction to have. Crusade-capacity etc. etc. It fairly easy to do and it is above all a small and clearly limited project - and I think you should do it (I know you can). I'm serious here... If you do it, I'll set up permanent home and dedicated area for just this kind of stuff over at the Org (as I have more space and area there) and even throw in your previous random king/general portraits as well as a separate download/release in your name (once I cleaned out all redundant files in it, to cut size). Just to show the world that it is quite alright (and very possible) to do mini/sub-mods and other stuff for Redux - and you can be the first to lead the way by example...

That's what I think, what do you think? (Anything else folks, fire away)

- A

Excellent news, Axalon. As always, I'm anxiously waiting to download...

Now it looks like I'll have to scrap the 3 or 4 AARs I've been compiling from 1003, though. :

Map looks good, btw. I'll have more to say when I see it in action.

Hi and thanks Cyp... Yup, it sure looks that way... And finally... Please, do so...

BTW folks, RXB1004 will not be save-game compatible due to changes in the filestructures.
    Again, RXB1004 is not save-game compatible.

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; October 30, 2013 at 01:04 PM. Reason: update

Alright, all da links are up...

I have used Gamefront services for the rar-uploads - for now - all the same, I am not happy about that place since they
    have screwed things up plenty in the past and I can't even download my own damn files since I'm Swedish and that is a
    big no-no on Gamefront (don't ask me why)... We'll see what happens...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; November 01, 2013 at 01:21 AM. Reason: update

Hi Axalon, <br>
    I'm going to give this mod a try either and will reply in here after some time having played it. <br>
    Thanks in advance for all the time and efffort you've poured into this project. <br>
    It is appreciated <br>
    Cheers !
    Last edited by Celtoi; November 01, 2013 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Text format

Hello Celtoi and thanks for your post...

Umm, whenever ready, feel free to post, comment and discuss whatever “Reduxy” stuff
    you can think of here. It’s sort of the point of this thread. Hopefully you will have plenty
    of “action, kill and thrill” (as in fun) with Redux…

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; November 03, 2013 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Da English...

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    Hello Celtoi, thanks for your post...

Umm, whenever ready, feel free to post, comment and discuss whatever “Reduxy” stuff
    you can think of here. It’s sort of the point of this thread. Hopefully you will have plenty
    of “action, kill and thrill” (as in fun) with Redux…

- A
    For some reason, I can't launch MTW at all now - it simply won't start, not even registering the process on Task Manager. Is this a recognized problem?

Well, Axalon, I'm about 20 years into my campaign as Spain, playing the dominion(?) campaign setting, because I love the challenge of starting off with nothing. So far, rebel provinces are very hard to hold, which is what I expect from Redux.

Expect some screens and a little story in the near future, though I might just post it over at the Org, since it seems silly to keep splitting my comments between here and there...

Thanks again for the latest and greatest version of the mod.

Quote Originally Posted by generaldisaster View Post
    For some reason, I can't launch MTW at all now - it simply won't start, not even registering the process on Task Manager. Is this a recognized problem?
    What's your install method? If using VI, make sure you install both of the .rar downloads on top of each other (first the Medieval Total War - Redux folder, then the VI upgrade), overwriting everything. Should work fine.
    Last edited by Cyprian2; November 03, 2013 at 08:23 AM.

Hi guys... Thanks Cyp for trying to help out here... I guess, I'll start with you Mr.Disaster...

Quote Originally Posted by generaldisaster View Post
    Nope, I can’t say that it is…. Let’s sort this thing out…. In order to do that you will have to answer some questions and provide some general information here. So without further ado…

• What OS are you using?
    • What MTW-version are you running/using? VI/v.2.01 or v.1.1?
    • Can you run raw MTW at all? (After a fresh re-install?)
    • Where do you have MTW installed, especially the install you intend to be used for running Redux? The install path, what is it? Where exactly is it installed?
    • Do you have multiple copies of MTW installed?
    • What exactly have you downloaded for Redux?
    • What install-model have you chosen to install Redux? You know, as outlined in the “fools install guide”…? Red or Blue?
    • Any error messages?
    • Anything else I should know?

The more solid information you provide here the better I (and others) can
    help you solve this “problem” - and typically faster as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprian2 View Post
    Well, Axalon, I'm about 20 years into my campaign as Spain, playing the dominion(?) campaign setting, ...
    I take it you mean “supremacy-mode”… Enabled by the “RX-supremacy” campaign...?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyprian2 View Post
    Expect some screens and a little story in the near future, though I might just post it over at the Org, since it seems silly to keep splitting my comments between here and there...
    Your call… My suggestion is that you post the stuff at both TWC and Org for maximum exposure on it. That way it can be viewed and hopefully discussed by as many as possible. If you limit yourself by only posting it over at the Org - you limit that possibility and exposure. It’s essentially an opportunity that you are about to throw away - due to not wanting to be silly and post the same thing at two different boards. I say, just copy, paste and post it on both boards – that is what I would do. The more people that read it, the merrier... Obviously, It’s up to you what to do…

- A

Updating the thread for RXB1004.... Now, if you get one of these messages....

Means that you have not been reading the provided instructions and are trying to run Redux without
    the VI-upgrade on a VI/v.2.01-game. To fix it, download a copy of the RXB1004 VI-upgrade ("module
    B") ASAP and install it on top (as in last) - and you will be playing Redux in no time...

- A

Nizam's Avatar Ordinarius

I can't see Seljuks?

Ottoman Total Overhaul received the 2nd favorite Overhaul/Compilation Mod - 2016 award!
    by_TotalWarTurkiye

Hi Nizam,

I'm afraid you will have to learn to live without the Turks in Redux as they are not included in it. Much in the same way I'll have to accept that a Swedish faction is not part of Redux either. Or as I said elsewhere...

...they have been removed along with the Swiss, Sicilians, Novgorods, Golden Horde and Denmark. I did redesign the game all over and this is one of the results of all that.
    - A

GeorgiBG's Avatar Miles

I would like to say one big thanks for delivering this amazing update, Axalon! The reason why Im so silent is Linux but I believe that someday I will be able to play MTW or even STW on Wine without problems.

Decided to give MTW another try -- easily the best TW game. And your mod is great. Had a lot of fun with it.

I've installed this mod a couple of days ago, and I rather like it. Unit selection and usefulness is very nice, and the general tweaks give it a fresh breather.

Several things, though:

1. Religion has too little impact on the unrest of a province. It should be higher. An army from a faction with a different religion from the majoritarian/single one in a freshly conquered province should have considerable difficulty in pacifying the province. Also, religion tends to swing far too quickly. Conversion should be notably slower, and many religious buildings and preachers should be needed to accelerate it.

2. There needs to be a corruption/unrest/rebellion penalty modifier based on distance (from the king; IIRC, capital is possible only from R:TW onwards). It's seriously immersion-breaking to suddenly find the Byzantines pop up in Wales (it was so unnerving, I actually deleted all saves from that Britain game and started a new one, with the Russians). Sea lanes should double or triple the distance penalty. Generals posted in faraway provinces should preferentially gain disloyalty penalties.

Hello Axalon I just registered here to thank you for releasing and working on this mod. You have put hell of a effort on it, and its great. It just is.

One thing I like to mention after reading so many posts regarding XL and missing factions? I have like 20 copies of this game on my pc all with different mods installed. I used to play XL mod mostly out of all of them. XL is a great mod, like Redux, Redux is just different and tbh the campaign feature looks awesome and plays (for me) very refreshing. Cant imagine playing without Redux anymore.
    I do now understand that the fewer factions (in comparison to XL) actually make the game more challenging. The fewer factions however was also my main concern. So I added up some XL factions to your mod before I even started playing it. So I dont know if or not if it would be more challenging.
    I have 31 factions running on Redux now. I advice anyone whos missing factions to figure out their own way around in modding this game and add their own. There are so many good tutorials to be found. Like these and read this thread to the end, together this contains all you need to know. You can for example just change the translation files quite easy to make any existing faction to be the one of your own choice. If necessary you can just take the files (or names/text) you need out of other mods (for personal use of course).

I have tried this mod on Windows 8 and get further than I do in vanilla MTW v1.1 insofar as I can get to the main menu without crashes but when I start a campaign game I get about halfway through loading and then the game crashes. Looking at the error log I get the following message:
    Code:
    Errors for session started: Thu Nov 21 13:06:03 2013

C:\Med_Patch\Crusaders_TW\frontend_base.cpp(959) : DirectX call : DDERR_SURFACELOST
    C:\Med_Patch\Crusaders_TW\frontend_base.cpp(959) : DirectX call : DDERR_SURFACELOST
    As said before I am using Windows 8 but am running the game in Windows XP (Service Pack 3) compatability mode (though the same thing occurs in regular windows 8) have the button-fix and cannot get to the main menu in the raw game. I have the game installed under C:\Program Files (x86)\Total War\Medieval Total war and used the red install path.