Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 823242526272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Medieval Total War - Redux (Beta)

Default Re: Medieval Total War - Redux (Beta)

Hello, folks! I have often disliked vanilla MTW because of how underpowered cavalry is. I have thought about how to make it more powerful yet balanced and affordable. Redux seems to have solved this issue for me. I have been working on a mod using Redux units' stats and with some modifications to cost and such, the cavalry is proving to be quite fearsome. I have finally been able to replicate the Feudal Knights' devastating charge and attack in Medieval II TW by slightly modifying the Redux formula. I'm having so much fun thanks to you, Axalon! I look forward to playing your next version of Redux, if there is going to be another version, that's.

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Heya Leith and thanks posting,

I have not worked on (or played some) Redux for a few months now... I have however played some Warhammer1 TW (as Bretonians) and some 3KTW (as some yellow turban rebel). And, there are lots of stuff in both these newer games that I don't like. Things that annoy me and that makes me appreciate 'ol MTW and Redux all over again - as MTW are nowhere as annoying. If nothing else, the overall game-experience in MTW is so much more seamless, effortless and fluid. It easy to play by comparison and it does not get bogged down as easily as them newer games - and the battles are still better and way more advanced too.

Anyhow, I certainly have had plans for Redux this year, but it has been a while since I worked with it, so I can't say much at this point about the future. I have previously made some new changes on unit-GFX and other smaller stuff - but much of it is unfinished at this point. I also have some new design-ideas that I want try and check out. In short, the chances for another Redux-release are good but unclear as to when it will happen. Hopefully this year, otherwise the next year. What I do know is that RXB1007 have had 3 patches so far, so it is unlikely that I will do a patch 4. I would rather make a full new release, with all patches included already. The RXB1009 or something like that...

Any other questions or comments, fire away folks...

- A

Spoiler for Bonus Content

Axalon on 3KTW...
    ------------------------------------------
    On general terms, I think it is an overly designed game-experience, with way too little player freedom. Its noticeable limitations, the overall restrictedness of it can be clearly felt as one try to play the game - and that is never a good trait. 3K also annoys the hell out of me in the sense that I have to use the lousy generals I am handed by the game - instead of making them myself from scratch (as I fight battles) as you can and do in MTW. And of course the incessant nagging of "the needs of China" and "the deeper understanding of things" in every damned loadscreen drives me nuts too! Its alright the first 10 minutes, after that it gets annoying as hell, fast! There are some good ideas here in the game and there, the sound-design is good but it is not enough to save the game. I eventually gave it up, after several attempts of trying to like this game, but I eventually came to the conclusion that this junk is not worth my time at the end of the day. So in general, I would give this game a thumbs down. You have to be a china-nut to enjoy that thing, me thinks...

Axalon on TW Warhammer 1...
    ------------------------------------------
    I generally like the Warhammer-setting but this game is overly-designed, the experience certainly feels needlessly/overly restricted (and that is usually very bad in games) - and the battles are not as good or as interesting (or as advanced) as they are in MTW (even more so with Redux installed) on general terms. MTW1 still does battles better, even after all these years. Still, I do like the Warhammer-experience enough to enjoy it overall anyhow. It got some good visual designs abd some fine music too. Warhammer is essentially out of the same branch that was established with the Empire-game. Its weird but is seems that TW actually evolved and changed more during the first 5-6 years then it did in last decade?!? That can't be a good circumstance me thinks. It will still get a thumbs up from me, but with reservations. If you do like the Warhammer setting - this game is totally for you!

*Back to main post*
    Last edited by Axalon; September 25, 2019 at 03:12 PM.

Is it possible to just bring back vanilla sounds and music?

300.000+ views!

That is a damn impressive a milestone folks! We are now travelling in undiscovered territory here. No MTW-related thread have ever before reached such height's and numbers, before this one. This is (currently) the most viewed MTW-thread in TWC history! That certainly is something of note - obviously I am very happy that it ended up being this 'ol RX-thread right here. To all people who read, posted and contributed here and made it all happen, thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by The Despondent Mind View Post
    Is it possible to just bring back vanilla sounds and music?
    Yes... You install another new copy of MTW (somewhere else), open up this new game-directory of that new install - copy the sound-folder. Open up the current Redux-directory and paste that sound-folder into that directory. Let it replace all things, and once it is done you should have all the old sounds...

Anyhow, is there anything else folks?

- A

Hello, Axalon! I have been meaning to ask you about how armour is implemented in your mod. I noticed that some of your most powerful units have a max armour of 6. Does that mean armour is not that significant in comparison with defense? I had a little test in your mod; I gave your Feudal Knights an armour of 8 instead of 6 but didn't see much of difference on the battlefield. In contrast, I saw a real performance improvement when I upped their defense to 8. I'm beginning to think that armour is the least useful of all the units' stats. Am I wrong?

Well Leith (and thanks for posting btw),

I can't really tell if it is the "least useful" unit-stat or not. I can't even tell how exactly that factor works within the MTW-mechanics. My impression is that the armor-stat works as some kind of protection against actual hits, while the defence-stat is the ability to deflect those attacks before they become actual "hits". The melee-stat seems to measure how likely it is the unit can deliver a successful attack, and possibly also how powerful that attack might be. However, I don't know for sure if it really is like that or not - it just seems like it. Furthermore, it also seems to be extra useful to have lots of armor in regards to ordinary arrows, while it matters less to armor-piercing crossbow-fire. As for the Redux armor-model, I think it is ranging from 1-9, just like raw MTW does... Also - if memory serves - the game can't handle a value of 0 (or less), it crashes or freezes - I don't remember which (it was some 10 years ago I tinkered with that).

Any further questions or comments on Redux - fire away folks....

- A

Thank you! Based on your feedback, I surmise defence is more important than armour since it forbids the enemy from hitting your units in the first place.

I hate to be pushy but is there any news about the next Redux version? I learn many things after each patch. That is why I am asking, because I look forward to learning more. Cheers!

Well Leith...

Its hard to say at this point, the most optimistic prognosis I can offer here is sometime in December. If not that, then Redux is likely to see another release sometime in 2020. The latter scenario seems more probable to me - as I have not touched Redux for several months. I have been doing other things and playing other games... I will get back to Redux at one time or another, eventually (I always have, this far)...

- A

Hi
    I happened to come across redux tonight, after I got a sudden urge to play MTW again. (on win7)
    I think I've done what is specified in Redux_Readme1007.txt, but when I go to start a campaign there are no options to choose (where I assume there should be early, high, late, rx-classic, rx-heartland, rx-supremacy).
    Any ideas as to what I've done wrong?

-T

Hi Tfi,

By the sound of it - its an install-problem. You have probably placed the RX-files (some or maybe all) somewhere else unintentionally.
    Here is what I suggest you do - and in this given order... (Assuming you are using a steam V.2.01 PE game)...

1). Make a fresh install MTW again...

3). Make a copy of that install and place that copy wherever you want it. Make dead certain you know exactly where that copied install-folder is - as in, where the actual game-folder is located (the one with the "Medieval_TW.EXE" in it).

3). Use that install-copy to apply Redux on. This by opening the (uncompressed) "Redux Total War"-folder and copy its entire content - THEN you go back to that install-copy you just made - open it up, so you can see the the "Medieval_TW.EXE". THEN you paste all REDUX-files in that folder, and let them replace EVERYTHING.

4). You apply the Redux VI-upgrade. Using the exact same method/procedure in the exact same game-folder, and let it replace everything once again.

5). If you have done all these steps correctly, you can start playing Redux, and it will now work... Hopefully that means "Welcome to Redux-land, and enjoy the ride!" from this point onwards for you.

BTW folks, feel free to post up some nice screenshot (or two, or create/share a youtube clip of you playing Redux somehow) or something. This place could use some that - and there have been way too little of all such stuff in this thread anyhow, I think. Besides, it would make She-Hulk happy too...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; February 09, 2020 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Da green girl wanted it...

Damn I am having so much fun playing this. Playing as England. Was taking too long to conquer Ireland, so the Saracens did, but were eventually driven out by rebels lol. Right as I tried to take flanders, the French owned me back to my little island where I am now rebuilding a better army. Man this is fun!

I think no modern total war game (except maybe Rome with Darth Mod) can measure up to this. It's like playing with little toy soldiers when you were a kid, way more fun than all these stupid new total war games with their fancy graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    Hello everyone,

As fate would have it, I am about to embark on my next great adventure in life, namely... A six months journey of the USA for empirical field studies in babeology - this in order to gather source-material for my future PHD-thesis "Hypercapitalism, Marxist theory & American stripper-bars - an intertextual study of the American zeitgeist."

Sadly, this also means that I can no longer maintain, support or work further with the MTW-Redux project. I am afraid that this will be - by necessity - indefinitely, and I would therefore like to take this chance to thank everyone who supported Redux over the years. The Redux-project will be officially discontinued as of the 10th of May. Thus, I urge everyone to take this time to secure yourself a copy of Redux while you still can (before the 10th)...

- A
    Ouch! this is (was) a good one, Axalon. I was typing goodbye until I scrolled down and read the next several posts

Long time no see, I hope you are doing well during the pandemic.

With plenty of free time, I found myself absorbed in this elegant and calm gameplay of MTW again. For people like me who can't stand the mundane army micro-management since Rome:TW and later in the franchise, Redux MTW gives me back the joy of playing a total war game in its true sense. Thank you Axalon, for all the time and efforts you had put into Redux and keeping it alive for the past 10 years.

Update: (Classic Mode, Veteran Difficulties, Aragonese Faction) AI-Rebel in provinces having literally no buildings can still spawn heavy units to counter the player's garrison army.
    Invade any blank province (no building), with (1 Cavalry, 3 Infantry, 2 archers), set taxation to Very High to create 100% civil unrest in the nobles and population.
    In the coming year, it is almost guaranteed that Al-Rebel will have (1 Spearman, 3 Crossbowman, 2 Mounted Cavalry) or more,
    This applies to any (invading) faction, in any province, at any time of the campain.

Kalam8

Will there be any updates to this anymore?

Was curious why remove the region unit bonuses. Those were pretty fun. Like Wales for Longbowmen getting 1 valour bonus if trained in that region.

Hello everyone and thanks for posting here guys... I'll start with Alex's posts.

Quote Originally Posted by alexthefalix View Post
    Damn I am having so much fun playing this. Playing as England. Was taking too long to conquer Ireland, so the Saracens did, but were eventually driven out by rebels lol. Right as I tried to take flanders, the French owned me back to my little island where I am now rebuilding a better army. Man this is fun!

I think no modern total war game (except maybe Rome with Darth Mod) can measure up to this. It's like playing with little toy soldiers when you were a kid, way more fun than all these stupid new total war games with their fancy graphics.
    Its post like this one that never fails to put me in a better mood. It just makes it a little easier to think that it is indeed worthwhile to go public with the work that I do for MTW. In short, its posts like this one that is the universal fuel that every modder out there (ultimately) needs to keep going - knowing that their efforts and works are appreciated somehow (by someone). I certainly appreciate that you took the time to let me know that you have had much joy with the Redux experience.

Will there be any updates to this anymore?
    As I said in post:648, I think that is likely... This year, probably... I can't tell when though.

Was curious why remove the region unit bonuses. Those were pretty fun. Like Wales for Longbowmen getting 1 valour bonus if trained in that region.
    Well, it seems to have screwed up the AI-performance and thus I decided to remove that feature. As it stands most units in redux are region-bound somehow. Outside those regions, they are not available. If you want to increase valour - build some training-grounds, jousting-fields or Archery-ranges. You can boost unit-valor that way instead...

----------

Quote Originally Posted by kalam8 View Post
    Ouch! this is (was) a good one, Axalon. I was typing goodbye until I scrolled down and read the next several posts
    Well, I try to sneak in some jokes in this thread - here and there - once I get a decent enough chance at it. April fools is certainly one of those times I think. Besides, anything that involves strippers has too be good somehow...

With plenty of free time, I found myself absorbed in this elegant and calm gameplay of MTW again. For people like me who can't stand the mundane army micro-management since Rome:TW and later in the franchise, Redux MTW gives me back the joy of playing a total war game in its true sense. Thank you Axalon, for all the time and efforts you had put into Redux and keeping it alive for the past 10 years.
    As I was saying previously (to Alex above), letting me know that you guys have much joy with Redux do mean a lot to me. It makes it a bit easier to bother go public with the stuff that I do for MTW. I have a bunch of various mods for other different games that has never gone public for various reasons. I simply did not bother with it...

Update: (Classic Mode, Veteran Difficulties, Aragonese Faction) AI-Rebel in provinces having literally no buildings can still spawn heavy units to counter the player's garrison army.
    Invade any blank province (no building), with (1 Cavalry, 3 Infantry, 2 archers), set taxation to Very High to create 100% civil unrest in the nobles and population.
    In the coming year, it is almost guaranteed that Al-Rebel will have (1 Spearman, 3 Crossbowman, 2 Mounted Cavalry) or more,
    This applies to any (invading) faction, in any province, at any time of the campain.
    Well, it is assumed by me, that all local noble families have some sort of regular fighting men in their service - regular infantry, crossbowmen/archers and cavalry of sorts - even if the province in question is totally barren. I have designed it that way, because it makes more sense to me then the other way around. That said, if the infrastructure and development in a province is present, it will influence what can and will get spawned in terms of nobility-rebellions. That's the way it is in Redux anyways...

Anything else, fire away folks...

- A

I just come to visit and say hello.
    Good thing that Redux is still alive.
    Cheers Ascalon
    "Its a GUNDAM!"
    "Nope. This is Polish Winged Cavalry."

johnswan's Avatar Tiro

Custom art for Steam (added as new game)
    Last edited by johnswan; May 04, 2020 at 05:36 PM. Reason: removed picture

Laetus

I seem to have problems running it.

column_building_faction_advantage

Unknown faction label used to indicate building andvantage: column 13, row 23

PAPIST

I am getting this message while i have copied all files from Vi upgrade...

I ude W10 and steam

I go to steamapps

I change the name of the folder by pasting the name given

I paste all files from Redux - Total War first, then Redix - Binus Material and last Redux VI upgrade, all in the same folder i renamed. I try to run the MTV.exe i find in there (the only exe) and i get this message

HELP please

Hello folks, looks like I am back posting here again...

Quote Originally Posted by lilipouas View Post
    ...HELP please
    By the sound of it - its an install-problem. You have probably placed the RX-files (some or maybe all) somewhere else unintentionally.
    Here is what I suggest you do - and in this given order... (Assuming you are using a steam V.2.01 PE game)...

1). Make a fresh install MTW again...

3). Make a copy of that install and place that copy wherever you want it. Make dead certain you know exactly where that copied install-folder is - as in, where the actual game-folder is located (the one with the "Medieval_TW.EXE" in it).

3). Use that install-copy to apply Redux on. This by opening the (uncompressed) "Redux Total War"-folder and copy its entire content - THEN you go back to that install-copy you just made - open it up, so you can see the the "Medieval_TW.EXE". THEN you paste all REDUX-files in that folder, and let them replace EVERYTHING.

4). You apply the Redux VI-upgrade. Using the exact same method/procedure in the exact same game-folder, and let it replace everything once again.

5). If you have done all these steps correctly, you can start playing Redux, and it will now work... Hopefully that means "Welcome to Redux-land, and enjoy the ride!" from this point onwards for you.
    Obviously, you will have to use that new EXE as you start the game...

===============

Quote Originally Posted by Sarissofoi View Post
    I just come to visit and say hello.
    Good thing that Redux is still alive.
    Cheers Ascalon
    I appreciate you dropping by (and leaving a note) here. Thanks man...

===============

Quote Originally Posted by johnswan View Post
    Custom art for Steam (added as new game)
    Link? ...?...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; August 26, 2020 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Clarity...

Laetus

Hello folks, looks like I am back posting here again...

Obviously, you will have to use that new EXE as you start the game...

===============

- A

So I will not copy the bonus material file? That is my mistake?

Laetus

I did found out my mistake, and I put it here to help others... The folder Redux VI - upgrade has two folders inside, one is named Redux total war and the other redux VI bonus materials... They have to open and copy - paste thier files to the install - copy folder, not just copied as folders...

Thank U very much for your assistance...