Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: Medieval Total War - Redux (Beta)

Default Re: Medieval Total War - Redux 1.0b

Hello
    I've got problem running MTW with this mod. I have installed MTV and VI version 2.01. It works.
    But when I copy Redux - Total War folder content into MTW root directory I can't run the game. First thing to show up is an error every time.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I've got direct 9.0c installed I don't think that is a problem.
    Please help. I installed MTW only because of this mod :-)

Thanks

The 3rd edition looks wonderful! When we can play it?

hi im new to mtw (not to tw) , and am experiencing difficulties with installing the mod . Im able to install everything properly but when i start the game i get this :" Unknown faction specified: column20, row 8
    NOVGOROD"
    i saw in the previous posts ,that you considered the advice to implement novgorod in the third edition is a dead end , so how come i get this remark?

Otherwise good job with the mod +rep

come you guys ,any help ? pls

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Hello everybody, ok Necross and Burny26, your install-problems then….

Fast answers:
    ================
    For the moment you need to download and install the VI-upgrade 1.0 module - after you install the standard redux package. And, once you done that also download and install Spanish Fix B on top of it all. Then you have the currently most updated version available (and a better game as a result). Then post here again, verifying that everything is working for you...

Slow answers:
    ================
    The problem seems to be that you guys have not downloaded and installed the VI-upgrade properly after you installed the standard redux-package which is needed in order for redux to run upon MTW-VI. What you are currently trying is to do is to run V.1.1-material upon a VI/V.2.01-exe. It will never work of course and the first thing that comes up on the programs “protest-list” is that Novgorod-message.

It has happened a few times before so you are hardly the only one who has managed to end up there. Follow the already included instructions closely and check out various readme’s, that usually does magic you know. For further pointers and answers, have a look HERE. You should be able to find all the answers and pointers you might need right there. Check out post:14-15 in that thread, that will probably solve all your problems just fine. Any further install-related questions, you and everybody else are welcome to post ‘em right there if you like. Anyhow, once the game starts running, you should also download & install Spanish Fix B (which is the right version for VI/V.2.01) and get current optimal game as a result. Do that after the VI-upgrade module is installed. Finally, it would be good if you guys could post back here – so we all know for sure that the problem is dust. Happy fighting guys...

Hello & thanks BlackJack... Well, for the time being I don’t know. When I do release it, I will make some noise about it in this very thread probably. Hopefully I will post up some other and additional screens on the stuff I’m working on at a later date or something. It has been a while since I was active around here anyhow. In the mean time, feel free to keep this redux-thread active.

- Cheers

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Those of you who have citizenship but rarely visit the Curia please see this thread.

Thank you.

thx mate works like a charm ,just had a battle ...awesome

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Holy .... seeing this mod makes me want to reinstall Medieval again. Great job.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Hesus de bodemloze View Post
    Holy .... seeing this mod makes me want to reinstall Medieval again. Great job.
    Me too. i`ve been going through the early TWs and now am back on MTW original. However, I am still a tad confused. What EXACTLY does this mod do? Am I right to understand that it just changes the AESTHETIC appearance of things in the game?

Also, are there any Mods that increase unit numbers to be more realistic. I think my PC could handle 20000 men now.

Hello everyone, now…

Halie Satanus and Opifex! Well, what can I say? Your interest and recognition of my work with redux is much appreciated, as well as you giving work with ‘ol MTW a break among the other and younger TW-games. I evidently got the Opifex-award because of your interest here (thanks to all TWC-people who rallied up behind HS banner)… I don’t know how to properly thank you for it, but rest assured - I do appreciate it and you do have my thanks for it. It is not every day things like that happens or that people manage muster up such great attitude, and perhaps it is that which makes it so great? Again, thanks.

Burny26! Excellent news man, do enjoy…

Hesus! By all means try current version of redux, I see no reason why it could not be an entertaining experience for you as well, if you liked the original game. The current version resembles much of the GFX in the original game but offers a more challenging overall game and more diverse experience. I don’t know what else to say to you here other than I appreciate the thumbs up and that you are welcome to post further in this thread, if you like. Do try 3rd edition when I finally release it….

Humble Warrior! In a general response to your questions raised here it is a: "No" all over… Hehe. Anyhow, I simply refuse to list every change that comes with the currently available version of redux (download it, install and find out – that is the fastest and easiest solution for everybody. If you got any questions after that, feel free to post ‘em right here). It is simply too much for me to bother with listing all stuff and changes here - no offence intended. Besides, post:1 in this thread should make it rather clear that redux is far more than simply some new cosmetics applied on top of the original game. I’ll give you some highlights at the top of my head on the available version as I write this:

• The overall game-design radically altered. Creating a very different game.
    • New and recalibrated strategic AI
    • New combat-model. More diverse and unforgiving.
    • New and harsher economic model
    • New and more diverse unit-design.
    • New unit roster, roughly 200 in total. The regular CA-roster is scuttled.
    • New Tech-trees and buildings (more diverse).
    • New Audio, GFX, etc. etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    Also, are there any Mods that increase unit numbers to be more realistic. I think my PC could handle 20000 men now.
    That question strikes me as barely on topic here, but I will answer it as token of good will; No, there are no mods that will make any of that happen – it is hard coded stuff in MTW. Thus it won’t happen – never ever – is my guess. All you can do is to set size to maximum (the max limit is 200 men per unit (100 as base value), everything else above will be unstable at best), that’s it. Redux is no exception to that rule.

Anything else here, fire away people…

- Cheers
    Last edited by Axalon; February 07, 2010 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Correction...

Humble Warrior's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

I`ve been trying this- or at least attempting to. i`m sure I had your Mod installed right, but every time it crashes just after the copyright screen. I tried again and the same. i wonder if it`s win 7 causing it? XML keeps crashing after every battle too. Or is it the fact I have the original versions of MTW and Vi patched to 2.01?

I will do a new install and try again.

Hello Humble,

That’s strange… Can you run original MTW at all? If you can, you can be dead certain that you can run redux as well. It does not matter what kind of version you got as long as it is patched up to either V.1.1 or VI/V.2.01 (the latter is relevant for you I take it).

Now assuming here that you can run original MTW, this is what you should do…

1. Install a clean copy of MTW somewhere.
    2. Patch it up to VI/V.2.01
    3. Download & successfully install the MTW-Redux 1.0b standard package on top.
    4. Download & successfully install the Redux VI-upgrade 1.0 module on top.
    5. Run the game, using the .EXE in relevant game folder…
    6. If that happens successfully, then download & install Spanish Fix (B) for VI/V.2.01 in the same fashion.
    7. Play the game…

If you really can run MTW at all, it is 99% likely that you are somehow doing something wrong somewhere as you install redux. The redux-files work; there is no doubt about it. That has been tried and tested on a global scale for well over a year now. Supposedly, people are having few problems with running MTW on W7 as well…

If you are still having problems after step 1-7, while you are otherwise able to run the original game – read and follow all included instructions closely (look at the fools install-guide). If that still does not solve your problems, what kind of install model do you use? Red or Blue? Then post up the exact install path you are using or at least want to use. Sometimes people are placing the stuff in the wrong folder and there is ways to find that out – so I’ll need the intended install-path. And the kind of install-model you are using, or at least want to use, and potential crash/error-messages, if any. Without that, I can not help you any further here.

Oh yes, if things do work out for you, please post up a note
    here - so we all know that this is the case.

- Cheers

Small question : Is it normal that when i start a campaign game for the first time ,there are only bout 9 factions playable? Do i have to unlock them by kicking their arse or have i done something wrong with the installations ? (In custom battle i can already choose all the factions .)
    Son of the now supersilly walking MasterBigAb/戦国無双

hello, i also have a technical issue running your mod.

I installed medieval 1.1 then 1.0b on top of it. Going ingame, after choosing single player campaign, i see no factions and no nations on the map at all and am unable to continue, i can only press the back button.

so i'm unable to play but I'm looking forward to trying out your mod.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RZZZA View Post
    hello, i also have a technical issue running your mod.

I installed medieval 1.1 then 1.0b on top of it. Going ingame, after choosing single player campaign, i see no factions and no nations on the map at all and am unable to continue, i can only press the back button.

so i'm unable to play but I'm looking forward to trying out your mod.

thanks
    Maybe try and install the spanish fix A on it .Although im pretty sure that it wont help a lot ,bcause normally you should already have the factions. So id say start all over again .
    MTW - patch 1.1 -Redux 1.0b -Spanish fix A

that problem has gone but now i have a new one, i cant enter the battlemap.

the map flickers and the mouse arrow cursor leaves trails and all i can do is alt tab and and ctrl alt delete the program

Hi guys and fellow “reduxians” out there,

I’ll start with you RZZZA; I’m afraid I’ll have to disappoint you here. What you are describing in your last post hardly strike me as a redux-matter (it has never ever caused any such problems before so it certainly would be the first time. Besides I can’t replicate any of it either, thus it is rather certain that this is not a redux-matter somehow). It probably is a hardware/driver-issue with your GFX-card. Thus the place to go from here is the ERAS tech help-section from this point on… Sorry, I can only do so much you know…

If I were you, I would first make sure that I could run plain MTW at all first. Thus install plain MTW and find out for sure. If you can, then we can discuss how redux is causing problems for you.

My general advice to you is:
    • Verify that you can indeed run MTW with no isseus, then return here and we will get you playing redux in no time.
    • If you are unable to run MTW, your chances of successfully running redux are small.
    • If your primary PC don’t work with MTW. Maybe you have laptop or an auxillary PC? Try these alternatives out if you can, It might work. It’s worth a try. Considering the potential entertainment you might get for finding that out.
    • A radical solution is to just buy a new GFX-card (once it has been established that it is indeed the culprit here). Stick with ATI, mind you. That is if you want to play redux and other MTW-stuff someday. HD4890 should work, it’s still available I think, I have one myself, it works decently enough with MTW/STW on XP-drives and these cards are strong enough run the latest eye-candy nonsense available on the market.

- Good luck

=================================

BURNY26, thanks man for trying to help out here, I wish more people had that kind of attitude in this thread. Now, you had a question of your own…

Quote Originally Posted by BURNY26 View Post
    Is it normal that when i start a campaign game for the first time ,there are only bout 9 factions playable?
    Yes, that is the way I have designed it.

Do i have to unlock them by kicking their arse or have i done something wrong with the installations ? (In custom battle i can already choose all the factions .)
    Multiplayer/solo battles are set up differently and other set of circumstances apply there – thus you are indeed able to select all factions in Redux on VI/V.2.01 but not while running upon V.1.1 versions of redux. Unlocking factions in the way you describe is not possible in MTW due to hardcoding (still, all factions can be unlocked in other ways, by modding).

As for redux seemingly have “too few” available factions to play… I’ll be happy to have that discussion once you (or anybody else) have played thru some 15-20 proper redux-campaigns, preferably at least twice with each faction available by the default design. Then any such discussion would be meaningful to some degree. At this point you simply don’t have had a sporting chance to gather enough "redux-experience" to realize that redux and MTW is hardly the same thing or even similar in how they internally function as games. While your (intended?) references to raw MTW (and work based on that perhaps) are understandable – I would hardly consider it as advisable or practical as far as redux goes.

There is little doubt that redux due to design offers more diversity and thus a more challenging and demanding game in general, while raw MTW offers another kind of game with more structural conformity by design, which in turn allows standardized solutions to be more viable and efficient. I know this because I have played raw MTW for at least 3-4 years straight before I ever started to work on MTW-redux. I know both well enough to be able to see and identify most distinctions between the two – personally I think that this is a necessary prerequisite in order to successfully discuss them in a combined context somehow.

Redux is more or less a new game – which by all means offer familiar settings, same kind of elements, activities and components but internally there are few similarities to be found; models, mechanics and variables are with little exception created from scratch, usually ignoring the previous CA-design, as the new stuff were created on the drawing-table. Redux is literally designed “outside the box” and it does not attempt try to hide that either. Factions and the number of factions, how these are designed, including playable ones, and the overall approach to that are no exceptions to that rule. Nor should it be...

Anything else, fire away people...

- Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    BURNY26, thanks man for trying to help out here, I wish more people had that kind of attitude in this thread. Now, you had a question of your own…
    One is glad to be of service

Multiplayer/solo battles are set up differently and other set of circumstances apply there – thus you are indeed able to select all factions in Redux on VI/V.2.01 but not while running upon V.1.1 versions of redux. Unlocking factions in the way you describe is not possible in MTW due to hardcoding (still, all factions can be unlocked in other ways, by modding).

As for redux seemingly have “too few” available factions to play… I’ll be happy to have that discussion once you (or anybody else) have played thru some 15-20 proper redux-campaigns, preferably at least twice with each faction available by the default design. Then any such discussion would be meaningful to some degree. At this point you simply don’t have had a sporting chance to gather enough "redux-experience" to realize that redux and MTW is hardly the same thing or even similar in how they internally function as games. While your (intended?) references to raw MTW (and work based on that perhaps) are understandable – I would hardly consider it as advisable or practical as far as redux goes.

There is little doubt that redux due to design offers more diversity and thus a more challenging and demanding game in general, while raw MTW offers another kind of game with more structural conformity by design, which in turn allows standardized solutions to be more viable and efficient. I know this because I have played raw MTW for at least 3-4 years straight before I ever started to work on MTW-redux. I know both well enough to be able to see and identify most distinctions between the two – personally I think that this is a necessary prerequisite in order to successfully discuss them in a combined context somehow.

Redux is more or less a new game – which by all means offer familiar settings, same kind of elements, activities and components but internally there are few similarities to be found; models, mechanics and variables are with little exception created from scratch, usually ignoring the previous CA-design, as the new stuff were created on the drawing-table. Redux is literally designed “outside the box” and it does not attempt try to hide that either. Factions and the number of factions, how these are designed, including playable ones, and the overall approach to that are no exceptions to that rule. Nor should it be...

Anything else, fire away people...

- Cheers
    Pls dont misunderstand me ,im not criticising. I would the last one to ever do so . Kudos for you to be able to mod a game on your own! I was just drawing a comparison between SP and MP.But now im a little bit confused , you said
    Multiplayer/solo battles are set up differently and other set of circumstances apply there – thus you are indeed able to select all factions in Redux on VI/V.2.01 but not while running upon V.1.1 versions of redux.
    Which means yes you can play all of em.And than you say :
    As for redux seemingly have “too few” available factions to play…
    Sry for asking , so you cant play them in SP?
    Last edited by BURNY26; February 24, 2010 at 06:35 PM.

Hi Burny26, let’s sort this out once for all, shall we?

Now, if we can all agree upon that MP/custom battles does not offer the same game-experiences and overall circumstances as single player campaigns does - then we can also agree upon that this warrants a different kind of design or at least make it understandable why a different design is, or can be, applied to it. In redux this ultimately means…

Redux upon MTW V.1.1
    ======================
    Redux-SPC = Single Player Campaign = 8 playable factions, as listed.
    Redux-MP = Multiplayer/custom battles = 12 playable factions, as listed.

Thus available/playable factions vary depending on the kind of game-type
    we are playing. This is rather standard for most PC-games.

Redux upon MTW VI/V2.01
    ======================
    Redux-SPC = Single Player Campaign = 8 playable factions, as listed. +Russia as a bonus (so 9 factions then).
    Redux-Multiplayer/custom battles = 18 playable factions (12 factions + 6 bonus factions), as listed... The regular Redux-MP-file was omitted*

Thus available/playable factions vary depending on the kind of game-type
    we are playing. This is rather standard for most PC-games.

* Due to inconsistencies in CA-core design VI/V.2.01 is structurally different than the previous version V.1.1. It creates the effect (among other things) that all factions become playable in MP-mode, for some X reason. I simply did not bother to limit it to 12 factions as it should be since I decided that this circumstance was so nominal that it was not worth the fuss – I just omitted the Redux MP-file for this version because it had no effect. This in turn, creates the situation that as we run redux on VI/V.2.01 we can play all factions in MP but not in SP – due to conscious design and several other practical reasons. Personally I simply regard it as a bonus-feature for the VI-version…

...so you cant play them in SP?
    In short; no you can't... Not while using default design anyhow...

We can of course alter these circumstances by modding and adding various GFX-files etc. etc. However, I will not take any responsibility for it since that is not part of my designs. In my experience some of these “non-available” factions do generate anomalies, weirdness or shortcomings that I simply don’t want present in redux, and all that have its origins due to CA-hardcoding and not because of my designs (especially true in V.1.1). Personally, I find any such stuff unacceptable for redux and thus I made sure to “close it down” for such (and other) reasons, in order to offer a solid game without a lot of anomalies and a bunch of ??? That may be acceptable for others, but not for me.

My perspective is all versions, not just VI/V.2.01 or what might work there. All too many people, all too often fail to get that. They simply see what might be possible in the VI-version. That’s ok, but I do not design only for VI. I design for both versions and that is my perspective for redux. I also want both versions to be virtually the same, so it won’t matter much what version we got as we discuss redux somehow. However, this doesn’t somehow exclude the possibility that somebody else could do a strictly VI-compatible expansion or mod for the redux if they like (whatever the scale).

Anything else, fire away people…

- Cheers

thx axalon , i completly understand now

Just a small question not considering redux .
    Yesterday i had an interesting discussion bout mod tools for NTW. And at the end there was some sort of a consensus that CA should release mod tools when they dont use them anymore ,that is, have moved on to another engine and the sorts .

My question to you ,did CA release mod tools for MTW ,since you said hardcoded? (Or did you mean ,just too complex but possible to mod with proper tools ?) ... not a reproach
    Last edited by BURNY26; February 26, 2010 at 12:37 PM.