Page 32 of 35 FirstFirst ... 72223242526272829303132333435 LastLast

Thread: Medieval Total War - Redux (Beta)

Axalon's Avatar She-Hulk wills it!

Default Re: Medieval Total War - Redux (Beta)

10 years at the TWC!

As it stands, Redux has managed to go beyond the 10-year marker... Imagine that, 10 mighty years! By internet time it’s a small eternity, and its kind of hard to believe for me too. At the TWC, it all started with this very thread in Sep 2008, and here I am, still posting here, and others do too! Amazing! I remember, my first time here at the TWC, being so frustrated that I could not get any damned people to post and especially to actually try my mod/work! It was annoying as hell, just read the first 30-40 posts or so in this thread and you can see that all over. Obviously, things changed, and tons of stuff happened on the road to get all the way to now 2018.

The first version of Redux really was a very different beast then what you guys can download today. It really was more of an expansion of the raw game, building on that. However it had some innovations too. For instance, the colorized campaign-map was included in that release. Before then, such a notion was thing was essentially unheard of in the world of MTW. Another innovation was the use faction-colors applied to the knights horses. Maybe some more but I don’t remember all the details…

One of the first promo-pics I ever did for Redux, back in 2008. One of the innovations with Redux 1.0 was the active use of faction-colors on agents like
    emissaries & princesses for instance. Previously it had always been confined to the base only .Note that the princess-pieces were also very different back
    then, as were their portraits and the Lombard shields too. The logo was different as well...

Over the years there have been so many changes, that I more or less lost track of it all. Few things are still included today, that came with the initial (public) release. Some of these few things are the various portraits/artwork of Spies, Druids and Bishops. I still use them today… Also, a bunch of the Hero-portraits (Catholic) has managed this feat, as well. Other then that there is not much left of that first release back in Aug 2008. And that was just for V1.1, as there was no VI/V2.01-version around at first.

Soon after, in October a second edition dubbed “Redux 1.0b”, was publicly released. It was basically an improved and more polished version of its predecessor, but the overall ideas and designs where still rather similar, and fairly close to the raw game by todays standards. Despite all that, it still managed to end up tougher and more challenging then the raw game. Due to improved designs. Of course, it was nowhere close to the possible challenge-levels we got today in Redux - but in those days it was generally considered tough. Close to that release, there was various patches crafted and Redux became ported to VI/V.2.01 games, for the first time.

By 2009, the plans for a 3rd Edition of Redux was in full swing. Planned to be released in the summer. It would never happen, as Redux got delayed well
    beyond that point. Also, note that the Portuguese unit-banners where quite different back then...

By 2010, 3rd Edition Redux was still not released when this promowork was made public. Note the cryptic "release 2010". Anyhow, the pagan Norse have
    always had a special place in Redux, much more so then in raw MTW. The 3rd Edition was planned to offer more such content and units then had been
    included before and make each unit more distinct too. Btw, many of these units are still in use even today...

It would take some 3 years (March 2011) before another version of Redux actually publicly released. It was dubbed the Redux Beta 1000... Once released, it showed that tons of things had happened up to that point, both in the project as such - drastic changes in designs and artwork for instance, but also around the project. It had established itself in the public eye, as one of the then “big four” (BKB-supermod, MedMod, XL and Redux). It had even been awarded and recognized here at the TWC, in 2010. Together with the beta1001 (released a month or two later) it would lay the first foundation of what we know as Redux today. I had worked like crazy with that release. New AI-system, redesigned combat-model, new weapons & shield-animations, new tech-tree – you name it. I also had help from a few brave souls that helped out in various ways "for the greater good of Redux"… At any rate, the changes introduced with the Beta1000/1001 was massive. Despite all that, there was plenty of errors and bugs - so the beta1002 was published in the summer of 2011. It was a much better release, as I recall.

It might be interesting in retrospect to see how Redux campmaps have actually evolved during these ten years. It started out as fairly faithful to the original
    map but in 2011 all that was gone - instead we had an entirely new style for Redux - which eventually became darker and darker for some reason...

In 2012 came the beta1003, which was better and more polished version then the beta1002. At the end of 2013, the beta1004 was finally introduced (having been delayed). And with it we take yet another important jump closer to the Redux we know today… Initially it had problems with the AI-performance as the AI had been redesigned yet again (problems were limited to the VI/v.2.01-variant, as the V1.1 performed just fine)… After a bunch of bugs and serious panic, it seems to have been resolved to decent enough levels anyways. 2014 the beta1005 was introduced. The beta1005 had a much better release, and much less problems as I remember it. All the same, in 2016, beta1006 hit the world. Lots of new and important artwork in that release – princesses! What else could be more important?! Over the years, few things have generated as much fuss and opinions as the RX-princesses. There are only a few things that I have worked on as much, and as hard as these damn girls. Now, since people have ceased to post opinions about them (da girls!). I take it that they are good and sexy enough by now…

This montage was created to showcase the various new princesses included in the RXB1006, released at the end of 2016. Redux had several incarnations and
    versions of princesses before this batch - but these are probably the most "spot-on" in terms of style and what I always wanted for Redux...

Anyways, at the end of 2017 we had the last release that make up Redux as we know it today – the beta1007. Comparing that with the first release of 2008 is more or less like night and day, I think. Yet it too contains some errors/bugs here and there, which are slowly fixed and stamped out - up till now there have been released 3 hotfixes, so far. So that particular part have not changed much... Still, I think the 1007 have come a long way from the early days, the designs are radically different, as is the overall experience and circumstances delivered, as is the visual experience provided if we compare it all to both the original game or the first Redux of 2008...

Anyhow, what do you folks think of the long journey Redux have had over the last decade and the current RXB1007-
    performance and experience in general, do tell/post! After all, its not every day we honour/celebrate 10 years here!

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; November 06, 2018 at 07:52 AM. Reason: corrections...

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

You should really request a FP announcement from the news team.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Congrats mate! Medieval Total War was my first game on the series and I had a lot of fun playing it! I'm happy to see the work you have put on the game!

Nizam's Avatar Ordinarius

still no the turks?

Ottoman Total Overhaul received the 2nd favorite Overhaul/Compilation Mod - 2016 award!
    by_TotalWarTurkiye

Thanks for posting you guys...

Quote Originally Posted by Nizam View Post
    still no the turks?
    Nah, still no Turks... If you want Turks in RXB1007 then you make it happen. I doubt anybody else will. I know I won't, as I have already explained many times - I have my overall designs already and they in turn don't afford Turkey as it is, so that is that. You will have too do such a submod yourself. And, if you prefer to pass on Redux because of just that detail - then its your loss.

Anything else, fire away folks...

- A

Does that also applies for the Sicilicians too when the island Malta cannot be found on the campaign map?

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Well Leo, its basically like this...

Quote Originally Posted by Axalon View Post
    Q. Where is the Turkish faction?
    A. Nowhere, they are not included in Redux, due to new and different designs…. The same can be said of the Swiss, Sicilians, Novgorods, Golden Horde and Denmark. I did redesign the game all over and this is one of the results of all that. Next question….
    The Sicilians are replaced by the Lombard-faction in Redux...

- A

I see, that explains it. Thanks, Axalon.

Lombard? Isn't that a little too South for them?

If they are centred around Milan, I would hardly think so. See for yourself...

- A

If you refer to the game map in ETW then it's accurate for the Milan region since that was a Spanish starting region in the early campaign, but if you refer to how it is in MTW Redux then I think it's a little too South.

Nizam's Avatar Ordinarius

Delete these fatimids/egypt and add The Turks.

Mate, can you imagine medieval era without The Turks. Your explanation is not logical. I am talking about "The Turks" your answer pleb swis and sicilians... Who care these little villages? These villages are not equal with The Turks. Game is ending at 1453. But we can't play as the Turks. This is sooooo disgusting.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; November 14, 2018 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Off-topic part removed

Ottoman Total Overhaul received the 2nd favorite Overhaul/Compilation Mod - 2016 award!
    by_TotalWarTurkiye

Really?

Last time I checked... Redux traditionally starts at 700 AD and ends at 1260 AD, with the arrival of gunpowder. The Turks - strictly historically speaking - arrives to the areas of modern day Turkey sometime after 1050 AD. The bulk of the Redux experience - its general timeframe, while overtly being a stylized constructed anachronism - is still intended to be generally focused on some mythic era ahead/prior of that period. These circumstances are somehow also reflected in the overall designs of Redux - as unbelievable, unthinkable and strange as that may seem to you...

Anyways, you don't like it - I get that - despite you clearly have no idea what the hell you are actually talking about here. This is REDUX, not the basic game.... Never mind... If you want to include the Turks somehow on your own - then do so, and it will be fine, excellent and ok - but don't expect me to do it, because it will not happen (for multiple reasons, many of which are already explained). And, you won't be able to "shame me" into doing it either - that stunt might work on others these days, but it won't work on me.

Next...

- A

As for post: 630....

"The capital of the [Lombard] kingdom and the center of its political life was Pavia in the modern
    northern Italian region of Lombardy.
    " Wikipedia (Kingdom of the Lombards). Clarification and coloring mine...

So, that essentially places the Lombard's spot on as far as I am concerned - Pavia being located some 35 km south of Milan. While Redux at large deliberately provides an anachronistic and romanticized fiction in general - it happens to be rather accurate in this particular instance, evidently. If you still don't agree, then so be it.

Anything else, fire away folks...

- A

My bad, I stand corrected. You're correct and when I think of it, it is actually a good idea to include a faction like the Lombards into a game in a mod. I probably miss the island Malta too much in-game hence my post.

Btw... I read this about Pavia, the capital of the Lombard Kingdom. Check out the map selector in that page.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    Artifex Moderator Emeritus

Congrats for the 10 year anniversary. Redux is arguably one of my favorite mods!
    Thanks for all you hard work mate

Hello everyone,

As fate would have it, I am about to embark on my next great adventure in life, namely... A six months journey of the USA for empirical field studies in babeology - this in order to gather source-material for my future PHD-thesis "Hypercapitalism, Marxist theory & American stripper-bars - an intertextual study of the American zeitgeist."

Sadly, this also means that I can no longer maintain, support or work further with the MTW-Redux project. I am afraid that this will be - by necessity - indefinitely, and I would therefore like to take this chance to thank everyone who supported Redux over the years. The Redux-project will be officially discontinued as of the 10th of May. Thus, I urge everyone to take this time to secure yourself a copy of Redux while you still can (before the 10th)...

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; April 04, 2019 at 08:30 AM. Reason: clean up...

Hello everyone,

As fate would have it, I am about to embark on my next great adventure in life, namely... A six months journey of the USA for empirical field studies in babeology - this in order to gather source-material for my future PHD-thesis "Hypercapitalism, Marxist theory & American stripper-bars - an intertextual study of the American zeitgeist."

Sadly, this also means that I can no longer maintain, support or work further with the MTW-Redux project. I am afraid that this will be - by necessity - indefinitely, and I would therefore like to take this chance to thank everyone who supported Redux over the years. The Redux-project will be officially discontinued as of the 10th of May. Thus, I urge everyone to take this time to secure yourself a copy of Redux while you still can (before the 10th)...

- A
    Aw man, sad to see you go; really appreciate your work helping keep MTW alive. Since you said to download Redux before the 10th of May, does that mean you're going to pull it from the web after that day? Also, I live in the US, so feel free to DM me if you ever end up in the Mid-Atlantic region; I could send you a list of cool places to visit.

No worries Lurch (and thanks)... It might very well come to all that one day (that I for some reason need to abandon the Redux-project, or may even finish it!) - but not today. As it stands, it was merely me allowing myself to sneak in some Aprils-fools joke here - on da big day. Redux will not be discontinued on the 10th of may. And I will not be studying stripper-bars in the USA for 6 months either....

Anyhow, while I am here. Any folks playing Redux now or are considering to play it? Everyone are good?
    Anyone have some "Reduxy" thing to post or comment here? Or some other stuff along those lines?

- A

No worries Lurch (and thanks)... It might very well come to all that one day (that I for some reason need to abandon the Redux-project, or may even finish it!) - but not today. As it stands, it was merely me allowing myself to sneak in some Aprils-fools joke here - on da big day. Redux will not be discontinued on the 10th of may. And I will not be studying stripper-bars in the USA for 6 months either....

Anyhow, while I am here. Any folks playing Redux now or are considering to play it? Everyone are good?
    Anyone have some "Reduxy" thing to post or comment here? Or some other stuff along those lines?

- A
    Ugh. Should have checked the post date. Good one though, and glad you're not cancelling Redux.
    Last edited by LordLurch; April 17, 2019 at 08:01 PM.

3000+ downloads!

Folks, as of this weekend the RXB1007 has managed to generate over 3000 downloads in total (since release), which of course is fantastic but also amazing as the base-game (MTW1) is... Almost 17 freaking years old, which is essentially a small eternity in the fleeting world of video-games. Yup, almost 17 years old AND a sequel on top as well! As unlikely candidate as that, and still some people evidently keep playing MTW and Redux all the same! It is some 13 years since the RX-project started - more then 10 years (and counting) on the public scene. Needles to say, the RXB1007 and the entire Redux-project have exceeded any expectation I had (or dared to have) on it, as I first started working on it in 2006. Its all somewhat unbelievable and amazing to me - yet its true... Imagine that....

Any comments/thoughts on all this?

- A
    Last edited by Axalon; July 09, 2019 at 03:38 AM. Reason: clarity...