Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval Total War - Redux (Beta)

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Default Re: Medieval Total War - Redux (Beta)

Hi all, thanks for posting and I’ll start with Valentino123....

Well, I don’t know for sure but the VI-stuff will probably be out soon, I am working on it, no worries… It is a matter of hammering out the files now…

------------

Beorn...

Thanks and by all means please do, Redux could use more players. Despite all the success with 2nd Ed – I still think too few players have tried it out for various reasons. My guess is that there would be more players if the just bothered to actually try it. It is different then MTW and it will take a while before getting fully accustomed to that but it might very well be worth it – especially for people who like tougher games and battles (and especially so in 3rd Ed). As I said so many times….

“Try it out, I would be surprised if you were sorry for playing it…”

------------

Lord of the Pies...

Is it the italians still? Anyway, MTW is hardcoded to double the recruitment time for most units on higher size settings. So, unless you mod stuff there is no way to change or work around that. However…

If you prepared to extensively mod the “crusaders_unit_prod11.txt”-file, it is still technically possible to work around all that. You simply double up all unit-sizes and cost-entries in that file and you got it. You will need a Gnome-editor to make all the changes. Note that once you done this you can only play at default size settings or lower or the game will freak out – while you use the changed file. Link to Gnome Editor V.2…

http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/685...editorv2-0-zip

As a bonus here – back in 2008, I wrote an “article” on unit-size settings and their impact on Redux/MTW and you can read it in post: 49 - should you be interested in that. Basically, the higher unit size-settings you use the easier battles and thus ultimately the game will become. Not trying to rob you of your preference or anything but that is/was the conclusion I made in that article. I have at times seen people make the opposite claim – as in the game would somehow get more difficult by huge/max unit size settings. All the same, I have yet to see anything that actually provides credible basis and proper support for such ideas, while I have seen plenty that suggests otherwise in both Redux and MTW. Both games are designed for default size-settings for optimal game-experience in battle. Still, that does not exclude that some people might still prefer and enjoy other and higher size-settings.

------------

Bas...

Strange… Very strange…

It usually is the other way around, other stuff don’t work while Redux works just fine…. Anyhow, I don’t have any Vista so you clearly got me at a disadvantage here. All the same, I would suggest the following…

• Make sure that you can run MTW V.1.1 at all first (all other stuff is made for VI)… If you can, then you also will be able to run (current) version of Redux as well (sooner or later). I have yet to encounter an example were this was supposedly not possible.
    • Do/use a clean install and then apply Redux.
    • Change resolution to something standard, like 1024x768 or 1280x960 and see if that works – then try other settings that you might prefer.

If none of this works (and you have indeed installed things properly), I guess you will have little choice but to wait for the VI-upgrade in order to play Redux. All I can say is that the whole thing strikes me as strange and that you really should play the BETA whenever you can.

Again, I would be surprised if you were sorry for playing it.

- Cheers

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    Bas...

Strange… Very strange…

It usually is the other way around, other stuff don’t work while Redux works just fine…. Anyhow, I don’t have any Vista so you clearly got me at a disadvantage here. All the same, I would suggest the following…

• Make sure that you can run MTW V.1.1 at all first (all other stuff is made for VI)… If you can, then you also will be able to run (current) version of Redux as well (sooner or later). I have yet to encounter an example were this was supposedly not possible.
    • Do/use a clean install and then apply Redux.
    • Change resolution to something standard, like 1024x768 or 1280x960 and see if that works – then try other settings that you might prefer.

If none of this works (and you have indeed installed things properly), I guess you will have little choice but to wait for the VI-upgrade in order to play Redux. All I can say is that the whole thing strikes me as strange and that you really should play the BETA whenever you can.

Again, I would be surprised if you were sorry for playing it.

- Cheers
    Fresh install of MTW v1.1, it works now, been playing for the past 3 days. I do have occasional crashes to desktop but I guess it's more because it's MTW v1.1 rather than your own modification.

I had to change the video setting, so the campaign map goes to 1024x768 and the battle map goes to 800x600 or else it would crash on me when loading the campaign.

You are right, mods and other heavy edits ensure that there are no significant problems but it's more of a video card/64-bit Vista (huge pain in the backside) rather than a game issue.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Hello Bas,

Excellent that things worked out for you (sort of anyhow) but a shame on the resolution thou, I guess 1024x768 is ok enough to play game (I assume you have such problems with all MTW-stuff, or?). I guess that it is Vista-drivers that are the culprit for it all. Possibly check hardware-section in ReadMe and try set your ram to 2048 Mb – see if that might help some. Regardless, I suppose it is really confirmed then, the 3rd edition BETA does (somehow) work on Vista….

Which faction(s) have you been playing?
    Last edited by Axalon; April 08, 2011 at 03:44 PM. Reason: She-Hulk...

Basileos Leandros I's Avatar Writing is an art
    High up in the mountains, in my own fortress

Axalon,

Uuuuu shinyyyyy

Back to topic. I started as ze old English. Once I advance enough I'll try and make a small AAR about it. (I hope it wont crash on me)

I have problems with all MTW versions when it comes to the graphics, but my modded MTW I have to run it 1024x768 as well but XL Mod I run it 1152x864. It's not really about the Vista drivers because I have nVidia 7900GS, which is right under the 8 series major problem, it's because I have 64-bit which is highly unstable on old games.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. Forever remembered.

Total War Org - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming over France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A finished novel, published on TWC.

Visit ROMANIA! A land of beauty and culture!

Howdy Bas

Ok, the English boys. Well, an English AAR sounds like a fun idea, to this day such stuff is still pretty rare for Redux - don’t have a clue as for why actually - so it should be very interesting for that reason alone. I guess it is a rather different experience then what you are used to in MTW, XL and so forth (possibly even RX 2nd ED)? Anyhow, go for it – I’ll happily read the AAR and I think others will too. In any case, I would be happy to get some general and plain Intel from your end, if you can provide me with some, as you play and experience things with the English.

Regarding res, if you can run anything based on MTW in 1152x864, it surprises me that you can’t do it in Redux (or is it a low-res map)? My experience is actually that Redux should be more agreeable to most hardware then XL (despite fine craftsmanship). Anyhow you should update to RXB1001 and you might get slightly more stability. It should be fully save-game-compatible too. Or go straight for the VI-version if you prefer that instead, as it is more stable by default. Your call…

- Cheers

Alright, the links are active...

Awesome job on the Beta, it runs really well!

Glad to see that, unlike many other older mods, this one is still evolving!

The Bold Burgundian's Avatar Ducenarius

Thanks for the update Axalon about the unit sizes, and I must say the Saracen campaign is very challenging, keep up the good work!

Edit: Hold on, is it possible to force a higher resolution in medieval 1?
    Last edited by The Bold Burgundian; April 17, 2011 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Resolution
    T.W.C.
    Total War Cynics

Hi and many thanks guys, I do what I can…

• The resolution is maxed at 1600x1200, I don’t think it is possible to go beyond that – I have at least never heard of it. If you got problems check out ReadMe or post your stuff over at the “Eras-tech-help”-section… Located in the RTW-section(!) – don’t ask me why…

----------------------------------

Anyhow, I have created some new demo-pics for Redux as it needed new ones. They won’t do much good to people who already play it - but hopefully they will assist to convince other “less receptive and open minded” people that Redux is well worth trying out. All I can say is that I certainly think so and it appears that I am not completely alone in that notion (thankfully enough). I do think that much more people should try it out however and hopefully these pics will support the process. If you guys like ‘em – rep me to the Stone Age or something….

Demo01

Demo02

Demo03

Demo04

- Cheers
    Last edited by Axalon; April 26, 2011 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Reduxed!

Valus's Avatar Natura, artis magistra

Looking forward to testing your mod, I will reinstall MTW now with the summer break and all and will soon report back on what I thought of it. I must admit that though I have played MTW for years it has most often been vanilla so it will be exciting to try something else!
    Under the patronage of Søren
    The proud liege of Mimirswell, Proximus, Rhah, Phaedo and EmperorJulian

Former Moderator and Senatorii
    Member of the House of Caesars

Hello Valus,

Well, hopefully you will like it and have much fun with it as well. It certainly is different from MTW, so having not played MTW for long can possibly work as an advantage in the transition from MTW to Redux.

To be honest here, I personally am not that interested in various reviews of Redux, but I am interested in your (and others) experiences with it. Things like, what faction are you playing, what happens in your campaign what is your strategy – does it work? What is the AI up to as you play your faction? How are things faring in battle with that faction X? All such stuff is usually interesting for me and possibly others as well (as a possible reference on this faction X). If you could post up observations and comments on such stuff, it would be grand.

Anyway, feel free to post up any other stuff related to redux, if you like.

- Enjoy

=============================

Some news:

RXB1002 is coming...
    ------------------------------

It looks like I will soon release the next beta for Redux – version 1002. It contains a bunch of things like various small GFX-improvements, a new calibration of building-AI schematics, a few adjustments of troop AI, cost-adjustments, new campaign-set up and various other minor stuff to improve the overall game experience etc. etc. Also, due to various changes I made to bypass some hardcoded MTW-engine weirdness, the RXB1002 will NOT be save-game compatible. Hopefully it will be out very soon, possibly even within a week.

2nd ED hits 3000...
    ------------------------------

Ironically, the 2nd edition has hit the 3000 downloads-marker this month despite that the first 3rd edition betas hit the world in March/April this year. I am guessing that it is due to people that do not frequent the Org or TWC Redux-threads very often. My guess is that it is the old official CA-forum and the RX-thread there that is the main culprit for this continued usage of 2nd Edition. I also know that this older version is still distributed here and there over the net – sites from China, Israel, USA and Poland etc. etc.

Alright, that is all I got for now….

- Cheers

Alright, the links for RXB1002 are up…

- A

Hi I like the mod but I have a problem. I have the spanish edition of MTW and I see errors of XXX can't be translated. Do you know if I can change the language of the game to English and then play seeing the text? Thanks

Hi Odysseus,

My guess is that we can probably solve the problem. Playing 1 game on 2 different languages is bound to be trouble somehow - as you probably already knew. I tell you what, post up your email here (or via PM, if you prefer that instead) and I could send you the English txt-files you need to play Redux without fuss. Once you have those installed at the right place, the problem will be gone – or so I suspect.

The problem is unlikely to be the EXE, the problem is rather within the “loc”-folder instead. As it is, I am guessing you only got a “Spa”-folder in there – and you need an “Eng”-folder (with all English files) to pull this off (possibly you need to delete the “Spa” as well to get things going). I can simply make a copy off one of my RX-installations, zip it and send it to you privatly (and thus I don’t break any forum-rules here)...

However, you must specify on what version you are running Redux upon: V.1.1 or VI/V.2.01 (gold-edition etc. etc.)? As I need that info to send you the correct files....

- Cheers

I have sent you a PM Thanks!

I have fixed it copying the Eng folder in the Loc folder. I have pasted all files in Spa folder (and replaced). It works fine

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

I must admit that this looks very interesting.
    One question though.
    I had serius problem playing MTW with the new grafics card one year earlier (GTS 250). Now i have the newst drivers (270). Will be my pc able to play the game and the mod?
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

AnthoniusII….

Well, I guess you will have to try and find out first hand as I don’t know anything about it. I have not used Nvidia cards for several years. I am an ATI-man (AMD) myself. Among newer hardware - HD 5800 cards functions with Redux on XP-drives but have long loading time issues after a while.

-------------------------
    Odysseus….

Excellent. I suspected as much. Anyhow, enjoy da game.

- Cheers